View Full Version : What do you tell people?

BlueTyke
January 15th, 2009, 03:41 PM
Now I haven't had anyone fight with me about it or anything but I am curious..

There have been a few times in my life that people have asked me why I did/do something. I always reply nicely depending on what they are asking.

"Sunny! Why in blue blazes did you move to MD?" "Phil's Father."
"Sunny! Why in blue blazes are you scuba diving?" "It's fun?"

Yeah my words are more eloquent than that but you get the gist.

So when someone goes "Sunny! Why in blue blazes do you ride a motorocycle?" My answer? "Because it's freedom." If they don't get it then I say "Tyke is my Black Pearl.." And then they go ooooh...

If I were to ask you "Why in blue blazes you ride?" what would you say?

TnNinjaGirl
January 15th, 2009, 03:49 PM
Because taking the time to learn how to ride a bike is like making a new friend. It has it's own personality. It's own secrets and it's own areas of expertise. Also, because I want to, but that usually doesn't satisfy most people.

Alex
January 15th, 2009, 04:17 PM
Depends if I think they are really asking because they want to know, or if they are asking in a way that what they really mean is "how could you be so careless to ride a motorcycle". If it's the latter, I'm more inclined to change the subject or say something humorous. If it's the former, here's what I try...

I ask them if they like skiing. More often than not, they do. I let them know that I used to as well. But then realized I could have that same type of fun all day long without ever having to stop for that silly chairlift. And it's not 18 degrees out and snowing. :) It's not much of a hyperbole for me either; the same parts of my brain that scream out "I'm liking this!" when I'm on a challenging slope are the exact same parts that enjoy riding a bike quickly either on a twisty road or on the track. And I haven't been skiing in years. :thumbup:

Nemy
January 15th, 2009, 04:23 PM
I ask them if they like skiing. More often than not, they do. I let them know that I used to as well. But then realized I could have that same type of fun all day long without ever having to stop for that silly chairlift. And it's not 18 degrees out and snowing. :) It's not much of a hyperbole for me either; the same parts of my brain that scream out "I'm liking this!" when I'm on a challenging slope are the exact same parts that enjoy riding a bike quickly either on a twisty road or on the track. And I haven't been skiing in years. :thumbup:

:thumbup: Couldn't have said it any better - the perfect way to describe my passion for two wheels.

g21-30
January 15th, 2009, 05:17 PM
"Sunny! Why in blue blazes did you move to MD?" "Phil's Father."
"Sunny! Why in blue blazes are you scuba diving?" "It's fun?"
"Sunny! Why in blue blazes do you ride a motorocycle?"

It looks like you really like BLUE.
I usually answer "Why not? or Because!"

Sailariel
January 15th, 2009, 05:42 PM
I used to enjoy skiing until I had to have a hip replacement (not from old age, but a gunshot) I like sailing, bicycle riding, SCUBA diving, sky diving, and motorcycle riding. When people ask why I like all that Type A stuff, my answer is that it represents freedom and that it keeps me young.

BlueTyke
January 15th, 2009, 06:28 PM
I have never been skiing in my life... Actually never really been to the snow. This includes living in Baltimore all of last winter. We had a light smattering of snow but not enough to play in... This year is supposed to be more white but we will see.

I get the story though..

It looks like you really like BLUE.
I usually answer "Why not? or Because!"

Yah think?? But I have never heard it called Black Blazes... :p

aloh
January 15th, 2009, 06:32 PM
I decided to ride because its something very unique and fun. When i was a kid riding a bicycle was an absolute blast! Attatch a motor to it and it makes for even more fun.

Im sure kkim would call it green blazes

travis5018
January 15th, 2009, 06:33 PM
My reply is "Because there is no damn parking spots for cars at FSU!!!"

BlueTyke
January 15th, 2009, 06:35 PM
Hehe. Sorry parking is not a laughing matter but to be the only reason to ride?

And yes Aloh (Alex), Kelly I am sure would say that. :)

kazam58
January 15th, 2009, 06:40 PM
I always wanted to have a motorcycle since I was a little kid (though I suppose I still am a little kid to many of you) so I had the chance to get one and I did. Now I'm absolutely hooked, it's just so much fun! That's usually plenty reason for me, and if they don't think it is then too bad for them :p
If I feel they're asking, as Alex put it, "why are you so careless" then I give them a sarcastic answer. A question put that way doesn't warrant an intelligent response. It seems I get this form of the question a lot as a teenager :rolleyes: oh well.

