View Full Version : GoPro Motorsports Cameras - anyone use 'em?

KnoxNinja
January 9th, 2009, 02:32 AM
http://www.goprocamera.com/

I just ordered the HERO Wide. I can't wait until next week... I hope the weather is warm enough to try it out on a bike. I've already got a host of ideas for the thing... I'll probably dunk it in the fish tank, tie it to balloons, and mount it to the hood of the car in the first week. I'm hoping SCCA regulations will allow me to mount it during autocross and rallycross events. I also hope the suction cup is strong enough to hold during rallycross. I guess I'll find out. I'll post up some videos after it arrives and I get to play with it.

Anyone else use these cameras?

kkim
January 9th, 2009, 03:47 AM
There have been a few vids shot by members on this board that have used the regular and wide. Check out the vid section... minizoom's canyon ride, kurosaki's track day and racebikerentals vids were all shot using the hero camera.

I'm on the fence about it... haven't been able to find out if the batteries are rechargeable or not.

KnoxNinja
January 9th, 2009, 05:31 AM
Thanks, I'll check those out. The sample vids look pretty good. The batteries aren't included... it uses standard AAA. I'll probably buy rechargable lithium ones since I plan to use it quite a bit. I'll make sure to do a full review of the camera after I've had time to play with it extensively.

HKr1
January 9th, 2009, 11:29 AM
I have one, bought it used from a so called dealer/cop. Made one nice vid around the block, then the day before heading to the track it was acting up.
Tried taking some vids at the track, it didnt work :(

I contacted GoPro about trying to get it fixed(told them how I purchased it), said they would do everything possible to get me a working camera. Well that they did, I sent mine in.... They sent me a bran new one! So GoPro's customer service freaking rocks in my book :thumbup:

Just waiting for the next track day to make some vids :)

kkim
January 9th, 2009, 01:20 PM
Can you comment on the battery issue? are they rechargeable?

HKr1
January 9th, 2009, 03:38 PM
Can you comment on the battery issue? are they rechargeable?

Battery issue? Doesnt come with batts.... I just used regular batt's in it. The guy we bought it from said Lithium batts worked best. I dont think re-chargeable ones would be that good :confused:

GoPro should vid for 56min on 2gb card, I havent had the chance to see how long it will go on a new set of batts. Maybe(you got me thinking now) I should test it around here & see before the next track day :thumbup:

KnoxNinja
January 9th, 2009, 03:46 PM
Sounds pretty good... I hope they are that customer friendly when mine gets torn to pieces. "Hey... it said shock proof. In my book, a fall from 5000 feet is considered SHOCK."

From their website: "Power: 2XAAA not included." "Lithium batteries recommended."

You can get a pack of 4 Energizer E2 AAA rechargables for about 15 bucks at an electronics store. Maybe cheaper at Walmart.

Edit: I think this would be ideal: http://www.batteryjunction.com/2aaaenliaaah.html

HKr1
January 9th, 2009, 03:53 PM
Hey, the suction cup thing is really strong :)

KnoxNinja
January 10th, 2009, 06:24 AM
Let's hope so... I should stick it to the cat and see how long it holds :lol:

KnoxNinja
January 16th, 2009, 08:00 AM
My camera finally came. Unfortunately, no good weather came with it. So it's going to be awhile before I really get to put it to the test. So far, I've found the suction cup to be very strong on most surfaces and the video quality isn't too bad. The sound leaves something to be desired. Even out of the protective casing it doesn't seem to pick much up. I doubt it'll have any trouble picking up my bikes though, particularly the 500. I'll do a full review when I get a chance to really test it.

noche_caliente
January 16th, 2009, 09:06 AM
Jimi - are you in single digits today too?

KnoxNinja
January 17th, 2009, 12:41 AM
Yeah... and again tomorrow. Absolutely miserable. I'd like to think my bikes are warm in the garage but the thermometer in there was reading 36 this morning!

KnoxNinja
January 21st, 2009, 02:39 AM
Got a chance to test out the new camera yesterday. The weather was too much on the horrible side for the bikes, but the Subie loved it...

So far I'm semi-impressed... the camera is fun and definitely waterproof, however the sound sucks something terrible as you can tell from the video.

TnNinjaGirl
January 21st, 2009, 09:38 AM
Looks like you had fun. Sorry I couldn't make it. Someone has to pay my bills and no one else seems to be stepping up... Is there a place on that camera for an external microphone? Otherwise the video looks great!!

kkim
January 21st, 2009, 11:30 AM
however the sound sucks something terrible as you can tell from the video. did you have the sound adjusted down as is provided to cut the wind/engine noise?

KnoxNinja
January 21st, 2009, 06:21 PM
Thanks for the edit, Alex! I had the sound on the HI setting, as the LO setting muffles things even more. There's no input for an external mic, which I think is the biggest drawback of the camera.

Looks like the weather is going to warm up the next couple days, which means I'll be mounting this thing to a bike...