View Full Version : Michigan rider

UPnorth
January 17th, 2009, 03:11 PM
Summer rider that is! Not too many miles being put on right now, lots of snow and three days in a row this week at -25F, -35F and -32F.

Anyway, got an invite from "kkim", who has NO such problems! LOL

Looking forward to reading and learning. I'm more of a lurker than a poster.

Regards to all.

Alex
January 17th, 2009, 03:11 PM
:welcome:

kkim
January 17th, 2009, 04:23 PM
Aloha and welcome, Doug!

Glad you decided to join us. I see you have an XT250. How is that thing? I have a street legal CRF230F and am always looking for the perfect D/S bike. :) My use is 20/80 street/dirt.

mahalo
:)

UPnorth
January 17th, 2009, 04:43 PM
Aloha and welcome, Doug!

Glad you decided to join us. I see you have an XT250. How is that thing? I have a street legal CRF230F and am always looking for the perfect D/S bike. :) My use is 20/80 street/dirt.

mahalo
:)

The XT is a good bike it seems. I like its smooth shifts and decent grunt, but the top end is only maybe 65-70? It really is revving at that point. But that's not really what it was made to do.

It gets me about 70mpg when I commute each day. Very light and flickable, which is kind of fun.

I don't consider it to be good in the dirt/gravel/sand, but I took it through some pretty nasty clay a few times and was fairly impressed.

kkim
January 17th, 2009, 04:57 PM
Thanks. I had heard it was decent on the street and made a good DS bike, though I'm looking more for a street legal dirt bike as the trails here are quite tight and technical. That and I'm rather short, need a bike that's relatively easy to touch the ground with. I've installed a shortening link to the bike to help with the inevitable get off and push portion of the trail ride. Lots of mud, water and slick clay to deal with here. The crf is geared so low, I went one up on the CS sprocket to get a decent cruising rpm on the road. You might look into that if you don't do a lot of tight trail riding and can bias your bike's gearing towards the street.

The xt sounds like a perfect play bike for light trail duty, though it seems a bit heavy by the specs. I guess that's the price you pay for a full 250cc's and a full sized bike.

Good to have you on on board. :thumbup:

HKr1
January 17th, 2009, 05:31 PM
Welcome!

I hear its pretty cold up there right now. The wife drove up to Saginaw for a funeral, said it's blizzard today.

noche_caliente
January 17th, 2009, 05:33 PM
welcome!

UPnorth
January 18th, 2009, 09:54 AM
Welcome!

I hear its pretty cold up there right now. The wife drove up to Saginaw for a funeral, said it's blizzard today.

Yep. It "warmed up" to 11 degrees overnight last night. Believe it or not, it actually felt sort of warm. :confused:

There has been a good 5 feetof snow or more this season so far....no motorcycle for a little while. And when I break it out, I will be in full cold weather regalia even to just go down the street!!

KJohnson21
January 18th, 2009, 11:24 AM
:welcome: