View Full Version : Ninja 300 vs. CBR500R - the inevitable comparison thread

adouglas
January 9th, 2013, 01:06 PM
Got an 08 250R with the good mods... jet kit, AreaP, K&N, clip-ons, rearsets. Love it.

Getting to the point where the ability to sell and move on will start to drop, though... 13K miles and five years old. So I'm thinking more and more about the next bike.

Two appealing choices are the 300 and the new Honda CBR500R. If I got a 300, I'd instantly do the same mods I've got now. I'd also do what I could to the Honda to tweak the ergos to my liking. Performance mods would depend on what becomes available.

So the Ninja has
- Light weight
- Character. It's got soul, especially with the mods. I rode a Ninja 650 at a Kawi demo day and was underwhelmed because it felt like an appliance.
- Enough added zip after mods to that it'd be a noticeable step up from my current bike. Without mods, not so much.

While the Honda has
- While heavier, it's got higher power/weight and torque/weight than the Ninja even after the Kawi is modded. If AreaP released a full system for it... hmm....
- Character is unknown. See above about the Ninja 650 being boring as hell.

Leaving Kawi jingoism aside, what do you think of these two bikes?

Discusserate.

Jiggles
January 9th, 2013, 01:08 PM
You'll shoot your eye out, kid

Joshorilla
January 9th, 2013, 01:13 PM
I'll get shot for saying this, but the cbr500rr is an obvious winner for me, better looking, better built, faster, more torque...

Ride the two, I think you may find the 300 lacking in comparison to the honda.

Jiggles
January 9th, 2013, 01:34 PM
better built

wat

Joshorilla
January 9th, 2013, 01:35 PM
wat

honda

Nemesis
January 9th, 2013, 01:35 PM
I'll get shot for saying this, but the cbr500rr is an obvious winner for me, better looking, better built, faster, more torque...

+1

Jiggles
January 9th, 2013, 01:40 PM
honda

soooo 2 brand new bikes that have never been on the market before and you can already conclude this?

Joshorilla
January 9th, 2013, 01:41 PM
soooo 2 brand new bikes that have never been on the market before and you can already conclude this?

yes

adouglas
January 9th, 2013, 01:42 PM

Um... where? You've ridden one? If so, how so?

Honda's not on the market yet, at least not in the US. You have 'em over on the left side of the pond?

Besides. NOBODY near me except the BMW dealer allows test rides.

Hopefully Honda will run a demo day in the NY Metro area at some point. I definitely plan on hitting up the next Kawi demo day... the last one was a hoot.

Joshorilla
January 9th, 2013, 01:48 PM
Um... where? You've ridden one? If so, how so?

Honda's not on the market yet, at least not in the US. You have 'em over on the left side of the pond?

Besides. NOBODY near me except the BMW dealer allows test rides.

Hopefully Honda will run a demo day in the NY Metro area at some point. I definitely plan on hitting up the next Kawi demo day... the last one was a hoot.

Sucks to be you! I wouldn't buy a bike without test riding it first, I don't know any dealer that wouldn't let you!

I havn't ridden one, but it is no surprise that a more powerful bike at pretty much the same weight will make the less powerful bike feel slugish in comparison.

And when I say ride one, I am not expecting you to hop to it, if you're thinking of buying either and one is released in the future you will have to at least wait till it's released to buy it, why not wait till it's released to have a go on one, except you can't as your dealers are dicks :D

And yes, I could buy one tomorrow if I wanted to, and i'm pretty sure i'm to the right side of the pond, unless I am Japanese.... no, I checked, I am not.

adouglas
January 9th, 2013, 01:54 PM
i'm pretty sure i'm to the right side of the pond, unless I am Japanese.... no, I checked, I am not.

I'm facing south.

Jono
January 9th, 2013, 02:01 PM
I'd pick the Honda over the Kawi 300. The 300 will be too similar to your current bike.

And IMO the Honda looks great. It just needs lower clipon's and an aftermarket exhaust. And of course remove that rear fender. :D
http://blog.motorcycle.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/111412-2013-honda-cbr500r-07.jpg
http://blog.motorcycle.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/111412-2013-honda-cbr500r-12.jpg

Joshorilla
January 9th, 2013, 02:02 PM
I'm facing south.

You're still wrong, see.

http://img.myconfinedspace.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/world-map-by-australia.jpg

BlackNinja8
January 9th, 2013, 02:37 PM
Get an SV. It will blow both away at half the cost. Plus you'll be getting a bike with known issues, a plethora of online support, and a ton of aftermarket parts. Getting the first cut of the 300 or 500 could mean waiting to mod it out. There is so much you can do with the sv it's too much fun.

Just my biased opinion but if I had to actually answer the question you asked I would say 500. I still wish the new ninja was a redone ex500

Joshorilla
January 9th, 2013, 02:38 PM
Get an SV. It will blow both away at half the cost. Plus you'll be getting a bike with known issues, a plethora of online support, and a ton of aftermarket parts. Getting the first cut of the 300 or 500 could mean waiting to mod it out. There is so much you can do with the sv it's too much fun.

Just my biased opinion but if I had to actually answer the question you asked I would say 500. I still wish the new ninja was a redone ex500

+1 I've rode a SV650 and they are very fun bikes!

BlackNinja8
January 9th, 2013, 02:40 PM
My other attachments didn't work. Second try:

BlackNinja8
January 9th, 2013, 02:48 PM
And this one:

Come one Andrew don't fight it! Btw let me know if you do go to a Kawi demo Ill ride down with you.

adouglas
January 9th, 2013, 02:53 PM
Still don't have cash in hand for yours and besides, didn't you post that you're keeping it?

:mad::mad::mad::mad:

BlackNinja8
January 9th, 2013, 02:58 PM
Still don't have cash in hand for yours and besides, didn't you post that you're keeping it?

:mad::mad::mad::mad:

Yeah but there are a ton of them in our area. Id be happy to help you find one and check it out knowing what to look for. You seem to enjoy modding thats why I bring up the SV you can do literally anything like the pics above. Didnt mean to threadjack

Alex
January 9th, 2013, 04:23 PM
I'd like to ride one as well. Specs seem good for a budget bike. It has compromises in it, including being quite heavy for its size/specs, but so does our 300. I think build quality/finish isn't clearcut as of yet; I thought that this line was going to be built in Thailand as well, like the CBR250R. If so, there's no reason to believe that it will be markedly different from either its little brother, or our kawis built nearby by the same labor force under the same conditions/incentives/pricing structure.

Byakkotai
January 9th, 2013, 05:19 PM
Anyone from Thailand care to chime in?

3qtGKyeNJxA
c3zb0vqbikQ

I'm excited about this offering as well. I don't know if I like the digi tach but they seem to be bit more offered nowadays and I would have preferred integrated front turn signals but that's probably just me. Anyhoo...another win for the consumer is all I see :thumbup:

Jiggles
January 9th, 2013, 05:20 PM
I'm excited about this offering as well. I don't know if I like the digi tach but they seem to be bit more offered nowadays and I would have preferred integrated front turn signals but that's probably just me. Anyhoo...another win for the consumer is all I see :thumbup:

Same here, I prefer analog speedo and tach.

EsrTek
January 9th, 2013, 06:09 PM
I have been considering the CBR500r also, called earlier this week and my dealer won't have them until 3/1 at earliest and more likely 4/1. Each dealer different, but that might give a general idea of when they might show up near you.

I seen it's specs in other markets for 47hp stock :(
If the Honda isn't mid 50's hp stock, and only revs to about 10k (if I seen that dig tach in video right) I'd probably not get it.

Jiggles
January 9th, 2013, 06:23 PM
Yea for sure, 47hp at the rear wheel for a 500cc is pretty lame.

Kerry seems to think he can get the ninja 300 to 40rwhp and that would probably cost the same (total) as a cbr500. You'd still be down 7hp but also be down 45lbs, thats the option I'd go with but I like light bikes.

