View Full Version : Picking up a dropped bike

zartan
January 6th, 2009, 12:51 AM
I hope I never have to do this with my Ninjette.

also better to have a buddy help, but if alone...

This is a good vid. showing the back side of the lifter. If you have something better please post. Put the kick stand down before lifting when the bike is down on the right side.

k4MPyX0QCYw

BlueTyke
January 6th, 2009, 09:34 AM
Thanks for posting that one!

I have had to use the back up right method before :)

TheDuck
January 6th, 2009, 01:44 PM
I would have laughed if the kickstand wasn't down when she got it up over the top.... :D

Now, how to pick up a bike that fell ON you and knocked you into a row of hedges?

BlueTyke
January 6th, 2009, 02:04 PM
This one time... (at band camp...just kidding)

I lived with my aunt and uncle. I kept Tyke on the side of the house because there was no room in the garage for her. Their back gate had a path way that formed an L (Imagine at the short end of the bottom is the drive way the top leads into the back yard) Well it was late one day after a ride and I had thought I had the manuvering for the bike to get put away down but... Well while I was working to get her past the sharp 90 degree turn she slipped from my grasp and fell over missing the corner of the house by inches... There was no way I was going to fit between the house and Tyke. I tried to get her up by all other means but it didn't work. Finally I had to go get my uncle to help me lift her up.. Man was that a bit embarassing...

TheDuck
January 6th, 2009, 02:33 PM
Man was that a bit embarassing...

I got you beat, lol. I had a 1982 Honda CB450 that thing is a TANK! HEAVY SLUG! They come in around 400lbs.

Anwyays, I parked in front of a diner where my friends were at. At the very end of the parking rows there was a spot big enough for a bike, but not a car. Since all the spots were full, this is where I was going.

This Honda of mine had a kickstand that was extremely glitchy. You had to MAKE SURE that thing was KICKED HARD to be ALL THE WAY FORWARD before leaning the bike over. I leaned to the left after I thought the stand was down all the way, and :: BLOOP! :: there I was with my left leg under the bike, my right leg straight up in the air and my entire upper body in the row of hedges.

I through the hedges in my face I could see ALL the people seated in the diner looking at me and pointing and laughing.

It was quite a struggle getting that bike off of me, I was a just a little skinny dude at that time! Nobody came to help either, I was wriggling around about 15 mins before I could get out from the bushes and out from under the bike so that I could even start to pick it up, lol.

BlueTyke
January 6th, 2009, 02:44 PM
Oh my. That is certainly worse. That sucks that no one helped either

zartan
January 6th, 2009, 10:33 PM
I would have laughed if the kickstand wasn't down when she got it up over the top....
that would probably not be so funny. :( a big dinged up bike now on the other side.

I can't believe no one helped you out of the hedges. that sucked.

Kurosaki
January 7th, 2009, 10:31 AM
Luckily for us, the 250 was given a pretty good low carb (see what I did there?) diet. It's pretty easy to get back up compared to some other bikes I've seen people struggle with.

Strider
January 7th, 2009, 08:36 PM
Only had to lift once (so far!)
I recommend this lift to all my friends
This is a good video for newbies to see too, thanks for posting it zartan :)

travis5018
January 11th, 2009, 09:14 PM
I've had to pick mine up twice, I just grabbed the handlebars and picked it up, it seemed pretty easy

Rynownd
March 9th, 2009, 02:06 PM
FYI, that video is no longer available... the preview picture is pretty self-explanitory though

HKr1
March 9th, 2009, 03:31 PM
Wife was sitting on hers the other day(in garage), I put the kick stand up..... she didnt notice :rolleyes: Came close to dropping it......... she saved the day :)

Dropped the R1 in the garage long time ago. Wholly crap, what a bitch picking that up :( < you just have to get :mad:

zartan
March 9th, 2009, 03:41 PM
FYI, that video is no longer available... the preview picture is pretty self-explanitory though

hmm. sorry but it plays fine for me now...???

Motofool
November 27th, 2012, 06:35 AM
http://www.pinkribbonrides.com/dropped.html

csmith12
November 27th, 2012, 06:36 AM
There was a video of that technique linked up about a year or so ago. I will see if I can find it.

csmith12
November 27th, 2012, 06:39 AM
k4MPyX0QCYw[/QUOTE]

Sticky in the riding skills section.

Alex
November 27th, 2012, 06:45 AM
/merged :thumbup:

kxpower?
November 29th, 2012, 04:46 PM
k4MPyX0QCYw

Just a side note, the lady teaching that at a rally I went to (when I was like 16) recommended to the women to use a hair tie to hold the front brake lever on, just so it doesn't take off rolling once it's upright.

AngryBirdz
December 25th, 2012, 09:21 PM
I hope I never have to do this with my Ninjette.

also better to have a buddy help, but if alone...

This is a good vid. showing the back side of the lifter. If you have something better please post. Put the kick stand down before lifting when the bike is down on the right side.

k4MPyX0QCYw

I pushed my ninja up using the front of my body and my arms after a kickstand incident. Put one hand on the handle bar and the other on the seat. Once it was tilted up I kicked the kickstand down and MADE SURE it was down this time. Then set the bike down. Have never tried it using my back and hope I never drop a bike again lol...but if I see someone with a tipped bike in need of help I'll definitely try this out.

lgk
December 28th, 2012, 04:04 PM
I pushed my ninja up using the front of my body and my arms after a kickstand incident. Put one hand on the handle bar and the other on the seat. Once it was tilted up I kicked the kickstand down and MADE SURE it was down this time. Then set the bike down. Have never tried it using my back and hope I never drop a bike again lol...but if I see someone with a tipped bike in need of help I'll definitely try this out.

having done both,
i'll say the technique she shows is much easier.

plus your back wont get pulled from being hunched over.

Miles_Prower
January 18th, 2013, 01:20 PM
a while ago i super slowly laid mine down in my parking lot (kickstand bounced back up or something). I tried this but held the wrong handle bar and just couldn't get it standing back up. Solution? Call my extremely jacked neighbor, and he picked it up for me HAHA!