Sailariel
January 15th, 2009, 06:56 PM
Kazam, There is nothing careless involved in riding a motorcycle. It requires considerably more skill and intelligence than driving a cage. Motorcycles are far more manoeverable than a car, and will certainly stop in a shorter distance. In most of the world a motorcycle is considered intelligent transportation. My sister lives in Europe. At $9.00 a gallon for gas--a motorcycle makes sense to her. She has been riding 30 years.

kazam58
January 15th, 2009, 08:23 PM
Alex, I absolutely understand and appreciate your logic, thank you. I was being careful when I went with a 250 as my first bike. I take pains to make sure I am never careless. It's more that everywhere I go I have someone telling me to be careful or watch out. Either that or people seem to presume that because I'm young and I ride a sportbike I am being inherently reckless and will end up in the obituary page the next day. Sometimes I simply think that people assume too much.

noche_caliente
January 15th, 2009, 08:28 PM
"It's my Dad's fault! :D "

kazam58
January 15th, 2009, 08:34 PM
lol, i'm sure you use that excuse in a very whiny voice, like it was forced upon you :p

noche_caliente
January 15th, 2009, 08:40 PM
not at all - he started me riding when I was 6 - over 20 years later, it's only natural!

kazam58
January 15th, 2009, 08:48 PM
You're quite lucky. Although my dad always wanted a motorcycle, I had to get myself into it.

Sailariel
January 15th, 2009, 08:52 PM
Kazam, You bought the best 250 available today. If you look at the various MC magazines, you will see one rave review after another. I have been riding 50+ years and never crashed. It is not because I rode like some old lady. It was because, like you, I started on a 250 and worked my way up. Of course technology being what it is, changed that equation. The 250 Ninja performs better than the Triumph 650 of the 70`s. My 250 is all the bike I want and need. In Europe a 250 is a big bike. Your Ninja is a technological marvel. Trust me, unless you tell someone that you are riding a 250, they would never guess. I regularly ride with friends who have BMW 1100`s, a friend with a 990 Ducati (who has ordered an 09 Ninja 250),and people with 750 Suzukis and larger Hondas. We cruise along, and I have no problem keeping up. I may shift more often, but, so what--I still have fun and get great gas milage. One final note. I don`t think there is a more comfortable sport bike made. I think you have your act together and don`t have to justify anything to anyone.

kazam58
January 15th, 2009, 09:01 PM
Thank you for the kind words, Alex :)
I did my research on the Ninjette before I bought it, and every time I read another review, I wanted one so much more. It has plenty of power for me and I must say that even the first time I sat on it, I was amazed by it's stability, especially at low speeds. It's a confidence inspiring bike and I absolutely love it. One day, in the far future, I may step up to bigger bike, but I certainly wouldn't do so without keeping a 250 around and taking a few good riding courses, including a few track days, to make sure I know how to use all the excess power.
And I know what you mean when you talk about 250cc being big in Europe. I often travel to the Czech Republic to visit family and you see little 125's all over the place and then even smaller scooters. Last time I was there was almost a year and a half ago and the gas prices were outrageous. We took a road trip to Croatia. It was not cheap. Anyway, sometimes I wish Aprilia imported their 125 street machines, those must be screamers!

Sailariel
January 15th, 2009, 09:09 PM
Andy, I know what you mean. I was born in Slovenia. My sister lives in Austria and rides a 250 Honda.

grandmaster
January 15th, 2009, 10:16 PM
Well I know one day I will die, so I enjoy my life while I am here. I enjoy riding my motorcycle and I am careful, but at the same time enjoy it while its there. I figure if I die I will at least be doing something I love. But don't get the wrong idea, I am not one of those people that fly around on city streets, I am careful and aware.

I actually live by a quote that James Dean once said (have a tattoo of it) "DREAM as if you'll live forever, LIVE as if you'll die tomorrow." I look at it everyday to help me as a person. It basically means don't let anything get in your way no matter how long you have left on earth. Live life to the fullest and do everything in your power, its should be you that makes yourself happy, not the events that happen that should effect your mood. So when people ask me I say that quote, and when they say "what?" I show them. I am actually going to put the sticker on my bike at the very bottom of my fairing as well, It is already on my Jeep.

Kurosaki
January 15th, 2009, 11:30 PM
I hate it when people who don't ride make sure to tell you their opinion about how dangerous bikes are everytime they see you.

Or always want to tell you a story about someone who got hurt riding. Or would say "I told you so", if you fall.

SAVE IT! :mad:

Viper-Byte
January 15th, 2009, 11:52 PM
Kuro, I know exactly what you mean, my Mum told me about an accident that a couple of bikers had (they were going like idiots though) in the near by twisties. I said to her, now would you tell me that if they were cars? She went quiet :D

My parents always said when I am old enough to get my license I can get a bike, then it changed to when I have a full time job and can buy the bike outright I could. I got the that point in June last year and much to my parents disgust I got my Ninja :D There was NOTHING they could do to stop me! My grandad was encouraging me to get one as he used to race motorbikes and could see how much I wanted one, needless to say, I let him have a ride :p

I was talking to my dad on the phone a few hours ago while he was travelling home and this biker in front was varying his speed and Dad was getting annoyed and said f&^%@^g bikers. I then responded to him that I am a biker and not all of us ride like idiots and stick to the posted speed limit. He was quiet after that :D

To me getting a road bike is something I have wanted to do since I was very young and I just feel free while riding, like I don't have a care in the world, this is the feeling I ride for :thumbup:

g21-30
January 16th, 2009, 05:23 AM
I have never been skiing in my life... Actually never really been to the snow. This includes living in Baltimore all of last winter. We had a light smattering of snow but not enough to play in... This year is supposed to be more white but we will see.

