View Full Version : Got Bugs?! Yeeech!

kkim
January 9th, 2009, 04:10 PM
My helmet after my ride to work this morning. Looks like it's breeding time for the little buggers... :lol:

yuck... what a cleanup mess. :angry7:

Anyone else have pictures of their bug infested helmets?

Alex
January 9th, 2009, 05:50 PM
Yuck! That's one of the only times where it would be nice to have a taller windscreen...

BlueTyke
January 9th, 2009, 06:11 PM
Not on hand... but Sacramento area gets pretty buggy too

Viper-Byte
January 9th, 2009, 06:12 PM
Ha ha ha, that is really bad, lucky your visor was down! :D

I was riding along one day, down the highway, nobody else on the road, then I hit a massive bug, I have no idea what it was, all I know is I had to ride with the visor up as it covered the whole centre part :eek: and all infront was blury. ha ha ha.

kazam58
January 9th, 2009, 06:28 PM
mm....juicy...
lol, that's impressive. We don't get that around here. i did snag a dragonfly once though, that caused me to jump a little.

Cling
January 9th, 2009, 06:32 PM
Wow, never had it that bad before.

OldGuy
January 9th, 2009, 07:44 PM
Now you know why you can always spot a happy HD rider:D I'd hate to think what it would be like w/o a visor in that cloud.

GreezMunky
January 9th, 2009, 07:45 PM
Good Lord, I've had some nasty visors coming back home before but nothing like that..

Nemy
January 9th, 2009, 11:27 PM
lol I live out in a suburb/rural area and I get it bad... but your pic is just nasty! The worst is when they get into the vents or little crevices... sneaky little bastards :rolleyes:

CRXTrek
January 9th, 2009, 11:58 PM
And get thru the vents to crawl on your head :eek:

Kurosaki
January 10th, 2009, 12:15 AM
Kelly...

That's gross.

kkim
January 10th, 2009, 12:22 AM
yeah it is pretty gross looking, but the worst part is, even after you clean up the helmet, it smells like dead bugs. :puke:

I'll have to wash and wax the exterior of the helmet this weekend.... can't stand that smell. :mmph:

NICUNinja
January 10th, 2009, 01:10 AM
That is disgusting, and you made it home okay seeing through that mess?

kkim
January 10th, 2009, 01:39 AM
It was on my way to work, and yeah, it was sort of hard to see through that mess. In the 30 something years I've taken this road to work, this is the first time ever I have seen this many bugs. It's been raining here a lot the last few weeks and the timing of all this must have been a mass party for the bugs to breed.
:partytime10: :partytime10: :partytime10: :partytime10: :partytime10: :partytime10: :partytime10: :partytime10:

conchwanab
January 10th, 2009, 04:39 AM
Wow we get a few bugs but nothing like that man!!That's just wrong

NJD022588
January 10th, 2009, 01:35 PM
Wow, how could you see?

I've had about a tenth of that on my helmet after a ride at dusk and my upper jacket and pants were covered also. How was your jacket and pants? And you must have killed a few with your neck too. :D

kkim
January 10th, 2009, 01:41 PM
Not too bad on the suit and other parts... the arm portion, yeah, but they brushed off... the worst was the helmet. Neck was covered with the collar of the suit.

it doesn't help that I was going at a good clip when I ran into them. :lol:

What type of bugs did you run into... these look like little flies?

NJD022588
January 10th, 2009, 02:39 PM
Mine didnt brush off so easily. I had to use a wet wash cloth to clean my jacket... they must be a little juicier. They're kinda like gnats, but I would say more brown in color and a little bigger.

Guinss
January 10th, 2009, 03:22 PM
you must have hit a big swarm or something :P wow that was alot of bugs

HKr1
January 10th, 2009, 04:48 PM
If you had a "GREEN" Helmet, it would not have been so bad :boink:

kkim
January 10th, 2009, 05:27 PM
If you had a "GREEN" Helmet, it would not have been so bad :boink:

thanks... but the bike is fast enough as is. Last thing I need is to make it even faster w/ a green helmet. :ride:

noche_caliente
January 10th, 2009, 07:41 PM
Kelly - that is all kinds of disgusting! ewwwwwwww!

