View Full Version : event data recorder on the 300....Really??

RockyCapone
October 11th, 2012, 02:04 PM
Guess we should of seen this coming with F.I. Big brother always watching.

EsrTek
October 11th, 2012, 02:06 PM
wtf are you talking about

lgk
October 11th, 2012, 02:06 PM
are you saying the ECU logs data?

RockyCapone
October 11th, 2012, 02:11 PM
records the last 5 seconds prior to a crash from what I understand. If thats the case I dont like that.

csmith12
October 11th, 2012, 02:16 PM
Cars have been doing it for years. And I know first hand from experience, the po po will go after it if they think it can help their case.

Ain't technology a b*tch sometimes.

RockyCapone
October 11th, 2012, 02:20 PM
Cars have been doing it for years. And I know first hand from experience, the po po will go after it if they think it can help their case.

Ain't technology a b*tch sometimes.Thats what I was afraid of!!!! Now in todays world people record the rides a lot, and if something happens and you record it the police can take your camera like it or not. Now that the bike records info can they take the bike? Im sure they can figure something out. NOT to mention if you mod the bike-I'm sure warranty would love an excuse to file your claim. Well played Kawasaki.....well played:jaw:So, look forward to bike seizures after every accident

Jiggles
October 11th, 2012, 02:23 PM
Thats what I was afraid of!!!! Now in todays world people record the rides a lot, and if something happens and you record it the police can take your camera like it or not. Now that the bike records info can they take the bike? Im sure they can figure something out. NOT to mention if you mod the bike-I'm sure warranty would love an excuse to file your claim. Well played Kawasaki.....well played:jaw:

Now when you run into that truck going 100mph you can't say you were doing 65. Too bad.

RockyCapone
October 11th, 2012, 02:26 PM
Whoever has a new 300 does it mention this in the owners manual?

lgk
October 11th, 2012, 02:27 PM
Thats what I was afraid of!!!! Now in todays world people record the rides a lot, and if something happens and you record it the police can take your camera like it or not. Now that the bike records info can they take the bike? Im sure they can figure something out. NOT to mention if you mod the bike-I'm sure warranty would love an excuse to file your claim. Well played Kawasaki.....well played:jaw:So, look forward to bike seizures after every accident

"black box" tech is a double edged sword, it can really help you win or make you fail.

you just have to be more careful of how you mod a bike, and what you do...

i plan on disabling it, and gutting the bike.
the warranty won't matter too much to me...

Alex
October 11th, 2012, 02:28 PM
Yes, there is a note in the owners manual about an EDR on board. The law is very young for these. Some companies will only release it to law enforcement after subpoenas, others are more forthcoming.

/moved to the "300 discussion" area

csmith12
October 11th, 2012, 02:34 PM
I don't think you will have to worry about bike seizures in general. In my friends crash there was a "wrongful death" case pending and they wanted it to help their case. Getting speed of travel WAS their goal. It doesn't really track your speed at any given time but there is enough data there about timing, air vs fuel mix and so on to give an estimate of speed. Not sure how well it holds up in court though. Guess I will find out.

alex.s
October 11th, 2012, 03:26 PM
does this mean i can put the progressive spy device on a 300 and get obsurd insurance rates?

xSean13
October 11th, 2012, 03:30 PM
Here's an idea: don't speed or break the law.

Alex
October 11th, 2012, 03:30 PM
No, the bike does not have an OBDII port like cars. While the electronics on some bikes are certainly getting sophisticated enough to support such standard ports, none of them have them as of yet. I would be curious what interface is used to read the data from the EDR, or if it requires removal of the device itself from the bike to get at the data.

Sapper
October 12th, 2012, 10:38 AM
:thumbup:

Nemesis
October 12th, 2012, 10:43 AM

Here's a better idea: Just don't get caught when you do break the law. :D

psych0hans
October 12th, 2012, 10:50 AM

Not sure if that's ever possible in my part of town... Lol :rolleyes:

xSean13
October 12th, 2012, 11:09 AM
Not sure if that's ever possible in my part of town... Lol :rolleyes:

Lol, well, idk how the culture is down there.

Here's a better idea: Just don't get caught when you do break the law. :D

Better? Not really. Alternative idea? Yes.

choneofakind
October 12th, 2012, 11:53 AM
I don't see an issue with this. It's been in cars and planes forever.

1) If I have an accident that's my fault, I'm fessing up to it and fixing it. I won't blame someone else for my mistake. Therefore, big brother knowing how fast I was moving is not an issue.
2) If I get into an accident that's not my fault, I want proof that what I'm saying is true. That's the same reason I ride with a camera. (well, before it broke...)