Now if the cbr500 has the potential for 60rwhp..... :evil:

Joshorilla
January 9th, 2013, 06:26 PM
Get a 390 KTM Duke, 44hp, light as it can be and great looking!

http://www.ktm.com/gb/naked-bike/390-duke/390-duke.html#.UO4YVHwgGK0

Jiggles
January 9th, 2013, 06:32 PM
Get a 390 KTM Duke, 44hp, light as it can be and great looking!

http://www.ktm.com/gb/naked-bike/390-duke/390-duke.html#.UO4YVHwgGK0

307lbs and if you drop it no fairings to fix! Damn, ktm's are looking sexy

EsrTek
January 9th, 2013, 06:34 PM
Nope no fairings and your engine and frame can take the brunt of the crash directly :D

Jiggles
January 9th, 2013, 06:35 PM
Nope no fairings and your engine and frame can take the brunt of the crash directly :D

Lol, half the people on this site add sliders to their ninjas for that exact purpose! To transfer the forces to the frame and engine instead of the fairings :rolleyes:

EsrTek
January 9th, 2013, 06:40 PM
They also help catapult the bike into the air.. don't forget that!!!

Jiggles
January 9th, 2013, 06:53 PM
They also help catapult the bike into the air.. don't forget that!!!

Exactly, that ktm duke is awesome!

Daeldren
January 9th, 2013, 07:38 PM
Or you could just get a used ninja 500 or even Suzuki gs500, both bikes are quick and have a unique personality.
Posted via Mobile Device

tnr4
January 9th, 2013, 09:34 PM
I like the looks of the Honda, but I'm a little skeptical. The trend with Honda to limit the revs for fuel efficiency (NC700 is the same) and ride it with torque isn't my style. The exact reason I bought the 300 is so I have a bike that I can rev to the moon. So I def. still want to check out the Honda, but I think I will prefer my light, rev-happy 300 over the little cibber.

skilletmo
January 9th, 2013, 10:10 PM
Kinda hard to say since the 300 is now better looking, separate headlights, fuel injected, wider tires, little more hp and cc, integrated signals, better speedo. Except still has the turning and feel of a 250. Basically everything the consumers complained about on the 250 was put in the 300 and is now gorgeous. The cbr 500 is nice too, sporty, heavier and more hp. But its what up to you, i personally like street riding more then highway riding so id go with the 300 (not to say they are not good on highways, there excellent.), if you like highway riding and want to own a heavier feel bike id just jump to a 600 class man. Screw a cbr 500, sv, or gs. Go with a 636, r6, gixxer, cbr600rr, etc...

On a side note, id ditch both of them for one of those sweet ktm dukes, just cuase i love street fighter looks! and its perfect fun size.

Jono
January 10th, 2013, 12:15 AM
Or you could just get a used ninja 500 or even Suzuki gs500, both bikes are quick and have a unique personality.
Posted via Mobile Device

You left out the part where both bikes are ugly as sin! ;)

Madman44
January 10th, 2013, 02:02 AM

Pregen 250s beat either of 'em on the ugometer....

juss sayin'....:D

Daeldren
January 10th, 2013, 04:48 AM

Yeah well in the 80`s the Japanese had a hard time making bikes look good. But buy a bike for around 2g`s and slap on some modified race glass.

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/20025_10200428502901427_1878265713_n.jpg

Damn now I'm wanting another bike, curse you all.

JusticeWH
January 10th, 2013, 05:39 AM
I've seen the Ninja 300 at my dealer's and actually it didn't impress me... I was very excited when I saw the pictures and was really counting down till he was available (in belgium only since december), went to see it... came back disapointed :( Manufactered in India (or was it Indonesia, i don't remember cause I was distracted by the new 636 that was next to the 300:D), and not in Japan, or USA, or... And that was clearly visible... I tought the bike was't well finished, ugly "design"/"figures" on the plastic pieces next to odometer,... it looked very cheap to me, looked like it was made "quick! quick!" to get it on the market soon etc. Definately not going to buy it so... the 19th of january I have planned a visit to the new CBR500R! A bike that excited me less on pictures/video, but let's give it a chance in real life :)
200cc's MORE that the Ninja, and only slightly more expensive, so definately worth considering it...

(Oh and by the way; Sorry for my poor english :( )

DeviantTurtle
January 10th, 2013, 05:40 AM
I like the look of the CBR500R over the Ninja 300 personally. I really want to ride both, thinking about 4th bike :-)

As far as the statment about the Ninja 650 being boring as hell??? Those damn stock handle bars really take away the fun feel factor, you need to ride one with the aftermarket sport handle bar (Yes makes that big a differance).

JusticeWH
January 10th, 2013, 05:45 AM
Never rode it actually, it just looked awesome :p

adouglas
January 10th, 2013, 09:14 AM
I like the look of the CBR500R over the Ninja 300 personally. I really want to ride both, thinking about 4th bike :-)

As far as the statment about the Ninja 650 being boring as hell??? Those damn stock handle bars really take away the fun feel factor, you need to ride one with the aftermarket sport handle bar (Yes makes that big a differance).

Wasn't the riding position. It was the overall experience.... too tame, too much like a scooter.

I rode a ZX6R the same day, same route, same conditions. Also smooth, also not that noisy... but it had character. Yes, I know they're worlds apart... but it's not just about the clip-ons.

adouglas
January 10th, 2013, 09:18 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

I had an EX500... good bike, right size and right power for the real world in my case.

It's just too 80s. The seat SUX and is very uncomfortable on long rides... I have no issues with the Ninjette seat at all.

ninjamunky85
January 10th, 2013, 09:46 AM
C'mon.... you gotta go for the Kawi.

Don't support the Big Red Machine,... unless you're a commi.:p

psych0hans
January 10th, 2013, 10:01 AM
I seen it's specs in other markets for 47hp stock :(

That's only to meet the EU A2 license norms by keeping the power to weight ratio under a certain limit. The US will get the 54hp version an so will India(I hope).

SMman
January 10th, 2013, 10:05 AM
Good post and both bikes do go head to head for me, even with Honda's larger displacement. I don't have any seat time on either bike but would like to try them.

I give Kawasaki props for all the added features on the 300 and the new styling. Honda also deserves praise for styling, price, and really get a big thumbs up from me for bringing all 3 versions of the 500 (R, F, and X) to North America. I think the 500R will sell like hotcakes and many riders will choose it over the 300 just because of the displacement.

I will give Suzuki's SV650 the nod because it is a great bike and can be turned it whatever you want (commuter, racebike, touring machine, etc). Many people swap to GSX-R suspension or go aftermarket and that can really transform the bike. I owned one for 4 years and loved it.

My money will be going to the KTM Duke 390 if it comes to Canada and KTM doesn't go crazy with their pricing. It will be a great replacement for my current 2007 Suzuki DR-Z400SM which lacks the 6th gear and fuel injection.

Jiggles
January 10th, 2013, 12:01 PM
That's only to meet the EU A2 license norms by keeping the power to weight ratio under a certain limit. The US will get the 54hp version an so will India(I hope).

The 54hp and 47hp version are one and the same

54hp @ the crank
47rwhp

Jono
January 10th, 2013, 02:58 PM
Pregen 250s beat either of 'em on the ugometer....

juss sayin'....:D

I agree. :thumbup:

Broc
January 10th, 2013, 05:24 PM
Easy, CB500.

The Honda 500's are heavy, but Honda is king of mass centralization. My 480lb monster feels like a Ninja 250r once you start rolling. Parking lots are a breeze. Dirt bars also offer amazing control/leverage. CB500 for me.

ninja250r81
January 11th, 2013, 01:17 PM

learner legal bike in aussie aswell

cbr500r, cb500f, cb500x all the same learner legal bike with no talk of being able to un-restrict the bike when you go to full licence unlike the ninja 650r which can be unrestricted with a relay change.

psych0hans
January 11th, 2013, 06:32 PM
learner legal bike in aussie aswell

cbr500r, cb500f, cb500x all the same learner legal bike with no talk of being able to un-restrict the bike when you go to full licence unlike the ninja 650r which can be unrestricted with a relay change.

I believe an ecu remap should do the trick

leed
January 12th, 2013, 01:25 AM

I'm with this guy too. :p Cheap, cheap, and... well.. fast! Though the CB500's are tempting too.

