View Full Version : My New Camera Mount! testing it out! cruising...

slowninja
November 12th, 2012, 03:29 PM
Here's a video of me cruising with my new camera mount on my 2009 Ninja 250R. I only have 1 month of experience. If you see me doing something wrong, point it out. I'd appreciate it :D :thumbup:

YVV1rSD8hF4

ChaoSS
November 13th, 2012, 03:58 AM
Didn't watch the whole thing, but I love how you are riding a little over 30 in a 25, seconds after your "respect the laws" opening screen..

EsrTek
November 13th, 2012, 06:00 AM
camera seems a bit low... I'd suggest a 1" piece of foam under it to help that and absorb some shock and keep it more steady.

csmith12
November 13th, 2012, 06:21 AM
Didn't watch the whole thing, but I love how you are riding a little over 30 in a 25, seconds after your "respect the laws" opening screen..

Speedo error keeps him legal within a mph or 2. No worries here.

I can see a few things that I remember from when I started. When you brake for a stop are you putting weight on your wrists? I ask because I see the triple shake back and forth at every stop. If so, grip the tank with the legs and keep your arms loose. If you start a good habit now, you will not have to relearn it later.

When you stop behind a car, don't stop dead center of the lane. Pick a side of your lane that provides you with an escape route and when possible, choose the driver's side so he can see you in at least 2 mirrors.

Give the lil ninja time to stretch it's legs between shifts. In other words your short shifting and not letting the bike rev up a bit. Don't be afraid to let it rev up, the bike loves em and higher revs don't always equal more speed.

All in all, your doing great. :thumbup: Keep at it and have fun, the first year of riding is the best, so many new experiences to enjoy! :)

slowninja
November 13th, 2012, 09:12 AM

I can see a few things that I remember from when I started. When you brake for a stop are you putting weight on your wrists? I ask because I see the triple shake back and forth at every stop. If so, grip the tank with the legs and keep your arms loose. If you start a good habit now, you will not have to relearn it later.

When you stop behind a car, don't stop dead center of the lane. Pick a side of your lane that provides you with an escape route and when possible, choose the driver's side so he can see you in at least 2 mirrors.

Give the lil ninja time to stretch it's legs between shifts. In other words your short shifting and not letting the bike rev up a bit. Don't be afraid to let it rev up, the bike loves em and higher revs don't always equal more speed.

All in all, your doing great. :thumbup: Keep at it and have fun, the first year of riding is the best, so many new experiences to enjoy! :)

WOW :thumbup: Sharp eyes! You're spot on. My left wrist hurts a bit. I thought it was the bad angle of me holding it. I'll change this bad habit. Thanks alot for the tips. Much appreciated :D:thumbup:

ChaoSS
November 13th, 2012, 03:03 PM

Depends on his speedo, but I don't actually care, not picking on him for speeding, just amused me.

tcbmellowd
November 16th, 2012, 04:58 AM
Welcome to the club Duey :)! What camera mount are you using?

Some tips and concerns: I'm sure you're aware of most of these things, but we often forget the simple things and their implications.

1) Stay in the Ninja's Powerband
I noticed you were going 35 in 6th gear @ 4k rpm. In an emergency situation,as a newbie(assuming you only have 1 month motorcycle exp.), you need to have sufficient power at your fingertips. In addition, you don't want precious time wasted fumbling with the gears that could be better spent focused on your surroundings. I normally cruise at 6-8k rpm and upshift between 7-9k, depending on how aggressive/passive I'm feeling.

Here's a rough guide i use: If I am cruising at the following speeds, I will usually be a gear or two above. Ex. 35mph, 3/4th gear 6-8k rpm.

1st gear 9k rpm = 25mph; 2/3rd gear will keep you 6-8k
2nd gear 9k rpm = 35mph; 3/4th gear will keep you 6-8k
3rd gear 9k rpm = 45mph; 4/5th gear will keep you 6-8k

If I am cruising at the following speeds, I will usually be a gear or two above. Ex. 35mph, 3/4th gear 6-8k rpm.

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Accelerating,_changing_gears

2) Smooth Shifting and Smooth Clutch.
When you upshift, it sometimes sounded like you were releasing the clutch too quickly, resulting in a choppy sound. You can also "preload the shift lever" when upshifting. Before you upshift,put pressure up on shift lever, then clutch in and ease off gas, the pressure applied by your foot will slip nicely into gear, then clutch smoothly out and gas on. Try to keep in mind smoother is faster.. and sexier. Also, blipping the throttle when downshifting helps keep things smoooooooth.

