View Full Version : Google custom search.

Mountain Dew
November 23rd, 2012, 01:27 AM
From my experience with other forums that have a Google Custom Search, as well as my experience with the crappy search function here, I'd like to suggest it being implemented here.

Alex
November 23rd, 2012, 09:23 AM
Unlikely to happen. It works great for areas that are completely open, but any of the forum areas that require a log-in remain invisible to Google search results.

Alex
November 23rd, 2012, 02:37 PM
Alright, I changed my mind. :) It's now an additional option under the search pull-down. The results should be better than going to google directly, as the custom search hides duplicate results from the Archive area. Also - there is no minimum time restriction between searches, unlike the built-in VB search. But - any threads from the protected forums here that require a login, will still not show up in the google-provided results.

Jiggles
November 23rd, 2012, 06:53 PM
Omg, u mean I don't have to use google to find what I'm looking for anymore!?!?!?

Alex
November 23rd, 2012, 08:31 PM
No, you don't. :)

Alex
November 23rd, 2012, 09:55 PM
I just changed some links so the guests who aren't logged into the site only see the Google search. Before, they had to go though some silly CAPTCHA stuff to enter in a search request, to keep the server from getting hammered by bots. Now if they want to hammer the google servers, have at it. It should also bring in some additional ad revenue.

Thanks for the nudge, folks. :thumbup:

psych0hans
November 23rd, 2012, 11:50 PM
I just changed some links so the guests who aren't logged into the site only see the Google search. Before, they had to go though some silly CAPTCHA stuff to enter in a search request, to keep the server from getting hammered by bots. Now if they want to hammer the google servers, have at it. It should also bring in some additional ad revenue.

Thanks for the nudge, folks. :thumbup:

:D good job!!! :thumbup:

Mountain Dew
November 24th, 2012, 01:44 PM
Nice :D

ChaoSS
November 25th, 2012, 01:51 AM
Thanks for keeping the regular search too, I may be unique but I much prefer the VB search to the google forum search.

Alex
March 20th, 2013, 12:46 PM
Thanks for keeping the regular search too, I may be unique but I much prefer the VB search to the google forum search.

I generally prefer the VB search as well, when I can limit the search to a particular user or a particular subforum.