View Full Version : K&N Pod Filter

Peanut_EOD
October 25th, 2012, 09:49 PM
I ordered a K&N pod filter R-0990, the same one used on the Ninja 250, on a hunch. I had a feeling that it would fit on the 300 and I knew most people wouldn't just order one for testing.
Today I decided try the new filter since I needed to change the oil and I would already be in the garage. I removed all of the bodywork except for the headlight shroud. Then I removed the undertail. As i started removing the airbox I noticed a sensor on top that isn't there on the 250 airbox. I took the sensor off the box and it looks like an intake temperature sensor. I test fitted the pod filter and suspicion confirmed. It fits perfectly. I used a drill bit slightly smaller than the probe on the sensor and drilled a hole in the upper left of the filter cap. then I used a very small drillbit to make hole for the screw to keep the sensor in place.
I still need to get a small filter for the crank case ventilation and some more oil before I even start it.

It was snowing today so I have no idea if there are any issues with it, but now you know so you can pick up where I left off if you are in a more tempered climate than Denver.
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y245/synernut/photobucket-15137-1351224524704.jpg
Cell phone pic.

choneofakind
October 25th, 2012, 09:52 PM
Nice work peanut.

Jiggles
October 25th, 2012, 09:53 PM
Congratulations on your new, very lean running 300!

Any plans to reflash the ECU?

choneofakind
October 25th, 2012, 09:56 PM
Oh Jiggles...

Jiggles
October 25th, 2012, 09:57 PM
Yes Chodette?

choneofakind
October 25th, 2012, 09:59 PM
He lives in colorado and mentioned that there was snow. The bike won't be ridden. He also appears to be making it ready for track riding/fun riding. I'm guessing one of those steps will be a way of changing the fuel map.

Of all people to lecture about changing their fueling, you chose a track guy who already knows about it? dude.

Peanut_EOD
October 25th, 2012, 10:02 PM
He lives in colorado and mentioned that there was snow. The bike won't be ridden. He also appears to be making it ready for track riding/fun riding. I'm guessing one of those steps will be a way of changing the fuel map.

Of all people to lecture about changing their fueling, you chose a track guy who already knows about it? dude.

:whathesaid:

Jiggles
October 25th, 2012, 10:05 PM

I asked a question, why are you being such a dick, I mean chode :Twofinger:

Peanut_EOD
October 25th, 2012, 10:25 PM
To answer your question, yes. I will eventually put a power commander and custom tune along with a full exhaust on it.

Jiggles
October 25th, 2012, 10:33 PM
Cool beans

Area P right? :D

Peanut_EOD
October 25th, 2012, 10:44 PM
Nope. I'm sponsored by Leo Vince.

Jiggles
October 25th, 2012, 10:45 PM
Ah well, free is better :thumbup:

00NissanNinja
October 25th, 2012, 10:51 PM
Looks good, nice work:thumbup:

I am sad the snow has come a little early this year. Might be a snowy winter this year, which sucks.

Peanut_EOD
October 25th, 2012, 10:55 PM
That's why I'll be racing in California in a couple weeks.

00NissanNinja
October 25th, 2012, 10:58 PM
oh rub it in:) lol. Good luck racing out there!

JBinSD
October 29th, 2012, 06:51 PM
Hey Peanut, did you talk w/ Jay @ CVMA re racing the 300 in ULWS? He told me they were planning on amending rulebook to allow 300s, but it hadn't been done yet

Just checking, I'll probably be bring my mostly stock 300 for Fri, and mebbe ULWS, but I haven't even put 50 miles on mine yet, kinda a hard break-in to go right to racing.

Peanut_EOD
October 29th, 2012, 08:47 PM
Hey Peanut, did you talk w/ Jay @ CVMA re racing the 300 in ULWS? He told me they were planning on amending rulebook to allow 300s, but it hadn't been done yet

Just checking, I'll probably be bring my mostly stock 300 for Fri, and mebbe ULWS, but I haven't even put 50 miles on mine yet, kinda a hard break-in to go right to racing.
No, my 300 won't be making this trip. I'm bringing my 250 and a couple of the other guys 250's from MRA. I raced 250's with CVMA last year and was horrible. Hopefully I've improved. I can't wait to race with the CVMA 250 guys again. I also am excited to see a large 250 grid at Chuckwalla. Last year it was just me, Steve, Jonny and Cheeks.

beazy411
November 15th, 2012, 06:58 PM
K&N's site now shows that the same filter from the 250 works on the 300. Link is below. Has anyone figured out if the stock ECU can compensate for the difference in airflow?

http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=KA-2508

Jiggles
November 15th, 2012, 07:43 PM
K&N's site now shows that the same filter from the 250 works on the 300. Link is below. Has anyone figured out if the stock ECU can compensate for the difference in airflow?

http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=KA-2508

I highly doubt it can, the k&n is a massive increase in airflow

choneofakind
November 15th, 2012, 07:57 PM
Sean, beazy linked to the K&N that goes in the airbox, not the R-0990 that deletes the airbox. I know nothing about how those perform.

Jiggles
November 15th, 2012, 08:11 PM
**** k&n needs new names! That will flow more air but I can't imagine it would be that significant. Still, I wouldn't stray from stock without retuning the ECU. I mean seriously, what is the point?

beazy411
November 15th, 2012, 08:23 PM
**** k&n needs new names! That will flow more air but I can't imagine it would be that significant. Still, I wouldn't stray from stock without retuning the ECU. I mean seriously, what is the point?

Sorry about the confusion on that. I'd imagine that since its already been confirmed that the pod style fits that they'll add the 300 onto the list of supported bikes soon. You are right though, since the stock ecu can't compensate for the change in airflow it's almost pointless to switch out the filters. Don't most factory tunes run a little lean to begin with? I know it was on my truck when I got it tuned this past summer.
Posted via Mobile Device

choneofakind
November 15th, 2012, 08:29 PM
I would assume it's flirting with lean in the midrange for mileage and it's fine up top.

*assumption based on how Kawi tuned their carbs, and Kerry from AP saying that there was lot's of space for improvement, similar to the carbs*

Jiggles
November 15th, 2012, 08:35 PM
^ good assumption