I get the story though..

Great response!

You're very close to Ski Liberty and Ski Roundtop. January is "Learn to Ski" month with great deals. You should check them out and go for a weekend. You will enjoy it!

conchwanab
January 16th, 2009, 07:47 AM
always wanted to ride when I younger but always thought in the back of my mind that I needed to mature enough so I would respect a bike so I would'nt get myself killed.I was proud of myself for getting the 250 and not listening to all the people who said my first bike should be a 650 or bigger.The 250 has proved to be more than enough for honing first time street bike skills!!
My wife and I want to get a 900 Vulcan later so we can go for cuises together.For what I tell people though,I really try to ignore most of the negative BS that I hear.If I would have listened to all the negative things people have to offer I would'nt leave my house!!

KnoxNinja
January 16th, 2009, 07:54 AM
Back to the topic, I simply have a death wish :D

conchwanab
January 16th, 2009, 07:58 AM
yeah, plain and simple rippin down the road on 2 wheels just kicks butt!!

jdesiano1
January 16th, 2009, 08:03 AM
"If you have to ask you wouldn't understand."

TonyKZ1
January 16th, 2009, 10:12 AM

Heheh, I like that one. For me, it started very young as my uncle(s) had a motorcycle and Mom had a picture of Dad and I on it when I was probably just a few years old. Then Dad bought my brother & I a old Yamaha dirt bike when we were barely teenagers.
Tony

Sailariel
January 16th, 2009, 01:56 PM
You can always tell them that you are prone to depression and that your shrink told you to generate Endorphins. Wonder if you could put a claim in to Blue Cross?

BlueTyke
January 16th, 2009, 02:11 PM
LOL I have medical through Johns Hopkins... I doubt.. it would work.

Sailariel
January 16th, 2009, 02:23 PM
Sunny, I would love to submit a claim for grins and giggles.

BlueTyke
January 16th, 2009, 02:49 PM
I think it would be funny... especially if you can find a shrink to support you... But then these days you can't claim it as a tax deduction anymore

ManyCavies
January 16th, 2009, 03:19 PM
Because I can! :D

kkim
January 16th, 2009, 06:18 PM

I'd tell you, "It's really none of your business", if asked in an incredulous manner.

Bikes have been a part of my life since the age of 16. Since then, I may have had years where I have not owned a bike, but it was not due to lack of wanting one. Life had higher priorities at different stages of my life. I would skirt in and out of owning dirt and street bikes, but circumstances made continued ownership an impossibility.

The bikes may not have been there, but the desire and longing for one was. Now that I'm at a place in my life that I can do what I want to do... I do exactly that.

The Ninja 250 has been my first street bike in about 5 years or so. When I got it and made the ride to work vid (http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10057), I sent a link off to each of my family members to let them know what I'd been up to in the last few months. My older sister, which I learned from my brother-in-law, was livid that I had taken up riding again and the vid of me riding to work convinced her that I had lost my mind!!! "What is wrong with him!!", he relayed. I told him that if she could not understand what what motorcycles had meant to me during my entire life, then she had no idea of who I really was as a person and the interests I've had throughout my life. (translation= I couldn't give a flying &^)* what she thought of my taking up riding)

I spoke to her recently and she kinda said she was PO'd at her husband for letting me know her reaction to my vid. She had thought it over later and understood and remembered what bikes had meant to me growing up and she harbored no ill feelings of me taking up riding again. I accepted her reasoning and let it go at that. She does live in SF, after all. :loco:

muffinman
January 16th, 2009, 07:06 PM
so i can race people and pickup sexy women

and because i love the feel of the wind on my arms and back as it flows through my t-shirt

250biker
January 19th, 2009, 12:58 PM
I really don't know what to say other than i feel great when i ride. I don't know how to put it other than it just feels right.

G250RSC
January 20th, 2009, 07:09 AM
Since my wife hates to ride......FREEDOM!!! Being on the open road, hitting the twisties and riding with friends!!

Sailariel
January 20th, 2009, 10:53 AM
I really don't know what to say other than i feel great when i ride. I don't know how to put it other than it just feels right.

Nathan, That is not in the least surprising. When we do things that are pleasurable to us, the chemistry in our brain changes--altering the balance between Endorphins and Dopamine. Current antidepressant medications started by the drug Prozac and its similarly acting drugs like Zoloft, Wellbutrin,and Lexapro, to mention a few, all work on this balance. Add riding in the fresh air and sunlight and you have the optimum environment for generating Endorphins.

ARc
January 20th, 2009, 01:17 PM
I tell them git on one and find out! hahaha

BlueTyke
January 20th, 2009, 03:40 PM
Hehe

KJohnson21
January 22nd, 2009, 12:33 AM
Like Alex said, it depends on what they're trying to get at and what angle they're coming from.

