View Full Version : Some N00b questions :p

himynameisjoe
November 10th, 2012, 06:07 PM
Hey guys, Joe here I've got a few newbie questions I would like answered.

Okay so first of anyone know what the Est. OTD price I'm looking at for a 300 in Pa? And what's with this costco discount I'm seeing so much about, is it a real thing? And worth spending 55 dollars for year to get a good discount?

Second, when I was looking at buying the Suzuki Tu250 a friend of mine who is very knowledgeable about bikes (has owned over 40 in like 10 years, and his father raced english bikes back in the day) was telling me that in his experience sportbike tires aren't as good for riding in wet weather as say just a standard bikes tire would be. I talked to a dealer about it, and he said that wasn't true and they were actually better.

Third, do you guys believe in the hard engine break in, or the dealer/ manufacture recommended soft break in? After doing a lot of reading on it, it seems that the "soft break in" is almost a scam told to you by the manufacture so your vehicle has more problems.

Fourth, riding in cold weather. I know obviously that cold tires don't grip, so should I be worried riding in colder weather? Especially because I'm a new rider, I highly doubt I'm going to be riding very hard for a while. Are my tires going to be hot enough if I do go around a nice turn at a decent speed?

I think that's all of my questions for now... haha If I think of anymore I'll post em' Thanks in advance guys!

249cc
November 10th, 2012, 06:50 PM
Can't say much about the Costco deal in PA, as it basically died here in California (demand is too high at the moment), but I would get a Costco membership regardless. $5 for a rotisserie chicken is ridiculous. :D

himynameisjoe
November 10th, 2012, 06:53 PM
Can't say much about the Costco deal in PA, as it basically died here in California (demand is too high at the moment), but I would get a Costco membership regardless. $5 for a rotisserie chicken is ridiculous. :D

Wait, seriously? They have rotisserie chicken for 5 bucks? How have I not known about this? I feel like half of my life has been lived in the shadow of a lie... *puts signing up for costco on to-do list*

249cc
November 10th, 2012, 06:59 PM
Wait, seriously? They have rotisserie chicken for 5 bucks? How have I not known about this? I feel like half of my life has been lived in the shadow of a lie... *puts signing up for costco on to-do list*

I'm DEAD serious. When I used to do heavy weight lifting, I would eat at LEAST one of those suckers a DAY. So cheap and sooo filling. And so good for you.

Plus, if you like pumpkin pie, they sell it for around $9.00 and it looks like it swallowed two regular-sized pies. Check the store out first! "Costco-sized" will slowly work itself into your vocabulary. :D

If you end up getting the 300 through a Costco deal, they'll throw in a $250 Costco gift card for answering questions in a survey or something. That's like, A TON OF CHICKENS.

himynameisjoe
November 10th, 2012, 07:04 PM
I'm DEAD serious. When I used to do heavy weight lifting, I would eat at LEAST one of those suckers a DAY. So cheap and sooo filling. And so good for you.

Plus, if you like pumpkin pie, they sell it for around $9.00 and it looks like it swallowed two regular-sized pies. Check the store out first! "Costco-sized" will slowly work itself into your vocabulary. :D

If you end up getting the 300 through a Costco deal, they'll throw in a $250 Costco gift card for answering questions in a survey or something. That's like, A TON OF CHICKENS.

Plus I could split the gift card 50/50 and get 13 pies and 25 chickens! (Yes... I actually did just take the time to calculate that... don't judge me...) Though I think since I want the 300, they should give me a $300 dollar card :p

himynameisjoe
November 10th, 2012, 08:47 PM
Updated with one more question!

bbonds007
November 10th, 2012, 09:16 PM
Hello fellow Pa rider!

#1: Does Pa even have any Cosco's? Someone told me that was a southern thing. I think the closest thing we have is a Sams Club....

#2: Tires on a bike can be anything you want them to be. Just because a ninja is a "sports bike" does not mean you need hardcore racing tires on them. I use Kenda general purpose tires, many on here use Sport Demons. What I am getting at is there are a ton of choices and basically a Ninja 250 can use whatever tire a TU250 would use and vice-versa. BTW I rode on a TU250 when doing my MSF course, a Ninja blows it out of the water, in my humble opinion.

#3: No clue :o

#4 I have been riding in the cold weather the last few weeks and have been fine, even in the rain. Sure cold tires will mean less grip, but its not like it is impossible to turn or anything. Honestly, unless you are racing or really hitting the "twisties" at well over the speed limit, you will hardly notice any loss in grip.

himynameisjoe
November 10th, 2012, 09:23 PM
Hello fellow Pa rider!

#1: Does Pa even have any Cosco's? Someone told me that was a southern thing. I think the closest thing we have is a Sams Club....

#2: Tires on a bike can be anything you want them to be. Just because a ninja is a "sports bike" does not mean you need hardcore racing tires on them. I use Kenda general purpose tires, many on here use Sport Demons. What I am getting at is there are a ton of choices and basically a Ninja 250 can use whatever tire a TU250 would use and vice-versa.

#3: No clue :o

#4 I have been riding in the cold weather the last few weeks and have been fine, even in the rain. Sure cold tires will mean less grip, but its not like it is impossible to turn or anything. Honestly, unless you are racing or really hitting the "twisties" at well over the speed limit, you will hardly notice any loss in grip.

There actually seem to be a few PA'ers here. I was glad, because when I joined the TU forum there were like none. At all. haha

Yes we definitely do have costco's here. There is one maybe 20 minutes away from me. lol. Someone lied to you! But at least now I don't feel like I'm the only one missing out on these apparently awesome chicken and pies! :lol:

I guess that is a valid point on the tire thing... hmmm well then :o

Hey at least you're honest :D

So basically I have nothing to worry about? That's good to know! I was a little worried about that honestly. And like I said, being brand new to riding I don't think I'm going to be entering corners at extremely high rates of speed!