The worst I've had, and Nick was with me and can verify, was when I had a yellow jacket somehow get on the inside of my visor - I've never been so cross-eyed in my life trying to figure out if the F#*$er was inside or out - I was finally able to focus enough to figure out he was in and raised it slowly - I guess he flew off then, as when we hit a safe place to stop, Nick didn't see any sign of him...

kkim
January 10th, 2009, 09:07 PM
I'd much rather have all those bugs on the outside of the helmet than a yellow jacket inside!!:eek: I would go ape **** if that happened to me!

It's a good thing you kept your cool and didn't end up crashing because of it. :thumbup:

aloh
January 10th, 2009, 10:45 PM
aagh bad experience with yellow jackets...

Rewind to when i was 12. I was riding on one of those tandem two person bikes with my cousin. When we got going, he was being really shifty with his weight and made me turn into a bush. When i pulled my leg out of the bush, it was COVERED with yellow jackets. Of course, we both ran like hell but unfortunately, i tripped and fell. I got 4 stings on my leg, and one on my stomach. I didnt make it too far before i lost feeling in my leg...

that was fun.

ninjabrewer
January 10th, 2009, 11:47 PM
I have noticed that the bugs are getting more prevalent over here on Oahu. But no where near that bad. Just imagine if you were a H-D rider, wearing googles and no helmet. They would be in your hair, between the teeth, etc.

Yeah yeah, just close your eyes and imagine that scenario. Just don't swallow.
:D

NB

OldGreg
January 11th, 2009, 12:02 PM
kkim... put a dryer/fabric sheet inside you helmet (when your not wearing it) for a week or so. I'd think that'd make it more pleasant while the dead bug smell dissipates.

Sailariel
January 12th, 2009, 02:32 PM
Greg, That works for sure. I do that with my bicycle helmets--never thought of that for my MC helmets. Dryer sheets also repel mosquitos. We hang several of them upwind and don`t seem to get a mosquito problem.

TrueFaith
January 13th, 2009, 08:20 AM
Guess they don't sell many open-faced helmets in Hawaii....:eek:

NJD022588
January 13th, 2009, 02:02 PM
Kelly - that is all kinds of disgusting! ewwwwwwww!

The worst I've had, and Nick was with me and can verify, was when I had a yellow jacket somehow get on the inside of my visor - I've never been so cross-eyed in my life trying to figure out if the F#*$er was inside or out - I was finally able to focus enough to figure out he was in and raised it slowly - I guess he flew off then, as when we hit a safe place to stop, Nick didn't see any sign of him...

Story would have been even better if I would have told you it was still on your head! :D

kkim
January 13th, 2009, 02:46 PM
Guess they don't sell many open-faced helmets in Hawaii....:eek:

No helmet law in Hawaii. I don't see how the HD riders run around with no helmet and only eye protection... some not even that!!! They must like the taste of bugs! :p

OldGuy
January 13th, 2009, 03:50 PM
No helmet law in Hawaii. I don't see how the HD riders run around with no helmet and only eye protection... some not even that!!! They must like the taste of bugs! :p

I thought that was how you could identify a Happy HD rider - by the bugs on his teeth:D

kkim
January 13th, 2009, 03:57 PM
dunno... with this many bugs, you could call it a HD happy meal. :puke:

devinjc
January 13th, 2009, 06:46 PM
No pics, but I've had a pretty similiar bug visor job after riding in the delta south of Sacramento. Don't get caught at dusk in the delta!

headshrink
January 14th, 2009, 07:51 PM
I was cleaning my visor with a plastic-safe cleaner EVERY time I would ride to take care of bugs and fingerprints (changing visors increased the fingerprints). I recently started putting Plexus on my visors and was amazed that I can go a week now without cleaning them. Granted there are fewer bugs when it is cold, but still.... I didn't switch until a week or two ago..... I think I like this stuff!

This summer I must have hit butterfly mating season on my way up to Trukee..... would have to duck to avoid CLOUDS of them! One butterfly commited suicide right at eye level..... had to stare at it's blood and guts the rest of the ride... it was actually quite gross and distracting.

Same trip found a motorcycle shop off the beaten trail to get a part for my friends bike.... it was a sureal experience because customers and employees came out to admire my bike (they don't do that in town).... they had never seen one in person, only magazines! And I thought it was difficult to get my 250r this summer in the city!!!!

Angel-be-Good
January 18th, 2009, 04:02 AM
I got a few today, though nothing like yours.