Sometimes they're questioning my sanity or trying to start a guilt trip, they usually get my explanation that I'm always careful, I've been riding for a long time, or that my daily drive is only four miles each direction.

Occasionally, they're actually curious about learning to ride, then I tell them about MSF training so they can see what it's like without having to buy a bike and all.

Fortunately, my family has never given me any serious grief about riding. It helps that my father, mother and older sister all rode before I did.

I've always ridden motorcycles because I enjoy it, not for what anyone else thought. Like Kelly, I've only been without a motorcycle for a couple of years. Not by choice, it's just the way things happened.

Anyway, I like what Levi was saying. I'd rather take the risk than end up in a retirement home thinking about what I wished I'd been doing when I was young.

ROCKNROLLA
January 22nd, 2009, 12:53 AM
Close friend of mine (and my parents) were pretty worried about me getting one but once they saw me riding on it around my house, seeing me bring it in, take off, practice in a car park you can see from my house they didnt worry so much - that AND my first words when I got on the bike were how much it scared me :p

Ridings fun, cheap and you stand out .. sure you've gotta watch out for idiot drivers but hey, could've died getting out of bed this morning :)

Viper-Byte
January 22nd, 2009, 01:12 AM
Anyway, I like what Levi was saying. I'd rather take the risk than end up in a retirement home thinking about what I wished I'd been doing when I was young. Exactly, that is the way I believe that one is supposed to live their life, if they are to live an interesting and forfilling life! :thumbup:

Ridings fun, cheap and you stand out .. sure you've gotta watch out for idiot drivers but hey, could've died getting out of bed this morning :) That is all true, and with the fuel prices increasing (they have gone up NZD$0.20C a litre in the past week here! to NZD$1.52 a litre) it makes bike stand out that much more over a cage. Heck you could even die before getting out of bed. :eek:

Another point I thought of why I like riding is the community of bikers, (excluding some make riders which we all know *cough* Harley Davidson *cough* :p ) everyone waves to each other, something that is not known with cages. I feel that alone is a huge buzz.

kazam58
January 22nd, 2009, 01:45 AM
^Man, if I had to wave to every cage I'd never get to put it in second, my hand would never hit the shifter. :p

grandmaster
January 22nd, 2009, 10:09 AM
Exactly, that is the way I believe that one is supposed to live their life, if they are to live an interesting and forfilling life! :thumbup:

Anyway, I like what Levi was saying. I'd rather take the risk than end up in a retirement home thinking about what I wished I'd been doing when I was young.

^^ Thanks, glad you guys understand what I was trying to say. I live by it, and think everyone should at least give it a chance...We were told at our graduation by the head of the district "do something that scares you everyday and you will be successful." Thought it was a good quote.

Viper-Byte
January 22nd, 2009, 10:33 AM
^Man, if I had to wave to every cage I'd never get to put it in second, my hand would never hit the shifter. :p Yeah, I know. :D

^^ Thanks, glad you guys understand what I was trying to say. I live by it, and think everyone should at least give it a chance...We were told at our graduation by the head of the district "do something that scares you everyday and you will be successful." Thought it was a good quote. Yeah, I agree, a life lived in fear is a life not lived, though you still have to draw a line of course. :thumbup:

grandmaster
January 22nd, 2009, 12:24 PM
^^ Hit it right on the nose :)

Viper-Byte
January 22nd, 2009, 12:33 PM
^^ Hit it right on the nose :) Ouch! that wasn't very nice... :hurt: :rotflmao:

(sorry, lack of sleep and lack of food has put me in a random mood :p)

komohana
January 28th, 2009, 11:02 AM
when asked why do i ride, my simple answer is 'because i love it'.

if asked, i'll say how when i was growing up, my neighbor tried to get me on this dirt-bike that would absolutely scare me to death, and i had NO desire to ride 2-wheeled anythings that i couldnt peddle.
but then when i was stationed in germany, i remember seeing these cafe styled bike riders on the ... the...autoban (sp?), and thought damm that looks like a blast! got stationed in edwards AFB ca. after that and this is where i decided some day i'm going to ride a street bike...a sport bike!

today, riding for me sorta reminds me of my flights in the back seat of the F-4 Phantom. it took skill, and nothing else comes into mind when i was there. its the same today when i sit on my bike. as soon as i pre-op everything else fades away, and all is right in the world.

Alex
January 28th, 2009, 11:39 AM
Steve - what's with the tiny text?

komohana
January 28th, 2009, 12:44 PM

if asked, i'll say how when i was growing up, my neighbor tried to get me on this dirt-bike that would absolutely scare me to death, and i had NO desire to ride 2-wheeled anythings that i couldnt peddle.
but then when i was stationed in germany, i remember seeing these cafe styled bike riders on the ... the...autoban (sp?), and thought damm that looks like a blast! got stationed in edwards AFB ca. after that and this is where i decided some day i'm going to ride a street bike...a sport bike!

today, riding for me sorta reminds me of my flights in the back seat of the F-4 Phantom. it took skill, and nothing else comes into mind when i was there. its the same today when i sit on my bike. as soon as i pre-op everything else fades away, and all is right in the world.

sorry i thought my fonts were too big but it's the computer i'm using thats making them so big...sorry

Alex
January 28th, 2009, 02:00 PM
sorry i thought my fonts were too big but it's the computer i'm using thats making them so big...sorry

No worries... ;)

Sailariel
February 1st, 2009, 10:01 AM

Have never flown in a fighter plane, but for some reason, riding a sport bike, has in my imagination been just that. It is nice to know that I am not alone with this metaphor.

