View Full Version : CF Paint Protection Kit Installed

tnr4
January 5th, 2013, 06:30 PM
Spent this afternoon installing my paint protection kit from Tankslapper. Those guys RAWK. I had three desiderata for a pattern: it should be a nice accent for the bike (so not the clear 3M stuff); it should cover up a small blemish on the top of the tank; and it should protect the rest of the paint from my leathers, tank bags, etc. Lucas at Tankslapper custom designed a pattern for me and spent over 30 mins on the phone with me, teaching me how to do the installation (it was really quite tricky because of the sharp contours of the tank). Thanks to his patience, I was able to get it done in about 2 hrs today -- with the help of my beautiful assistant, aka my wife. :D

Anyway, there is one more piece to go on the front of the tank, but Lucas is still getting the size right. But I like it a lot, even as it stands, so I thought I would share. :thumbup:

bighurt35
January 5th, 2013, 07:09 PM
looks good, does it come off easily if needed?

SMman
January 5th, 2013, 07:40 PM
I had their clear 3 piece tank protection kit on my 05 GSX-R600 and it was easy to take off and reapply. It helped having a freshly waxed tank and I used a small squeegee designed for the shower to help get rid of any bubbles. I now use Stomp Grip tank pads on my 03 ZX-6R and am thinking about trying the Tech Spec ones for the 250R.

Does the Tankslapper kit offer any grip?

NinjetteNewfie
January 5th, 2013, 07:54 PM
That looks incredible!!!! Very cool:thumbup:

tnr4
January 5th, 2013, 08:29 PM
looks good, does it come off easily if needed?

Thanks! Yes, it comes off very easily. It takes a minute to get a fingernail or something under it, but once you do, it strips right off.

I had their clear 3 piece tank protection kit on my 05 GSX-R600 and it was easy to take off and reapply. It helped having a freshly waxed tank and I used a small squeegee designed for the shower to help get rid of any bubbles. I now use Stomp Grip tank pads on my 03 ZX-6R and am thinking about trying the Tech Spec ones for the 250R.

Does the Tankslapper kit offer any grip?

This is a different material from the clear stuff. It applies more like a vinyl sticker -- no wet application like the classic tank slapper, and a different feel to it. But no, it still doesn't have a lot of grip. It still helps, though, 'cuz I can squeeze as hard as I want without worrying about my paint, lol.

That looks incredible!!!! Very cool:thumbup:

Thanks! :)

Alex
January 6th, 2013, 12:58 AM
Neat!

sharky nrk
January 6th, 2013, 03:10 PM
Not sure if the style tickles my fancy, but it is unique and if you like it that is all that matters. Cool stuff.

beazy411
January 6th, 2013, 07:59 PM
Is their CF real CF with a sticky backing or a vinyl print? I have some chinsy little tank protector on my tank now but it's to small and the tank bag I have leaves marks.

Anyone got any ideas what other colors might work with the white/black bike other than CF or clear?

tnr4
January 6th, 2013, 08:55 PM
Thanks all. And no, it's not real CF, it's just a vinyl print. But it's very nice stuff -- I think it looks real sharp. Some folks are CF snobs, and if that's you, then this won't cut it. But if you just like the general 3D, reflective look, this is very nice.

I think a deep red would look awesome as an accent color in general -- red and white are always hot together. But it really depends on how you use it. Good luck finding a solution that you are happy with!

ricochet08
January 7th, 2013, 07:40 PM
i like it :D

Firehorse
January 8th, 2013, 11:16 PM
Nice! :thumbup:

StephenA
January 29th, 2013, 11:13 AM
:thumbup:

choneofakind
January 29th, 2013, 12:33 PM
I like it a lot :thumbup:

tnr4
January 29th, 2013, 12:44 PM
Thanks folks! I'm still waiting for my little top piece, which is functionally important, as this is where one of the magnets will go for a tank bag. Ever since my first tank bag immediately scratched my brand new Street Triple, I swore I wouldn't use one again unless I had a full tank protection kit. Now I just won't worry about it. :)

Ninja250gurl
February 4th, 2013, 08:34 AM
Awesome! :thumbup: