View Full Version : SMX Plus Boots: Gore-Tex or Leather?

EternalNewb
November 18th, 2012, 12:22 PM
Hey guys, I've been looking at getting some better boots (read as actually more protective) and I was just wondering if anyone had experiences/opinions on gore-tex versus leather? I've been looking at the Alpinestars SMX Plus as a nice normal ride/could be used at track if needed option. Any opinions? Or alternatives? I know that if I'm dropping cash on the SMX Plus, some Dainese models are also in the same price range, but I haven't seen a lot of feedback on Dainese boots, and the Alpinestars seem to offer more protection in terms of bang for buck....

00NissanNinja
November 18th, 2012, 12:41 PM
You can't go wrong with the SMX-plus, its an awesome boot. Easily the most comfortable full length boot I've ever worn. Its so easy and comfortable to walk in that none of my other boots satisfy me at all. They also won't squeak if you get lucky (mine eventually started to). I'd just get the regular ones if you aren't expecting to ride in lots of heavy downpours. Gore-tex is really for waterproofing purposes, and most of the time I haven't ridden in rain long enough to get my boots soaked.

IMO they are more comfortable than daniese torque boots as well.

Byakkotai
November 18th, 2012, 02:49 PM
Try em on and others on at a local shop if you haven't already. Does Astars run a retail front in Socal? I know Dainese has one in Costa Mesa. Dependent on local weather, consider the pros/cons of vented vs. waterproof. Regardless, Astars/Dainese are both great brands.

My TRQ Tour Gore-tex Dainese boot ran a little narrow out of the box but broke in only after one ride. It's held up fine in 40-75 F riding so far but haven't taken it out for rain. Really a good long distance boot and kind of looks like some of the other Dainese trackday offerings sans certain technicalities. Won't lie, chose Dainese for the overall look of their boots then started comparing between boots from there.

EternalNewb
November 18th, 2012, 02:55 PM
Thanks for the feedback, guys. I've tried to check the boots out in person, but nobody seems to have them in my size. The closest I got was a standard SMX 5 boot, but I heard that the fit on the plus is a little different. I've been thinking of checking out the Dainese store in Costa Mesa, but fear for my bank account.

Byakkotai
November 18th, 2012, 03:08 PM
Your wallet is going to take a hit anyway if you're looking into these technical boots :D Check out the D-store for closeouts too - sometimes they are cheaper than what you would find online (and you get to try it on :thumbup:). D-store SF has a display bike you can also get on to see how the boots feels in a riding position, dunno about Orange County. Good luck on your quest!

alex.s
November 18th, 2012, 03:12 PM
Easily the most comfortable full length boot I've ever worn.

the smx pro is slightly more comfortable than the plus. also the puma dainese's are more comfortable.

EternalNewb
November 18th, 2012, 03:17 PM
Thanks a ton! I know my wallet is going to take a hit either way, but I fear going to the Dainese store more since there's a race jacket of theirs that I really want to buy. And then I might look at track suits. Hahaha.... I'll try to check it out though.

alex.s
November 18th, 2012, 04:07 PM
the dainese "race leather" jacket is great. not as expensive as the avro but still pretty nice. it is my daily commuter jacket and i love it.

EternalNewb
November 18th, 2012, 04:19 PM
the dainese "race leather" jacket is great. not as expensive as the avro but still pretty nice. it is my daily commuter jacket and i love it.

This one?
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/dainese-racing-leather-jacket

alex.s
November 18th, 2012, 04:24 PM
yeah, i have that in red/white/red

EternalNewb
November 18th, 2012, 06:33 PM
That's the one I was looking at. Still up in the air about whether to get the white/red or black one though.

LoneRonin
November 19th, 2012, 09:36 AM
I got the best of everything...minus the protection of a full track boot
Leather, Puma Goretex riding shoes.
They're not a full boot but I wear them to school and have even worked out in them, super comfy to wear all day and stylish as ****!!

http://www.mocyc.com/picture_upload/market/full/2012-10/1351145570.jpg

alex.s
November 19th, 2012, 09:39 AM
have fun breaking your ankle?