Byakkotai
January 12th, 2013, 11:41 AM
First dyno we've seen? Courtesy of Tyga Performance in Thailand.

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/74367_527779683918941_523655775_n.jpg

wSZBPFr7iJs

Discuss :thumbup:

Jiggles
January 12th, 2013, 06:42 PM
Seems low

lgk
January 12th, 2013, 06:53 PM
Seems low

+1
i figured it would break 50 with exhaust...

tnr4 is right, they made a smooth torque curve with not much power...

adouglas
January 12th, 2013, 08:04 PM
Yeah, bummer that the Honda has such a low redline.

I mean, on the Ninjette things don't start to get interesting until 8 or 9k. Then it's a lot of fun.

EsrTek
January 12th, 2013, 08:18 PM
sad, although that torque might make it a fun hooligan bike.
I bet a tweaked 300 puts out close to same as that, and I much rather have a 300 w 40+hp than a 500 w 45.

Jiggles
January 12th, 2013, 08:45 PM
Yep, that extra weight kills it

Aufitt
January 12th, 2013, 09:04 PM
I took alot of weight off a 250 and weighed all the parts,

http://www.cbr250.net/forum/cbr250-performance/7614-improvements.html

its alot lighter than my Ninja 250 which is in race trim.
But yeah 20kg would be hard to take off the 500.

Figures are impressive though, 10 more hp than the stock 300 and shitload more torque.
(compare apples with apples)
I'm still keen on a 300 as the next lil track bike.

MNDruggist
January 13th, 2013, 07:01 PM
I got got back from the international motorcycle show in MPLS and all 3 of the Honda 500 models were on the floor. I'm 5'11" 190lbs and feel a little cramped on my ninja 300. The 500 was very comfortable in the stock position for me. My knees were under the tank easily and the seat had more height and was much more comfortable than the stock 300. I think a lot of people who feel cramped on a Ninja 300 or CBR250 are going to buy this bike. I just glanced at the prices, if I remember right it was $5500 for the naked bike and $6k for the full farings. You could feel the extra weight of the bike just sitting on it. For the smaller, shorter riders, the ninja will be a better choice. I think I'm going to have to shop for some rearsets.

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c174/mamohr686/CBR500_zpsd754487b.png

iplante
January 13th, 2013, 07:36 PM
I was there too. Sat on a 500 and didn't like the stance. I'm 5'6 ish

Phoenix767
January 15th, 2013, 07:20 PM
If it were me it would be hard to get a CBR 500 when there is such a thing called the CBR 600.

iplante
January 16th, 2013, 10:02 AM
Phoenix, there is a huge difference that can be seen just sitting on them.

IMO the 500 feels cheap

choneofakind
January 16th, 2013, 10:10 AM
Yeah, but there's a lot more differences between a CBR600RR and a CBR500 than just the displacement of the engine. They deliver power very differently and handle themselves on the road very differently as well.

Miles_Prower
January 16th, 2013, 10:57 AM
The 500 doesn't cut it looks wise. It's almostttt there..but I don't like how big the gap is from the front..they should have dipped the nose down a bit more. Also, rear passenger hand grips? Delete! Those look like horns or something. Don't like the seat layout either, so close to being a banana seat in my eyes. And after looking at the controls in pictures, I agree, everything looks very cheap. Honda's are just so boring looking..I felt the same way about the CBR250R.

SMman
January 16th, 2013, 04:28 PM
You might not like the look of the passenger grab handles and rear seat but I can guarantee a passenger would feel much more at home on the back of the 500 compared to the high rear seat and lack of handles on the 600. I know my wife liked the grab handles on my old 03 VFR800. An easy fix for those who do not like the look would be to buy a seat cowl and remove the handles. Remember the price of the 500 when you mention the cheapness. I think its going to be a big seller for Honda. Will I buy one? Probably not. KTM keeps tempting me with their supermotos.

jaybo
January 18th, 2013, 01:23 PM
I almost waited for the cbr 500 but the higher price and extra weight plus my lack of patience put me on the 300.

I personally think the 500 looks fine. I dont think Hp will be a problem on this bike. It is selected as the mount for some racing class that the 250 ninja used to be so there will be lots of aftermarket support for it. But if power was the end all beat all then a cbr600 would still smoke the modded 500 and cost the same or less in the end.
Im commuting 60 miles each way on my 300 and it is more comfortable, more stable and easier to ride than my yami warrior 1700 was. It is just fun to ride. And I can ring it out hard and still it is stable and manageable and doesnt get me in trouble. This is another way of saying slow but it can be just as much fun.

Jiggles
January 18th, 2013, 01:29 PM
I personally think the 500 looks fine. I dont think Hp will be a problem on this bike. It is selected as the mount for some racing class that the 250 ninja used to be so there will be lots of aftermarket support for it. But if power was the end all beat all then a cbr600 would still smoke the modded 500 and cost the same or less in the end.

Uhm, are you serious? You realize one is a twin and one is an i4 yea? And that they are not really comparable bikes at all.

jaybo
January 18th, 2013, 01:51 PM
do you start every sentence with um? Will writing like Beavis talks make me cool? What your trying to argue about is my point. The 500 is a cheap entry level bike that you yourself were disappointed with the dyno chart. I just said there will be plenty of aftermarket support to get more power out of it but at the cost of all that power, If power was your objective than it would be cheaper and more productive to just by a 600. Personally I would wrather have the 500 myself.

iplante
January 18th, 2013, 01:53 PM
Jiggs, you need to re-do your avatar showing off a finger gun because every time I see it I imagine you going Pew Pew Pew Pew Pew Pew Pew Pew Pew

Jiggles
January 18th, 2013, 08:13 PM
do you start every sentence with um? Will writing like Beavis talks make me cool? What your trying to argue about is my point. The 500 is a cheap entry level bike that you yourself were disappointed with the dyno chart. I just said there will be plenty of aftermarket support to get more power out of it but at the cost of all that power, If power was your objective than it would be cheaper and more productive to just by a 600. Personally I would wrather have the 500 myself.

No I don't start every sentence with uhm, there's three sentences in the post you quoted, perhaps you should take a class in punctuation? The cbr600 is about 2x the price of the 500, they aren't comparable and no one is going to spend 5k trying make their 500 faster. It's a stupid point and you should feel terrible about yourself.

Jiggs, you need to re-do your avatar showing off a finger gun because every time I see it I imagine you going Pew Pew Pew Pew Pew Pew Pew Pew Pew

Yea I need a new avatar, I have an idea I just need some good lighting and maybe help from a friend.

jaybo
January 19th, 2013, 01:38 PM
That's why I rarely give opinions on forums. Everything gets away from the original poster's question and pissing contests get started. I will stick to posting up my mods and occasionally provide useful information that may help others.

CZroe
January 19th, 2013, 06:25 PM
The little Cibber's front fender, passenger seat, and exhaust are all hideous.

psych0hans
January 19th, 2013, 07:55 PM
That's why I rarely give opinions on forums. Everything gets away from the original poster's question and pissing contests get started. I will stick to posting up my mods and occasionally provide useful information that may help others.

Lol don't let jiggy get you down... He's a professional prick, he can't help it... :thumbup:

SMman
January 19th, 2013, 07:57 PM

I thought you had a good point. I'm not sure why your post was questioned. I think you should keep posting and maybe others should think before they reply. Enjoy your new 300:thumbup:

LoneRonin
January 19th, 2013, 09:18 PM
The 300 slaps the **** out of the Honda in the looks department...

gt_turbo
January 29th, 2013, 09:24 AM
Anyone know the release date of the cbr500? So tempting. I'm a Kawi fan, but Honda has done a great job out smarting kawi. Just when Kawi thought they had something to own the entire entry level range Honda brings out a 500. As someone who is looking to upgrade from a 250, the 300 maybe too similar. A 500 maybe the perfect size for someone like me who is not interested in a ss. Also the price difference is only a little over a grand for 250cc more, not bad at all on paper. Can't wait to see them both side by side...

