View Full Version : Bulb Types?

noche_caliente
January 11th, 2009, 01:36 PM
So, I am looking into replacing the bulbs in my turn signals and brake lights to LED while making another beacon for the mothership like Vex's and adding some HIDs in the front. The problem is, partly I'm lazy and don't want to dig through the mess in the garage to get to my manual(storing a friend's bike makes it a little tight sometimes.... *cough* Nick *cough*), and partly because I want other folks to have a nice one-stop resource to find all the types as well.

So without further ado, this is what I have found various places, as to what I think the bulb types for our 250s are....

Head lamps
12 volts, 55 watts, Type H7

Turn signals
BAU15s

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_DQskVeNT-_s/SW_9fwygUuI/AAAAAAAAAI8/9NR45ks_zx0/s400/100_4876.JPG

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_DQskVeNT-_s/SW_9gtIidoI/AAAAAAAAAJE/EXgdBBxbWHM/s400/100_4879.JPG

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_DQskVeNT-_s/SW_9hsap4iI/AAAAAAAAAJM/CDt9qwCpNb0/s400/100_4880.JPG

Brake light
Type 1157 (thanks dnaL0R), which is a two-filament bulb (first filament for running light, second filament when brakes are applied).

Can anyone confirm if this info is correct? Would these be white bulbs and the color comes from the housing?

Thanks for humoring me on a cold, dreary Sunday afternoon :)

kkim
January 11th, 2009, 04:20 PM
I can confirm the headlight and tailight bulbs are correct.

you might want add to your list the cluster bulbs.

noche_caliente
January 14th, 2009, 07:33 PM
so after investigating a little more, I've found more info on the signal bulbs. They are a type BAU15s. I found this post on a Vespa forum: http://www.modernvespa.com/forum/topic87.html
It's a very similar bulb, and the base type is the same with most of the indecipherable number on it the same.
So - if you are looking to keep the stock housings, but replace the bulbs with LED, then you need bulbs of the BAU15s type. It's a bayonet-style connector that has the terminals at 150* instead of the standard 180*.

Cochese
May 27th, 2009, 05:24 PM
I have a Custom Dynamics Red 1157 RL1157-32-R en route, $14.50 shipped.

I'll report on brightness of this LED tail from stock.

CZroe
October 22nd, 2009, 02:18 PM
Tagged... I'm wondering why the service manual doesn't mention "H7" anywhere? Huh.

adouglas
October 22nd, 2009, 02:22 PM

... approximately 5 months later....

Well? How'd it work for you?

I'm interested because during my summer tour my tail light burned out and I only found out because I got off the bike to take a picture near sunset. I want the longevity/reliability of LEDs.

bob706
October 22nd, 2009, 04:14 PM
I want the longevity/reliability of LEDs.

+1. 1157s just plain stink.

g21-30
October 24th, 2009, 05:26 AM

Price drop. $11.00 shipped.

g21-30
October 28th, 2009, 04:20 PM
I received the LED 1157 tail/brake light today. Took pictures of bike with the factory bulb installed with tail light and then brake light. I then replaced the bulb with the LED version and again repeated the same pictures. That's when I noticed one problem. I have the no-cut brake modulator installed. It works great with the factory bulb, but will only work ONE time with the LED bulb. You have to turn the ignition key off and back on, in order to get the LED bulb to modulate again....for one time!

I'm not going to post the pictures, as the factory bulb is brighter in both modes, i.e. tail and brake.

Yes, I reinstalled the factory 1157 bulb. :mad:

LazinCajun
October 28th, 2009, 05:22 PM
Bummer :(

One small thing -- you can't tell from a picture which light is brighter unless you have manually set all of your exposure controls. Not that it really matters in this case.

g21-30
October 29th, 2009, 03:33 AM
I haven't even uploaded the pics from my camera. I did the old IEBEYEBALL evaluation.

Sailariel
November 8th, 2009, 05:03 PM
I haven't even uploaded the pics from my camera. I did the old IEBEYEBALL evaluation.

