View Full Version : Zip code for registration?

Arbatrix
December 8th, 2012, 07:49 PM
Hi there!

New member of the community, as you can probably tell from my non-existant post-count. :thumbup: Anyways, just a quick suggestion...

Since you have the member map feature now, why not get rid of the zip code requirement for registering to the site? I mean, zip codes don't always use the five digit format that you Americans do. For example, being Canadian, my X0X 0X0 format wasn't accepted. :(

In my opinion, it's more of a hassle than a benefit. Sure, keep the zip code for ease of finding others in your area, but don't make it mandatory!

Edit: My "current" zip code is that of the Pentagon... It was just the first thing that came to mind when I googled for potential zip codes. So no, I don't actually live in the Pentagon........ <_<

rojoracing53
December 8th, 2012, 08:20 PM
Hi there!

New member of the community, as you can probably tell from my non-existant post-count. :thumbup: Anyways, just a quick suggestion...

Since you have the member map feature now, why not get rid of the zip code requirement for registering to the site? I mean, zip codes don't always use the five digit format that you Americans do. For example, being Canadian, my X0X 0X0 format wasn't accepted. :(

In my opinion, it's more of a hassle than a benefit. Sure, keep the zip code for ease of finding others in your area, but don't make it mandatory!

Edit: My "current" zip code is that of the Pentagon... It was just the first thing that came to mind when I googled for potential zip codes. So no, I don't actually live in the Pentagon........ <_<

I think you'll fit in here just fine Mr chief of staff.

Alex
December 9th, 2012, 12:28 AM
More people end up using the zipcode field, than who voluntarily place themselves on the member map. The field should accept any type of numbers at this point, it used to be limited to 5 numbers, but as you mention, other locations use different formats.

NinjetteNewfie
December 9th, 2012, 05:22 AM
Had same problem when I registered, Canadian postal code has six characters, so I came up with the very original zipcode of 12345:p No idea where that would be.