View Full Version : Removing Chain Guard/Hugger

tnr4
November 19th, 2012, 07:26 AM
Hi folks,

So I was dropping my suspension back down a notch (5 was a bit much for commuting!), which most of you know requires taking off the chain guard and tire hugger piece. After doing this, I realize that I like the way it looks without this piece so much better (cheap looking plastic). So my question: is there a good reason that I'm not thinking of to leave it on?

My guess is that they both protect the underbody from spray when riding in wet conditions and such, and that the chain guard keeps lube/wax fling off the body as well. But I never ride with wet wax, so fling isn't an issue, and I always wash the bike after riding in the rain because the hugger doesn't do much anyway. Am I missing anything? I'm pretty sure I gained like 5HP with the chain guard delete mod. :D

Motofool
November 19th, 2012, 07:42 AM
Chain guard protects the chain from mud and debris thrown down by the rear wheel.
The lubricant is leaving the chain only where the chain goes around the sprockets (due to centrifugal force).

The huger also protects the rod (stem) and seals of the shock absorber form being damaged by mud and debris.

csmith12
November 19th, 2012, 08:36 AM
It's a trade off. Clean vs. looks.

I personally like the chain guard on with a black chain. But if you have a custom colored chain and sprocks it looks great without it imho.

alex.s
November 19th, 2012, 09:11 AM
some people pay extra to have a chain gaurd and rear tire hugger

tnr4
November 19th, 2012, 12:44 PM
Interesting. Well, my dumb *ss made a temporary choice for me as I lost one of the bolts holding the chain guard on, lol. So I guess I'll be without it until I can get to the hardware store anyway. But I do think she looks nice and clean without!

geeker
November 19th, 2012, 02:09 PM
Interesting. Well, my dumb *ss made a temporary choice for me as I lost one of the bolts holding the chain guard on, lol.

And the truth shall set you free! :thumbup: Bolts are cheap. I'd put it back on.