Sam, Had the same problem with an aftermarket LED bulb. Reinstalled the original 1157.

mike_sema
December 19th, 2009, 11:02 AM
If you are looking for the gauge cluster lights the part# is kha37L and hey are a 12v 3.4 w wedge bulb :D

mike_sema
December 19th, 2009, 12:14 PM
I picked up some new bulbs B/C one of mine went out I found that you can use any 194 bulb B or A. i went with a blue light a few pick

mike_sema
December 19th, 2009, 12:15 PM
ooh and cost about 5 bucks for 4 lights

kkim
December 19th, 2009, 01:37 PM
I like that blue on the dash! :)

thanks for the info.

mike_sema
December 19th, 2009, 01:43 PM
thanks

Rayme
December 19th, 2009, 02:07 PM
Putting LEDS in stock housing will be a downgrade - as far as being visible go. They aren't as flashy in daytime as incadescent.

kkim
December 19th, 2009, 02:31 PM
Putting LEDS in stock housing will be a downgrade - as far as being visible go. They aren't as flashy in daytime as incadescent.

are you talking about the gauge cluster bulbs? if so, the 195s are incandescent.

Rayme
December 19th, 2009, 02:46 PM
are you talking about the gauge cluster bulbs? if so, the 195s are incandescent.

nope I mean the flashers/brake

Buffalony
May 18th, 2010, 12:27 AM
BBBUUUUMMMPPP

Turn signal bulbs!!!!!

WHY?

These bulbs seem to be ridiculously rare. Why....did Kawi go this route?

I am truely happy with the stock housing. However I want a local car store option for replacing a blown turn signal bulb. Not a special order hastle. It's easier to replace the tires on this bike than it is a turn signal!

Kawi gloated they went to 17" tires to make rubber options on this bike better, yet they went all vespa on us with the signal bulbs!!!

Anyone have a link to a DIY to modify the signal sockets? OR Have a link for clear or silverized turn signal replacements. Again..I like the stock housings but cant stand the fried egg effect. I'm not set on LEDs for this one either.

Thanks in advance.

kkim
May 18th, 2010, 12:40 AM
take the stock yellow bulbs out and spray them with a light coat of silver paint. the bulb will look silver when it's off and glow yellow once it's turned on.

gets rid of the egg yolk turn signals.

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_geC920GCq38/SO7LpxC1KyI/AAAAAAAABLQ/NOIIniZ2vf0/s640/IMG_0222.JPG

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_geC920GCq38/SO7Lt7iExeI/AAAAAAAABLY/CDd82VNeB_w/s640/IMG_0223.JPG

Buffalony
May 18th, 2010, 08:40 AM
Thanks for the reply kaykay and it looks good, but how much light is lost because of the paint?
I would also like to do a DRL mod in the future and dont want to worry about how well the paint would hold up with the bulbs always on. Paint does seem to be my only other option next to finding a clear or silverized 180deg bulb and filing off one of the pins.

kkim
May 18th, 2010, 10:46 AM
I haven't had any heat related problems with the silver paint. If you're concerned, use a high temp silver paint for engine parts.

The light output seems the same to me... there is no noticeable degraded output. Use a light coat of paint, just heavy enough so the yellow color disappears. It doesn't take much paint at all.

kevlar250
May 18th, 2010, 10:56 AM
It took me 5 min a socket to make it a 180 pin config. I used a Dremel w/ 1/8 carbide burr, no more worries. Stupid 150 bulbs!

kkim
May 18th, 2010, 10:57 AM
what bulbs are you using now?

nattygirl
May 18th, 2010, 05:08 PM
Thanks for the posting OP. This was exactly what I was looking for!!!
Got a question though, are the turn signals the same bulbs as PY21W?

kevlar250
May 18th, 2010, 10:50 PM
I have stock bulbs now but these are on order from superbrightleds.com:
(4) 67-A15 (1) CF12ANL-01 flasher.
I wanted to make sure the sockets could be modded before I ordered the bulbs. If these aren't bright enough I might have to make my own LED arrays on a standard bulb base.
Here's pics of the mod before & after:

Buffalony
May 18th, 2010, 11:06 PM
It took me 5 min a socket to make it a 180 pin config. I used a Dremel w/ 1/8 carbide burr, no more worries. Stupid 150 bulbs!

ya, what bulbs do ya use now??

Thanks for the posting OP. This was exactly what I was looking for!!!
Got a question though, are the turn signals the same bulbs as PY21W?

Na. The PY21W are 21W. Too hot I assume. The stockers are 10W.
Im guessing a 12v R10W BA15s which doesnt seem to be common either.
the vespa site mention that an 1156 bulb should drop in but..... I Dunno bout that one!

nattygirl
May 19th, 2010, 01:30 PM
Can anyone confirm what the stock license plate bulb is? Can you swap with a 194 led bulb?