CC Cowboy
February 1st, 2009, 10:44 AM
When asked why I ride a motorcycle (since they are so dangerous) I always reply that riding a motorcycle keeps me off crack (shaved or unshaven).

I find that riding feels more like skiing than flying.

BlueTyke
February 1st, 2009, 01:30 PM
:)

Strider
February 1st, 2009, 07:25 PM
At the risk of sounding like a copy-cat ... I always say :

"I ride because of the pure feeling of freedom that being alone and on 2 wheels gives me. If you can't understand that sensation, come and ride with me some day and you will learn."

At that point, they usually shut up and start shaking their heads in the negative ...

Although I am partial to what jdesiano1 said in an earlier post :

OldGuy
February 1st, 2009, 08:57 PM
Two years ago I might not have even though seriously about getting a "bike". But after beating cancer (and all who have will most likely second the idea) your realize you only live once.

That doesn't mean you do something stupid or ride stupid, it only means you do the things you have wanted to do for a long time.

As I was writing this it is funny but two memories came to mind; the first was when I was still in high school and a friend had a "big" white Cushman scooter that we used to ride around on (he was driving and I was on the back); the second was when I was in the Navy in 1966 and a good friend had a Honda 350 that I would ride on the back of. The first time I didn't know where to put the feet and my the heel of my Wellington's got a nice chain cut in it.

Having skied (also many years ago) I can relate to that experience. Riding a bike is like the first time you were able to come down a Black Diamond trail and do something other than side slip your way to the bottom. After that it was pure adrenaline no mater what you were doing.

Enough ramblings from the OldGuy - go forth and ride :)

Sailariel
February 2nd, 2009, 02:19 PM
Old Guy, I also started to see things differently after my bout with cancer five years ago. Got into bicyles real heavy, and started motorcycling after a long break (since 1982)

SF-Dug
February 3rd, 2009, 09:47 PM
This is why I ride!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOHpeN4-DcI

Yes I am The Mach Rider ! PH3@R M3 !!

komohana
February 3rd, 2009, 10:56 PM
This is why I ride!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOHpeN4-DcI

Yes I am The Mach Rider ! PH3@R M3 !!

:confused30: dang that one gave me an atari game console flash-back.. :bow:

ninjabrewer
February 4th, 2009, 12:04 AM
really been asked. I used to ride bicycles all the time when most my age, 16, were getting cars and the like. I kept at it, even raced as a licensed amateur for a year till my left knee started giving me fits, had knee surgery my senior year which kept my off the bike for several months and never really got back into since. Late last summer, a friend of mine, the same one I bought the bike off of, started talking about it. In the back of my mind I had always wanted one. So he talked me into and after I talked SWMBO into by telling her "60 mpg" and she was for it. :rolleyes: We were going to have to get another vehicle rather soon because of jr. was getting that age and, at the time, both of our schedules made it almost impossible to take her to school. Luckily, I was at a point in my military career where I could be a little bit more flexible, time wise. And now that I have it, BOY IS IT FUN. :thumbup: I have actually used it for transportation maybe 5 or 6 times, rest it has been riding around the island killing bugs and burning gas.

As for keeping the 250, I may get another one later, I have thought about a ZX6R, I will keep this for a while, I'm still having little issues that, if I had done them on a bigger bike, would caused some damage. :eek:

NB

Countrygirl
February 5th, 2009, 07:17 PM
Heh... I just grin widely, get a crazed look in my eye and tell them that I'm an adrenaline junkie and I love speed. (Which is true.)

People normally think I'm crazy or call me crazy. I just shrug and take it as a compliment. Rather be crazy than boring I say. :) Gives people something to talk about. I love hang gliding, sky diving, race car driving, snowboarding, diving in the ocean, and I want to go do more stuff as well. People are always asking me what crazy thing I'm doing.

I don't understand people who DON'T want to do it!!! It is just so much fun! Life is short. Live life and have fun I say! The crazier and wilder the better :)

kkim
February 5th, 2009, 07:19 PM
oh, oh... got a live one here. :jumping40:

TnNinjaGirl
February 5th, 2009, 07:20 PM
Settle down boys... lol

kazam58
February 5th, 2009, 09:14 PM
Heh... I just grin widely, get a crazed look in my eye and tell them that I'm an adrenaline junkie and I love speed. (Which is true.)
Damn, I wish I knew more girls like you. They don't come around often. At least certainly not around here.

ninjabrewer
February 5th, 2009, 11:55 PM

People normally think I'm crazy or call me crazy. I just shrug and take it as a compliment. Rather be crazy than boring I say. :) Gives people something to talk about. I love hang gliding, sky diving, race car driving, snowboarding, diving in the ocean, and I want to go do more stuff as well. People are always asking me what crazy thing I'm doing.