StephenA
October 12th, 2012, 04:06 PM

exxxactly.:amen:

250rr
October 12th, 2012, 06:49 PM

I will never advocate breaking the law. The only problem is when local governmental agencies purposely set speed limits low to set up speed traps, rather than relying on traffic engineer's studies. Often for revenue generating goals.

From the National Motorists Association website:

"Speed limits should be based on sound traffic-engineering principles that consider responsible motorists' actual travel speeds.

Typically, this should result in speed limits set at the 85th percentile speed of free-flowing traffic (the speed under which 85 percent of traffic is traveling).

These limits should be periodically adjusted to reflect changes in actual traffic speeds."

choneofakind
October 13th, 2012, 08:56 AM
^^ True that. Revenue builders suck

bdavison
October 13th, 2012, 09:39 AM
What's that deadman's cord go to?

50,000 volt stun gun set to fry ECU in the event I dump it. Eat that progressive.

Jiggles
October 13th, 2012, 09:54 AM

50,000 volt stun gun set to fry ECU in the event I dump it. Eat that progressive.

Nice, turn a driveway drop into a complete electrical replacement

lgk
October 13th, 2012, 05:21 PM

might as well rap the ecu in priming fuse and fill the seat with magnesium flakes.
works like a charm.

there will be no evidence left, lol.

LiquidShell
January 16th, 2013, 12:13 PM
If you're involved in crash on your motorcycle where the EDR data needs to be downloaded and interpreted, its content will not concern you because you will be DEAD. They are used during investigations of fatal crashes or those with serious bodily injuries where death is probable. **Search warrant or owner's consent required **

alex.s
January 16th, 2013, 12:15 PM
its true. only a judge can take your data.

JBinSD
January 16th, 2013, 05:42 PM
yeah, but as one of those damn attorneys, if I want the info, I can issue a subpoena all on my own, and get that info easily. As always, it helps or hurts, but accountability is always growing and big bro is always watching. . . :rolleyes:

ally99
January 17th, 2013, 05:13 PM

Wut? **** that.

ddrmanxbxfr
January 17th, 2013, 06:13 PM
Anyhow, that doesn't make any sense putting a recorder to get stats like speed.

You could do a track day and do a lot of WOT then after your track day, get hit by a car. They'll read the ECU «uh uh he was doing triple digits mph».

Meh not true was on the track.

Oh well can't do much about it.

ddrmanxbxfr
January 17th, 2013, 06:14 PM
might as well rap the ecu in priming fuse and fill the seat with magnesium flakes.
works like a charm.

ooohh yeah :D

lgk
January 17th, 2013, 06:54 PM
ooohh yeah :D

one of the coolest things i did in chemistry class, lol.

for science :cheers:

LoneRonin
January 19th, 2013, 06:26 AM

No, just don't crash or get caught...

**** the Police, Support the Troops.

xSean13
January 19th, 2013, 08:38 AM
No, just don't crash or get caught...

**** the Police, Support the Troops.

My brother-in-law is a police officer. Police put their life on the line every day/night to protect people. They deal with the worst kinds of people on a daily basis, which molds their attitude to be extra cautious with people and may come off as douchey. **** the police, really? Grow up, dude.

LoneRonin
January 19th, 2013, 07:20 PM
My brother-in-law is a police officer. Police put their life on the line every day/night to protect people. They deal with the worst kinds of people on a daily basis, which molds their attitude to be extra cautious with people and may come off as douchey. **** the police, really? Grow up, dude.

Half those mofos are the worst kinds of people themselves. I speak from my own interactions and dealings with them...
This is them at their finest. Yes, I know they're not all like this but when there's 5-6 armed men kicking the **** out of a defenseless unarmed individual, I don't give a **** what his crime is, that's straight thuggery...Ask you bro in law what he thinks about this video and his fellow officers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDTIviQp2pM

Jiggles
January 19th, 2013, 09:33 PM
Half those mofos are the worst kinds of people themselves. I speak from my own interactions and dealings with them...
This is them at their finest. Yes, I know they're not all like this but when there's 5-6 armed men kicking the **** out of a defenseless unarmed individual, I don't give a **** what his crime is, that's straight thuggery...Ask you bro in law what he thinks about this video and his fellow officers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDTIviQp2pM

And all bikers are a bunch of asshole stunting pricks

QlsuYe8ARL4

Yea, thats YOUR logic right there, hardly something to be proud of.

Peanut_EOD
January 19th, 2013, 09:51 PM
works like a charm.

