View Full Version : Kawasaki OEM accessories are EXPENSIVE! Engine Guards $293.95! Solo seat cowl $139.95

CZroe
October 13th, 2012, 08:56 PM
I've been having trouble finding a place to order OEM EX300 parts, so I googled the part number (99994-0355) and found a website selling the "Engine Guard" (Frame Sliders) for $282.93. :eek:

What's more, they claim that the retail price is $293.95! I knew that Kawi would obviously want more than other frame slider kits, but this is simply WAY too much money.

Who here thinks that's even remotely worth it?!

I did the same for the solo seat cowl (99994-0354) and found it for $125.61 with a $139.95 MSRP. That's a 40% increase over the EX250J/K part's price!

At least the bubble windscreen can be had for $75.95.

lgk
October 13th, 2012, 09:15 PM
kind of curious why they cost so much more than shoguns.
is it going to be a real crash cage?

CZroe
October 13th, 2012, 10:05 PM
The hugger/chain guard is quite a bit more expensive than Honda's:
Can be had for $40.23, retail reportedly is $42.02.

kind of curious why they cost so much more than shoguns.
is it going to be a real crash cage?
Based on the name: I doubt it. It sounds like it is only meant to protect the engine cases and not the fairings.

CZroe
October 13th, 2012, 11:04 PM
FWIW, the website I'm pulling these prices from is http://www.gearhead.com.

The windscreen (99994-0356) seems to already be available on eBay already. WOW! Compare that to the elusive Kawasaki/MRA double-bubble for the EX250J that took ages to surface. :rolleyes:

CZroe
October 13th, 2012, 11:35 PM
Looks like gearhead.com was under-selling themselves on their discount over MSRP:
Kawi's website now shows an MSRP of $299.95 for the guards! The good news is that they now describe them as "Engine/Cowling Guards" and describe their function as also protecting bodywork:
Solid mounting brackets with high density ABS reduces the possibility of bodywork damage in case of a tip-over.

eddieA6987
October 14th, 2012, 06:42 AM
Where are you finding the part numbers? I went to gear head and they don't even list the ex300 under kawis 2013 bikes. ??

CZroe
October 14th, 2012, 08:09 AM
Where are you finding the part numbers? I went to gear head and they don't even list the ex300 under kawis 2013 bikes. ??
From Kawasaki's parts diagram. Kawi also has a couple accessories listed on the accessory pages in the "Owners" section of their site, which is where I fount the real MSRP of the engine guards.

JBinSD
October 15th, 2012, 02:04 PM
Dropped off my bike today @ Moto911, they're also Shogun. Paul, the owner, seems to be a really bright/mellow guy. He's using my 300 as a prototype and should get some good sliders out on the market in a month or so, as far as I can tell, no one else has a good kit out yet.

Pics will flow when I get my baby back. :thumbup:

Rekognize
October 15th, 2012, 04:28 PM
He's using my 300 as a prototype and should get some good sliders out on the market in a month or so

Awesome! :thumbup:

CZroe
October 15th, 2012, 08:03 PM
Dropped off my bike today @ Moto911, they're also Shogun. Paul, the owner, seems to be a really bright/mellow guy. He's using my 300 as a prototype and should get some good sliders out on the market in a month or so, as far as I can tell, no one else has a good kit out yet.

Pics will flow when I get my baby back. :thumbup:

What does he think of Kawi's design? Will his be similar?

JBinSD
October 16th, 2012, 05:32 PM
Actually, Paul @ Shogun thinks he may need to do some serious re-engineering. I took the bike to a smaller local shop that makes sliders, and he scratched his head and said "mebbe later", so I was ok to pass on that. Paul @ Shogun seems to be a more engineering-based guy, he'll get something working for sure. Hope it sooner rather than later, but I'm going to NY for a week, so the bike's being productive while I'm gone.

Still need suspension, controls, exhaust, ECU flash, etc. $$$. . . .

choneofakind
October 16th, 2012, 08:12 PM
ECU tuning. Fun, but time consuming. :p