I don't understand people who DON'T want to do it!!! It is just so much fun! Life is short. Live life and have fun I say! The crazier and wilder the better :)

Where were you when I was single....:rolleyes:

And a name like countrygirl........:thumbup:

:partytime10:

Countrygirl
February 6th, 2009, 08:13 AM
Bhahahaha... You guys kill me. Settle down. I'm a freak and an anomaly. Trust me, I wouldn't wish me on my worst enemy. I'm extremely difficult to handle. :D I'm a roller coaster.

You have to be a special breed to be able to deal with the energy.
Craziness is not easy to live with! Just ask my husband. :) He calls me his "life sucking wife." HA. I put out a lot of energy, but I also drain people of their energy when I'm around them.... or they just get exhausted from being around me for too long.

Good luck finding someone like me, but just a word of warning, you need to have the patience of Job, be really easy going, and be able to want to do whatever the crazy brain thinks up. It may seem like lots of fun, but just ask my hubs, it's exhausting to deal with.

Although I make a great friend, I love to laugh and have fun, and that's the best way to play with me.

My name: Countrygirl... it's just cuz I am... I grew up on a farm for 18 years, I was a little hooligan giving my parents grief. Now I live in a small town, but plan on jumping to a small acreage in the next couple of years. :)

Nice to meet you all and can't wait to get to know everyone better! :)

Trozza
February 6th, 2009, 08:17 PM
cheap fuel, free/cheap parking, cheap rego, cheap insurance, better for environment, and while you get heaps of savings and the benefit of helping the planet, you have fun while doing it. :) There aren't too many things that you can do to help the environment while having fun.

Thats what I say when people ask.

BlueTyke
February 7th, 2009, 08:10 AM
Hehe yeah I suppose you are right!

tjkamper
May 8th, 2009, 07:11 AM
It gives me time when I can clear my head and focus on one activity. Why I'm in a car my mind wanders and I get stressed out thinking about all the "what ifs" in life along with upcoming meetings, interviews,trainings, tests, etc... On a bike, I only think about riding, traffic and that rediculous smile on my face. :D

I'm happier and have less stress in my life.:cool:

tinng321
May 8th, 2009, 07:25 AM
My family and relatives think i'm crazy for getting a bike.
1 of my bro is understanding and supportive cuz he's just like me.
I just tell them anything can be dangerous and deadly. A car can be dangerous if one drives it wrecklessly. I told my eldest bro that I don't intend to pop a willy going 100mph on the highway. I Told him I just wanted to ride and feel the experience. He finally understand and becomes more supportive. He even jokes about getting a shadow.

backinthesaddleagain
May 8th, 2009, 09:20 AM
got first dirt bike at 10, raced mx, lost a spleen in jr high due to a crash, got married no bike. got into skiing but couldn't ski out my door, can only do it in winter, and got sick of cost and cold weather, got into mtn biking, fun, but caught myself making engine noises in my head! so it is in my blood. I can leave it temporarily but not for long. just a great feeling to be riding.

backinthesaddleagain
May 8th, 2009, 09:25 AM
on the side subject of losing my spleen on a dirtbike - when i was in the hospital i met several other injured kids - bicycle crash, skateboard fall, and diving board accident. point being many ways to get hurt. years and years later heard of a guy dying in his kitchen. he slipped on wet floor and hit his head. can't avoid all risk, do we stay out of wet kitchen? This year a guy died at church - fell down the stairs. Do I stop going to church? Best we can do is learn our risk tolerance and manage it as best we can.

Snake
May 8th, 2009, 09:28 AM
I ride because it gives me a sense of freedom. I also enjoy the sense of belonging to a close knit group when I'm on group rides. I also get that feeling from the people at this forum. Everyone here is like family.

beowuff
May 8th, 2009, 09:53 AM
I saw a quote somewhere one time...

"Only a motorcyclist knows why a dog sticks his head out the window."

I suppose the opposite is also true.

"Only dogs with their head out the window know why we ride bikes."

Snake
May 8th, 2009, 10:00 AM
Those are two very good sayings. Very poinient.(spell?)

Apex
May 8th, 2009, 10:44 AM
Why in blue blazes do I ride?

Because I'm a rebel without a cause baby!! :D

And I love scuba diving too. Oohhhh I am such a risk taker! :becky:

TnNinjaGirl
May 8th, 2009, 12:52 PM
I saw a quote somewhere one time...

"Only a motorcyclist knows why a dog sticks his head out the window."

I suppose the opposite is also true.

"Only dogs with their head out the window know why we ride bikes."

Good to know someone understands me. lol

Snake
May 8th, 2009, 01:37 PM
Lol cb.

thsadmin
May 8th, 2009, 03:42 PM
Because I hate cars ... I feel like I have less control over a car. After riding bikes from childhood and then jumping behind a wheel of a car - the car seems huge and a steering wheel feels foreign to me.