That won't work and there will be plenty of evidence.:angry7:Trust me....:flipthebird:

lgk
January 19th, 2013, 10:33 PM
That won't work and there will be plenty of evidence.:angry7:Trust me....:flipthebird:

i trust you based your screen name:D

i figured the 800 degree starter would damage the electronics/soldering to the point of costing too much money to salvage and the magnesium fire would erase the data in the chip by melting parts of it.

wasnt trying to destroy the whole bike, lol.
i want the motor bad:D

LoneRonin
January 19th, 2013, 10:44 PM
And all bikers are a bunch of asshole stunting pricks

Yea, thats YOUR logic right there, hardly something to be proud of.

No. A rider cannot be held accountable to follow a code of conduct or anything similar. Whether they choose to follow the law is their decision.

A cop is obligated to be lawful in their conduct while performing their duties. Whether or not what they were doing is lawful is up to you to decide...

In one scene you see the guy flying outta the car that's flipping over and laying face down, then 4-5 cops all take turns pounding him in the back of the head. How the hell can you explain that??

Imagine a rider decided to run from the cops and ends up going down, then the cops rolled up on his limp lifeless body and started beating the hell out of him. Would you be ok with that??

Peanut_EOD
January 19th, 2013, 10:45 PM
i trust you based your screen name:D

i figured the 800 degree starter would damage the electronics/soldering to the point of costing too much money to salvage and the magnesium fire would erase the data in the chip by melting parts of it.

wasnt trying to destroy the whole bike, lol.
i want the motor bad:D

Fair enough. I just try to stick to the track so I don't need to be concerned with the data logger.

lgk
January 20th, 2013, 05:44 AM
Fair enough. I just try to stick to the track so I don't need to be concerned with the data logger.

Im also planning track days too, that ecu will be gone and replaced with an all in one solution that provides fuel tuning capability, auto tune, and ignition tuning.:D

The data logger will work only when i tell it to, and only collect data i think is useful.
As it should be.

EsrTek
January 20th, 2013, 06:22 AM
The data recorder is something that all new bikes/cars will have some type of, instead of complaining just buy you and older bike/car without one. Big brother has many other ways to know what you do anyway...

Jiggles
January 20th, 2013, 11:43 AM
No. A rider cannot be held accountable to follow a code of conduct or anything similar. Whether they choose to follow the law is their decision.

A cop is obligated to be lawful in their conduct while performing their duties. Whether or not what they were doing is lawful is up to you to decide...

In one scene you see the guy flying outta the car that's flipping over and laying face down, then 4-5 cops all take turns pounding him in the back of the head. How the hell can you explain that??

Imagine a rider decided to run from the cops and ends up going down, then the cops rolled up on his limp lifeless body and started beating the hell out of him. Would you be ok with that??

No? People aren't expected to be law abiding moral and ethical? Do you get so upset over murders and rapists? Direct your hatred at a worthy cause because right now everyone on this site thinks you're a prick.

Your logic is fail, you cannot judge a group of people based on the actions of a few. Grow up.

choneofakind
January 20th, 2013, 05:51 PM
I think it's time for the PM function to get some use gentlemen.

LoneRonin
January 21st, 2013, 06:37 PM
No? People aren't expected to be law abiding moral and ethical? Do you get so upset over murders and rapists? Direct your hatred at a worthy cause because right now everyone on this site thinks you're a prick.

Your logic is fail, you cannot judge a group of people based on the actions of a few. Grow up.

you of all people telling someone to grow up. Go flap your lips somewhere else. Now you're comparing some guys stunting to murderers and rapists...on a ****ing bike forum....GTFO.

Jiggles
January 21st, 2013, 08:19 PM
Says the 16yr wanna be gang banger cop hater

vanman69
January 22nd, 2013, 12:15 AM
So back to this data logger, anyone know what looks like and if i can access the info on it?

ChaoSS
January 29th, 2013, 03:46 PM

If you kill someone, I am not responsible for your actions. When a police officer commits a crime, all police (locally) have a responsibility to act, to arrest that officer, and when that doesn't happen, all local police are responsible, at least, as accessories to the crime.

There are police departments where abuses are not tolerated, more often found in smaller towns and county SDs, but all too many police departments tolerate a great deal of abuse toward those that they are supposed to be protecting.

AYB_
March 1st, 2013, 05:01 PM

I love this line of thinking. Lets just let everyone monitor everything at any given time as well, if you have nothing to hide what does it matter right?

Xplorguy
March 24th, 2013, 04:33 PM
So back to this data logger, anyone know what looks like and if i can access the info on it?

There's a connector under the pillion that I suspect is for access to the data logger. Probably need a special tool to access the information. A forum member who has the service manual could verify this.........

Joshorilla
March 24th, 2013, 04:43 PM
If you're that worried about it just hook up a neon inverter to your ecu and a "kill switch" somewhere to fry the whole ecu.