View Full Version : jacket question for those who sweat easily/heavily in 60 degree weather

Confuzshuz
October 23rd, 2012, 09:42 PM
I bought a tourmaster flex 3 textile jacket thinking it would cover 3 seasons of riding: http://www.tourmaster.com/product/Textile_Jackets/Flex_Series_3_Jacket/358/3

It's been great for summer (90+ degree weather) when using just the mesh portion (no inside/outside liners). I still sweat, but I expect it in hot weather.

Lately, I've added the outter layer since the weather has been around 60 degrees. However, I still find myself sweating rather easily in this jacket and it's too cold to wear the mesh only.

I'd like some recommendations on cooler weather jackets. I need something with massive ventilation in all the right places while making the temperature managable.

Thanks in advance.

nycsteve
October 24th, 2012, 06:08 AM
We are a lot alike, and I just happen to be looking for a cool weather jacket with vents as well.

I'm looking at this now: First Gear Kenya 2010 Jacket (http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/closeouts/textile_jackets_and_pants/first_gear/2010_kenya_textile_motorcycle_jacket.html)

Good luck and update us on this.

csmith12
October 24th, 2012, 09:26 AM
You wearing a moisture wicking shirt under the jacket? You might be able to find the right combo of layers under the mesh that could help.

Confuzshuz
October 24th, 2012, 10:49 AM
We are a lot alike, and I just happen to be looking for a cool weather jacket with vents as well.

I'm looking at this now: First Gear Kenya 2010 Jacket (http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/closeouts/textile_jackets_and_pants/first_gear/2010_kenya_textile_motorcycle_jacket.html)

Good luck and update us on this.

I was eyeing that too! however, I don't think it's enough ventilation for me. I'm also considering the vanson odyssey or night falcon textiles, but they are pricey.

You wearing a moisture wicking shirt under the jacket? You might be able to find the right combo of layers under the mesh that could help.

I don't wear moisture wicking layers, just street clothing or a sleeveless cotton shirt. Many of my rides are about 10 miles away and I'm sweating like crazy already. The humidity in california kills me.

csmith12
October 24th, 2012, 11:06 AM
The idea with moisture wicking shirt is to get the sweat away from your skin. It should be a bit warmer if the wind isn't cooling off the moisture that is in direct contact with your shin. A $14 shirt is cheaper than a $100 jacket. See what I mean?

EDIT: I am not being clear enough.... Your too hot if you wear the mesh with liner. Your too cold if you wear the mesh only. What I am saying is to wear the mesh only with light under layers to allow air flow through the light layers and keep the sweat away from your skin to keep you somewhat warm. Hope that is clear enough.

Confuzshuz
October 24th, 2012, 11:15 AM
The idea with moisture wicking shirt is to get the sweat away from your skin. It should be a bit warmer if the wind isn't cooling off the moisture that is in direct contact with your shin. A $14 shirt is cheaper than a $100 jacket. See what I mean?

EDIT: I am not being clear enough.... Your too hot if you wear the mesh with liner. Your too cold if you wear the mesh only. What I am saying is to wear the mesh only with light under layers to allow air flow through the light layers and keep the sweat away from your skin to keep you somewhat warm. Hope that is clear enough.

Oh, that's not a bad idea. I'll give that a shot and see what happens.

thanks

Monkeytofu
October 24th, 2012, 11:17 AM
Why not just wear a hoodie under it? I have couple hoodies that I wear (not at the same time of course) under my warm weather jacket whenever I go out night riding and it's not cold enough to wear my cold weather jacket.

I'm sure you have multiple hoodies of varying thickness and material, so you'd just pick whichever one was appropriate.

Whenever you're riding you should assume your ride is going to be 10-20 degrees colder, so just dress as you would in that weather if you weren't riding.

Confuzshuz
October 24th, 2012, 11:23 AM
Why not just wear a hoodie under it? I have couple hoodies that I wear (not at the same time of course) under my warm weather jacket whenever I go out night riding and it's not cold enough to wear my cold weather jacket.

I'm sure you have multiple hoodies of varying thickness and material, so you'd just pick whichever one was appropriate.

Whenever you're riding you should assume your ride is going to be 10-20 degrees colder, so just dress as you would in that weather if you weren't riding.

Actually, that's not a bad idea either. Believe it or not, it hasn't crossed my mind, to wear a jacket underneath the protective gear. Sometimes I wonder if these helmets restrict blood flow to my brain...

rawbert625
October 24th, 2012, 11:30 AM
what layer did you add? the thermal liner or the breathable waterproof one?

Confuzshuz
October 24th, 2012, 11:37 AM
what layer did you add? the thermal liner or the breathable waterproof one?

breathable waterproof outter layer. Do you think the thermal would be more suitable? I figured it would be too warm. I should probably try it.