Motofool
November 11th, 2012, 09:47 AM
.....Third, do you guys believe in the hard engine break in, or the dealer/ manufacture recommended soft break in? After doing a lot of reading on it, it seems that the "soft break in" is almost a scam told to you by the manufacture so your vehicle has more problems.

I don't know your concept of hard or soft, but see no reason for not following the manufacturer's recommendations.

If others' recommendations are better, why aren't them building better motorcycles? :)

himynameisjoe
November 11th, 2012, 10:27 AM
I don't know your concept of hard or soft, but see no reason for not following the manufacturer's recommendations.

If others' recommendations are better, why aren't them building better motorcycles? :)

That was originally my thought, but after reading up a lot about this it really has me wondering.

This is probably the best site I found explaining the "hard" break in process and it's benefits. It makes a lot of sense honestly.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Motofool
November 11th, 2012, 10:57 AM
It is just an opinion, and I find it brutal.

I don't buy the shown pictures: no carbon deposits anywhere above the rings.

Motofool disagrees with Motoman. :)

More precise machining only reduces the time required for proper break-in, IMHO.

himynameisjoe
November 11th, 2012, 10:59 AM
It is just an opinion, and I find it brutal.

I don't buy the shown pictures: no carbon deposits anywhere above the rings.

Motofool disagrees with Motoman. :)

More precise machining only reduces the time required for proper break-in, IMHO.

O yeah I kind of forgot about those pictures haha I immediately called BS on those. I mean I do think the method makes sense, but come on... there is no way... there can't be?

old3
November 19th, 2012, 08:11 PM
On the break in topic, guess what alot of bikes get when they are strapped on a dyno at the end of the production line? Full throttle thru all the gears with just enough fuel to run. Then they get boxed up and shipped to you & me. I use the full spectrum of the tach while keeping the engine from too heavy a load, like WOT uphill with a passenger in too high a gear. I also try to vary RPMs most of the time, drop speed, pick it up, rev it out smoothly, let it compression brake down thru the RPMs too.

At 600-1000 muiles I change the oil & filter and before that all bets and the kid gloves were off anyway.

The first few hundred miles are critical to good ring seal. Putting around at under 4k will not give the rings much outward pressure to do that. Then again, that first dyno run at the factory is probably all they really need! :eek:

himynameisjoe
November 19th, 2012, 08:38 PM
On the break in topic, guess what alot of bikes get when they are strapped on a dyno at the end of the production line? Full throttle thru all the gears with just enough fuel to run. Then they get boxed up and shipped to you & me. I use the full spectrum of the tach while keeping the engine from too heavy a load, like WOT uphill with a passenger in too high a gear. I also try to vary RPMs most of the time, drop speed, pick it up, rev it out smoothly, let it compression brake down thru the RPMs too.

At 600-1000 muiles I change the oil & filter and before that all bets and the kid gloves were off anyway.

The first few hundred miles are critical to good ring seal. Putting around at under 4k will not give the rings much outward pressure to do that. Then again, that first dyno run at the factory is probably all they really need! :eek:

Didn't know that! If that is the case, that makes me a lot happier! lol

old3
November 19th, 2012, 08:45 PM
Thats the same advice I've gleaned from a few engine builders for my Mx bikes and watch the dyno runs on the hot rod shows. A few quick spins up & down the RPMs with break in oil, then full synthetic and full throttle with minutes on the engines. Each run the HP/tq goes up as the rings seal tighter.

:thumbup:

old3
November 19th, 2012, 08:49 PM
Royal Enfield assembly line dyno test.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIQZRf4eUW4

MV

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usELFp0zc6Q

And Kawi!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQesaXhL0cA

Jiggles
November 19th, 2012, 10:16 PM
Hey guys, Joe here I've got a few newbie questions I would like answered.

Okay so first of anyone know what the Est. OTD price I'm looking at for a 300 in Pa? And what's with this costco discount I'm seeing so much about, is it a real thing? And worth spending 55 dollars for year to get a good discount?

Second, when I was looking at buying the Suzuki Tu250 a friend of mine who is very knowledgeable about bikes (has owned over 40 in like 10 years, and his father raced english bikes back in the day) was telling me that in his experience sportbike tires aren't as good for riding in wet weather as say just a standard bikes tire would be. I talked to a dealer about it, and he said that wasn't true and they were actually better.

Third, do you guys believe in the hard engine break in, or the dealer/ manufacture recommended soft break in? After doing a lot of reading on it, it seems that the "soft break in" is almost a scam told to you by the manufacture so your vehicle has more problems.

Fourth, riding in cold weather. I know obviously that cold tires don't grip, so should I be worried riding in colder weather? Especially because I'm a new rider, I highly doubt I'm going to be riding very hard for a while. Are my tires going to be hot enough if I do go around a nice turn at a decent speed?

I think that's all of my questions for now... haha If I think of anymore I'll post em' Thanks in advance guys!

Firstily: 6k

Secondarily: Sportbike tires will have better wet performance if you buy one rated for it. They will also have a shorter life

Thirly: Engine break in on these little bikes is a load of bull. Ride it hard or soft how ever you want just don't cruise at 1 rpm for too long, vary it up, engine break, full throttle redline it once or twice and your good.

Fory: You're not going to notice a difference of cold tires as a new rider. Becareful on the wet and on leaves, the rest of the time you're golden