View Full Version : Ninja 300 Rearset

IPMAN
October 22nd, 2012, 01:53 PM
My wife already crashed hers .. and even dealers are like wtf .. there are no parts.

Anyone by chance have a 250 and a 300 and can compare of the rearset from a late model 250 fits a 300 ?

choneofakind
October 22nd, 2012, 01:58 PM
Peanut_EOD says that his 250R rearsets do in fact fit on the 300.

Alex
October 22nd, 2012, 02:01 PM
Yup, they are supposed to be interchangeable.

IPMAN
October 22nd, 2012, 02:37 PM
oh that's some good good news !

thanks !

CZroe
October 22nd, 2012, 03:17 PM
I'm glad she's OK and I hate to sound excited but: Finally, a crash report for the 300!

Very curious: How did everything else hold up?

IPMAN
October 22nd, 2012, 03:33 PM
I'm not all that happy with the crash hold up

First off the stock tires on the Ninja 250 are probably the worst tires in the history of motorcycles. I've had at least 4 people tell me they slid for no reason and crashed.

She was going in a straight line, there was a bit of morning dew and she gave some gas and the rear spun out from under her.

She was only going about 30-35 MPH

Broken Left Mirror
Broken Left Rearset
Left fairing ground through all the way in a couple of spots, plastic seems thinner and cheaper than ever.
Tail fairing broke a chunk out

Her 2008 Ninja 250 slid a few times and never had this much fairing damage or even a hole all the way through.

Oh well .. PLAY HARD and PAY HARD

We attend a motorcycle school frequently which is a closed course and controlled environment .. and should have changed those tires .. purely our fault for thinking we could take those tires out for a slow romp.

The plan was to "take it easy" and just go slow and enjoy the day without cars in Level 1.

It was early morning going slow and in a straight line and those tires slipped :(

She's hella sad for her new bike ... Insurance adjuster comes tomorrow morning.

alex.s
October 22nd, 2012, 03:38 PM
sorry to hear the bad news. what are the stock tires on the 300? still those dangerous IRCs? any photos?

CC Cowboy
October 22nd, 2012, 03:45 PM
I'm not all that happy with the crash hold up

First off the stock tires on the Ninja 250 are probably the worst tires in the history of motorcycles. I've had at least 4 people tell me they slid for no reason and crashed.

She was going in a straight line, there was a bit of morning dew and she gave some gas and the rear spun out from under her.

She was only going about 30-35 MPH

The worst crashes are the ones for no reason at all.

The torque on the 300 must be incredible!

IPMAN
October 22nd, 2012, 04:29 PM
Stock tires are the same as the 250s used to come with. Or at least look like them.

The 300 has some ooomph but I didnt think that would happen :eek:

We ran the scenario over and over .. checked the tires for oil or anything slick getting on them and nothing adds up.

I have to pull it out in the morning for the insurance adjuster so I will take pics in the sun-light and photbucket/link here.

We love the 300 by the way, we loved the 250 but this just gives us that little bit you always wish you had with the 250.

1. Faster response on the throttle, no delay
2. Power comes on sooner, not quite a "mid range" but like 6K-ish you start to feel the pull.

We are gonna fix it up and keep riding this baby and hopefully once there is a used market get a 2nd one dedicated to attending the Motorcycle School and riding on the closed course with no cars etc.

slowninja
November 29th, 2012, 04:51 PM
The stock tires of my 250 seem to be decent. I managed to lean quite a bit. The chicken strips on the rear are down to like half inch.

geeker
November 29th, 2012, 06:39 PM
Hope you're wife is alright. How many miles on the tires? I had the stock IRCs slide once getting on the freeway on my 250. I've never had them slide on my 300. I still plan to swap them for Rosso IIs at some point, but they stick fine for me.

slowninja
November 29th, 2012, 09:52 PM
I felt the rear tire slipping at WOT around 50mph in 2nd or 3rd gear today while catching up to traffic. It felt like locking up the rear and sliding it. The rear tire wobbled is the word I can think off. Is that it? I don't have much experience. I'm not being paranoid am I?

geeker
November 29th, 2012, 09:56 PM
I felt the rear tire slipping at WOT around 50mph in 2nd or 3rd gear today while catching up to traffic. It felt like locking up the rear and sliding it. The rear tire wobbled is the word I can think off. Is that it. I don't have much experience. I'm not being paranoid am I?

What was the condition of the road and ambient temperature?

slowninja
November 29th, 2012, 10:06 PM
What was the condition of the road and ambient temperature?

It was about 76 F today. It happened late afternoon.

geeker
November 29th, 2012, 10:09 PM
Was the road surface rough? If so, rough enough to skip across the road because the suspension couldn't keep up with the deformations on the road surface?

slowninja
November 29th, 2012, 10:11 PM
I always thought the 250 doesn't have enough ponies to kick the rear loose! But I felt something.

old3
November 30th, 2012, 09:03 AM
At 50 MPH and 76 f you will need to get hit by a truck to break the rear tire loose. HP didn't do it, stock tires or not. I was riding mine at 40f on salty roads and using everything its got and while the IRCs don't inspire confidence, they don't just break loose from accelleration or in a straight line. Something else is going on.

CZroe
November 30th, 2012, 11:58 AM
At 50 MPH and 76 f you will need to get hit by a truck to break the rear tire loose. HP didn't do it, stock tires or not. I was riding mine at 40f on salty roads and using everything its got and while the IRCs don't inspire confidence, they don't just break loose from accelleration or in a straight line. Something else is going on.

Oil, water, gravel, dirt, dust.

old3
November 30th, 2012, 12:04 PM
Yeah, add in ice too. You will need to hit a veritable shat load of sand to spin the tire up at 50 MPH, like a sand road! Regular oil spots won't do it, a diesel spill will but we aren't talking about "normal" circumstances here now.

There was probably a series of pavement imperfections that caused a stuttering of the rear suspension. It "packs" up cause it can't flow enough oil and you get a jackhammering effect.

I've been stretching my throttle cable and can't get the rear loose unless it is wet in a corner on a paint stripe! :cool:

slowninja
November 30th, 2012, 12:27 PM
Sounds like you're ready for a 600! All jokes aside, I checked the rear tire, it seems OK and all bolts are tight. The bike only has 2000 miles and maybe a drop from a previous owner.

thisisbenji
November 30th, 2012, 12:47 PM
Bummer on the crash, but since every crash is different I think it's hard to compare durability between two separate bikes unless you can 100% replicate the crashes between the two.