View Full Version : Sincere apologies to the northern states

Angel-be-Good
January 18th, 2009, 04:07 AM
http://www.jadedgamefans.com/ninja250blog/media/apologies_panoramas.jpg (http://www.jadedgamefans.com/ninja250blog/media/apologies_panorama.jpg)

If you don't happen to live in the better half of the Left Coast then forgive my boasting, but the weather we've had this past week is unbelievably perfect. Unbelievable in that just weeks ago (http://www.jadedgamefans.com/ninja250blog/?p=166) temperatures were verifiably freezing with reports of snow on familiar routes south of me. Unbelievable because the middle of January is not supposed to bring clear skies, high 60s Fahrenheit and dry, faultless tarmac. Today's ride felt like cheating. I was getting away with something unbelievable, unfair, and intended to make the most of it.

I wasn't alone, as bikers on all sorts came out to play. Nothing told of the true season, weather and traffic reminiscing summer life in staggering contrast to last month's sad void. A common sense of bliss waxed palpable as every rider I crossed seemed thankful for the day. The weather affected even stoic Harley hooligans, who on multiple occasions initiated waves with my candy blue baby (on any other day, I'd typically need to wave first to elicit a response from these bandanna'd bad-asses).

I planned a run of The Loop (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&saddr=CA-1&daddr=37.374795,-122.265472+to:CA-1&hl=en&geocode=FUK3OwIdos-z-A%3B%3BFRyvOwIdYc6z-A&mra=dme&mrcr=0&mrsp=1&sz=12&via=1&sll=37.388981,-122.259979&sspn=0.146483,0.235863&ie=UTF8&ll=37.399074,-122.327957&spn=0.292926,0.471725&z=11) and sooner-than-hoped found myself at the Skywood Trading Post across the street from Alice's. The clock had barely ticked past one-o'clock before I reached the halfway point of my intended ride. To extend my alone time with the bike, I grabbed a drink and browsed the parade of bikes parked in the vicinity. I love the diversity of bikes in the Bay Area, capable of ad-hoc displays like today's STP and Alice's parking lots that shame dealer showrooms.

A sharp-dressed Harley Nightster caught my eye, and a few bikes over, its new brother, the XR1200, was getting a once-over from another admirer. In the opposite lot, a pair of classic-reeking Triumphs found each other, one a pristine new Bonneville, the other a 50-year-old bona fide vintage, seeping character. The owner told me he purposely doesn't wash it because the grime adds to the bike's "mystique," and I'm inclined to agree. I am not a very social creature, but it doesn't take much more than a lusting glance at another bike to extort heart-felt gushing from its owner.

My beverage consumed, I found myself facing the unwanted ride home, like a child reluctantly heeding his mother's call to come in after a day's play. I don't anticipate for some time another day of weather like today's, and knew as much at that moment. So with little guilt, I ignored the make-believe parental plea and ran further south down 35 toward 9.

Motorcyclists aren't the only folks wise to the magic of these mountain roads. The enticing turns lure out the best of the Bay Area's usually depressing automotive collection. Lancer Evolutions and Miatas are a dime a dozen in this setting, and even super cars seem commonplace. Today's ride brought me near a new Exige and a 599 Fiorano, and my decision to venture further south down 35 yielded a game of chase with a bright orange Tesla Roadster bearing manufacturer's plates. A trio of modded Mustangs (marked with garish Koolstangs (http://www.koolstangs.net) decals) shared a popular vista just off 9 as I pulled in for a photo-op. The owners may have confirmed some Top Gear-perpetuated stereotypes, but despite the tasteless stickers I couldn't help but admire the intoxicating V8 burble as the ponies departed.

http://www.jadedgamefans.com/ninja250blog/media/apologies_07s.jpg (http://www.jadedgamefans.com/ninja250blog/media/apologies_07.jpg)

After burning a solid twenty minutes absorbing the scenery of the vista, I felt satisfied to turn home. I did manage to prolong the day with an impromptu lunch in a Montara cafe and a supply stop at the local moto shop (the bike just turned 6,000 miles and wants fresh oil). At half past five I was back in San Francisco, grateful to have spent a January day with my bike.

(More pictures and mapped route on my blog (http://www.jadedgamefans.com/ninja250blog/?p=228).)

Gregular
January 18th, 2009, 09:48 AM
Nice write up. I really enjoyed reading this. For about 5 minutes, I was no longer waiting for my bike and I was with you riding mine sharing the same experience. :thumbup:

Unfortunately with every high there comes a low and I'm now having a reality check and still waiting for my bike LOL

Sounds like you had a real nice time :D

xTKx
January 20th, 2009, 11:10 AM
Nice write up. I really enjoyed reading this. For about 5 minutes, I was no longer waiting for my bike and I was with you riding mine sharing the same experience. :thumbup:

Unfortunately with every high there comes a low and I'm now having a reality check and still waiting for my bike LOL

Sounds like you had a real nice time :D

LOL!! :happy130:

That's exactly how I felt..

Sailariel
January 20th, 2009, 02:26 PM
Very, Very nice writeup. Keep them coming for those of us in the Northern Climes. I can`t speak for the others, but it makes me feel good to see guys and gals enjoying the good weather. Maine winters are cold but it is a time to get together with friends and family. The tourists are gone and we locals don`t have to wait in line to eat in our favourite restaurants. True, there are chores. The last two days were spent with a snow blower removing 20" of snow from our two driveways. Today it warmed up considerably, 23F, which is OK after -26, and I spent three hours shoveling snow off our sailboat--which is in the water all iced in. There were others in the marina doing the same thing. It`s a seafaring thing. Our boat is fairly well known for the voyages she has completed. We are over the hump--January is almost history, February is a short month, albeit, severe weatherwise, and then we are into March--Sailing and riding motorcycles and bicycles at the end of the month. Life is good. My Ninjette is sitting in a heated garage and I have time to do all sorts of projects. Keep the trip logs coming.

