View Full Version : Road Rage, How do you deal?

GreezMunky
January 9th, 2009, 07:34 PM
Well, not necessarily road rage, could be more of trying to survive stupid people who shouldn't have licenses. I've been riding for a total of a little over 2 months now. I can think of only 3 real close calls I've had so far. 1 when I was dropping the bike off for the 600 service, chick merged over into my lane with me and just sat there staring at me as we’re merging onto the freeway. Only going 40ish so it wasn't TOO scary. And the last two have happened within the last week. 1 could have been really nasty because we were both doing around 80mph but I had already anticipated what he was doing to do so instead of side swiping me and shoving me off the side of road, he only cut me off. 2 my next door neighbor tried making a left hand turn in front of me at an intersection as we were both trying to turn onto the same street coming from opposite directions. Once again avoided being a hood ornament because I assumed what she was going to do and only crapped my pants as I slammed to a stop. Get the house, park in the driveway, take off my helmet and just stare at her as she rushes into her house. No sorry, no nothing.

The last two incidents I had to get off the road, turn off the bike, and just sit there and breathe. Calm down and resist the urge to go riding off after them and giving them the finger. Granted I have gotten a lot better now that I'm out of my Dodge 2500 and onto a bike that is barely half the size of an average car. It tends to "humble" you so to say..

But back to my question, How do you deal with road rage/the feeling after you almost get taken the F out by some stupid person not paying attention and/or caring? I need some suggestions before you hear about me and my little 250 going buck wild on some poor helpless college girl on her phone in daddy's SUV who just cut me off..

Alex
January 9th, 2009, 07:41 PM
The realization that you can't change the world, you can only change you. Like many motorcyclists, I'm guilty of occasionally reacting poorly when a driver does something colossally stupid that could have endangered my safety if I wasn't alert to it. But there's no sense of fairness or winning in such a confrontation, we are incredibly exposed on motorcycles, especially our chosen scoots here that don't have ludicrous power to allow us to leave any other vehicle in a flash. Best thing to do is what you did. Avoid, escape, and worry about it afterwards if you need to worry about it at all. What helps me is thinking about how that poor bastage is stuck trapped in that crappy car, and I'm enjoying a ride out here on my motorcycle. He's already lost. :thumbup:

GreezMunky
January 9th, 2009, 07:43 PM
The realization that you can't change the world, you can only change you. ... What helps me is thinking about how that poor bastage is stuck trapped in that crappy car, and I'm enjoying a ride out here on my motorcycle. He's already lost. :thumbup:

Interesting, I never looked at it like either of those two ways. I really like the first one though.

kkim
January 9th, 2009, 07:52 PM
wow... you make me glad to live in Hicksville.

I think you've done a large part already by anticipating what the driver is going to do. If I can, I try to watch thier eyes... that tells a lot of their next moves. Other skills are to recognize danger areas and where to pre place yourself to avoid being in the "hot" zone to begin with.

Reading some books might help as the scenarios we all go through each day have been a source of problems for many others riders other than ourselves. Armed with knowledge, one can prepare for the ride long before we even get on the bike. When I'm gearing up for a ride, I'm mentally preparing myself to be sure to be in the "radar" mode once I get on to the bike.

You are right, though... even if you are in the "right", a tangle with a car/truck against a bike will always result with you being the "loser". It's one of the inherent dangers of riding a motorcycle and something we as good riders need to compensate for to stay safe.

While you can't do anything about how the other driver drives, you are in total control of your side of the equation. Use that to your advantage to ride safe and aware to stay alive.

GreezMunky
January 9th, 2009, 08:03 PM
Reading some books might help as the scenarios we all go through each day have been a source of problems for many others riders other than ourselves. Armed with knowledge, one can prepare for the ride long before we even get on the bike.

What kinds of books are you talking about?

kkim
January 9th, 2009, 08:08 PM
Motorcycle safety type books... not racing/handling books.

I'm reading David Houghs "More Proficient Motorcycling" http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1889540536/bookstorenow57-20 and in it he gives various scenarios of incidents that have fallen other riders and how the crash could have been avoided. Good stuff to pack away in the back of the brain for recall when you need it.

GreezMunky
January 9th, 2009, 08:21 PM
Thanks!

Cochese
January 9th, 2009, 09:52 PM
Step one: Activate over head lights and signal inconsiderate asshole to pull over.
Step two: Issue inconsiderate asshole traffic summons and advise them of court date.
Step three: Smile with satisfaction.
Step four: Repeat!

kkim
January 9th, 2009, 09:58 PM
Step one: Activate over head lights and signal inconsiderate asshole to pull over.
Step two: Issue inconsiderate asshole traffic summons and advise them of court date.

damn... now where's my overhead lights??? :police2:

welcome back, bud... haven't seen you in awhile. :)

Kurosaki
January 10th, 2009, 12:12 AM
How do I deal?

I let them win. Proving yourself "right" or getting even or whatever on the road isn't worth it.

Especially when you're on two wheels and they're on 4.

FlamingYellowInsanity
January 10th, 2009, 04:15 PM
Basically make sure YOU stay alive is the best course of action, something else I like to do is memorize plate numbers and pretend that one day I'll report them, eventually I might. Maybe Cochese can help with that? :D

Travis

BlueTyke
January 10th, 2009, 06:26 PM
I try to anticipate. I am very observent on my motorcycle and in my car. I have had a few close 'pucker' moments due to other vehicles. It is during those times that I remind myself of two things...

One - I will most likely NEVER see that person again EVER. Ever.. So that leads me to #2
Two - Why be mad at someone who was in my life for those puckering moments?

Being mad at them only makes me feel worse (It's kind of hard to explain that one. Feel worse as in my mood.. not physically or even regretful of my actions, theirs yes, mine no. did that make sense? It did in my head). It hampers my time. Why fume about an idiot when I could be enjoying my ride... Yeah I rant about it and I believe people should pay more attention but to be human is to..well be human. To error is human... Or so I am told. :D

I am going to get a plate cover that says "Everyone is out to get me, does that include you?" But it won't fit...

GreezMunky
January 10th, 2009, 06:37 PM
I am going to get a plate cover that says "Everyone is out to get me, does that include you?" But it won't fit...

lol that is very clever..

BlueTyke
January 10th, 2009, 06:39 PM
Slight thread jack - Got another one "So slow I am first, so go around"

Cochese
January 10th, 2009, 07:28 PM
damn... now where's my overhead lights??? :police2:

welcome back, bud... haven't seen you in awhile. :)

Hey Kelly!

I had a serious call the other night at work and ended up in a shooting. The internest has been on the back burner lately.

I'm back now though. :thumbup:

g21-30
January 10th, 2009, 07:59 PM
Slight thread jack - Got another one "So slow I am first, so go around"

I saw this one during my MSF class, as a Harley (female rider) drove by: "If you're going to ride my ass, you can at least pull my hair!"

noche_caliente
January 10th, 2009, 08:03 PM
i just wave at them, with one finger of course, and go about my way

BlueTyke
January 10th, 2009, 08:06 PM
I saw this one during my MSF class, as a Harley (female rider) drove by: "If you're going to ride my ass, you can at least pull my hair!"

I love that one!! I saw that one on a woman that had Helmet Hair (you know the ones that stick to your helmet) but they were about foot long braids! It was soo funny!

Sailariel
January 10th, 2009, 08:28 PM

Cocihese, Love it! But that`s not fair--you can "Tin" the stupid sob and take great pleasure knowing they will need to change their underwear. Us every day ordinary cyclists need to ride super defensively. I have installed stick on blind spot mirrors, use my periforal vision a lot. I particularly watch front wheels on cages. At intersections, I avoid eye contact with cagers. Many construe eye contact as an indication of hostility. Under no circumstance will I ever give a cager half a peace sign. That will give them an excuse to act agressively toward you
I do about 3,000 miles a year on my bicycles--and the same applies. Almost forgot, never give chase (unless you have a badge} Also remember that ignorance can be cured through education--stupidity is another story. The great poet Schiller once said, "Against stupidity, even the gods are powerless." Cochese, Sorry about the shooting. I am glad you are OK--will probably take a little time to adjust after that. Sounds like you know what you are doing. Peace on earth through superior firepower.

conchwanab
January 11th, 2009, 08:07 AM
nice to see you have made it back to the forum safely Cochese!!I have had my share of close calls by stupid people on my bike usually on a weekly basis riding into work.Most of the time I try to ride like I'm invisible just keeping in the back of my mind most people in cages never see you!!Plus the fact that Ohio has conceal and carry and that could make for some interesting roadrage moments!!!