View Full Version : Can Ninja 300 ABS system from EX300B be ordered/installed on non-ABS EX300A? EX250J?

CZroe
October 26th, 2012, 11:26 AM
I see a lot of people waiting for ABS and I wondered if they could "buy now, upgrade later" without having to upgrade the entire bike. That also got me wondering "how much?" and "will it fit the 250?". So, how much is this likely to cost and can it be made to fit the 250? :D

alex.s
October 26th, 2012, 11:34 AM
minimum would need the front encoder wheel, pickup, electronics package, and the brake release solenoid. that alone is probably going to cost you around $1000 to order oem parts and who knows if the abs electronics is integrated with the ignition system... and who knows if the ignition system is compatible.

i think you should buy the parts and find out

Alex
October 26th, 2012, 12:09 PM
It's a different caliper, potentially a different master cylinder, in addition to what alex.s listed above. With enough money and time anything is possible, but it would be much less money and time to just sell the non-abs bike and buy the abs version.

Dark
April 19th, 2013, 04:21 AM
Not worth it and you don't need it.

tfkrocks
April 19th, 2013, 06:59 AM
Buying new, the ABS version is $500 more than the non-ABS SE. If its about $1000 to add on ABS to a non-ABS bike like alex.s says, definitely better to just get the ABS bike itself.

CZroe
April 19th, 2013, 09:40 AM
Buying new, the ABS version is $500 more than the non-ABS SE. If its about $1000 to add on ABS to a non-ABS bike like alex.s says, definitely better to just get the ABS bike itself.
I was curious to know if it could be adapted to the 250J (I prefer the 250J's styling). It could be sourced from a crashed 300B for all I care. :)

I assume people aren't still waiting for ABS like they were back when I created this thread, but some people may have been willing to pay that price difference to have had it "now" rather than waiting. Also, it's only available in green SE bikes, though it would probably make more sense to buy/install/paint fairings on an ABS bike than install ABS on a non-ABS bike (again, ignoring the possibility of cheap crashed parts). :thumbup:

vanman69
April 19th, 2013, 05:29 PM
I was curious to know if it could be adapted to the 250J (I prefer the 250J's styling). It could be sourced from a crashed 300B for all I care. :)

I assume people aren't still waiting for ABS like they were back when I created this thread, but some people may have been willing to pay that price difference to have had it "now" rather than waiting. Also, it's only available in green SE bikes, though it would probably make more sense to buy/install/paint fairings on an ABS bike than install ABS on a non-ABS bike (again, ignoring the possibility of cheap crashed parts). :thumbup:

it could be adapted quite easily, i think the biggest problem would be the wiring.

DaBlue1
April 20th, 2013, 06:49 AM
I had looked at adapting the CBR250R ABS (http://world.honda.com/motorcycle-technology/brake/p6.html) to the Ninja 250 in 2011.
Their (Kawasaki (http://www.motosport.com/NZ/motorcycle/oem-parts/KAWASAKI/2013/NINJA-300-%28ABS%29/BRAKE-PIPING) & Honda) systems are similar. Other than all the parts the problem was going to be how to mount and integrate it to the Ninja 250.

I thought at one time, if it was possible to do, the Thailand modders would have done it. I'm still waiting.

CZroe
April 20th, 2013, 01:06 PM
I had looked at adapting the CBR250R ABS (http://world.honda.com/motorcycle-technology/brake/p6.html) to the Ninja 250 in 2011.
Their (Kawasaki (http://www.motosport.com/NZ/motorcycle/oem-parts/KAWASAKI/2013/NINJA-300-%28ABS%29/BRAKE-PIPING) & Honda) systems are similar. Other than all the parts the problem was going to be how to mount and integrate it to the Ninja 250.

I thought at one time, if it was possible to do, the Thailand modders would have done it. I'm still waiting.
Well, this thread was made before we could have any expectations about Indonesian ABS conversions too. :)

As for how it would mount, well, the entire forks can swap. The only difference I see is the fender mounting points on the lower fork halves. Because bent fork tubes are so common, you can expect the lower halves to be extremely cheap. On the 250J, forks that go for $300 a pair when straight are usually $30 each when bent, so the lower halves are only a portion of even that. That's assuming that they are even needed, considering that the caliper on the non-ABS is the same (painted black), the ABS hardware may bolt right up to existing forks.