View Full Version : HP Touchpad 32GB rooted w/ CyanogenMod9 [android]

lolibater
November 18th, 2012, 09:04 AM
Title pretty much says it all. I need to make some $ for some bigger, better toys headed my way soon. It's in like new condition, and comes with the charger, and a leather case that props up for watching movies.

CM9 has been extremely stable, and I think I still retained WebOS on there (I'll check)

$150 firm.

Feel free to ask questions.

alex.s
November 18th, 2012, 12:11 PM
i bid $1

lolibater
November 18th, 2012, 12:15 PM
lol this aint ebay son.

CZroe
November 20th, 2012, 09:18 PM
My brother just got an iPad mini and passed his HP Touchpad running CM9 to our sister. She sent him a text the other day saying "this touchpad is [censored] awesome!"

She uses it for reading and watching Netflix in bed.

These specs on these things make for a pretty good gaming tablet too. A guy at work wants me to put CM9 on his soon.

lolibater
December 2nd, 2012, 12:49 PM
Confirmed webos is still intact as well

lolibater
February 13th, 2013, 09:50 AM
bump.

volume button has been acting a bit weird lately. just wanted to let potential buyers know. periodically it will turn the volume up on it's own. i usually have the volume up all the way, so it hasn't been an issue for me.

mfresh
February 28th, 2013, 07:51 PM
$150 shipped?

I think my dad might be interested in this. He's been looking for a tablet.

I'll send him an email.

lolibater
February 28th, 2013, 07:55 PM
I might be able to do that depending on your location. Hopefully this can fit in a flat rate box, in which case location won't matter.

Just wanted to reiterate, it still periodically turns the volume up by itself. I'm not sure what's up with the button, but it doesn't click down firmly as it used to.

Other than that, it's perfect. I still use it daily :)

Let me know what'd you would like to do.

lolibater
March 13th, 2013, 08:07 AM
still for sale. I have pictures to email if needed.

lolibater
March 17th, 2013, 12:46 PM
bump

lolibater
March 19th, 2013, 03:10 PM
some please buy this.

alex.s
March 19th, 2013, 04:01 PM
i bid $2.

Jiggles
March 19th, 2013, 04:26 PM
$5

lolibater
March 19th, 2013, 05:30 PM
This isn't ebay.

Jiggles
March 19th, 2013, 05:36 PM
$6

lolibater
March 19th, 2013, 05:37 PM
That come with a complimentary hooker?

Jiggles
March 19th, 2013, 05:38 PM
I'll poke it with a stick

lolibater
March 19th, 2013, 05:44 PM
The hooker, or the tablet?

Jiggles
March 19th, 2013, 05:46 PM
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3362/3249910856_c47e5eed38_n.jpg

lolibater
March 19th, 2013, 05:51 PM
The hooker then.

mfresh
March 20th, 2013, 07:34 AM
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3362/3249910856_c47e5eed38_n.jpg

Friggen' hilarious. :happy10:

lolibater
March 24th, 2013, 08:49 AM
bump

lolibater
April 9th, 2013, 11:44 AM
bump

Jiggles
April 9th, 2013, 11:47 AM
$7

lolibater
April 9th, 2013, 12:39 PM
Is it ironic how every time I bump something here, I think to myself, "I bet jiggles is going to come in here with some stupid nonsense."

Jiggles
April 9th, 2013, 12:42 PM
i·ron·ic [ahy-ron-ik]
adjective
using words to convey a meaning that is the opposite of its literal meaning; containing or exemplifying irony: an ironic novel; an ironic remark.
of, pertaining to, or tending to use irony or mockery; ironical.
coincidental; unexpected: It was ironic that I was seated next to my ex-husband at the dinner.

Nope, don't think so

lolibater
April 9th, 2013, 12:44 PM
And there you go confirming it for me lol! I don't expect this to even sell on here to be honest. I just bumped it so we could talk again :P

Jiggles
April 9th, 2013, 12:58 PM
:flipthebird:

EMSRacer07
April 9th, 2013, 01:22 PM
got a bro price? might be interested

lolibater
April 9th, 2013, 02:33 PM
Yeah I do. I'll shoot it to you on FB.

Coolbpf
April 9th, 2013, 02:55 PM
bump.

volume button has been acting a bit weird lately. just wanted to let potential buyers know. periodically it will turn the volume up on it's own. i usually have the volume up all the way, so it hasn't been an issue for me.

