View Full Version : Fairing Alignment

geeker
November 1st, 2012, 08:00 PM
I did the first oil change on my 300 tonight and discovered, like others, the oil filter was installed by King Kong. I had to take off the bottom right fairing to get at the filter with pliers. When I reinstalled it, it isn't aligned at the front anymore. I've tried taking it off and reinstalling it, but it's still gapped a bit. Any ideas? It wasn't that way when it came off.

Peanut_EOD
November 2nd, 2012, 05:20 AM
Make sure all of the tabs on the two bottom halves are lined up correctly and loosen all of the screws on the right side. Push up on the lower piece as you tighten the screws starting with the front then work back.

geeker
November 2nd, 2012, 06:40 AM
Make sure all of the tabs on the two bottom halves are lined up correctly and loosen all of the screws on the right side. Push up on the lower piece as you tighten the screws starting with the front then work back.

Tried that already. Just removed it again and tried to tighten from the front. The gap is still there. :confused:

Peanut_EOD
November 2nd, 2012, 08:26 AM
Ride it to Colorado and I'll take a look at it for you.

kMvNeverLandMan
November 2nd, 2012, 11:52 AM
There is another location on the bottom going towards the back wheel that has to align as well. Make sure both locations line up and you should be able to put them back together without there being a gap.

geeker
November 2nd, 2012, 05:06 PM
Ride it to Colorado and I'll take a look at it for you.

It's on the bucket list. ;)

I tried again this morning. Everything seems to be aligned and in place. Maybe I need to take all the fairings off and start from scratch?

CZroe
November 7th, 2012, 03:39 PM
My lowers on the J-bike didn't align and stayed that way for months until I popped out the three plastic rivets and held them in place while setting the rivets. Popping one at a time did nothing. It looks like this gap is between the lower and mid fairings but perhaps you could try something similar?

geeker
November 19th, 2012, 02:05 PM
I just took a look at two new 300s on the showroom floor and they both have the same gap on the bottom fairing. I still haven't had a chance to remove all the fairings and try again.