View Full Version : Front Rim same as 250?

JBinSD
November 16th, 2012, 05:54 PM
Can anyone confirm the 300 front is the same as the two-fiddy? Ie Rotor and hub match the same? I'm pretty sure tire size is the same. New front rim is $500+, yuck. I know the spoke style is different, but I can live with to save some $$.

thanx,
Joel

Alex
November 16th, 2012, 09:35 PM
I don't believe they are the same. The 250 rim fits a speedo sensor on the left, the 300 does without any spacer.

CZroe
November 20th, 2012, 09:04 PM
I wonder if it will fit using the newgen-J speed sender/meter gear as a spacer (no cable). The forks won't have the little notches that keep the meter gear in place but I doubt that's a concern. The rotor is the same but the position might not be. If it does fit, let us know!

The whole triple tree will almost certainly fit (the triple clamps are the same), so you might want to look into that if your forks are bent. If they are straight you might be able to get the lower parts from someone with bent newgen-J forks and build them onto your forks tubes, but the fork tube part numbers are different so that's probably only worth looking into if the seller will throw them in with the rim.

Hope this helps.

JBinSD
November 20th, 2012, 10:39 PM
Thanx CZ, it appears that the forks are straight, but who knows. I may try to get the wheel straightened/trued, but it will probably need to be replaced. I was hoping someone with both a 300 and a 250 could try a quick swap, but if not, when I get it back, I'll try taking to someone with a 250 and compare.

Cheers,
Joel

CZroe
November 20th, 2012, 11:07 PM
Thanx CZ, it appears that the forks are straight, but who knows. I may try to get the wheel straightened/trued, but it will probably need to be replaced. I was hoping someone with both a 300 and a 250 could try a quick swap, but if not, when I get it back, I'll try taking to someone with a 250 and compare.

Cheers,
Joel

When I was in San Diego and needed a rim straightened I took mine up to Sierra Madre to get it fixed at Mackie Welding. Dude did it in minutes and only charged me $70! That's a fraction of what any other service I've read about would charge and that's what I suggest you do.

I just tied that rim on my backpack and rode up there on my Ninjette (I already had powder-coated replacements) because I had other things to do in Banning and San Bernardino that day (yes, VERY long day).

tooblekain
November 21st, 2012, 02:24 AM
Joel, I would take your bike to Mackie in Sierra Madre or to Dr. John's Frame straightening in Anaheim. When my Daytona forks were bent I sent them to Dr. John's to fix.

Mackie I heard is cheaper. Both should be able to fix your wheel and go over the frame and forks to make sure other stuff is straight also. If not, they can fix. It will be the cheapest route for you overall I think. The 300 is too new to find used/salvaged parts on forums and on ebay.

JBinSD
November 23rd, 2012, 09:42 PM
D*mn, wish I woulda read these recs for Mackie earlier, I was just in Glendale today (I h8 LA,and avoid it like the plague), but could just swung by. Not sure if the rim can be trued or not, but hopefully. Good reviews thus far too. . . wish there was someone closer to SD though. .

Peanut_EOD
November 24th, 2012, 09:03 AM
A rim from a 250 will fit on the 300.

JBinSD
November 24th, 2012, 09:50 AM
Have you tried swapping 'em Peanut? Alex mentioned the speedo mount or rotor mount may be issues. . .

Peanut_EOD
November 24th, 2012, 05:28 PM
I haven't yet. The 250 is still in the RV. I'll swap them and take a picture for you as I bring the 250 home.

JBinSD
November 24th, 2012, 09:40 PM
Thanks peanut I appreciate it, no rush though the bike is still in various pieces. It must be a long walk from that mobile palace to the garage in the back too ;-).

Peanut_EOD
November 24th, 2012, 09:47 PM
It is, but I don't live in it full time. The RV is 30 miles away from my house in RV storage.

JBinSD
December 3rd, 2012, 03:10 PM
Hey Peanut, any chance you had time to check the rims for me? A new OEM '13 rim is over $500, but I can get a used newgen for around $100, but no one's been able to confirm if it'll play nicely. . . . :rolleyes:
thanx doood,
Joel

JBinSD
December 11th, 2012, 02:48 PM
If anyone else has access to a 250 and a 300 please let me know if it looks like the rims are inter-changeable; I've found several 250 rims to buy, but can't confirm if they'll work or not. . . Thnx.

alex.s
December 11th, 2012, 03:23 PM
hey joel my 250 is just sitting around. i can bring it by next weekend sometime if you want? where are you? do you have your bike or is it in the shop still?

JBinSD
December 11th, 2012, 04:05 PM
Hey thanx Alex, but my 300 is still up in LA w/ Bazazz, so I won't have it back for a bit. Every vendor wants it immediately, then it sits and nothing gets done. I have a ton of work to do on it, but haven't seen the thing in almost a month. I appreciate the offer, I see you're in C'bad too, maybe when I get it back I can spin by and try to trade wheels for a moment.

cheers,
Joel

alex.s
December 11th, 2012, 04:17 PM
the bike is in escondido but let me know

Peanut_EOD
December 13th, 2012, 06:55 PM
Ok, sorry it took me so long to get to this. I swapped the front rims on the 250 and 300. They fit just fine. Here you go.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y245/synernut/Ninja%20300R/photobucket-6772-1355447969544.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y245/synernut/Ninja%20300R/photobucket-7783-1355447995360.jpg

JBinSD
December 13th, 2012, 08:01 PM
Awesome, thanx Peanut, did the bolt right up? No issues with spacers or speedo cable mount? did you try riding them that way, or just bolt 'em on? Rotors and axle all the same?

I appreciate the effort man, owe ya a beer next round. . .

Peanut_EOD
December 14th, 2012, 10:00 PM
Awesome, thanx Peanut, did the bolt right up? No issues with spacers or speedo cable mount? did you try riding them that way, or just bolt 'em on? Rotors and axle all the same?

I appreciate the effort man, owe ya a beer next round. . .

Yep, they just went right on. Same axles. I just left the speedo mount on the 250 rim to act as the spacer. No I didn't ride them around. It was like 20* here last night.

CZroe
December 19th, 2012, 11:18 PM
Yep, they just went right on. Same axles. I just left the speedo mount on the 250 rim to act as the spacer. No I didn't ride them around. It was like 20* here last night.

Awesome. So he just needs to make sure he gets the speedo sender/meter gear too (cheap).

Anyway, I know the four mounting bolts on the front fender will not line up, but would it otherwise swap with only the top bolts holding it on?