EternalNewb
November 20th, 2012, 06:38 AM
Ugh, that's it! Nobody seems to have the SMX Plus or SMX Pro in my size in stock. Off to the Dainese store I go today... Lets see if they have the Puma boots in my size....

DaveTheCanuck
November 20th, 2012, 10:56 AM
Doesn't Revzilla have a no questions asked/no restock fee return policy? You could always order a size and return/exchange them if they don't fit.

EternalNewb
November 20th, 2012, 10:59 AM
Yes, but I don't want to go back and forth wasting money on shipping. Also, boots sooner than later would be great, since I'm not too keen on riding without full gear.

alex.s
November 20th, 2012, 11:04 AM
cyclegear!
in store try on, 100% no questions return policy even if the item is used/damaged, they will even order a different size if they don't stock the right size and you dont have to pay for it if you dont want it once they get it in. (if it still doesn't fit right or you don't like the color or something)

their prices are about average (no ironpony %40 discount here) but paying a little extra is worth having a local store i think. if you still want to pay less, try everything out at cyclegear then buy the boots from ironpony AYC collection for super cheap.

EternalNewb
November 20th, 2012, 11:07 AM
I'll try them again. Maybe the guy Iwas talking to was just having a bad day or something, but he told me they couldn't order the SMX plus anymore. :confused:

alex.s
November 20th, 2012, 11:31 AM
i bought my smx plus boots from them. just tell them you want them to order this size... if they say they can't order, tell them order it or i wont shop here... they will order it.

if they still try to give you lip or a hassle ask to talk to the manager. some punk sales people wont sell if they think you will return it cause they waste their commission if you return it. thats what you gotta realize about cyclegear... the sales people are like car salesmen... just ignore them when they hover, and when you are ready, tell them what you want them to do at the counter.

Byakkotai
November 20th, 2012, 11:51 AM
^^^

Read something a while ago about not being able to order things up over the phone if it's gonna be shipped to the store, gotta do it in person or something. Attracted a huge CG flame fest about other CG customer service stuff over at BARF if I remember correctly. It would have been helpful if the guy over the phone offered you alternatives to helping you get the SMX Plus instead of "no, we don't want your money"...

Anyhoos - D-store SF has a Black Friday 3 day sale of 15% off storewide (CG is offering the same deal on all reg priced items although you have to buy online). Wondering if the Orange County store has it as well?

alex.s
November 20th, 2012, 12:02 PM
what shoe size do you wear?

http://www.ironpony.com/ironponydirect/product-info.asp/ImageName/AYC11-SMX5-BOOT-BLUE.jpg/Brand/ALPINESTARS%20AYC/Class2/Footwear/Class3/Street%20Boots-Mens/Class1/

EternalNewb
November 20th, 2012, 01:50 PM
Haha, I'll do that if I don't find anything that fits (me and my budget) at the Dainese store. I'm still kinda keen on the jacket.
I wear a size 38, I think, since I noticed it changes based on the shoe. Thanks for the link to Ironpony, but the closest they have is the 39.

alex.s
November 20th, 2012, 03:31 PM
these are a 38 and are closer to the shoe you linked..
http://www.ironpony.com/ironponydirect/product-info.asp/ImageName/alpinestars-ayc-smx-boot-black.jpg/Brand/ALPINESTARS%20AYC/Class2/Footwear/Class3/Street%20Boots-Mens/Class1/
a friend of mine wears and swears by these (which they have in a 38):
http://www.ironpony.com/ironponydirect/product-info.asp/ImageName/AYC11-RIDGE-BOOT.jpg/Brand/ALPINESTARS%20AYC/Class2/Footwear/Class3/Street%20Boots-Mens/Class1/

EternalNewb
November 20th, 2012, 08:28 PM
alex.s and Byakkotai, you guys are awesome. Thanks for all the extra help. I think I'm going to go for a full boot, just to be on the safe side. I'm kind of in love with some of the Dainese boots I tried on today, but they were all too big. The closest they had was a 40... I'm looking online to see if I can find the Torque Out Pro in my size, but it doesn't look like its happening, so I may just have a local cyclegear order the SMX Plus for me, as per Alex's advice.

rawbert625
November 20th, 2012, 08:59 PM
you can always go sidi. Lots of shops carry their stuff in store.