Jiggles
January 29th, 2013, 09:28 AM
Anyone know the release date of the cbr500? So tempting. I'm a Kawi fan, but Honda has done a great job out smarting kawi. Just when Kawi thought they had something to own the entire entry level range Honda brings out a 500. As someone who is looking to upgrade from a 250, the 300 maybe too similar. A 500 maybe the perfect size for someone like me who is not interested in a ss. Also the price difference is only a little over a grand for 250cc more, not bad at all on paper. Can't wait to see them both side by side...

Honda outsmarting kawi? Kawi had a 500 sportbike before honda and got rid of it for the 650 :thumbup:

gt_turbo
January 29th, 2013, 09:32 AM
Honda outsmarting kawi? Kawi had a 500 sportbike before honda and got rid of it for the 650 :thumbup:

The old Kawi 500 was ugly and same with the current 650. If it was more similar to styling cues of the zx6, zx10, or even the 300 I'd be sold on it.

dfox
January 29th, 2013, 10:56 AM

it's all about timing though.

they dumped the 500 for a 650 at a time when most americans were upsizing everything from their mcdonalds fries to their homes. people are slowly starting to come back around, realizing that moderation is probably a more sustainable approach to life in general. I foresee this selling well. It's a smaller bike that will get good gas mileage, and should have enough power to sustain itself at speed with decent reserve acceleration. I wish the US power numbers were better though, on paper it seems capable of a lot more. 60-65 hp seems more like what it should have.

Jiggles
January 29th, 2013, 11:07 AM
gimme a turbo busa with cheese

choneofakind
January 29th, 2013, 12:31 PM
I wish the US power numbers were better though, on paper it seems capable of a lot more. 60-65 hp seems more like what it should have.

Same. I'm betting they've got it pretty well plugged up to make it fit in with the EU and UK regulations. I hope there's a lot of gain in minimal intake/exhaust and fueling changes. Just look at the gains we've seen in the 300 so far.

The Honda may not be stellar in an hp comparison, but it should have a good deal more low and mid-range torque than the 300 right?

Jiggles
January 29th, 2013, 12:37 PM
Same. I'm betting they've got it pretty well plugged up to make it fit in with the EU and UK regulations. I hope there's a lot of gain in minimal intake/exhaust and fueling changes. Just look at the gains we've seen in the 300 so far.

The Honda may not be stellar in an hp comparison, but it should have a good deal more low and mid-range torque than the 300 right?

True, but for 50lbs more weight, I'd like more than a 15hp increase

ninjaone
January 31st, 2013, 06:29 PM
I'd like to ride one as well. Specs seem good for a budget bike. It has compromises in it, including being quite heavy for its size/specs, but so does our 300. I think build quality/finish isn't clearcut as of yet; I thought that this line was going to be built in Thailand as well, like the CBR250R. If so, there's no reason to believe that it will be markedly different from either its little brother, or our kawis built nearby by the same labor force under the same conditions/incentives/pricing structure.

I'm not going to say one is better then the other, but it seems quite strange to me how people can assume that two entirely different companies would produce the same quality of stuff just because they operate in the same country, as if the only variable that matters in a bike's construction is the factory worker's place of birth.

Do you think Mazda, Mitsubishi, and Toyota are all on the same level and all make the same vehicles to the same quality standards with their Japanese factories, simply by the fact they employ Japanese workers?

ninjaone
January 31st, 2013, 06:31 PM
Sorry for that off topic post above ^^^

I'd really say if you are looking to go faster then a Ninja 250 and don't really care how crappy your suspension is, your best bet would be an SV650. Those have tons of character, sound great (90' v twins do that) and are very fast and actually I think lighter then these Honda 500s.

Alex
January 31st, 2013, 08:13 PM
I'm not going to say one is better then the other, but it seems quite strange to me how people can assume that two entirely different companies would produce the same quality of stuff just because they operate in the same country, as if the only variable that matters in a bike's construction is the factory worker's place of birth.

Reading comprehension fail. Just re-read what you quoted of mine, and you'll see the factors that lead to similar products.

Honda doesn't outsource production to Thailand for any different reasons than Kawasaki does. It's cheaper to build bikes there. And both companies have decided to outsource the production of their least expensive, least polished bikes to that environment because a comparatively lower quality fit/finish/overall quality is more acceptable in this market segment. Honda doesn't build CBR1000RR's or ST1300's there for the same reason that Kawi doesn't build ZX-14's or Concours there.

ninjaone
February 1st, 2013, 01:14 PM
It wasn't so much a reading comprehension fail as it was a refutation that those are the only factors that matter when considering manufacturing and production in a country which is what your post was implying.

The fact is the factories in Thailand are accountable to two entirely different companies with two different cultures and two different ways of doing things and ultimately two different standards for quality - again I'm not saying which one is better. I think it's a bit silly to imply that two different companies would produce the same quality of products just by virtue of the fact they operate in the same country (for cost reasons or otherwise).

I think the ultimate implication is a bit offensive concerning the actual workers on the floor doing the actual building.

CZroe
February 1st, 2013, 01:20 PM
I do get frustrated when I see Kawasaki knowingly using bad rubber on our bikes and often wonder if Honda would ever do the same. It isn't coincidence that the exposed windscreen wellnuts are the same size but a different part number (all the rest are "out of sight, out of mind").

I'm also annoyed by our CDI, petcock, and other frustrating quality issues. After 20 years of making the EX250F and seeing all the tank leaks caused by mixing up tank/fairing bolts, I can't believe that they didn't switch to all 18mm long bolts (instead of a mix of 18 and 20mm bolts). To think that they then they went and started puncturing the tanks right out of the factory (clearing threads after painting tank; generated a recall for 2005/2006 tanks IIRC) pre-Thailand production when their process was most mature is shocking.

Jiggles
February 1st, 2013, 01:30 PM
I do get frustrated when I see Kawasaki knowingly using bad rubber on our bikes and often wonder if Honda would ever do the same. It isn't coincidence that the exposed windscreen wellnuts are the same size but a different part number (all the rest are "out of sight, out of mind").

I'm also annoyed by our CDI, petcock, and other frustrating quality issues.

They aren't necessarily bad tires, they are high mileage tires. High mileage tires are a harder compound so they last longer, my first set I got 11k out of them. Think about who the target is for the 250s though (or was). n00bs. n00bs that aren't going to care what tires are on the bike, n00bs that wouldn't know the difference between the tires. I'm not so sure that the IRC's are a cost cutter because if you look them up they are only slightly cheaper (particularly for a company buying in bulk) than the good rubber

Also, on the 300s the IRC tires are supposed to be a better stickier compound though likely still "high mileage"

Oh also, my cdi and petcock work perfectly :D

CZroe
February 1st, 2013, 01:37 PM
They aren't necessarily bad tires, they are high mileage tires. High mileage tires are a harder compound so they last longer, my first set I got 11k out of them. Think about who the target is for the 250s though (or was). n00bs. n00bs that aren't going to care what tires are on the bike, n00bs that wouldn't know the difference between the tires. I'm not so sure that the IRC's are a cost cutter because if you look them up they are only slightly cheaper (particularly for a company buying in bulk) than the good rubber

Also, on the 300s the IRC tires are supposed to be a better stickier compound though likely still "high mileage"

Oh also, my cdi and petcock work perfectly :D

Not tires. I edited above. I'm talking about all the rotten rubber wellnuts, clutch cable boot, trip-meter reset button cover, etc. The parts catalog proves that they know about the bad rubber as far as wellnuts are concerned. The two visible windscreen wellnuts with the different part number (and same size) are the only ones that weren't rotten on my entire bike when I looked at them all after 1 year old... except for the two a dealer already had to replace when they first serviced the bike (right fairing). I bought a replacement trip meter rubber bulb that rotted in my tool box before I even installed it (set it aside to instal the next time I was in the gauge). I bought a replacement clutch cable and it rotted while the bike was in storage for less than a year (looks fine until you operate the clutch and see the cracks straight through the rubber).

Also, there are manufacturing QA issues, like the rubber seat dampers falling out of the passenger seat due to not being fully installed. Mine didn't make it home from the dealer. Most people missing them never even knew they were there. They clearly knew about the problem because they started adding glue, but the real problem was that they were never fully inserted (replaced mine, fully inserted them, noted that they appear fully inserted before they actually are, used the helmet lock daily for four years, and they never fell out again). Kawi probably fixed that a long time ago, but there's no excuse for adding glue to the process before identifying the real issue.

