View Full Version : Assembly fee? Here's what you're paying for

Rekognize
November 4th, 2012, 06:09 PM
This document also includes torque and slack values:

http://www.kawasaki.com.au/dealers/16682699/99931-1533-01-EX300AD-BD-English-A-P.pdf

Alex
November 4th, 2012, 06:17 PM
Attached (in case link disappears)

Rekognize
November 4th, 2012, 06:32 PM
Move to tech?

alex.s
November 26th, 2012, 04:25 PM
maybe this should be stickied

Mulholland
January 17th, 2013, 09:24 PM
K1bAHzuf7kI

Assembly fees are pure profit for the dealer IMO. Unless I am mistaken, "dealer prep fee's" are directly rolle dinto MSRP. Any dealer who tells you he can't sell you the bike at MSRP without losing money is a liar and part of the reason people just buy used bikes and new bikes sales suffer in the US compared to elsewhere... an entry level bike should not be a high profit item lol.

How do you think the Costco pricing works? How do you think other dealers sell the bikes at MSRP just fine? I have a local Kawi/Suzuki dealer who seems to think they are the only dealer in the area (I live in DFW, TX area...) and any time I stop by there to see new bikes (it's geographicly most convenient to me) I just laugh in their faces at the prices I get... I was looking at getting a ninja 250r new from them last year, and it was a new 2010 that had not sold, and was told I wouldn't walk out of their showroom with that bike for less than $5400, I almost crapped my pants. The other 5 or so dealers within ~25 miles would all sell me the same think for a grand less lol. Hell, kawasaki in Irving was selling brand new 300r's as soon as they hit the floor for MSRP+TT&L only.

They can sell you a bike for whatever they think they can get you to pay and the best way to get them down is to get a better price from another dealer, and by the time oyu go from dealer #1 or 5, and get back to #1 witht he best price against theres... you see where I'm going haha

Fast Steve
March 4th, 2013, 08:56 PM
Thanks for this excellent info! :thumbup:

ahamay
March 4th, 2013, 09:46 PM
The first dealer I went to to look at the 300 quoted me $8300 OTD!! I almost chocked to death laughing as I walked out. Saw the sales guys a week later and he was still trying to tell me what a great deal he was pedaling.
Personally I think it should be outlawed for dealers to do this just because when a new rider walks in the door it's cheaper to get a used 600/1000 in most cases. Then you have someone who has way more bike than they need or can use out trying to learn on public roads.

Yakaru
March 4th, 2013, 10:06 PM
Assembly fees are pure profit for the dealer IMO. Unless I am mistaken, "dealer prep fee's" are directly rolle dinto MSRP. Any dealer who tells you he can't sell you the bike at MSRP without losing money is a liar and part of the reason people just buy used bikes and new bikes sales suffer in the US compared to elsewhere.

This is what I call "people who don't understand economics". They are losing money (and think anyone who sells at MSRP will lose money] because they are only selling 2 bikes a month and those two have to cover the lease, employee salaries, bills, etc. So they better make a lot of money on those two, if they lower the price they'll just go out of business -- not sell 10 bikes.
Hint to any dealers: Bikes are probably very elastic (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Price_elasticity_of_demand).

MistahT
March 5th, 2013, 06:02 AM
The first dealer I went to to look at the 300 quoted me $8300 OTD!! I almost chocked to death laughing as I walked out.

I paid less than that for my 2012 FZ6R I bought brand new in 2012, and I know people in rural areas who have paid even less. At that point an FZ6R or Ninja 650 isn't a bad choice for a beginner bike!

I agree with the other comments, too! This is why people start on 600cc and 1000cc supersports, cause they are actually affordable. There are more than 20 600cc SS in my area right now asking under 3 grand on craigslist and there is an R1 for 2 grand this one guy can't seem to sell. To make things worse, everyone with a Ninja 250 is asking a thousand over KBB. My buddy really wants a 250 but is "settling" for an SV 650. He can't find a clean pregen for less than about $2,400. This price mess starts at the dealer.

LNasty
March 8th, 2013, 03:47 PM
yeah i got screwed when I got my 2012, but i didnt have time to argue or go somewhere else. had to get the bike asap since i had no vehicle when i moved to texas. had been using a rental car that was costing me $800 a month. after taxes fees and I got the extended warranty I paid just over 7k for the bike, oh well at least i got one