View Full Version : Random electronics project, and pics...

noche_caliente
January 15th, 2009, 09:26 PM
So I've been working on a random electronics project for work, and I had to take some pics for documentation in the process. I actually got to solder for the first time, and was rather proud of my success. All of my joints are holding nicely! I'll practice some more tomorrow since I have the day off.

In the process of all of this electronics work, I've been heading towards making another mothership beacon like Vex's, and investigating different lighting solutions for my bike. Part of that included pulling the turn signal bulbs to figure out what on earth they are. I plan to try and replace them with LEDs, but using the stock housing if at all possible.

While taking pics of the bulbs so I could see what on earth they said on the base, I got this really neat pics and thought I'd share - it just made me smile for some reason.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_DQskVeNT-_s/SW_9iRA46_I/AAAAAAAAAJU/eUJVGCGRl0g/s400/100_4882.JPG

kazam58
January 15th, 2009, 09:31 PM
ooh. I'm definitely going to be keeping tabs on this documentation, so you better keep it up to date! :D
And yes, soldering is a bit of an art, but not too hard to master. I have to solder little decoders (electronic chips) into N scale model loco's for my job, those things are tiny! And then I come home and solder 12awg wire to electric motors for my own hobby, I'm always having a blast with soldering irons...
P.S. Watch out, they burn you when you least expect it ;)

VeX
January 15th, 2009, 10:18 PM
:doh: I totally forgot to get back to you. Check eBay as there's a seller I've been buying LED's through. They're really good deals and most include the resistors. Then when you buy wiring I'd suggest to try to find the stranded wires and NOT solid wires. The solid wires are hard to flex and I just don't like them (good enough excuse?).

If you match one LED to one resistor then you don't have to do any figuring later and don't have to worry about losing a string of LED's if one goes out.

HKr1
January 16th, 2009, 09:37 PM
So whats the "random electronic project" you made for work?

camaroz1985
January 17th, 2009, 02:37 PM
ooh. I'm definitely going to be keeping tabs on this documentation, so you better keep it up to date! :D
And yes, soldering is a bit of an art, but not too hard to master. I have to solder little decoders (electronic chips) into N scale model loco's for my job, those things are tiny! And then I come home and solder 12awg wire to electric motors for my own hobby, I'm always having a blast with soldering irons...
P.S. Watch out, they burn you when you least expect it ;)

Soldering irons, I'm sick of them :D Spent 3 weeks or so over the summer merging wiring harnesses for a motor swap in my car, and I'm not anxious to see another one for a while (that's why I'm doing it all again in the spring haha)

Anyways, what is this special project?

HKr1
January 18th, 2009, 07:24 PM
Anyways, what is this special project?

Shes not talking! It must be "top secret"

NJD022588
January 18th, 2009, 08:53 PM
I've been heading towards making another mothership beacon like Vex's

I think this is the project... LOTS of LEDs.

noche_caliente
January 18th, 2009, 09:42 PM
Kerry's right - it's top secret - though there are LEDs involved, they're not the ones for the bike... if I said anymore, I'd have to hunt you all down and kill you.... ;)