Jiggles
February 1st, 2013, 01:41 PM
Lol gotcha. As far as it goes I haven't had any issues with the wellnuts or any other rubber bits as far as I can tell

CZroe
February 1st, 2013, 01:46 PM
Lol gotcha. As far as it goes I haven't had any issues with the wellnuts or any other rubber bits as far as I can tell

You simply go through Ninja's too quickly or they finally ran out of parts with the bad compound after many years. :)

Jiggles
February 1st, 2013, 01:50 PM
Could be! Though both my 250s were born only a few days apart

CZroe
February 1st, 2013, 01:52 PM
Could be! Though both my 250s were born only a few days apart

There are a couple in the undertail and a couple in the headlight that the PO likely never replaced. I'd be interested in what they look like if you ever have a look! I hope Kawi fixed the issue, but my last clutch cable was ordered in 2011 and it rotted almost instantly. :(

choneofakind
February 1st, 2013, 02:08 PM
I can't believe that after 20 years of making the EX250F and seeing all the tanks leaks caused by mixing up tank bolts that they didn't switch to all 18mm long fairing bolts (instead of a mix of 18 and 20mm bolts), and then they went and started puncturing the tanks right out of the factory

Ummm, they did? Mine has 2 pairs of factory bolts that are both 18mm long. It was completely stock when I got it. Nothing had been changed at all.

CZroe
February 1st, 2013, 04:21 PM
Ummm, they did? Mine has 2 pairs of factory bolts that are both 18mm long. It was completely stock when I got it. Nothing had been changed at all.
Sorry. I wasn't sure what part of the fairing the 20mm bolt comes from because mine have been thoroughly mixed up by the previous owners so I just looked it up. It seems that, yes, even your bike does still have the M6x20 bolts on the lower fairing.
220 220C0620 SCREW-PAN-CROS,6X20,BLACK

People rarely take off the upper without detaching the lower, so it remains a recipe for exactly the mix-up I was talking about. I can't think of any reason to use those instead of the 18mm fairing bolts:
92009A 92009-1663 SCREW,6X18

I went back and edited it for clarity.

Slono
February 1st, 2013, 04:53 PM
I think both manufacturers have made a successful motorcycle. Even if people start on the 250 and upgrade to 500, there's going to be people who start on a 300 and eventually go 600+. This whole post is comparing apples to oranges. As it stands, there are a ton of female riders who ride the Ninjette out of necessity because of their physical limitations, and seeing as how the 300 is smaller than the 500, it will be a big seller among smaller people.

If you raced these bikes, the 500 would always win because its a different class...

gt_turbo
February 1st, 2013, 05:45 PM
250R seat height 30.5". CBR500R seat height 31". pretty much negligible. i'm sure there will be many new bikers picking up a CBR500R off the bat.

and for those complaining about hp being too low for a 500cc. honda has not yet officially released the hp numbers for the US spec 500R, so there might be some extra ponies yet to come due to our emissions being more lax than europes.

choneofakind
February 1st, 2013, 09:35 PM
Sorry. I wasn't sure what part of the fairing the 20mm bolt comes from because mine have been thoroughly mixed up by the previous owners so I just looked it up. It seems that, yes, even your bike does still have the M6x20 bolts on the lower fairing

The tank bolts use a hex key. The 2 for the fairing use a screw driver. If you get those mixed up and puncture a tank, blame yourself, not Kawasaki.

If you use 18's in the lower 2 chin fairing holes, it doesn't like to catch the threads because it's not long enough to make it through the little rubber thing in the fairing. I've tried shimming the right side out a bit to clear my exhaust better, and 2 washers that were 1mm thick made the screws so it was barely able to be threaded. Therefore, Kawasaki could not use 18mm long screws there. The 20mm screws are needed in those locations.

I just don't see what you're all uppity about here.

CZroe
February 2nd, 2013, 01:15 AM
The tank bolts use a hex key. The 2 for the fairing use a screw driver. If you get those mixed up and puncture a tank, blame yourself, not Kawasaki.

If you use 18's in the lower 2 chin fairing holes, it doesn't like to catch the threads because it's not long enough to make it through the little rubber thing in the fairing. I've tried shimming the right side out a bit to clear my exhaust better, and 2 washers that were 1mm thick made the screws so it was barely able to be threaded. Therefore, Kawasaki could not use 18mm long screws there. The 20mm screws are needed in those locations.

I just don't see what you're all uppity about here.
I see. Now, I've never even had an upper fairing on my pregens to secure with an incorrect bolt in the first place, so all I knew was what I heard here and elsewhere over and over before. I'm actually relieved someone who knows finally disputed it for the record because it restores my faith in Kawi a little bit. There aren't any other M6x20 hex-cap bolts, are there? Windscreen? Mirrors? Side fairings?

KawiKid860
February 2nd, 2013, 04:53 AM
I just wanna point out that the CBR500s powerband looks incredibly boring. You mentioned the Ninja 650 felt like riding an appliance, well I'd wager the 500 will feel like riding a less powerful appliance. It's all smooth and what not, which is probably nice just plain old commuting and stuff, but you don't get that 7,000 or so rpm kick that throws you back like a 250/300 or ninja 500 (please remind me how ugly my bike is again :rolleyes: ) or 600+ SS bike. I was considering the CBR500 as an "upgrade" to my good ol ninja but I'd be giving up precious horsepower for.. not much if anything at all. It just seems like the Ninja 300 would be a more fun bike to ride over all, and be a nice bump in power and refinement to the 250. I also +1 the SV650 though, I've never ridden one but its definitely on my list of bikes to consider getting

adouglas
February 2nd, 2013, 06:24 AM
Your bike is ugly.

I had one, btw… an 89 EX500 in candy red/pearl white with pink (yes, pink) stripes.

The 80s were f'ed up.

choneofakind
February 2nd, 2013, 09:50 AM
There aren't any other M6x20 hex-cap bolts, are there? Windscreen? Mirrors? Side fairings?

Not to my knowledge.

I still don't think it's Kawasaki's fault here. They can't idiot-proof an entire motorcycle by specific sizes of bolts for specific locations on the bike. There's just too many bolts on that bike.

choneofakind
February 2nd, 2013, 09:54 AM
Nothing is ever as good as a ninja 500 :lol:

Kurosaki
February 3rd, 2013, 04:37 PM
Ride red

HONDA

mania
February 3rd, 2013, 06:25 PM
I just wanna point out that the CBR500s powerband looks incredibly boring.

That is true & due to the square engine it has.
Bore & Stroke of the 500 is 67.0 x 66.8
Basically what we call a square engine.

aka: non reving torque oriented engine. Good for some but
not what many sport riders like

A good indication is always what is the final number of b/s
In this Honda 500 engines case 67.0/66.8= 1.0

Look at a Ninja 300 ...Bore 62 Stroke 49
62/49= 1.26

Usually anything 1 & below is considered a torque oriented bike

Panigale is 112 x 60.8 = 1.84 definitely designed for horsepower & revs like 12,000 rpm.

Or a Honda 600RR is 67/42.5= 1.59

Ryephile
February 3rd, 2013, 06:51 PM
I got to sit on the CBR500R at the Motorcycle show yesterday. This is just subjective and static, but the 500 felt like it was noticeably heavier and had a higher CG. The seat height may be similar to the ninjette, but it seemed oh so slightly wider, which may be a negative for skinny people. Other than that, the ergonomics seemed close with perhaps a tiny bit more reach, but nothing like a Gixxer, let alone an R6.

The 500 looked better in the flesh than it does in pictures; it looks more "real" and less cheap than I expected. Overall I thought the CBR500R was a good bike, but I don't have any remorse in getting my 300.

