View Full Version : impressions on cat delete

jaybo
January 17th, 2013, 01:26 PM
I deleted my cat today.
1. It is not noticeably louder.
2. With a slip on with the quiet baffle in place which flows very similar to the stock muffler it makes a slight difference. I noticed a bit better off idle response and low end torque up to mid. I did not notice any difference in the mid to top.

When I remove the snorkle and install my tune and take out the baffle I'm confident it will make a much bigger difference. I will follow up with that in a few days when my area p micro tuner arrives. I will post up some pics then as well.

If anyone is interested I can do the cat delete, PM for details. I would not do this if the bike will remain stock as it wont make big gains with the stock muffler, airbox and tune. Once those restrictions are eliminated then it will become much more beneficial.

alex.s
January 17th, 2013, 01:28 PM
photos please

Jiggles
January 17th, 2013, 02:01 PM
Also dynos

adouglas
January 17th, 2013, 02:28 PM
When I deleted my cat, my dogs were annoyed with me because they didn't have anything left to chase except squirrels.

choneofakind
January 17th, 2013, 02:29 PM
:)

jaybo
January 18th, 2013, 09:19 AM
Here are a couple pics. One of the header cut in two, One of the cat material before removal. And one of the back of the header where the muffler connects.

Yes I did remove the burs left from the chop saw before welding back together.

I removed the necked down portion at the rear of the header. The line (drawn with sharpe) represents the overlap of my slip on. It fits perfectly with the larger OD of the pipe with no gasket.

I removed the necked down part only. This necked down portion in addition to the cat is why a slip on does not add power or not much compared to a full system. I dont presume that these mods will be as good as an aftermarket header and exhaust that have been dynoed and tweaked and dynoed again but I think it will make an improvement, ask Old3. Also I must give props to Area P as I ordered my tuner yesterday and they will ship today. They gave me free shipping and a little extra because of thier mistake. I can tell that they prioritize customer service over the bottom line and will be great to deal with in the future. Im about to make another order from them!

alex.s
January 18th, 2013, 10:13 AM
nice work

jaybo
January 20th, 2013, 06:45 PM
Thanks man!

ChainLash
January 21st, 2013, 07:10 AM
Would you mind weighing just the cat to see how much weight savings?
Thanks.

himynameisjoe
January 21st, 2013, 08:21 AM
http://www.nospoons.com/Porsche/no-delete-cat.JPG

jaybo
January 21st, 2013, 07:47 PM
It is just powder now in my shop garbage can, It does not weigh very much. I would guess a half pound or less.

January 21st, 2013, 08:01 PM
Deleting cat added low end torque? Interesting thought it would of been opposite.

jaybo
January 22nd, 2013, 09:06 AM
Only butt dyno, It just seems to ease off from a stop better and have better response down low. I cant confirm any actual increase in Ft lbs. I would have guessed less low and more up high but I felt the opposite.