Most car drivers feel as though they are invincible behind a wheel and no harm will come to them in a crash. Crash a car or a bike doing 120KMs and the outcome is the same - serious injury or death ...

But my answer is "I hate to drive a car and hate cars".

wyckedflesh
May 8th, 2009, 09:29 PM

Poetry

BlueRaven
May 9th, 2009, 06:10 PM
I just love to find new and exciting ways to shock my parents....they have a couple of life insurance policies on me so i must be worth a lot of money right now. My father made me sign an accident policy last year before i went on the road full-time (truck driving). I'm surprised he hasn't upgraded it to a greater amount this year when i got the bike.

kkim
May 9th, 2009, 06:12 PM
lol... smart parents. what did you do to piss them off? :D

BlueRaven
May 9th, 2009, 06:21 PM
I'm an only child since i was 10. My brother passed away from cancer when he was 8. I have the same disease he had so i'm living for today.

Snake
May 9th, 2009, 06:37 PM
Rachel you have a remarkable story to tell. You sound like a very strong person.

imunro
May 9th, 2009, 07:05 PM
I always wanted to have a motorcycle since I was a little kid (though I suppose I still am a little kid to many of you) so I had the chance to get one and I did.

Me too! Not to mention it's affordable for people with smaller budgets. :thumbup:

OldGuy
May 9th, 2009, 07:07 PM
I'm an only child since i was 10. My brother passed away from cancer when he was 8. I have the same disease he had so i'm living for today.

Those kind of things tend to change your outlook on life. You are a special person.

kkim
May 9th, 2009, 07:17 PM

In that case, you do what ever it is you want to do to live your life to your standards. Sorry to hear of your brother and even more so to hear of your condition. I wish you the best that life has to offer and all the happiness, joy and love you deserve.

BlueRaven
May 9th, 2009, 07:25 PM
Kinda wish i had someone special to share it all with. It makes everything you do even more special. :nod:

Snake
May 9th, 2009, 07:47 PM
For now share with us. Your extended family that cares about you.

Speedster
May 9th, 2009, 08:56 PM
When I ride my motorcycle is like being one with my surrounding (the openess and freedom that it makes me feel.):D I don't get that feeling when I am in my car.:car:

eddiekay
November 21st, 2009, 09:55 PM
It all started with a tricycle, then a couple of Schwinns and then a 10 speed Schwinn.
One day in maybe "66 a guy put me on a big bear scrambler. Let me ride it. I didn't even really want to ride it that much but, hey, why not.
The second I let the clutch out i knew...it was gonna be forever and the reasons why change everyday

tiburonsita
November 21st, 2009, 10:07 PM
Those kind of things tend to change your outlook on life. You are a special person.

Indeed. Live life to the fullest.

tntremainiac
November 22nd, 2009, 08:21 AM
It's cheaper than a psychiatrist. :thumbup:

DEXSPEED
November 22nd, 2009, 09:46 AM
for me another "X"on the list........."next!"

BlueRaven
November 22nd, 2009, 10:09 AM
wow reading all these old posts make you think how much this place has become part of our lifes and that we are part of an extended family...sorry being doing of lot reflection on my life lately :o

I just tell them life is too short to say what if....my moto just do it or at least try it once you never know you may have found a new passion and lots of new friends. Bike represents freedom to me and until you try it you can't explain it.

250Rocket
November 22nd, 2009, 02:10 PM
I tell them that I believe when it's your time to go, it's your time to go, so I rather it be riding my motorcycle than slipping in the bath tub or something.

When they blow it off I ask them why do some people survive horrific crashes and others choke on some food and die.

However that's not to say you are invincible. Not taking safety precaution is asking for death.

danknation
November 22nd, 2009, 02:17 PM
"I just wanna go fast Daddy!" - Ricky Bobby/Me

Snake
November 22nd, 2009, 02:33 PM
Sometimes I ride just to clear my mind.

EngrNewf
November 22nd, 2009, 05:14 PM
Because I'm single, it vibrates more then a boy, it's faster then a boy, it's bigger then a boy, it takes me where I want to go and back...in public places...and it smells like boy and brighter then most boys I date (even though one of the headlines are gone) :D

Nfiniti
November 22nd, 2009, 06:07 PM
Because of the endorphin rush.
Because it engages all of my sense.
Because it clears my mind.
Because, when I ride, I realize the thin line between life and death, making me value life =] and accept the risk and inevitability of death =]
Because I want to Fly, Sail, Drive, Ride, Bike, Swim, Run.

Greg_E
November 22nd, 2009, 07:58 PM
and pickup sexy women

Never worked for me, gave up a long time ago thinking that it might help me.

BlueRaven
November 22nd, 2009, 08:20 PM
don't feel bad greg doesn't work for me either

Rayme
November 22nd, 2009, 08:40 PM
When I sit in traffic on my bike I look at all the cars around me and think...pfff, losers. ahah!

