View Full Version : NC Ninja

eulark
November 27th, 2012, 12:31 PM
Hey guys,

So i just discovered this website after owning a ninja for the past 8 months.

Background, I bought a 2003 Blue 250 for $1000 with 1200 original miles. Rode the heck out of it and at around 8000 miles i downshifted on accident at 10,000 rpms and blew a rod bearing. So im here to partake in the vast amounts of knowledge in this forum and hope for the best as i fix the bike. Unless of course someone has a running motor from a wrecked bike in which case I'll buy the motor and rebuild the other at my leisure.

Pic
http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r40/mormonav/420410_3478825651603_1186919165_n.jpg

Yes a week after this pic the back tire blew while i was riding at about 60mph. Was sure when i heard the pop that i was going to become heirless. haha.

Later:cool:

Madman44
November 27th, 2012, 12:44 PM
Welcome. So you accidentally kicked the shifter down while riding and broke your bearing? And maybe I'm wrong, bit it probably isn't a good idea to ride on wheels that have been burnt out on:P

eulark
November 27th, 2012, 01:06 PM
yeah, i was coming up to a light and so i let off the throttle at the same time i shifted in my seat to get more comfortable and my foot slipped and pushed the lever down. Stupidest thing i had done up to that point i think. Next thing i know, the motor sounds terrible and then cuts off. Now a guy has the motor apart and the rod has a good few cm of play.

Just out of curiosity, are there any recommended resellers of ninja 250 motors?

Oh and i was planning on a new back tire anyways at that point but i wasnt expecting the blow out a week later. You live and learn. Wont make that mistake again. haha

Madman44
November 27th, 2012, 04:41 PM
Man, that blows. I'll be extra careful from now on whenever I readjust my 'furniture'.
And craigslist would be the first place I'd look for a motor. I've seen a few pre-gen's being parted out here and there, but not too many. Goodluck:/

csmith12
November 27th, 2012, 04:44 PM
Welcome Cody! Good luck with your engine.

himynameisjoe
November 27th, 2012, 04:45 PM
Wow... that sucks mate! Hopefully you get all of this sorted by spring/summer! Welcome though!

BFisher244
November 27th, 2012, 05:16 PM
Welcome. Is that your riding gear in the pic?

himynameisjoe
November 27th, 2012, 05:19 PM
http://seawifs.gsfc.nasa.gov/OCEAN_PLANET/IMAGES/I-2000.gif

?? lol

eulark
November 27th, 2012, 06:49 PM
haha no i have a scorpion evo jacket and also a leather jacket. Also over the ankle boots and leather gloves. I just wanted some high quality pics real quick that day.

eulark
November 27th, 2012, 06:55 PM
do i look like a squid? lol.

I just saw that picture.

GearMonkey
November 27th, 2012, 09:14 PM
:welcome:

himynameisjoe
November 27th, 2012, 09:34 PM
do i look like a squid? lol.

I just saw that picture.

Nah just joking because he asked about the gear :p haha

KJohnson21
November 29th, 2012, 10:16 PM
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=62&pictureid=1195

eulark
November 30th, 2012, 06:50 AM
whooo. I believe my newbieness is showing. haha. Nope. Not a squid, defintely am always wearing gear haha.

Thanks for the warm welcome guys.

Snake
December 1st, 2012, 08:52 PM
Hello and welcome.

Old Guy on a '08
December 3rd, 2012, 08:52 AM
Cody,

There's another new Ninjetter in Wilmington... you need to seek him out.

Get the bike fixed and come up to the hills to ride some twisties... :thumbup:

eulark
December 3rd, 2012, 08:55 AM
I'll look for him. And i defintely want to hhit some twisties. There is only one road nearby that is any good. Luckily the gf's parents live in asheville so dragon's tail is always an option. For he ninja or the miata haha.

What was the name of the other wilmywood guy?

Old Guy on a '08
December 3rd, 2012, 10:47 AM
And i defintely want to hhit some twisties. ... Luckily the gf's parents live in asheville so dragon's tail is always an option. For the ninja or the miata:eek: haha.

Coming through Charlotte??? Hit me up. Always looking to meet new sport bikers.

What was the name of the other wilmywood guy?

Look back through the new members forum. Wasn't too long ago...

eulark
December 3rd, 2012, 11:53 AM
I'm not expecting the ninja to be up and running very soon, but when i do i'm heading cross state and i'll give you a heads up.

I was actually in Charlotte for part of this past summer. I got carried away with enthusiasm and thought that door to door sales would be a great easy way to earn money. Finished with that pretty quick. haha. Even got thrown out of Mathews. Oh well.

When i go through charlotte i'll give you a heads up and see if we cant get something together.

