View Full Version : aluminum fan

250biker
January 19th, 2009, 08:29 AM
http://www.muzzys.com/fans.cfm

I see that Muzzy makes aluminum fans for the 2008 250. So the changes for the stock one to this one is you get aluminum over the plastic and also 6 blades over 5. Any more have one on there 250s or other bikes? I was wondering how they compare with the stock ones.

HKr1
January 19th, 2009, 08:37 AM
Looks cool.

Really thou, long as your going better than like 35mph.... you dont even need a fan. Maybe change the sender, and have the fan come on earlier if your stuck in traffic all the time. I put a manual fan sw on my other bike, works out real nice.

Think I have only heard the fan come on twice, in the eleven months having the 250r.

250biker
January 19th, 2009, 09:35 AM
Thanks for the info. I had my fan come on good bit. The manual idea sounds good, but than i got to put another switch and more wires. I will most like get the aluminum fan for the reason of when it does come on it should cool off faster than the stock one. Heck, its only 40 dollars anyways. I wounder if i can earn a new metal from this one..... lol

Viper-Byte
January 19th, 2009, 05:12 PM
I too have heard my fan come on fairly often, though I ride in town traffic on my daily commute to and from work, lots of stopoping and starting.

What I am planning on doing is installing a water temp sensor, and see exactly what temps it is running at and then decide if any mods are required to the cooling system. I would think that the cooling system is able to handle what the bike generates.

TnNinjaGirl
January 19th, 2009, 05:16 PM
I wounder if i can earn a new metal from this one..... lol

Is that in reference to me?

HKr1
January 19th, 2009, 05:20 PM
Fan comes on @ 200deg, I think 180 would be better. It only has 150deg thermostat...
I keep searching the overseas e-bays for an instrument cluster or gauges. Want to up grade to water temp and just a fuel lite.

Hey Kelly,
What does yours run temp wise?

OH, And on a side note... have you counted the blades on your stock fan?

kkim
January 19th, 2009, 05:31 PM
on the highway, about 150-175. On the trip up the mountain, about 180-190.

TnNinjaGirl
January 19th, 2009, 05:40 PM
Do bikes tend to run at the same temps as cars? That seems a little low to me. But then again they are smaller engines and can dissipate heat faster. Also, I'd be concerned over the amp draw on a fan. Especially on your bike, Nathan, you already have heated grips and all that good stuff, no need to over tax your charging system. With that said, if the fan is more electrically efficient that'd be good.

HKr1
January 19th, 2009, 05:46 PM
Do bikes tend to run at the same temps as cars? That seems a little low to me.

Same temp, They tend to push temps higher for emissions. < BS. Like in your car it says your running 180 on the temp gauge, go pull your thermostat.... its a 210deg.

I think anything over 200 is bad....... Kills motors allot faster, keeps the big three in bizz.

on the highway, about 150-175.

Why the big diff??? outside temp diff?

VeX
January 20th, 2009, 12:29 AM
If the engine is having to chug harder it's creating more heat :p My truck is like that. When I'm cruising on the freeway It runs at 180 degrees, but as soon as I step on it or am going up a steep hill it'll hit 200 before you can blink twice.

It's funny about how sensitive engines are about temperature. Anything over 210 or so shortens engine life, and anything below 160 or so proportionately lowers engine life. Sheesh! As for the fan coming on I've heard mine about twice :p

kkim
January 20th, 2009, 12:34 AM
Why the big diff??? outside temp diff? yep... high temp is during the afternoon trip to work... 80-90s. lows during the night around midnight...in the 60's.