3) Never Stop learning How To Improve!
Read all you can and practice when you can. Some great books I'd reccommend are 'Proficient Motorcycling' by David Hough, 'Total Control' by Lee Parks, and 'Twist of the Wrist II' by whatshisface- total brain fart xD (Keith Code)

4) Parking Lot Practice is Awesome
Notably practicing Slow,Look,Press,Roll with sharp turns at speed to gain confidence and smooth flow.

5) Light on your hands, firm on your foundation
As csmith said. Heavy hands and numb arms = not smooth. Heavy arms result in vibration transfer and have a negative input on smooth steering and stability. Use your legs and core to provide the stability so your arms and head are free to make the subtle inputs required for smooth steering.

6) Smooth is sexy...
Go with the flow and don't fight the bike Lol currently ran out of things to say. Just want to wish you the best. Prayers for a safe a smooth ride and life :)

Looking back on the nonsense I've written, I've realized the dangers of browsing ninjette while sitting on the toilet at 3am PST.

*if there's anything horribly flawed with my advice please don't hesitate to correct me.

csmith12
November 16th, 2012, 06:16 AM
Looking back on the nonsense I've written, I've realized the dangers of browsing ninjette while sitting on the toilet at 3am PST.

http://forum.ngfcommunity.com/smilies/dragonstouch_slap.gif hahahahahaha

slowninja
November 18th, 2012, 11:16 AM
Welcome to the club Duey :)! What camera mount are you using?

Some tips and concerns: I'm sure you're aware of most of these things, but we often forget the simple things and their implications.

1) Stay in the Ninja's Powerband
I noticed you were going 35 in 6th gear @ 4k rpm. In an emergency situation,as a newbie(assuming you only have 1 month motorcycle exp.), you need to have sufficient power at your fingertips. In addition, you don't want precious time wasted fumbling with the gears that could be better spent focused on your surroundings. I normally cruise at 6-8k rpm and upshift between 7-9k, depending on how aggressive/passive I'm feeling.

Here's a rough guide i use: If I am cruising at the following speeds, I will usually be a gear or two above. Ex. 35mph, 3/4th gear 6-8k rpm.

1st gear 9k rpm = 25mph; 2/3rd gear will keep you 6-8k
2nd gear 9k rpm = 35mph; 3/4th gear will keep you 6-8k
3rd gear 9k rpm = 45mph; 4/5th gear will keep you 6-8k

If I am cruising at the following speeds, I will usually be a gear or two above. Ex. 35mph, 3/4th gear 6-8k rpm.

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Accelerating,_changing_gears

2) Smooth Shifting and Smooth Clutch.
When you upshift, it sometimes sounded like you were releasing the clutch too quickly, resulting in a choppy sound. You can also "preload the shift lever" when upshifting. Before you upshift,put pressure up on shift lever, then clutch in and ease off gas, the pressure applied by your foot will slip nicely into gear, then clutch smoothly out and gas on. Try to keep in mind smoother is faster.. and sexier. Also, blipping the throttle when downshifting helps keep things smoooooooth.

3) Never Stop learning How To Improve!
Read all you can and practice when you can. Some great books I'd reccommend are 'Proficient Motorcycling' by David Hough, 'Total Control' by Lee Parks, and 'Twist of the Wrist II' by whatshisface- total brain fart xD (Keith Code)

4) Parking Lot Practice is Awesome
Notably practicing Slow,Look,Press,Roll with sharp turns at speed to gain confidence and smooth flow.

5) Light on your hands, firm on your foundation
As csmith said. Heavy hands and numb arms = not smooth. Heavy arms result in vibration transfer and have a negative input on smooth steering and stability. Use your legs and core to provide the stability so your arms and head are free to make the subtle inputs required for smooth steering.

6) Smooth is sexy...
Go with the flow and don't fight the bike Lol currently ran out of things to say. Just want to wish you the best. Prayers for a safe a smooth ride and life :)

*if there's anything horribly flawed with my advice please don't hesitate to correct me.

Cool thanks a lot for the tips and info!!! Much appreciated!:thumbup::D