Old Guy on a '08
December 3rd, 2012, 11:05 PM
I got carried away with enthusiasm and thought that door to door sales would be a great easy way to earn money. Even got thrown out of Mathews. Oh well. :rotflmao:
Yeah... that's no easy row to hoe...

When i go through charlotte i'll give you a heads up and see if we cant get something together.

Look forward to it.

I'm heading up to the hills tomorrow. Going ride some of those great NC Mountain Roads. Ever heard of The Diamondback - NC-226A (http://www.diamondbacknc.com/) or The Devils Whip - NC-80 (http://www.thedevilnc80.com/). Great Roads up there!

eulark
December 4th, 2012, 01:57 PM
Yeah, the old guy that called the cops called me a terrorist and a vandal. All because i saw he had a bad ant infestation and stepped on his lawn wrong. Oh well...:rolleyes:

I am going to have to check out those roads. I'm really itching to get the miata up there since i cant take the ninja right now. haha.

Do you guys ever do a beach ride?

Old Guy on a '08
December 4th, 2012, 09:36 PM
Yeah, the old guy that called the cops called me a terrorist and a vandal.

EASY!!!! Someone might think your talking about me... lol

I am going to have to check out those roads. I'm really itching to get the miata :eek: There it is again up there since i cant take the ninja right now. haha.

Miata, piata, let's call the whole thing off..
Actually I'm jealous. Been trying to tqalk the wife into getting a Miata as her daily commuter... no luck so far.

Do you guys ever do a beach ride?

What, instead of the twisties... ah.... maybe.... occasionally.... in the fall when there are any peeps out on the beach. I've got a number of friends in Wilmington and was down there last month on the Ninja. And sometimes I go to North Myrtle... Wife's sis has a condo off 17 on a golf course. I'll let you know when I plan to return...

eulark
December 5th, 2012, 07:28 AM
Haha I dont think you are crabby enough to be him.

And forget getting it for the wife, get one for you. They are way fun regardless of the stigma they have haha. Kinda like the 250 stigma that says they are too small to be fun. We all know thats not true.

Old Guy on a '08
December 5th, 2012, 08:04 PM
three things keep me from getting some type of sports car... the miata being near the top of the list.
1. Purchase
2. Insurance
3. Taxes

OH... one reason - money. That's why it being for the wife as her daily driver works... if I can convince her...:thumbup:

eulark
December 7th, 2012, 07:41 AM
Meh, older miatas are cheap and reliable plus fun and low cost of ownership. Granted mine is a 1990 but i paid 1000 for it with 85k on the odometer. The taxes are like 25 a year and insurance for liability only costs me about 300 every six months for the miata and ninja together. Maintenance costs are low. Especially if you do the work yourself. Lots of fun. Kinda like the ninja on four wheels. Its the go-cart ninja that Kawasaki never made.:thumbup:

Old Guy on a '08
December 7th, 2012, 11:35 AM
Meh, older miatas are cheap and reliable plus fun and low cost of ownership. Granted mine is a 1990 but i paid 1000 for it with 85k on the odometer. The taxes are like 25 a year and insurance for liability only costs me about 300 every six months for the miata and ninja together. Maintenance costs are low. Especially if you do the work yourself. Lots of fun. Kinda like the ninja on four wheels. Its the go-cart ninja that Kawasaki never made.:thumbup:

Next year will see a change in my economic situation (for the better) and I'll be looking for something fun with four wheels... Miata, GTI (I had one of the first years models - :happy100:. Really :love: that buggy.), Mini Cooper or something similar. Getting the wife to climb on board would be better... get a little newer model and get rid of the MomVan... Better Gas mileage (what's your Miata get?) and be available for me on those days when it makes sense.:thumbup:

eulark
December 7th, 2012, 02:00 PM
Gas mileage depends on how lead footed you are. I drive it like a roadster should be so i get around 20 highway, 17 city. If however you dont drive it like you stole it, you can get up to 23 or 24 mpg city. and thats just the 1990 model. the newer you go, the better it gets, granted its almost on a car by car basis at times. Lots of fun four wheeled vehicles out there, but i prefer the open top cage style personally. Although i hope to get into a rx8 or mazda6 eventually as college ends and practicality becomes a necessity and the two wheeled beast isnt going anywhere.

I would suggest test driving the three generations of miatas though. The first and second are very similar under the sheetmetal and are more spartan. The newest (3rd) gen is based on the rx8 chassis which is one of the best out there, but its also built a lot more for creature comforts and removes you from the road more than its older counterparts.

Old Guy on a '08
December 7th, 2012, 02:28 PM
Thanks for the insite. I've got a friend that's got three of them (or is it four)
The GTI was a little more frugal than that. We could push close to 35 on a highway trip... :D. Think the Miata cam out like the year (or two) after the GTI. They are sweet.