View Full Version : Help! Looking for camera to mount to bike..

kooshbox
October 12th, 2012, 09:08 AM
Any recommendations for a camera to attach to my bike or helmet?
I'm thinking about the GoPro HERO 2. Are they the most popular to attach to helmets or bikes? Do I need a specific helmet to do this easily? Thanks.

Bosgarage57
October 12th, 2012, 09:12 AM
honestly gopro is the only way to go. You can get others, but the gopro is the easiest. It comes with a little peice that sticks onto your helmet with 3m tape.

kooshbox
October 12th, 2012, 09:19 AM
and that attachment is secure enough to stay onto any helmet?

csmith12
October 12th, 2012, 09:38 AM
If you want to be in the cool kid club, get a gopro. I like contours as well and the gps telemetry rocks.

You can attach them to the bike just about anywhere you can get a good "stick" with the mount. I suggest you safety wire it though in case the sticky mount fails.

csmith12
October 12th, 2012, 09:39 AM
and that attachment is secure enough to stay onto any helmet?

Yep, even at prolonged triple digit speeds.

NevadaWolf
October 12th, 2012, 10:01 AM
I'll toss in a recommendation for the Contour GPS. 1080p, can have up to a 32gb micro card, twistable lens so the body can be at any angle and still have an upright shot, gps which is cool, and Bluetooth enabled to see the image on your android device (iOS works but need a separate card).

Had mine mounted to my helmet during my wreck and it stuck on recording the whole thing. :thumbup:

kooshbox
October 12th, 2012, 10:01 AM
Sweet! Thanks Chris and Lucas! Any advice on a Shoei helmet to buy? :)

csmith12
October 12th, 2012, 10:39 AM
Sweet! Thanks Chris and Lucas! Any advice on a Shoei helmet to buy? :)

Never owned one but tried many on.

Obviously start with shell fitment and be sure to check for how much room you have between your chin and the chin area of the helmet. At higher speeds, wind can push it down to the point where it can hit your chin.

The rest comes down to price, personal comfort, padding, venting, weight and other things like design.

After trying on many shoei's, I opted for an arai helmet for my wife because it fit her better.

Hope that little bit helps you. Maybe someone with a shoei will chime in here about a specific model. And in the mean time you can check sportbiketrackgear's website for the video reviews. They are great.

toua70
October 12th, 2012, 11:05 AM
I'll just throw in my opinion. For cameras, I like the Drift HD cameras. I was debating to go with a gopro2 but I settled for the Drift because of all the features. I like it more because you can mount it just about anywhere you want to. It has a rotating lens and a LCD screen so you can check out the angle of your video instead of guessing and waiting to go home to plug it into your computer only to see your video is crap. The Drift HD also comes with a remote that I attach to my bagpack or my clip ons (if im wearing my one piece suit) so i can stop and start recording with a touch of a button. GoPro has good video quality though but I like the features on the drift much better.

Pros on the Drift:
- rotating lens
- mount anywhere
- remote control
- port for external mic
- LCD screen
- user friendly
- shoot 1080 30fps or 720 at 20, 30 or 60 fps

Cons on the Drift:
- only one i can think of is battery life (2-4 hours) be better to buy extra batteries off ebay

As far as shoei helmets go, they are nice but a little heavy and fogs up really easy. I had a shoei RF1000 and it fogs up like crazy.. My friend just bought a new one (I forget the name) its one of shoei's modular helmets with a built in pilot fighter type shield and its super heavy. Personally, I think my gmax fits better and is more comfortable than the shoei helmets.

bbonds007
October 13th, 2012, 02:55 PM
I vote for the Sony action cam, mainly for the steadycam feature, which if you hate shaky videos is a deal breaker.

3qa8mUWBXyk

Although there are some cons with Sony, like inaccessible ports when in its mounted (bad for vloggers who need that external mic). And while Sony has a wi-fi model, I think blutooth (available on Contour) just makes so much more sense when dealing with action shots that are usually not within wi-fi range or even 3g.

I would say Sony > Contour > Drift > Go pro 2

TGRIFF
October 13th, 2012, 07:09 PM
I have both of these cameras. I like the contour better on my Helmet and the GoPro better mounted on my bike. Recording picture quality seem to be the same for both but the wind noise on the contour is pretty loud. Most people make sweet videos with cool soundtracks so the wind noise doesn't really matter. My vote is Contour for the helmet and Go Pro for the bike.

Jiggles
October 14th, 2012, 04:51 PM
Wow, the sony's colors are terrible. It looks way too animated

kooshbox
October 14th, 2012, 09:23 PM
Nice. Lots of info and suggestions! Thanks everyone. Gonna compare em' all some more and decide. :D:D

psych0hans
October 14th, 2012, 09:57 PM
I was sold on the Sony at "steady shot"... Wifi would be nice too.