I bought the fusions and I love them!
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/sidi-fusion-boots

EternalNewb
November 20th, 2012, 09:11 PM
you can always go sidi. Lots of shops carry their stuff in store.

I bought the fusions and I love them!
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/sidi-fusion-boots

Thanks, I'll check them out. However, the problem is finding a place that has euro size 38 in stock. ;)

Byakkotai
November 21st, 2012, 03:01 PM
No problem dude! Keep us posted!

EternalNewb
November 26th, 2012, 02:37 PM
Agggh, as I feared, I'm now somewhat in love with Dainese gear, and find myself wanting a one-piece, $500 boots, and other expensive goodies. Still considering the SMX-Plus and other boots though.

alex.s
November 26th, 2012, 02:49 PM
i wear a used dainese race suit. i picked it up for $250 i think? needed some minor work done that i did myself; something to think about.
a friend of mine has a few JRs... they seem alright. joerocket suits are pretty good quality for the low pricetag they have. but nothing new with a good price tag is going to be as comfy as a dainese. not sure how practical a full one piece would be on the street.
sidi boots are pretty good too and much cheaper than dainese or a*.

Byakkotai
January 14th, 2013, 11:52 PM
Not sure if you've completed the boot search a while ago or not...but I got this in an email like a day ago. $50 off retail, not sure if it'll go any lower - haven't been in this game that long :D

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/closeouts/boots/alpinestars/2011_smx_plus_boots.html

EternalNewb
January 15th, 2013, 06:22 AM
:happy70: :happy90:
Thanks, Byakkotai! This is precisely the deal I've been waiting for. :bow: Just ordered them... after a debate on color. Hahaha.

Byakkotai
January 15th, 2013, 10:00 PM
Very nice :thumbup: Hope they keep your feet happy for many riding seasons to come!

tfkrocks
January 15th, 2013, 10:18 PM
I might have to take advantage of that deal. I noticed that Dainese, Sidi, and some others just don't make racing boots in smaller than a EU 40/Mens 7, which is disappointing cuz I fell in love with a pair of Dainese boots when I saw them in a store. I like the look of the Italian-made boots more but I guess it's just not meant to be. Oh well, A* is still good :D

EternalNewb
January 16th, 2013, 09:55 AM
tfkrocks, I know!! I had the same problem when I checked out some Dainese and Sidi boots, but they don't make them in a small enough size.

alex.s
January 16th, 2013, 09:58 AM
hey nice price on the smx plus... thats the boot i use on track and i love it. its a great boot. what color did you get

EternalNewb
January 16th, 2013, 10:14 AM
I was torn between the black, white and red. I really wanted the white, but I ended up grabbing black, since it'll be my catch all boot (commuting and what not). Still resisting the temptation to pick up a second pair in white though....

Byakkotai
January 16th, 2013, 06:36 PM
All the colors look good :D Vented black?

EternalNewb
January 23rd, 2013, 11:30 AM
So the boots just came in. Yay!
But they're kinda tight. I can fit into them and zip them up with a little difficulty, but they're definitely tight. Should I go a size up? I'm concerned about it being too loose if I do that though...

I guess a better question to those who have them would be, will they stretch with use/time?

rawbert625
January 23rd, 2013, 04:15 PM
Most leather boots will stretch as they're being broken in but for the most part motorcycle boots are supposed to be stiff. Is it extremely comfortable on your foot?

I'm sure alex.s can give you a better answer though, being that he owns a pair.

I tried getting alplinestars boots before. They're way too narrow in the toe area for me. I ended up going sidi.

EternalNewb
January 23rd, 2013, 04:20 PM
I think I'm just going to keep them, and adopt the attitude that they'll fit like rollerblades or ice-skates. Thanks Robert!

alex.s
January 23rd, 2013, 04:30 PM
they will stretch a little. but with 3 different closures, you should be able to have it loose or tight if you want. but if they are too tight they will constrict blood flow and you'll get numb foot... trust me you don't want numb feet. go up a size or have a tailor give you a little extra room.

oh P.S., i'm wearing the smx-plus in my avatar photo

rawbert625
January 23rd, 2013, 04:50 PM
they will stretch a little. but with 3 different closures, you should be able to have it loose or tight if you want. but if they are too tight they will constrict blood flow and you'll get numb foot... trust me you don't want numb feet. go up a size or have a tailor give you a little extra room.

oh P.S., i'm wearing the smx-plus in my avatar photo

your avatar is STOLEN!

