View Full Version : Got a big dome piece too?

mariorivera830
November 22nd, 2012, 03:19 AM
I have to buy my helmets in XXL size, partly because I have a huge head, and partly because I have really thick, long hair. HJC is the only brand that I have found (in my short research at Chapparal) that fits and is still DOT and Snell rated.

Here is one I ordered that I liked: http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/sport/motorcycle+helmets/hjc_cl-sp+osiris+helmet

Does anyone else have my dilemma and have any suggestions for another brand/type of helmet that works and is still DOT and snell approved for my size?

adouglas
November 22nd, 2012, 05:59 AM
http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/extra-large-motorcycle-helmets.htm

8307c4
November 22nd, 2012, 07:29 AM
I ordered a L size from ebay and find it to be a bit snug, it's just large enough for me to still wear the face mask but I can't put goggles on, which with a full helmet you don't need but I did find that in the future I'll be "guessing" on the large end of sizes when purchasing helmets.

This is the one I got:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-Full-Face-Sports-Bike-Helmet-Black-RACE-FLAG-Street-DOT-Size-L-Large-/280739034466

Alex
November 22nd, 2012, 07:57 AM
Shoei and Arai make comfy helmets up to the XXXL size. The Shoei RF1100 is quite nice for those with mongo melons, as is the Arai Signet-Q.

CZroe
November 22nd, 2012, 08:02 AM
I always make my own with Papier-mâché and cut-up milk jugs. PERFECT FIT! Because I paint them myself I can give them any rating I want. :thumbup:

CC Cowboy
November 22nd, 2012, 08:31 AM
I have to buy my helmets in XXL size, partly because I have a huge head, and partly because I have really thick, long hair. HJC is the only brand that I have found (in my short research at Chapparal) that fits and is still DOT and Snell rated.

Here is one I ordered that I liked: http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/sport/motorcycle+helmets/hjc_cl-sp+osiris+helmet

Does anyone else have my dilemma and have any suggestions for another brand/type of helmet that works and is still DOT and snell approved for my size?

Hey Big Foot, helmets are for pussies! Just kidding. You need a helmet because if you chase we don't want you to dent the asphalt.

8307c4
November 22nd, 2012, 09:28 AM
I always make my own with Papier-mâché and cut-up milk jugs. PERFECT FIT! Because I paint them myself I can give them any rating I want. :thumbup:

I'm not sure if you're making fun of helmets that didn't cost $200 like yours did, or if you're some rebel who doesn't care for his own or anyone else's safety... But just because being a motorcycle rider makes you an automatic organ donor doesn't mean you can behave in ways that accelerate human demise.

To be DOT approved a helmet must conform to the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) No. 218 (49 CFR Sec. 571.218) concerning Motorcycle Helmets. The manufacturer can certify, but the government has the ultimate say and authority in the matter. If you get pulled over with a non-approved helmet you will not only be issued a citation but the officer may well insist on having your vehicle towed, you will not be allowed to ride it again until you are wearing an approved helmet and you may have to find a ride home, then you better hope they don't impound your bike too!

You can download the .pdf below.

Thank you.

CZroe
November 22nd, 2012, 11:05 AM
I'm not sure if you're making fun of helmets that didn't cost $200 like yours did, or if you're some rebel who doesn't care for his own or anyone else's safety... But just because being a motorcycle rider makes you an automatic organ donor doesn't mean you can behave in ways that accelerate human demise.

To be DOT approved a helmet must conform to the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) No. 218 (49 CFR Sec. 571.218) concerning Motorcycle Helmets. The manufacturer can certify, but the government has the ultimate say and authority in the matter. If you get pulled over with a non-approved helmet you will not only be issued a citation but the officer may well insist on having your vehicle towed, you will not be allowed to ride it again until you are wearing an approved helmet and you may have to find a ride home, then you better hope they don't impound your bike too!

Thank you.
Years ago I paid $120 for a Snell/DOT GMAX 55S but the fit was bad (too large) so I paid $140 for a Snell/DOT Scorpion EXO1000 with AirFit ($99 color was out of stock).

Fit is important. Mine didn't cost $200 either. :thumbup:

mariorivera830
November 23rd, 2012, 12:58 AM
Thanks guys for your input, I was just wondering if there were any others that were DOT and snell approved. With this thick ass hair, its tough to find a helmet that fits well enough to be comfortable but tight enough too.

I've been growing my hair out for about two years now, at first it was just because I didn't want to have to go to my barber a few towns over. But then it became a like for my wife and she has the final say as to when it's cut. And when I do cut it, I'm donating it to that locks of love foundation. Apparently they collect hair and make hair pieces for children with cancer/leukemia and stuff like that.

.....and I'm not bigfoot.... that's my sister. :D

ShadowStalk3r
November 23rd, 2012, 03:11 AM

Thank you.

Did you know that DOT runs testing on an honours system?

Alex
November 23rd, 2012, 09:41 AM
With this thick ass hair, its tough to find a helmet that fits well enough to be comfortable but tight enough too.

http://www.roccosbarbershop.com/barber_1.jpg

:thumbup:

5evenz
November 23rd, 2012, 10:40 AM
true... gotta love the bush but some people think marco simoncelli's helmet had a greater chance of coming off his head or not protecting him fully because of his giant bushy hair...

himynameisjoe
November 23rd, 2012, 11:26 AM
Damn... I have a big head and I wear a small(I've tried on Arai's, Shoei's, HJC and skoripion)... Are you guys sure your helmets are fitting properly? lol

csmith12
November 23rd, 2012, 02:47 PM
true... gotta love the bush

http://www.teamswift.net/images/smilies/werd.gif

oh... wait... what are we talking about again?