View Full Version : help me analyze please

OCMagnum
December 16th, 2012, 04:18 PM
So today is pretty grey day here in Orange County, with almost constant drizzle. Nothing bad, no real standing water, but enough to get everything moist. Did stuff with the family this morning, but after lunch the "call of the ride" became too strong and I decided to go for a quick 25 miles ride.

Tried my best to stay of paint, steel plates etc and took corners a bit more timid than usual. Still managed to have a small moment and would appreciate your thoughts on what I did right and what I did wrong.

Coming up to a 90 degree turn with no dedicated turning lane. Light is green and traffic going at 55 mph, so I had to get into the bike lane to initiate the turn and it therefore becomes a fairly tight turn. I slowed down to about 15 mph in second gear and take the turn. Now there is a bunch of lines, including a crosswalk at that corner and probably on one of them the rear started stepping out for a second or two. Stayed loose on the bars and kept steady throttle and the spook was over very quickly.

I'm thinking that I still might have had a tad bit lean angle? Don't think speed was a big issue as I would have been max at 20 mph at that time. Any other reason the rear might have gotten loose? FYI I am on stock tires with 6000 miles but still looking good.

So my thinking is:

Bad: too much lean angle
Good: stayed loose and did not wack the throttle

I would appreciate any thoughts that will allow me to learn from this.

Cheers! :thumbup:

allanoue
December 16th, 2012, 04:30 PM
If you were in a car, what would you have done? Outside line of that.

Joshorilla
December 16th, 2012, 04:46 PM
You simply didn't have enough grip / friction for that particular area of road given at your given speed / lean angle, the only solution would have been to give it less speed and less lean angle, obviously you regained enough grip as to regain control which is good.

Things you could do:

Slow down "as a result you would be leaning less"
Upgrade tyres for better grip for given conditions - "unnecessary"
Upgrade suspension for better road contact - "unnecessary"

To sum up, take it slower.

rojoracing53
December 16th, 2012, 06:19 PM
Don't think of lean angle as a process, think of it as a result. Lean angle is the result of speed(mph)-corner radius-body position. If your going to fast for the reduced radius you created by moving into the bike lane then your simply going to fast end of story. Now your options are to ether go slower so your lean angle is reduced and traction is less limited. The other option would be to take a later apex with the higher speed so you have to bike lifted back up by the time you hit the paint, but you'd be one of those asshats that doesn't move over to turn so its your choice in the end.

Bravo for understanding the impending dangers of wet paint lines and preparing for the slide so you could remain cool and composed with a balance grip and riding position.

Motofool
December 16th, 2012, 07:30 PM
......So my thinking is:

Bad: too much lean angle
Good: stayed loose and did not wack the throttle

I would appreciate any thoughts that will allow me to learn from this.

Bad: Riding after just a drizzle.

Not enough rain just makes a very slippery mess, because all the dirt and oil in the crevices of the pavement is lifted up to form a real lubricant that reaches your rubber.

Each turn generates lateral forces on both contact patches.

Those lateral forces depend on the square of the speed and on the inverse of the radius.

The only effective way to reduce the magnitude of those forces below the limit of grip in such slippery conditions is to reduce the speed at which the bike negotiates that turn and to moderate the rate of acceleration (twist of the throttle).

You did good saving a bad situation, but you would have done better staying at home that drizzly afternoon. :)

OCMagnum
December 16th, 2012, 08:18 PM
Don't think of lean angle as a process, think of it as a result. Lean angle is the result of speed(mph)-corner radius-body position. If your going to fast for the reduced radius you created by moving into the bike lane then your simply going to fast end of story. Now your options are to ether go slower so your lean angle is reduced and traction is less limited. The other option would be to take a later apex with the higher speed so you have to bike lifted back up by the time you hit the paint, but you'd be one of those asshats that doesn't move over to turn so its your choice in the end.

Bravo for understanding the impending dangers of wet paint lines and preparing for the slide so you could remain cool and composed with a balance grip and riding position.

A lot of good points.

Thanks to all!

OCMagnum
December 17th, 2012, 09:41 AM
If you were in a car, what would you have done? Outside line of that.

Al,

Interesting quesiton and I am not sure I have an answer for it. I would have been in the bike lane as well and would have likely taken the turn at a very similar speed.

Can you elaborate what you were getting at?

Thanks!

dfox
December 17th, 2012, 10:13 AM
seems like speed and water were the issues. Paint is always slippery.

i come across a similar intersection on my daily ride, except it's a 40 mph road, not 55.

On wet days, I move right and take the turn very slow. I aim to avoid the paint.

On dry days, I stay wide, and take the turn faster. This makes me more comfortable all around. I just make sure I tap the brakes and put on the signal a little early to warn the person I'm turning.

And i don't know about you guys, but I typically take turns much faster in a car, because I can control a bit of slip, unlike on the bike. Then again, I do have a high hp awd car and can typically power out of slides. But for me, I can't take turns on my bike anywhere near the same speed as I can in my car. If I were to start judging my motorcycle turns based on my car turns, I'd end up in a low side very quickly.

csmith12
December 17th, 2012, 10:18 AM
We all should know that a well set up car can out-corner a bike. I think Jason's comments make the most sense. Apex early/late as needed to avoid lean and/or the paint (anything else) all together. Smooth throttle roll at whatever speed you feel comfortable and light on the bars.

You could also plan your route ahead of time to avoid trouble areas before they are problem that need be dealt with.

Ride smart, ride safe and well done!

allanoue
December 17th, 2012, 10:36 AM
Al,

Interesting question and I am not sure I have an answer for it. I would have been in the bike lane as well and would have likely taken the turn at a very similar speed.

Can you elaborate what you were getting at?

Thanks!

My point is, in the rain you need to be safe and considerate but safe. Go slow when it's wet and take wide turns. Most cagers will understand.

Sirref
December 17th, 2012, 10:38 AM
seems like speed and water were the issues. Paint is always slippery.
And i don't know about you guys, but I typically take turns much faster in a car, because I can control a bit of slip, unlike on the bike. Then again, I do have a high hp awd car and can typically power out of slides. But for me, I can't take turns on my bike anywhere near the same speed as I can in my car. If I were to start judging my motorcycle turns based on my car turns, I'd end up in a low side very quickly.

yea it's not just you, i find that motorcycle grip is far less than car grip (makes sense with the difference in contact patch sizes (and the fact that cars have 4 contact patches rather than two)
that's how i ended up with my first lowside on my bike the other day, since i'm still creating references in speed when it comes to cornering on my bike vs in my car

and ofc even touching paint on wet roads sucks for traction

OCMagnum
December 17th, 2012, 11:28 AM
My point is, in the rain you need to be safe and considerate but safe. Go slow when it's wet and take wide turns. Most cagers will understand.

Got it; thanks for elaborating Al!

Nemesis
December 17th, 2012, 12:17 PM
Road conditions...among listed but most of all former. ;)