EternalNewb
January 23rd, 2013, 04:54 PM
Thanks, Alex! I'm just wearing them around the house right now to see if they break in much. If that doesn't work, there's a shoe place down the street that does stretching, so I'll try them. Unfortunately, I did try a 39, and it was a bit much large on me.

00NissanNinja
January 23rd, 2013, 06:45 PM
I have them too, mines are snug but not tight. They should break in a bit. However, could ask in what way are they tight? Too tight on the sides, or not enough room for your toes? I'm also wearing mine in my avatar photo too. They should be really easy to walk in and flexible. I don't wear any of my other boots because they suck in comparison.

EternalNewb
January 23rd, 2013, 06:53 PM
They're tight on the top of my foot. I've had them on for a couple hours now, it's basically just the top of my left foot that's getting pressed against the interior bootie lacing stuff.

00NissanNinja
January 23rd, 2013, 07:02 PM
I see, well all I can say is make sure you give the tongue on the inside a good pull before tightening the laces and just try them out for a bit longer. Anyways not much help but if it doesn't work out try getting them tailored like you plan to.

EternalNewb
January 23rd, 2013, 07:05 PM
Cool. Thanks for all the help and feedback, guys! Much appreciated.

EternalNewb
January 26th, 2013, 10:03 AM
Whelp, looks like I'm shipping them back. The vertical clearance is way too tight, and my feet still ache more than 2 days later from that one night of trying them on/trying to break them in.

On another note, tfkrocks, if you still plan on buying a pair of these, Cycle Gear has the 2011 model on sale for $280 right now.

Check it out. (http://www.cyclegear.com/eng/product/SMX_Plus_Motorcycle_Boots/web1000193)

tfkrocks
January 26th, 2013, 03:21 PM
Actually I scored the current model from Sportbike Track Gear for $295 :D

Sorry they didn't work out for you. Good luck finding a pair of boots that work for you!

EternalNewb
January 26th, 2013, 06:38 PM
Sweet! Glad to hear it.

EternalNewb
February 6th, 2013, 06:14 PM
So the sizing on Alpinestars SMX Plus boots doesn't fit my feet at all. =( They're way too tight vertically, but as sizes get larger, I basically swim in them in length and width. Oh well...
On a related note, I ended up getting a pair of Dainese boots instead.

Byakkotai
February 6th, 2013, 06:21 PM
Ah bummer about the SMX Plus Boots...sorry to send you on a goose chase :(

Hope you're able to finally get the boots you want and fit!

EternalNewb
February 6th, 2013, 06:29 PM
No no, thanks so much! You've been really helpful, and I'm super-appreciative of all your efforts! I liked the SMX Plus a lot, but it unfortunately didn't work for me. Still, thank you so much for keeping an eye out for me, and helping with all your feedback. =)

antiant
February 7th, 2013, 09:26 AM
EternalNewb - What kind of Dainese boots did you get specifically and how are they so far? I'm in the boat of trying to figure out what boots to get as well. I was also looking at the A*s SMX+, but now I'm thinking about Dainese.

EternalNewb
February 7th, 2013, 03:05 PM
antiant I ended up getting a pair of Dainese Torque RS Out boots in size 39. So far I really like the fit and feel. I'd say you could try mine on, but I dunno if you're anywhere nearby.

antiant
February 7th, 2013, 04:28 PM
antiant I ended up getting a pair of Dainese Torque RS Out boots in size 39. So far I really like the fit and feel. I'd say you could try mine on, but I dunno if you're anywhere nearby.Ah, yeah I am in the Central Valley and I wear a 42 (mens)/43 (womens), thanks for the offer. I've been looking at the Dainese Torque RS Air Out and the TRQ's as well.

tfkrocks
February 7th, 2013, 06:36 PM
EternalNewb So would you say that Dainese sizing is a bit smaller than A* sizing then since you're able to wear a size 39? Although I did just get boots, I still can't help lusting for a pair of Dainese boots haha.