Momaru
May 20th, 2010, 12:36 PM
It's an 1156 socket for the plate illuminator, or at least that's the standard bulb size/socket that fit when my OEM burned out. I'm 99.9% sure a 194 won't work in that socket without some kind of adaptor or modification to the bulb.
Replaced my OEM with a 67-x15 (http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/index.cgi?action=DispPage&Page2Disp=%2Fspecs%2F67.htm) from www.superbrightleds.com. It's not as bright as I'd have liked it to be, but it's brighter/whiter than stock and not too shabby for lighting from LEDs that are facing 90 degrees from the target (bulbs are directed ~level w/ ground, lens is below bulb).

shift_6
May 20th, 2010, 01:23 PM
I picked up some new bulbs B/C one of mine went out I found that you can use any 194 bulb B or A. i went with a blue light a few pick

mmm just like my VW... blue gauges and a red needle

nattygirl
May 21st, 2010, 04:10 PM
Thanks, I went with a 1156 led bulb for my license plate. Hopefully it will come soon.

Also, I'm not sure if this is correct or not, but I think you can use a 7507 BAU15S LED bulb in our turn signals. I bought some of those also and will test them out and let you guys know if they work/fit or not. Wish me luck... just waiting on shipping now. These were on back order, so it may take some time for me to get them.

kevlar250
May 22nd, 2010, 07:34 PM
The superbrightleds.com 67-A15 amber bulbs & CF12ANL-01 flasher came today. Bulbs went right in the modified turn-signal sockets and fit perfect length-wise. Light might be 5-8% less but the instant-on flash makes up for it by being more eye-catching. No more egg-yolk look. The flasher plugs in directly but has no mounting bracket.double-faced tape and a ty-wrap to the stock bracket takes care of that.

Buffalony
June 2nd, 2010, 10:16 AM
The superbrightleds.com 67-A15 amber bulbs & CF12ANL-01 flasher came today. Bulbs went right in the modified turn-signal sockets and fit perfect length-wise. Light might be 5-8% less but the instant-on flash makes up for it by being more eye-catching. No more egg-yolk look. The flasher plugs in directly but has no mounting bracket.double-faced tape and a ty-wrap to the stock bracket takes care of that.

Pics :D

kevlar250
June 2nd, 2010, 02:41 PM
OK I'll get the camera out

nattygirl
June 11th, 2010, 11:12 AM
Has anyone been able to change the turn signals to leds without having to mod anything? If so, where did you purchase your leds? I bought some, but they are way too long to fit in the housing. I got 7507 BAU15s LEDs for V-Leds.com

CZroe
July 19th, 2010, 01:58 PM
Anyone order more stock turn signal bulbs than they needed? It looks like Kawi sells them in a 4-pack.

CZroe
July 19th, 2010, 02:31 PM
OK, I must be doing something totally wrong, but I feel like the bulb is going to shatter and shred my thumb if I try any harder. HOW THE HECK DO YOU REMOVE THEM FROM THE REFLECTOR/SOCKET? I tried push and turn, I tried pull and turn, I tried just turn, nothing. The bulb wiggles a bit when I twist back and forth, so I know it's not stuck to the socket. Even so, when it comes time to twist it into position, the little pegs just stay put and will not twist to a point where they slide out. I feel a blister forming on my thumb from the friction as it slips while I apply tight compression+turning. Any tighter and I feel that I'd shatter the bulb/shred my thumb. What would someone do if the bulb were broken?! Somehow, I doubt the potato trick would help. :(

Momaru
July 19th, 2010, 06:50 PM
Press and turn counterclockwise is indeed how the sockets are designed; just checked on my stock housings.

I presume you've pulled the reflector/socket out of the black housing? Might try getting a screwdriver behind it (through the back of the socket) once you've turned it as far as it'll go to help push it out.

Suppose it's possible the bulb is getting jammed on extra plastic in the housing.

As a last resort, you could try just breaking the bulb (since it's hosed anyway) and using pliers to get the housing out.

Sorry to hear you're having issues, mine have always just fallen out once I've gotten 'em turned enough. Suppose there's some truth to the 'How many X does it take to change a lightbulb' jokes... :o

CZroe
July 19th, 2010, 08:13 PM
Press and turn counterclockwise is indeed how the sockets are designed; just checked on my stock housings.

I presume you've pulled the reflector/socket out of the black housing? Might try getting a screwdriver behind it (through the back of the socket) once you've turned it as far as it'll go to help push it out.

Suppose it's possible the bulb is getting jammed on extra plastic in the housing.

As a last resort, you could try just breaking the bulb (since it's hosed anyway) and using pliers to get the housing out.

