View Full Version : Best Anti-Fog for Helmet Shields

g21-30
January 9th, 2009, 03:42 PM
Tricky name that you are sure to remember. :D

http://store.ekusa.com/images/cat%20crap.jpg

http://store.ekusa.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_12&products_id=109

BlueTyke
January 9th, 2009, 06:15 PM
Cousin to Monkey Butt!

NJD022588
January 10th, 2009, 01:19 PM
I heard Rain-X on the inside of the shield would help stop fog, but havent tried it yet. If it doesnt, I will probably be buying this. Thanks for the link!

kkim
January 10th, 2009, 01:44 PM
Try it and let us know, though I would guess Rain-X would make it worse based on my experience with it on my car windshield.

NJD022588
January 10th, 2009, 02:14 PM
I LOVE it on my car windshield. Celica windshield wipers are absolutely horrible. I cant do anything to stop them from hopping, squeaking, and being just plain obnoxious (unless I replace the blades once a month!). So a combination on Rain-X on my windshield and Rain-X wiper fluid allow me to almost never use my windshield wipers.

Although, I dont really see how it's going to help prevent fogging up.. but its worth a try.

kkim
January 10th, 2009, 02:58 PM
I've found a Rain-X treated windshield will fog a little easier and I have to use the wipers to clear it off. I'm just talking about a windshield which has been treated on the outside.

Rain-X does not recommend using it on the inside of the car. They make a Fog-X for the inside glass to prevent inside fogging, which is a completely useless product. :(

As far as your wipers, I find cleaning the edge when I wash the car really helps. That, and I clean the edge of the wiper with window cleaner (windex) and if the wiper edge feels hard and brittle, I wipe some rubber protectant on the blade to make it soft and supple again.

If you park your car outside, that is really harsh on the rubber blades and they need attention often.

aloh
January 10th, 2009, 03:46 PM
I tried that catcrap stuff and its only decent. It helps reduce fogging, but it sure doesnt prevent it 100%. I got it for only 8 bucks shipped on ebay.

noche_caliente
January 10th, 2009, 07:35 PM
Nick - I got a new visor at that dealership by my house, you know the one, and they said that you should not put rain-x on the visor... the bad part is that I missed out on the reasoning because the kid started whining about wanting to watch thomas... :(

sprale
January 11th, 2009, 12:54 AM
Don't forget about inserts!

Here's a webbikeworld (http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/visors/fog-city-progrip.htm)article on them.

I'll probably be trying out the Fog City (http://www.modernworld.com/mw2008/index.php)one soon enough.

I don't really care about the outside, I don't mind wiping off excess water in the rain. I really hate having to open my visor to blow the fog out when it raining already.

Nemy
January 11th, 2009, 10:04 AM
if you're in the market for a new helmet check out the scorpion exo-700... great helmet and i've had absolutely no problems with fogging - and ive ridden in rain and snow...
Posted via Mobile Device

Sailariel
January 11th, 2009, 10:09 AM
Rain-X on the outside of a cage windscreen works fine. Rain-X anti fog is useless. Either one is useless on MC faceshields. I`m thinking of stopping at our local Dive Shop and getting some face mask anti fog. I do know that spitting on the inside of the faceshield and using a soft cloth to spread it evenly and dry it off works--definitely works on dive masks. I`ll tru the stuff from the dive shop and post the results---will have to wait till spring.

conchwanab
January 11th, 2009, 11:12 AM
I've asked about rain x at the dealer where I bought my bike and they said not to use it on the faceshield it could damage it.I picked up a bottle of Scotts anti fog cleaner but wo'nt get to use it until the spring riding season starts.I did purchase an extra faceshield with my helmet that is smoke tinted and anti fog and it works great even in temperatures at 25 degrees.

conchwanab
January 11th, 2009, 11:15 AM
By the way if you open your faceshield about a 1/4 inch it will help to get rid of the condensation pretty quick!!

NJD022588
January 13th, 2009, 12:48 PM
As far as your wipers, I find cleaning the edge when I wash the car really helps. That, and I clean the edge of the wiper with window cleaner (windex) and if the wiper edge feels hard and brittle, I wipe some rubber protectant on the blade to make it soft and supple again.

If you park your car outside, that is really harsh on the rubber blades and they need attention often.

I've tried just about everything with this car. I've read online and many other people have the same problems. It seems that the only thing that works is to replace the wiper blades once a month.

Yeah, my car is outside so that contributes to the problem.

Nick - I got a new visor at that dealership by my house, you know the one, and they said that you should not put rain-x on the visor... the bad part is that I missed out on the reasoning because the kid started whining about wanting to watch thomas... :(

Well, I wont be using it then... I know how he is with his trains... :D

if you're in the market for a new helmet check out the scorpion exo-700... great helmet and i've had absolutely no problems with fogging - and ive ridden in rain and snow...

I have the same helmet and my trouble just comes with cold weather. Otherwise, it works great.

Angel-be-Good
January 13th, 2009, 09:31 PM
Respro Foggy Mask (http://www.respro.com/products/racing/road-racing/foggy_mask/)

Zero fog, doesn't wear off, doesn't change the clarity of your visor.

beowuff
January 14th, 2009, 02:25 PM
I also use the foggy mask. It not only keeps my visor from fogging, but also my glasses! Nobody makes "inserts" for glasses, and I'd be hesitant to wipe any anti fog on something so expensive (face shields are much cheaper!)

Criomega
January 21st, 2009, 11:24 PM
Heres one alot of us bike people don't think about. Scuba/diver mask anti fog products.