Mine does that too I think it's just an ipad thing.

lolibater
April 9th, 2013, 03:05 PM
Well this isn't an ipad lol.

nycsteve
April 18th, 2013, 11:05 AM
Has games on it? Any cool programs or features? I have an iPad but might be selling it soon. I want something that can play some cool games.

astricklin
April 18th, 2013, 11:31 AM
It has a fairly decent dual core chipset in it. And running android, whatever is out there for android is available. Don't quote me on this, but I believe that there is an application that should allow you to play the nvidia only games on it, but not sure how well they work if possible.
It will do netflix, hulu, hbo go, email, web browsing. All the basic stuff that people use a tablet for.
Go here for more info on what you can and cannot do with the Android OS port.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1245

CZroe
April 18th, 2013, 12:00 PM
It has a fairly decent dual core chipset in it. And running android, whatever is out there for android is available. Don't quote me on this, but I believe that there is an application that should allow you to play the nvidia only games on it, but not sure how well they work if possible.
It will do netflix, hulu, hbo go, email, web browsing. All the basic stuff that people use a tablet for.
Go here for more info on what you can and cannot do with the Android OS port.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1245

I thnk the tool is called Chainfire3D or something like that. I've used it to run Xperia Play optimized games with the nVidia Tegra-exclusive special effects. Sounds kinda like the old Glide wrappers for running 3dfx software on standard Direct3D/OpenGL hardware.

lolibater
April 18th, 2013, 12:13 PM
It can run most anything you can find in .apk format.

astricklin
April 18th, 2013, 12:57 PM
I would say both yes and no. He specifically mentioned games, and they tend to be a little less compatible than other apps. Even with different makes and models of phone. That is one downside to the open nature of Android. One non-game example is that I am able to download from the Play Store the HBO Go app onto my touchpad with the latest version of CM9, but I cannot download the Max Go app as it states that it is not compatible with the device.

I am not trying to discourage the purchase, but just giving information. I own one myself and I think it is a great device. The hardware is good and Android runs on it well, but it is just the nature of the OS that there will be compatibility issues due to device and OS version differences. I really wish that WebOS would have gotten more support as I think that it is a very good operating system. I think that the email application on it is far superior to what android has and enjoyed the overall UI, but there are just no apps available.

Here are some interesting/cool things that you can do with an Android tablet that I am not aware of being able to do with an ipad. They may take different levels of effort to get working and have varying levels or bugs.
1) connect a ps3 controller for playing games
2) connect to external drives, or keyboard and mouse with USB OTG (on the go)
3) Customization with themes and backgrounds.

CZroe
April 18th, 2013, 05:25 PM
I would say both yes and no. He specifically mentioned games, and they tend to be a little less compatible than other apps. Even with different makes and models of phone. That is one downside to the open nature of Android. One non-game example is that I am able to download from the Play Store the HBO Go app onto my touchpad with the latest version of CM9, but I cannot download the Max Go app as it states that it is not compatible with the device.

I am not trying to discourage the purchase, but just giving information. I own one myself and I think it is a great device. The hardware is good and Android runs on it well, but it is just the nature of the OS that there will be compatibility issues due to device and OS version differences. I really wish that WebOS would have gotten more support as I think that it is a very good operating system. I think that the email application on it is far superior to what android has and enjoyed the overall UI, but there are just no apps available.

Here are some interesting/cool things that you can do with an Android tablet that I am not aware of being able to do with an ipad. They may take different levels of effort to get working and have varying levels or bugs.
1) connect a ps3 controller for playing games
2) connect to external drives, or keyboard and mouse with USB OTG (on the go)
3) Customization with themes and backgrounds.I know tons of apps and games on iOS that don't work on everything due to different capabilities and, yes, even arbitrary restrictions (original iPhone has the exact same hardware as the iPhone 3G and yet it can't run iOS4, can't install apps that require iOS4, and can never acknowledge updates for apps.

Android games exclusive to one device or another are almost always timed exclusives or limit their exclusivity to special effects that have nothing to do with gameplay. For example, Riptide GP only has the splashed water refraction on the camera/screen on a device with an nVidia Tegra SoC inside unless you use Chainfire3D, but it works just fine without. Minecraft Pocket Edition launched a week or so early on the Sony Ericsson Xperia PLAY to promote the phone's built-in game controller, but it's available to everyone now.

Some apps have trouble with the 4:3 screen aspect ratio of the HP Touch Pad (most Android devices are 16:9). For example, Words With Friends doesn't work right and Shadogun has some menu functions pushed a little off the screen with the default DPI, but you can change that. Heck, you can even spoof another tablet in the Play Store/Market to get access to all of its apps.

The Max Go issue is just content holders enforcing DRM requirements for the devices viewing their content. A Touch Pad running Android is rooted with an unlocked/cracked bootloader and no DRM keys, so it doesn't get support. Similar iOS apps detect jailbroken iOS devices and refuse to run in the same way. It may be possible for a Touch Pad to spoof a supported tablet and get it working, so at least there's that.

That said, my brother uses his iPad mini about a thousand times more than his HP Touch Pad, but when he isn't using the Touch Pad our sister is constantly watching Netflix on it. It's great!

lolibater
May 10th, 2013, 11:50 AM
bumps

lolibater
May 14th, 2013, 10:37 AM
open to trades for hookers and blow?

seriously though open to trades for 2012 Ninja 650 parts :)

Cash is good too. Help me pay for my 600mi service!

Alex
May 14th, 2013, 12:22 PM
I think you're going to need to find other ways to convert this gadget into money. Heck, make an entertaining video with it for http://www.willitblend.com/ , and you might get more than what's being offered so far. :thumbup:

lolibater
May 14th, 2013, 12:59 PM
I know right lol. I just have no motivation to use it. I have so many other toys and tablets to play with :)