EternalNewb
February 7th, 2013, 08:56 PM
Rebecca I'd say that they are more narrow, and have a little more vertical clearance throughout. I really like the fit. You should check out the store in your area and try some on.

Actually, then you might end up buying them... Which is kind of what happened with me. Hahaha, but then I needed a pair of boots.

EternalNewb
February 7th, 2013, 08:58 PM
Ah, yeah I am in the Central Valley and I wear a 42 (mens)/43 (womens), thanks for the offer. I've been looking at the Dainese Torque RS Air Out and the TRQ's as well.

Haha, yeah, I'm a bit far from you, and also my boot size is smaller. Have you checked out the Axial Pros? So sexy. But not in my size, and the price tag...

antiant
February 7th, 2013, 09:21 PM
Haha, yeah, I'm a bit far from you, and also my boot size is smaller. Have you checked out the Axial Pros? So sexy. But not in my size, and the price tag...Yeah, those are sweet and I love the in-boot style that Dainese offers, however due to its proprietary aspect, then you're forced to buy the pants too and then it's downhill from there with your wallet, haha. Also, my foot is on the narrow side (width A) and Dainese (so I've heard) runs narrow, so I think it will be a perfect match.

EternalNewb
February 7th, 2013, 09:30 PM
Yeah, those are sweet and I love the in-boot style that Dainese offers, however due to its proprietary aspect, then you're forced to buy the pants too and then it's downhill from there with your wallet, haha. Also, my foot is on the narrow side (width A) and Dainese (so I've heard) runs narrow, so I think it will be a perfect match.

Very true about getting stuck with the brand. I do really like mine, so I'm not going to try to dissuade you from buying those Torque RS boots. At least with them, you don't have to stick with Dainese pants/suits. I think they're really comfortable, and the inner lacing system really helps to tighten it up if it feels too wide.

tfkrocks
February 7th, 2013, 09:36 PM
Hmm... if they're on the narrow side, then it might not work well for me, but then again the larger size might even it out. Guess I'll have to swing by a store some time to try it. I just have to know if there is any reason for me to continue eyeing Dainese boots since it would be silly to keep looking if they won't ever fit haha.

EternalNewb
February 7th, 2013, 09:43 PM
I'd say try on a size 39 (guys) at the store, and bring some thick socks in case if they're big, to see if that will help. I really like mine, and, as mentioned before, the inner lacing system helps.

antiant
February 7th, 2013, 09:44 PM
Very true about getting stuck with the brand. I do really like mine, so I'm not going to try to dissuade you from buying those Torque RS boots. At least with them, you don't have to stick with Dainese pants/suits. I think they're really comfortable, and the inner lacing system really helps to tighten it up if it feels too wide.I'm leaning more and more toward Dainese anyways, plus I have heard that they have better ankle protection over the A*s SMX+. I'll probably buy some within the next couple of weeks after I go over the final pro's and con's in the whole decision making process.

EternalNewb
February 7th, 2013, 09:49 PM
Yeah, I ran through both, and as much as I really liked the Alpinestars SMX Plus, I liked the Daineses more. I was going to go for whichever had the better price tag, but after having had both in my hands, I really do like the Daineses more, and the ankle protection does feel more solid. I love that the zippers are on the back, and that there's some velcro paneling there to allow for a little adjustment if necessary.

antiant
February 7th, 2013, 09:51 PM
Yeah, I ran through both, and as much as I really liked the Alpinestars SMX Plus, I liked the Daineses more. I was going to go for whichever had the better price tag, but after having had both in my hands, I really do like the Daineses more, and the ankle protection does feel more solid. I love that the zippers are on the back, and that there's some velcro paneling there to allow for a little adjustment if necessary.Yep, I think I'm going to go that route and get the Dainese TRQ Race Out Air Boots. These videos just made my decision for me... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yS9aMM-f4fA & http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jh7UoSHtB9o

EternalNewb
February 7th, 2013, 10:02 PM
Haha, seems like it's contagious - this growing love of Dainese products.

antiant
February 7th, 2013, 10:11 PM
Yes, I love Dainese, but everytime I find something I like, it's all sold out, or not in my size. It sells fast, especially women's gear because of the limited demographics/market. Thankfully, that doesn't come into play with boots.