I ride cause it feels good, that's it...and it's just so much more convenient than a car as far as personal transportation goes..

sixer
November 22nd, 2009, 09:03 PM
Because I have no money fer BMW! :D

Sailariel
November 22nd, 2009, 09:21 PM
I ride because it feels good. I much prefer it to driving a car--even a sports car. Been doing it off and on for 50 years. To clear my mind, I ride a bicycle. I own six, race two, and just enjoy being out there. I ride between 100 and 120 Mi a week. Right now, the Ninja does about 200 Mi a week because I have to go for occupational therapy for my tennis elbow twice a week--50 mi one way. So far the weather has cooperated. At some point we will get winter and I will have to put one of my bikes on the trainer and ride an hour or two in the garage (Heated) listening to opera on the stereo.

villamia
November 23rd, 2009, 01:54 AM
I really don't get they y u ride questions. I usually get "U RIDE?" I answer, " I sure do", with a big grin. Next questions, "arent u scared?", answer, "absolutely not", bigger/stupid grin. Conversation usually ends with them saying, "Cool or Wow" and then walking away or waiting to see me get on my bike and waiting on me to ride off as tho to confirm I really do ride. LOL, its always price less.

STORY... I remember gaulking at every parked bikes and drooling over every riders that wod pass me up on the freeways while I'm driving my car (smtimes I wod purposely slow down just to get a close look at the bike, lol) wishing it was me. I wod get this excitment feeling as I watchd them zoom by. My heart wod palpatate faster and I swear I stop breathing until they were out of sight. I knew someday it wod that people wod envy me. :) One day I wod ride (sounds corny, lol). I can honestly say the best day of my life was when I got the class M1 endorsement. 2nd best day...telln my parents and the awesome support they gave me with zero reservations. I enjoy every minute of riding. Plan to do it for the rest of my life.

On a side note...Countrygirls not alone.....

Bhahahaha... You guys kill me. Settle down. I'm a freak and an anomaly. Trust me, I wouldn't wish me on my worst enemy. I'm extremely difficult to handle. :D I'm a roller coaster.

You have to be a special breed to be able to deal with the energy.
Craziness is not easy to live with! Just ask my husband. :) He calls me his "life sucking wife." HA. I put out a lot of energy, but I also drain people of their energy when I'm around them.... or they just get exhausted from being around me for too long.

Good luck finding someone like me, but just a word of warning, you need to have the patience of Job, be really easy going, and be able to want to do whatever the crazy brain thinks up. It may seem like lots of fun, but just ask my hubs, it's exhausting to deal with.

Although I make a great friend, I love to laugh and have fun, and that's the best way to play with me.

Guys WE are out here. But WE are a handful and it take a special kinda guy to take on the challenge. Unfortunately, not too many guys that ACTUALLY want to work at it. I have not had the luck CG had. CG ur hubby is 1 in a 1000. He's definitely a keeper. :thumbup: to u. CG ur quote is almost word for word what I tell my friends. Hopefully, one day the rest of us "life sucking, put out a lot of energy, but drain people of their energy and exhausted from being around me for too long" girls will find Mr Right too. :ohno:

Flow
November 23rd, 2009, 07:07 AM
Because I hate cars ... I feel like I have less control over a car. After riding bikes from childhood and then jumping behind a wheel of a car - the car seems huge and a steering wheel feels foreign to me.

Most car drivers feel as though they are invincible behind a wheel and no harm will come to them in a crash. Crash a car or a bike doing 120KMs and the outcome is the same - serious injury or death ...

But my answer is "I hate to drive a car and hate cars".

This.
Plus, everyone knows owning a sportbike makes your :boink: larger. True story.

bdavison
November 23rd, 2009, 07:11 AM
If you have to ask, you'll never understand.

backinthesaddleagain
November 23rd, 2009, 09:03 AM
I tell them that I had no interest in motorcycles and then I saw "Sons of Anarchy" on tv and decided I wanted to live the outlaw lifestyle. They then ask how outlaw it is to ride a blue ninja 250, wear a full face helmet, and a tourmaster jacket.

I then ripoff my shirt and reveal on my back a huge tatoo that reads:

ninjette.org

ninjabrewer
November 23rd, 2009, 10:18 AM
never been asked.

I don't think I have, maybe I have, not sure.

Snake
November 23rd, 2009, 04:48 PM
When they ask me why I got this bike instead of a bigger bike I tell them this: At least I have a bike and you just keep talking about getting one".

sofo
November 23rd, 2009, 05:14 PM
As I tell people, I ride for two reasons:

1) I love motorcycle mechanics, design, function and riding technique so the challenge and experiences I get doing it are worth the risk.

2) It's something I won't regret not doing when I die.

Alex
November 23rd, 2009, 08:57 PM
I then ripoff my shirt and reveal on my back a huge tatoo that reads:

ninjette.org

:rotflmao:

backinthesaddleagain
November 24th, 2009, 08:15 AM
Glad you liked that one Alex.