Sorry to hear you're having issues, mine have always just fallen out once I've gotten 'em turned enough. Suppose there's some truth to the 'How many X does it take to change a lightbulb' jokes... :o

I did have it completely disconnected and I finally got it out: I just had to apply excessive pressure without regards for my safety but it did finally come out.

kkim
July 19th, 2010, 08:36 PM
I did have it completely disconnected and I finally got it out: I just had to apply excessive pressure without regards for my safety but it did finally come out.

did you try spraying some sort of lubricant in there to loosen things up? :p

CZroe
July 20th, 2010, 03:41 AM
did you try spraying some sort of lubricant in there to loosen things up? :p

I didn't want to contaminate the contacts or make the bulb itself any more slippery. I was almost ready to take a screwdriver to the back, though!

There was excess plastic in the socket but it seems to go in and out relatively easily now.

DaBlue1
March 18th, 2013, 04:20 PM
....Turn signals
BAU15s

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_DQskVeNT-_s/SW_9fwygUuI/AAAAAAAAAI8/9NR45ks_zx0/s400/100_4876.JPG

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_DQskVeNT-_s/SW_9gtIidoI/AAAAAAAAAJE/EXgdBBxbWHM/s400/100_4879.JPG

Although this is an old thread, questions about bulb info will come up again. There are already several other threads with similar info, but I am adding some, especially concerning the stock turn signal bulbs.

For those who look to replace their stock turn signal bulbs (and keep the stock housing) once the time comes, Kawasaki lists the stock turn signal bulb (for the 250R, 300, 400, 650) as 12v 10w, p/n 92069-0024, but does not list a U.S. bulb number (i.e 1157), that's because it is an European bulb.

RY10W or an Osram 5009 bulb base is a bayonet style BAU15s with 150 degree offset pins. (most U.S. bulbs are 180 degree offset pins) The stock bulb is short, approx 30 mm from the side pin to the top of the bulb.

The only U.S. bulb that cross references to this bayonet style base (RY10W) is the 7507 bulb. It is approx 45 mm (depending on the maker) from the side pin to the top of the bulb and may be to long for some turn signal housings. It is also 25 watts instead of 10 watts.

Most dealerships have the stock bulbs for under $4 each. Do a little searching for the best deal. The dealership close to me has them (RY10W) $1.00 cheaper than retail through their online store with no shipping charge to the shop. I just go and pick them up

Motivemods (http://www.motivemods.com/Philips-Premium-RY10W-p/phi-p-ry10w.htm) has them for $9.99 a pair.
CandlePower Inc. (http://store.candlepower.com/17pya10.html)has a 10 pack for $11.67
Team Charlotte Motorsports (http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.com/teamcharlottemotorsports/showmodel.asp?Type=13&make=kawasakimc&A=123&B=53)- $2.34 each

The RY10W also fits Ducati, KTM, Triumph, BMW, Moto Guzzi, Vespa, Aprilia, & Buell/Harley Davidson (all with different part numbers of course)

BMW -#63217169203
KTM -#6011427000
Aprilia -#AP8127489
Ducati -#390.4.021.1A
Buell -#Y0042.7AA[/I]

There are LEDs that work as replacements but they may not be as bright and they are expensive. Like the 7507 bulb, they may be too long for some housings.

License Plate Bulb- also see (http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=62465)

The stock bulb is a Stanley R5W bulb designed for 12 volts / 5 watts max, avg. life of the bulb is approx 500 hours

The more suitable replacement bulb is the Sylvania 67LL Mini Bulb. This bulb is designed for 13.5 volts / 8 watts max. Operating at 12.8 volts, wattage is 7.3 watts. Light output is 41 lumens and has an avg. life of approx 9,000 hrs.

The bulbs are the exact same size, but the 67LL (Long Life) bulb is better and a slight bit brighter and can be found at any auto parts store. The 67LL bulb is used on autos as a license plate bulb. This bulb will fit the 2001 -2007 Ninja 250 as well as the 2008-2011 Ninja 250.

Some have replaced the stock bulb with a 1156 bulb. This bulb will fit because the base is the same size, but may be a tight fit inside the housing. This bulb is much brighter (26.9 watts / 402 lumens) However this bulb may produce a little more heat, as it pulls 2.10 amps compared to the .57 amps of the 67LL, and has an avg. life of approx 1200 hours.

CZroe
April 16th, 2013, 07:24 AM
I stumbled across all this when trying to make use of the strange D2Moto sockets but never absorbed enough to pass on. Thanks!

Candlepower!