CC Cowboy
January 21st, 2009, 06:21 PM
Alex, ever go to Moody's Diner? I have a good friend that lives in Friendship (no it's not Casper) and I head up there every year or two during the two weeks of summer.

I love the North except I have this weird attitude towards winter;
http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk274/enzo_f1/FSnow.jpg

Sailariel
January 21st, 2009, 07:05 PM
Oscar, Moody`s Diner is an icon. They do have great food--not the healthiest, however, one can indulge one`s basal instincts on ocassion.

BlueTyke
January 21st, 2009, 07:49 PM
:: is so jealous ::

xTKx
January 22nd, 2009, 03:06 PM
Given the title to this thread, I thought I'd share this:

Today in central TX it's peaking highs in the upper 70's and there's hardly a cloud in the sky. If only I had a bike to ride... :idunno:

*UPDATE* Today the weather is very similar. Highs in the lower 80's with partly cloudy skies, but we're cooling off into the 50's this weekend...

Chicago Bill
January 25th, 2009, 05:36 AM
Its going into single digits here today. My motorcycle just sadly sits in the garage on its tender awaiting Spring. Nice article...not a hater but jealous.

Bill

Scorpielle
January 25th, 2009, 12:06 PM
Yup I'm seriously jealous, I won't get to ride till maybe April!

Today it's another deep freeze:
-10°C
Partly cloudy
With Wind chill Feels Like: -19

Bring on the Spring!!
:(

CC Cowboy
January 26th, 2009, 12:38 PM
It's going to be 25 here today and tomorrow and then 26.6 on Wednesday. I'm going to ride each day and enjoy the winter weather. That temp is in Celsius or Centigrade. I'm not going to let this weather bother me when I want to ride. I'll just dress for it.

Sailariel
January 26th, 2009, 02:47 PM
Oscar, Today it was -10F and I saw a kid on a Suzuki riding down Rte 1. I thought he was a couple fries short of a Happy Meal. My neighbour came over and we played in my shop (am building him a bike) I told him what I saw and he was not in the least surprised. His response was that they roar around at 100mph on snowmobiles, so what`s the big deal of going 55 to 60 on a clear road even when it is minus 10? I can`t disagree with him.

Angel-be-Good
January 26th, 2009, 06:50 PM
Poor guys. I was freezing arse this morning at like 40 degrees. I am a wuss.

aloh
January 27th, 2009, 10:07 AM
Looks fantastic! I am blessed to have fantastic weather almost all the time here in socal. Its riding season throughout the whole year :)

Sailariel
January 27th, 2009, 01:54 PM
We are due for a major winter storm which will dump 18 inches of snow on top of the 20 inches already down. The good news is that when it snows the temperature goes up. We have had sub zero temperatures for the past two weeks. The skiiers and snowmobile folks are extatic. I did see a Suzuki on rte 1 yesterday. It was five below zero. I don`t think his elevator went to the top. In about six weeks, the weather will be great. I`ll just have to stay inside and eat Scallops, Lobster, and Shrimp. Life is good.

CC Cowboy
January 27th, 2009, 02:33 PM
Alex, how are you getting through the ice to get your seafood? That ice must be two feet thick. I went to Red's two summers ago and I won't go back. Where are the cheap places? I did have lunch at Bob's Clam Hut in Kittery last summer and it was good.

In a few years you will be able to ride year round (with all this global warming). The guy on the Suzuki was just ahead of the curve.

Sailariel
January 27th, 2009, 03:23 PM
Oscar, This is hard to believe but there is very little ice in our harbour. I leave my boat in year round because it is too much of a pain to take the spar out, hire a hauler to haul it, etc. I take it from my summer mooring and tie to a floating dock system, plug in, and set the thermostat at 45F. The boat is 38` long and weighs 10 Tons. It is much better off in its natural environment. Our tides here run 12 to 13 feet, so any ice that forms breaks apart. In the spring, I hang some tyres in burlap bags from the deck around the boat while the Ice from up river goes out with the tide. It is really just a precaution in case something big breaks loose. The boat has been in the water since 1991. In the summer I bring the boat alongside a wooden pier and let the tide go out. I then pressure wash the bottom, apply anti-fouling paint where needed and repaint the waterline stripe. We can usually do this in two tide cycles. The guys are still fishing. Fresh scallops are plentiful, as are lobsters. When I go down to the harbour to check the lines and check to see that the heat is on, there is usually a fisherman around more than willing to sell me some of his catch. It`s a different life here. The people are down to earth hard working honest folk. Life is simple and uncomplicated. Really,since I had my bout with cancer in 2004, I appreciate life so much more. People are important and I feel I have made many friends on this forum even though it is an electronic medium. This forum sometimes gets a little tacky, but compared to the other one.... We do have some good chaps here, and the information available is a virtual bonanza. Do keep posting. We can all benefit from your knowledge--even if you portray yourself as a bit of a rogue. That`s OK, I get cast as a bit too profesorial. Incidentally, Our boat has logged 80,000 nautical miles. From 1991 to 2004 we sailed our boat from Maine to the Caribbean wintering in the Bahamas, Turks and Caicos, The DR, etc. We have only been doing winters since 2004 when we bought a house and a cage. Prior to that, the boat was our full time home and our address was a P.O. Box in Maine. Our only land transportation was a pair of DAHON stainless steel folding bikes. Life is good.