[....that KTM 690 Duke, OTOH, is absolutely in my future.] :D

Kurosaki
February 3rd, 2013, 06:59 PM
I just wanna point out that the CBR500s powerband looks incredibly boring.

blasphemer

psych0hans
February 3rd, 2013, 07:57 PM
Ride red

HONDA

:ban:

CZroe
February 8th, 2013, 01:45 AM
Lol gotcha. As far as it goes I haven't had any issues with the wellnuts or any other rubber bits as far as I can tellYou simply go through Ninja's too quickly or they finally ran out of parts with the bad compound after many years. :)Could be! Though both my 250s were born only a few days apart
There are a couple in the undertail and a couple in the headlight that the PO likely never replaced. I'd be interested in what they look like if you ever have a look! I hope Kawi fixed the issue, but my last clutch cable was ordered in 2011 and it rotted almost instantly. :(
Another bit of faith restored:
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showpost.php?p=634184&postcount=12
I started researching and found that Kawasaki updated all the old parts diagrams and now the same part number that was always used for the two exposed windscreen rubber wellnuts (the only two that didn't rot) are substituted throughout the diagram. You can look at the old Cornwall Kawasaki EX250K parts fiche to see what ours used to look like.

This silent update also explains why there were so many reports of 20mm fairing bolts accidentally getting mixed up with the tank bolts and yet even the oldest diagrams only showed 18mm tank/fairing bolts. A little more faith restored. :)

I'd still like to see an acknowledgement of the CDI tach issue with out-of-warranty replacements, but that's asking too much I guess. :P

psych0hans
May 15th, 2013, 11:25 PM
Soooooo.... Don't expect anything drastic from a new exhaust on the 500... The 2 bros unit is out and here are the results... I guess Alex was spot on with his observation.

Eliminate 5.5 pounds of weight from your bike
Add 2 horsepower at 5600 RPM
Increase 2 ft-lbs of torque at 3500 RPM
Add 1.5 horsepower at Peak RPM
Increase 1 ft-lb of torque at Peak Torque

Read more: http://www.sportrider.com/industry_news/146_1305_two_brothers_racing_exhaust_for_honda_cbr500r/#ixzz2TQyUfpzy

Jiggles
May 15th, 2013, 11:29 PM
Boo!

I wanted the 500 to be more competitive to the ninja 300. There's still a decision to be made but it isn't the clearcut choice I was hoping it would be. I'd really like to ride one but it just doesn't jump out at me.

psych0hans
May 15th, 2013, 11:32 PM
Soooo.... I'm thinking someone needs to increase the bore of the engine and make it a proper stoker like the 2fiddy... Lol

Alex
May 15th, 2013, 11:42 PM
Other way around. It's the long stroke that it has already that is limiting revs.

psych0hans
May 15th, 2013, 11:59 PM
Other way around. It's the long stroke that it has already that is limiting revs.

Yeah, I realised after I saw the Daytona 675 review, where they state how it revs more because of the shorter stroke and larger bore... Thanks for pointing it out :thumbup:

choneofakind
May 16th, 2013, 05:50 AM
Hans, that's a slip-on. It also says nothing about fuel delivery adjustment. I still think more is possible.

lgk
May 16th, 2013, 08:09 AM
Soooooo.... Don't expect anything drastic from a new exhaust on the 500... The 2 bros unit is out and here are the results... I guess Alex was spot on with his observation.

Eliminate 5.5 pounds of weight from your bike
Add 2 horsepower at 5600 RPM
Increase 2 ft-lbs of torque at 3500 RPM
Add 1.5 horsepower at Peak RPM
Increase 1 ft-lb of torque at Peak Torque

Read more: http://www.sportrider.com/industry_news/146_1305_two_brothers_racing_exhaust_for_honda_cbr500r/#ixzz2TQyUfpzy

I can see those results with just dropping on an exhaust with no tuning.
But its still very underwhelming...

eta: nm, its a slip on...

gt_turbo
May 16th, 2013, 08:24 AM
Hans, that's a slip-on. It also says nothing about fuel delivery adjustment. I still think more is possible.

This. Still more potential power to be unlocked. No air mods mentioned either.

And as far as the 500's low revs vs the high revs of the 300. The 500 wins all day imo, because it gets into the power band pretty much right away. U don't have to crank WOT, sip a cup of tea while waiting for the ninja to get up to it's power band, ok 9-10k rpm feel the power turning on then it's done at like 12k. The 500's power band makes it so much more streetable than the ninja. Also on the track, that power would be awesome coming out the turns vs the ninja.

psych0hans
May 16th, 2013, 08:38 AM

Yeah, My bad... :o

Toly
May 16th, 2013, 09:18 AM
http://rideapart.com/2013/05/rideapart-review-2013-honda-cbr500r/

backinthesaddleagain
May 16th, 2013, 10:04 AM
that new 500 is a sharp looking bike. i was at my local dealer's open house and saw one late in the day when we were pushing bikes back in to the showroom. didn't notice it earlier due to the pannigale, s1000rr and rc8r ktm that kept itching me to sit on them.

Darling Ninja
May 16th, 2013, 10:35 AM
http://bit.ly/17wXSoT :thumbup:

tnr4
May 16th, 2013, 10:38 AM
This is a seriously impressive showing for the 300!!!

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/comparisons/122_1307_honda_cbr500r_vs_kawasaki_ninja_300/viewall.html

alex.s
May 16th, 2013, 10:56 AM
nice. i love this

"But you can’t blame the tires for the CBR’s comparative lethargy. No, that falls to the soft suspension, which works perfectly with those low footpegs to kill any buzz you might have accidentally generated. "

cuong-nutz
May 16th, 2013, 11:01 AM
Great article! I will still take the 300 over the 500!

subxero
May 16th, 2013, 11:06 AM
i smell a merge

good read, pretty much verifies my assumptions of the 500. I would take a 300 over it any day of the week.

Jiggles
May 16th, 2013, 11:15 AM
:thumbup:

Alex
May 16th, 2013, 11:44 AM
Nice article, Darling Ninja!

Darling Ninja
May 16th, 2013, 11:44 AM
^^^Thank you!

Toly
May 16th, 2013, 12:35 PM
Folks, may I suggest you beg, borrow or steal a ride the on CBR and then decide for yourselves. You're not doing yourself any favors by paper-picking one over the other.

Jiggles
May 16th, 2013, 12:58 PM
Folks, may I suggest you beg, borrow or steal a ride the on CBR and then decide for yourselves. You're not doing yourself any favors by paper-picking one over the other.

Sure thing bro, bring yours over to san jose and I'll be happy to ride it

KawiKid860
May 16th, 2013, 02:33 PM
That article has kind of turned me off from the CB500 line... Sounds torquey and boring. The bikes serve the same and different purposes though. They both cater to newer riders of course, but they also cater to different types of experienced riders. This is a good thing, if we wanted to compare a bunch of bikes that were 99% the same this thread would be about 600s.

gt_turbo
May 16th, 2013, 04:00 PM
That article has kind of turned me off from the CB500 line... Sounds torquey and boring. The bikes serve the same and different purposes though. They both cater to newer riders of course, but they also cater to different types of experienced riders. This is a good thing, if we wanted to compare a bunch of bikes that were 99% the same this thread would be about 600s.

you can't let articles make the decisions for you. for every article where they say the 300 is better, i'm sure there's another one that says the 500 is better. every writer, magazine, etc has their own bias and opinion. do a demo day, rent one, borrow one, and make your own ultimate decision.

choneofakind
May 16th, 2013, 05:28 PM
^^ WERD!

I'd look at the 300 first over the CBR, but that's because of my experience working on my 250, the great exhausts made by Area P, the level of modification I comfortably know I can do, and all you great peeps on here. I guess the small cheap Kawi is in my comfort zone, so I'd give it the first shot.

Jono
May 17th, 2013, 10:02 AM
We all know the KTM Duke 390 is better than both. :D

wkj0WZIWcZ0

StephenA
May 17th, 2013, 02:27 PM
:whathesaid:

lgk
May 17th, 2013, 02:37 PM
We all know the KTM Duke 390 is better than both. :D

wkj0WZIWcZ0

looks like fun:D

JohnnyBravo
May 18th, 2013, 01:20 PM
I'll keep my 3 honey over any of that other nonsense!!!

aeroblade
May 18th, 2013, 11:18 PM
I'm gonna give my 2fiddy a hug! Its still a champ to me :D

However back to topic, shouldn't the 500 be compared to the 650 relative to displacement figures. Forgive me as I failed to notice the factors that pulled these two chaps in together for a comparo.. Feel free to fill me in if indeed I've missed out something.

Love the CBR all except for the fact that its got a lower rev limit. I love the high pitched screams that sets in once I cross the high K's. Its addictive...

Absolutely loved the duke up until it became the beginner bike for all these immature a$$•'s over here. My bike's service center is full of crashed duke 200s. I can't imagine what its gonna be like once the bring in the 390.

tfkrocks
May 18th, 2013, 11:54 PM
I kinda want to get a Duke 390 later on to keep along with my 300 simply because it looks sexy :D

psych0hans
May 19th, 2013, 01:28 AM
I'm simply waiting for their RC series bikes to come out... Then goodbye 300, welcome RC390 :thumbup:

Jiggles
May 19th, 2013, 11:10 AM
I'm gonna give my 2fiddy a hug! Its still a champ to me :D

However back to topic, shouldn't the 500 be compared to the 650 relative to displacement figures. Forgive me as I failed to notice the factors that pulled these two chaps in together for a comparo.. Feel free to fill me in if indeed I've missed out something.

Love the CBR all except for the fact that its got a lower rev limit. I love the high pitched screams that sets in once I cross the high K's. Its addictive...

Absolutely loved the duke up until it became the beginner bike for all these immature a$$•'s over here. My bike's service center is full of crashed duke 200s. I can't imagine what its gonna be like once the bring in the 390.

The cbr is sort of the middle ground between the 650 and 300. It's closer in weight to the 650 and closer in power to the 300. I'd like the 500 more if it was the opposite, close in weight to the 300 and close in power to the 650 but that wasn't Hondas goal with this bike.

Brother Michigan
May 19th, 2013, 11:56 AM
The comment in that article about the rubber pegs kind of giving away what the CBR is about is just what I've been thinking since I laid eyes on the bike. It's good to know that confirmation bias isn't always wrong. :D

I'm simply waiting for their RC series bikes to come out... Then goodbye 300, welcome RC390 :thumbup:

We can dream... :thumbup:

aeroblade
May 19th, 2013, 12:17 PM
The cbr is sort of the middle ground between the 650 and 300. It's closer in weight to the 650 and closer in power to the 300. I'd like the 500 more if it was the opposite, close in weight to the 300 and close in power to the 650 but that wasn't Hondas goal with this bike.

That would have made it quite a bike for a 500. They must have ignored light weight parts so as to focus on its affordability ( which by a market point of view is quite practical). Still very skeptical about the bore/stroke setup. Definitely have to try it out... *cough* and then buy something better :D

psych0hans
May 19th, 2013, 12:21 PM
l
We can dream... :thumbup:

The CEO's confirmed it, the RC390 is expected this year...

Surferboy120
May 19th, 2013, 09:05 PM

I am buying one to so it can sit next to my 300 as well.

Brother Michigan
May 19th, 2013, 09:44 PM

We unfortunate Americans will probably never see it, though... :(

aeroblade
May 19th, 2013, 10:52 PM
I am buying one to so it can sit next to my 300 as well.

You friggin rich people... you disgust me!!!! :p

psych0hans
May 19th, 2013, 10:53 PM
We unfortunate Americans will probably never see it, though... :(

I believe both the duke and the rc390 will be sold in the us... Couldn't be sure tho

Surferboy120
May 20th, 2013, 06:25 AM
I believe both the duke and the rc390 will be sold in the us... Couldn't be sure tho

From what I heard the duke will be here jan 2014 I am working to get on the list for the RC390.

psych0hans
May 20th, 2013, 06:39 AM
From what I heard the duke will be here jan 2014 I am working to get on the list for the RC390.

The duke's due for launch in India any time now... Sometime this month or next month I guess. Can't say anything about the RC tho... I'm sure it'll be a machine to :drool: over...

xdnxp
May 21st, 2013, 02:23 PM
I'm not sure if this is in the right place cause I never really post stuff but here's a comparison of the CBR500R and the ninja 300R from Motor Cyclist.

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/comparisons/122_1307_honda_cbr500r_vs_kawasaki_ninja_300/

Trailerboy531
May 21st, 2013, 02:29 PM
Great! We can add it to the other thread about this article ;)

Alex
May 21st, 2013, 02:43 PM
/merged :thumbup:

Apex
May 25th, 2013, 05:44 PM
I think it was in Motorcyclist magazine.

People were still leaning to the 300 over the 500 in all areas except straight line power and cruising on the highway. In every other area people tended to prefer the little 300.

Way to go Kawi. :)

Alex
May 25th, 2013, 05:51 PM
/merged

gt_turbo
May 31st, 2013, 03:37 PM
kawi fanboy ridingwithtom's video blog - he compares the 500 to the 300. even this hardcore kawi fanboy has good things to say about the 500.

cbr500r review
tYnHjkT7btg

ninja 300 vs. ninja 250 review
BfuHj8l1PgA

Motofool
June 8th, 2013, 07:25 AM
Honda CBR500R vs. Kawasaki Ninja 300

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/comparisons/122_1307_honda_cbr500r_vs_kawasaki_ninja_300/

"“Hey, that’s not a fair fight,” you’re saying. Sure, the Honda’s engine is 37 percent larger. But it also makes 42 percent more peak torque, and, at the top of the CBR’s powerband, beats the Ninja’s horsepower and torque output by 38 and 40 percent. Then again, the 300 is still 1000 rpm shy of its torque peak. Although the posted redline is 8500 rpm, the CBR pulled to 8800 on our SuperFlow dyno. A little bit of over-rev would help the Honda on the street. Numbers and charts don’t describe the Kawasaki’s free-revving nature—a stark contrast to the Honda."

xSean13
June 8th, 2013, 07:41 AM
:couch2:

ninjamunky85
June 8th, 2013, 08:58 AM
I looked at the CBR 500 when I bought my 300, and was unimpressed with the Honda. Although it's faster in a straight line, it seemed pretty boring compared to the ninja. I didn't think the Honda looked as good in person as it does in pictures. The seat is ridiculously skinny and, I didn't think it looked or felt like a bigger bike, although the reviews say otherwise.

I made the right choice getting the 300. I just don't think I would have been happy with the 8.5K redline of the Honda, or it's 430 lb wet weight. Plus the 300 just screams sportbike with it's aggressive looks and big analog tach right in the middle of the dash. It's what a sportbike should be like, no matter what size.

Alex
June 8th, 2013, 08:58 AM
/merged

AgentCircus
September 8th, 2013, 02:00 PM
No more comparisons?

Boom King
September 8th, 2013, 03:35 PM
No more comparisons?

A couple of French ones if you can read it but basically:

Honda = soft, linear engine, suspension a let down when pushed, better build quality and decent rubber, a more versatile bike all around

Kawasaki = lighter and more nimble, cheaper build quality and bad tires, engine has more soul and character

Tigerpaw
September 8th, 2013, 03:52 PM
A couple of French ones if you can read it but basically:

Honda = soft, linear engine, suspension a let down when pushed, better build quality and decent rubber, a more versatile bike all around

Kawasaki = lighter and more nimble, cheaper build quality and bad tires, engine has more soul and character

I'm still curious why people don't like the OEM tires for the street.

If they are that bad...remove them immediately, and ship to me!

Boom King
September 8th, 2013, 04:06 PM
I'm still curious why people don't like the OEM tires for the street.

If they are that bad...remove them immediately, and ship to me!

According to the writers, they lacked feedback.

Neenja
September 10th, 2013, 01:34 PM

Ok so here's real life comparison from me. I've owned quite a few bikes. from 250's to 750's. Previous 3 bikes have been 08 CBR600RR (Graffiti Edition), Ninja 300, and I just acquired the CBR500R. I can confirm and assure that everything mentioned on the article comparing the CBR500R and Ninja 300 is TRUE.