EternalNewb
February 7th, 2013, 10:13 PM
Seriously. Finding things that fit is ridiculously difficult. I may swing by the Costa Mesa Dainese store again soon to look at some jackets. The XS Scorpion one I'm using is a frikkin parachute at 60-65mph+.

antiant
February 7th, 2013, 10:25 PM
Haha, I just got the strangest visual of a motorcyclist drawing a ripcord from their Ozio No Drag backpack and trying to slow down with that, like some drag racer. I really wanted the Dainese Women's Racing Leather Jacket in white (so sexy), but it's gone... forever :/. You're lucky you live in an area with decent stores. I only have Cyclegear with Bilt crap.

tfkrocks
February 7th, 2013, 11:19 PM
A* full boots still have CE certification so I think they should be sufficient protection. No matter what you choose, I think you'll be plenty protected :)

EternalNewb
February 8th, 2013, 08:44 AM
Yeah, both boots are really cool. And I am lucky that I live 1.5 hours away from a Dainese store. That said, they never had the race jacket in my size :( . That thing was so cool!

antiant
February 8th, 2013, 07:44 PM
Welp, as usual the model/size/color I wanted was pretty much sold out, I was a day late and a dollar short. I did some looking around on the internet and found the Dainese Torque Pro Out on closeout for just a few more dollars and got those. Should be arriving Tuesday. ^_^

tfkrocks
February 8th, 2013, 10:49 PM
Glad you found some boots. Let us know how they are!

When I walked around the Dainese store in SF, it only made me feel like a small child. I wish I weren't so tiny so I could actually get the gear that catches my eye.

antiant
February 9th, 2013, 07:09 AM
Will do! I wasn't really aware of a Dainese store in the Bay Area (not surprised though), but now I'll have another place to visit. I frequent that area way more due to proximity. Now that I have part of my checklist marked off, I'm onto the next goal.

EternalNewb
February 9th, 2013, 09:13 AM
Congrats on the boots. I'm echoing Rebecca here, but let us know how they work out.

LoneRonin
February 10th, 2013, 11:44 AM
have fun breaking your ankle?

I've been down more than a handful of times...have never broken anything. For street riding those Puma's are just fine. I ride everywhere, everyday. Full out track boots look retarded walking around the mall or at school...I only wear my Sidi's on the track and on my aggressive weekend joyrides when I'm in full leathers.

I just got these today. Now they're a proper street riding boot, and sexy as hell.

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm99/jay23_90/20130210_125844.jpg

alex.s
February 10th, 2013, 06:57 PM
So.. Many........ Contradictions..... Must..... Resist....... /FACEPALM

LoneRonin
February 10th, 2013, 07:11 PM
easy there racer boy...

antiant
February 12th, 2013, 06:26 PM
EternalNewb tfkrocks - I got my boots and I'm very happy with my choice. These boots are very comfortable, easy to put on and I'm loving the speed lace system. I can't roll my ankle in these things if I tried, its got great lateral protection. The toe box is hard enough that you don't have to worry about your toes getting broken, for the most part. As for the "break-in" period, that's practically non-existent because as soon as you take them out of the box and put them on your feet, you're good to go. I can't stress enough, how comfortable these things are. I know it's Dainese and it's my first product from them, but I'm really impressed and it's money well spent.

Here's a couple of pics:

http://i48.tinypic.com/zxaeep.jpg

http://i49.tinypic.com/xyez4.jpg

http://i46.tinypic.com/eecuh.jpg

tfkrocks
February 12th, 2013, 06:47 PM
They look great! Glad you found boots that work for you :thumbup:

LoneRonin
February 12th, 2013, 07:22 PM
Those Dainese are awesome...they'll likely be my next track boots if I don't drop a grand on Daytonas.

EternalNewb
February 12th, 2013, 07:38 PM
Sweet! I'm so glad you like them! They look great.