View Full Version : Used suit vs budget pants.

October 24th, 2012, 12:25 PM
So I'm debating between buying a used agv suit from a friend for 150 that has slight scuffing on the left arm and left leg(also missing knee pucks)
Or just pick up a pair of leather pants

Cycle gear has their leather sidici leather monza pants on sale for 129.

Here's my woes, I commute a lot and am tired of wearing jeans and would feel better in leather pants.
But,
The suit is a good deal but I'm afraid come spring if I keep losing weight it won't be tight enough. I'd get maybe a month out of the suit with weekend rides,(I guess I could commute in the suit as well.

I know sidici is cycle gears house brand but the pants fealt quite thick and I'd feel safe going down in them.
Thoughts?

cuong-nutz
October 24th, 2012, 01:58 PM
I'd go for the suit. Might be overkill but hey you could always wear it to the track and not have to worry about finding a matching leather jacket that'll zip up to the pants. Plus the suit is easier to resell than pants are. Cycle Gear will continue to have their sales on rotation so it's not like you can't get the leather pants now, plus they'll probably be cheaper later on when they're on sale again.

csmith12
October 24th, 2012, 02:22 PM
Tough call, what jacket do you have? Could you buy matching pants that would zip to your current jacket to be able to make a 2 piece leather suit? If so, I might just go for the pants. Otherwise the suit sounds like a great deal. Wear it, then resale next spring when everyone is looking for one.

October 25th, 2012, 11:19 AM
Not attatchable to current jacket.
So it's either the agv suit for 150 used,
Or a brand new frank Thomas I've found for 75.

Thoughts on frank Thomas? I've done some research and everyone seems to have good things to say about leather quality double and triple stitched, armor placement.

lgk
October 25th, 2012, 11:31 AM
would get the suit and some new pucks, as long as it fits well.

CC Cowboy
October 25th, 2012, 12:15 PM
Get the suit. You can always seel it for 150 if you get too small for it. You don't need pucks for street riding.

October 25th, 2012, 02:19 PM
Olson the agv suit apparently is no longer for sale, crazy how you show interest in something then people want to keep it.
Anyway so this frank that's suit I'm going to see tomorrow is brand new with tags for $75. If it fits right should I jump on it? I'd mainly be using it for weekend rides and such at that price I could also get the leather pants for commuting.
Thoughts?

cuong-nutz
October 25th, 2012, 03:11 PM
I can only comment on the older model suit. I had trouble getting in and out of them since the armor would shift around when you put it on and take it off. Once it's on, it doesn't shift around which is a good thing. It's just such a hassle to readjust them as they're not sewn into the suit but velcroed into pockets of the liner.

$75 for a full new suit is a steal.