My opinion.
Ninja 300 - Same thing everyone says, it's the ultimate Trainer. Inspires confidence, easy to ride, excellent handling, the bike will do what you want it to do,and slipper clutch a big plus. If I would hop on to the CBR600RR after riding the Ninja 300, you would apply what you have learned and enjoy the extra power.

CBR500R - DOES NOT FEEL/HANDLE/RIDE LIKE A SPORT BIKE BUT IT IS EXTREMELY COMFORTABLE!!!!!!
You will not be able to ride this thing like the ninja 300 at all. I tried it when I went on my 300 to go get the 500 and it is totally different. Not what I expected. I have to get used to the bike and change my riding style on this one, I was actually cautious with this bike and felt like a Noobie while riding it.

This is my initial impression on the CBR500R since I've only had it for 2 days now.

Oh and a heads up if anyone is thinking about buying a CBR500R, you need to do a Valve Clearance check on first 600 mi service which will cost around 350-400 bucks. And tool bag only comes with an allen wrench. If this was my first bike, that would've been a real turnoff for me.

ai4px
September 11th, 2013, 05:56 AM
My wife just got a 2013 CBR500R despite my insistence she get a ninjette. I've not ridden a ninj300, so I can't really compare.

So far, the cbr is very good. It's light and nimble, it isn't going to get out from under you. The torque / hp curve is very broad, so it's a good commuter.

As far as maintenence goes, I don't have to stip the fairings to change the oil, which I like better than my ninj 650.

We can't seem to get side case mounts from Givi for this bike yet. As it stands, they've said they would be out in August and they aren't. Also, the ones we get may be for the CB500X model and I may have to cut on them a bit to make them fit the CBR500R. This is flustering me b/c I'd really like to have v35 bags for her so we can interchange.

Wes

Toly
September 11th, 2013, 09:30 AM
My opinion.
Ninja 300 - Same thing everyone says, it's the ultimate Trainer. Inspires confidence, easy to ride, excellent handling, the bike will do what you want it to do,and slipper clutch a big plus. If I would hop on to the CBR600RR after riding the Ninja 300, you would apply what you have learned and enjoy the extra power.

CBR500R - DOES NOT FEEL/HANDLE/RIDE LIKE A SPORT BIKE BUT IT IS EXTREMELY COMFORTABLE!!!!!!
You will not be able to ride this thing like the ninja 300 at all. I tried it when I went on my 300 to go get the 500 and it is totally different. Not what I expected. I have to get used to the bike and change my riding style on this one, I was actually cautious with this bike and felt like a Noobie while riding it.

If I get your drift, you're sayin' that Ninja 300 to CBR600 transition is seamless as they're both true sportbikes; whereas the 500 somehow feels different. I agree that the 500 is a bit of different animal, but you can't just hop on the 600rr from Ninja 300 and ride it the same way, with extra power on tap.

You can redline 300 (and most of the times, 500) at will. Do that on a 600, and your experience will be very, very different. The wider tire of the 600 makes it less flickable than the other two. Both 300 and 500 have more upright seating position, with less stress on the hands / core muscles, making commuting much easier. Riding around in heavy traffic is a breeze on 300/500 and a torture on 600. I could go on, but the point is, all three are very different, and there is a learning curve for each.

But while the 500 feels more different, it is only the initial impression; mastering it and riding it to the limit is way easier than doing the same with the 600.

Neenja
September 11th, 2013, 10:22 AM
If I get your drift, you're sayin' that Ninja 300 to CBR600 transition is seamless as they're both true sportbikes; whereas the 500 somehow feels different. I agree that the 500 is a bit of different animal, but you can't just hop on the 600rr from Ninja 300 and ride it the same way, with extra power on tap.

You can redline 300 (and most of the times, 500) at will. Do that on a 600, and your experience will be very, very different.

Yes, that's what I was trying to say, that when I hop on the 600 after the 300 it feels familiar. Not that I wanna be redlining the 600 all the time, just get up to speed quicker.

But while the 500 feels more different, it is only the initial impression; mastering it and riding it to the limit is way easier than doing the same with the 600.

Yeah I just have to get used to it I guess. It does feel lathargic right now, and I'm trying to see how well I could make it handle. Although I feel I could handle the 600 better than the 500, either that or I just really suck as a rider (always a possibility). The 500 does excel on turning radius though (low speed turning the handle bars).

The wider tire of the 600 makes it less flickable than the other two. Both 300 and 500 have more upright seating position, with less stress on the hands / core muscles, making commuting much easier.

That's why I like the 600rr over the rest of the middleweights, because it keeps some of the 250/300 properties that I love which is awesome handling and flickability, and is also not as bad around town as with some other bikes (thanks to the handlebars being a little higer than the rest), also I'm tall with long arms so that might contribute.

Again, it's only my personal opinion.

Klondike1020
September 27th, 2013, 07:05 PM
This is a good read

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/comparisons/122_1307_honda_cbr500r_vs_kawasaki_ninja_300/viewall.html

I enjoyed this comparison ..... and its dead on.

The CBR has a little more power but it just doesn't feel as good as the ninja300

they have the torque curves and the ergonomic measurements charted at the bottom of the article

Daks
September 27th, 2013, 09:52 PM
All of these reviews peg the 300 as the more "fun" bike and the winner while just shrugging off the torque of the honda being better on the freeway and city pacing.

Meanwhile, most people ride on the freeway or city.

I guess as a sportbike or toy, yeah, the 300 is best but I need a daily ride. The 500 seems better for that. (I'd get the CBF)

Rugby Winger
September 28th, 2013, 07:19 AM
I might get the CBR500R on this one. When it comes to the 300 and the CBR250R then I'm getting neither.

Alex
September 28th, 2013, 10:17 AM
/merged

allanoue
September 28th, 2013, 10:37 AM
$1200 price difference makes this a no brainer

KawiKid860
September 28th, 2013, 11:37 AM
I'd go with a 300 simply because I prefer sportbikes. If the honda was tuned more like a Ninja 500R and had better suspension I'd be allllllll over it as a replacement for my old girl while she gets a complete overhaul.

I'd personally go with like an SV650, Duc monster or preferably a DRZ400 for a torquey, commuter/city bike. I just like power, and if I'm getting something for the purpose of it's torque and good manners might as well get something that's going to have some nice get up and go when you really want it to. In my opinion at least.

Boom King
September 28th, 2013, 01:37 PM
The Ninja 300 does really well in a comparison against the Honda. Both seem to be great bikes.

dGuHgxmUfOk

http://www.motorcycle.com/shoot-outs/2013-beginner-sportbike-shootout-part-2

mtbang
September 30th, 2013, 03:45 PM
Like many others, I was considering the Honda over the Ninja until I stopped by the dealership today. I wanted to test out the extra weight and seating position. I was sort of maybe leaning towards the Honda due to already having a Ninja 250. But for me just sitting on it was a buzz kill. I do not care for the upright, narrow bars. Feels too much like the Ninja 650 which a family members owns and I do not care for the riding position at all. Easy enough decision and didn't cost me a dime, back to the '14 300 as I really like the SE green color scheme. Spring can't get here soon enough!

Boom King
October 3rd, 2013, 11:30 AM
Motorcycle USA Comparison (http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/156/17106/Motorcycle-Article/2013-Kawasaki-Ninja-300-vs-Honda-CBR500R.aspx)

A good comparison but I wouldn't put too much emphasis into which one was the "winner". All the riders were 6 feet or plus and naturally felt more comfortable on a bigger bike.

Tigerpaw
October 3rd, 2013, 11:35 AM
Meanwhile, most people ride on the freeway or city.

On the 300

Not This guy :D

Freeways and city roads are an ends to a mean...basically only used to get to twisties.

rasta
October 3rd, 2013, 01:17 PM
On the 300

Freeways and city roads are an ends to a mean...basically only used to get to twisties.

This:thumbup:

Toly
October 5th, 2013, 04:42 AM
http://rideapart.com/2013/10/2014-kawasaki-ninja-300-abs-se-review/

Daks
October 7th, 2013, 11:23 PM
On the 300

well aren't you special? :p

Tigerpaw
October 8th, 2013, 01:53 AM
well aren't you special? :p

The State says so.