View Full Version : Alllooo!

Mista Bob
January 15th, 2009, 03:49 PM
Just a quick question...

Wanna go out and ride so badly today, and the roads are great too.
Except for one problem... the sorta 'back' residential road I live on still has hard packed snow on it. Rest of the roads are fine.

Seeing how I've never rode in these conditions before I'm questioning just how much grip there would be..
Would it be possible to get through this with these tires? (stock equipped tires on my 250).
I'd of course take it extremely easy and slow.

Hmm! Any advice would be great. :eek:

Nemy
January 15th, 2009, 04:11 PM
hahaha I was in the same situation today... I was soooo tempted to take her out, but then I would've to bathe and winterize her again because of all the salt :(

I've tried riding in packed snow with the stocks... no grip at all. Not sure if the tires on the 08+ would be any better, but I couldn't get any traction, let alone make it out of first gear. Of course my residential street's on an incline... but coming home I would just roll off the throttle and coast in.

But either way, watch for the salt! It'll eat away at your bike or if you decide to wash her, it'll be too cold to properly dry up and she might start rusting...

Mista Bob
January 15th, 2009, 05:22 PM
Ah another ZZR rider! :D

Thanks for the reply.
It sure sucks seeing those nice roads out there, only to have one crappy road stop you eh.
What did you do for riding on the packed snow? Anything in particular to help prevent any spills?

Today, I ended up deciding not to ride. Gonna wait a bit to see if things improve.
And they should, since we got a bunch of really really nice days coming up in a row.

Gotta love chinooks.

Nemy
January 15th, 2009, 08:12 PM
What did you do for riding on the packed snow? Anything in particular to help prevent any spills?

lol i ended up leaving my bike at work that day... wasn't worth the risk and the hassle. So I've managed to ride in snow storms/slush but not packed snow. I hear alot of people who ride year round just have their feet down and use that and their front brakes to stop... never tried, but never got out of first gear anyways :rolleyes:

Mista Bob
January 19th, 2009, 02:40 PM
Decided to go out for a ride today...

My street consisted of a couple clear spots with everything else being ice/snow.
Wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. You just have to take it easy and as smoothly as possible.
Worst spot I rode was a parking lot that was completely iced over and very uneven.

When turning I'd slow down as much as possible and have my feet out to the side slightly sliding on the ground just to be safe.
The biggest thing I had a problem with I found was, coming to a stop.
Not the slowing down it self but having to put your feet down.
Can get real iffy trying to keep the bike up at a stop when all you have to put your feet on is ice.
Almost dropped it once because of just that, very glad I didn't.... people were watching. :p
I'm not too sure how well this would go for anyone that can't get both feet flat on the ground.