View Full Version : New Member...New Rider

murc585
January 12th, 2009, 10:50 PM
hello all fellow riders,

just joined the forum and not long ago joined the world of riding. I've been wanting to get a bike for a very long time and haven't had the funds for it until recently. I'm only 22 and to get insurance here in Canada you need to start thinking about which organ you are willing to go without. I read a lot on the redesign of the 250R about a year ago and decided this would be the perfect bike, might as well start off slow and build some skills before hopping on the 600s.

Anyways, I ordered a green 250R in April and my dealer called me the day Kawasaki had their ?2009 model meeting?, which happened to be on my birthday, the 19th of September telling me they were raising the prices for 2009 and that there would no longer be green. He also let me know Kawi had sent him a Red 2008 250R and that I was next on the list, it was a good day. I was also told they would sell it to me for $3999 CND, instead of the $4549 CDN they are selling the '09s for (he had originally guaranteed me that the colours were to stay the same along with the price).

I picked up the bike a week later and I've been in love with my new toy ever since. I tried to get as much as I could out of it before the winter came and got a good 2000 kms of riding out of it before the snow came. Its a joy to ride and I'm desperately waiting for heat to come back and melt all the snow away.

As a new rider, this experience is very new to me, I decided to do my own "first service" to get a little hands on with the bike with some advice from kkim. She was still running like a charm last time I rode her so I guess it went well. I haven't had much time to personalize my bike the way I want to but I just finished my fender chop and it already looks much better. Sorry for blabbering, its the childish excitement of a new rider. I'll update you all once I get her back on the road and have more to say.

Happy riding

Here she is,

http://www.overclock.net/gallery/data/500/medium/ninja.jpg

KJohnson21
January 12th, 2009, 10:55 PM
:welcome:

kkim
January 12th, 2009, 10:55 PM
Aloha and welcome, Mat! :D

Glad to see the excitement hasn't worn off and wish that it never does for you. Bike looks great and I know how long you have been waiting patiently for it.

Hope you enjoy the forum... you'll find a lot of friendly, helpful people in here.

mahalo for joining
:)

Alex
January 12th, 2009, 11:02 PM
:welcome: Mat! (get it?)

(yeah, I'd probably be ready to haul off on the next chowderhead who said that to me by the time I reached my teenage years!) :D

Glad to have you aboard...

zartan
January 12th, 2009, 11:17 PM
welcome!:hellokitty:

TnNinjaGirl
January 13th, 2009, 06:09 AM
Very nice bike!! Enjoy the giddy-ness, growing up sucks!!!

Sound Wave
January 13th, 2009, 08:36 AM
hey mat. welcome. i think you are doing the smart thing by starting off on the 250. these are great bikes.

Strider
January 13th, 2009, 04:58 PM
Welcome from Gastonia North Carolina !

BlueTyke
January 14th, 2009, 11:29 AM
Welcome!

Sailariel
January 14th, 2009, 03:19 PM
Welcome to our family. You picked a GREAT bike. There isn`t a 250 on the planet that can top it. Ride safe, read a lot, and stay in touch with the forum. Hope your insurance goes down. I do remember paying a lot of insurance when I was 22. Now, at 67, I pay very little. I think I would rather be 22.

NICUNinja
January 14th, 2009, 03:45 PM
Welcome Mat. :thewave:
Congrats on the new bike.

noche_caliente
January 15th, 2009, 06:51 PM
Great to have you here!

ManyCavies
January 16th, 2009, 03:09 PM
Welcome! :D

xTKx
January 16th, 2009, 03:36 PM
Hey Mat, welcome to the board! The red color's growing on me, so I may wind up w/ a beauty just like yours here in a couple months (hopefully). :pray:

kkim
January 16th, 2009, 04:21 PM
Tony,

If you really want to assure you get a bike, you might consider hitting up a bunch of dealers in your area or possibly out of state. You'll be surprised what pops up in the least expected places. Plus, don't forget Craigslist if you don't mind a used one. You might even find a green 08. :D

murc585
January 16th, 2009, 07:55 PM
I have to say, the red colour didn't grow on me until I saw it. I had always planned to go for the green, but with the demand for these bike you make sacrifices, but in person the red really looks good.

It looks great, but I still secretly wish it were green... If I were you, I'd try looking for a used green '08, I saw one back in the summer, and nothing beats kawi's signature green on these bikes.