View Full Version : Another Chain Question

Sailariel
January 20th, 2009, 02:59 PM
I have been reading the Kawasaki shop manual and read the part on changing chains. Seems that Kawa wants you to go through a ritual involving the swingarm, rear shock etc. Is there any reason that you can`t simply buy a 106 link O ring chain, use a chain breaker tool, attach the new to the old, and pull the whole thing through. Then you put in a master link or re-rivet the new chain where you broke it. Used to work on all motorcycles I have owned in the past. Can you enlighten me? Is there a reason Kawasaki specifies a continuous chain? Can O ring chains be spliced? This is my first experience with O ring chains.

kkim
January 20th, 2009, 03:09 PM
O ring chains can indeed be re riveted or a mater link installed.

Kawasaki uses a one piece chain under the theory that the master link is the weakest link.

On my old CBR bikes, they came with a one piece continuous chain. I would grind off the side plates on one of the links and use a O ring master link to replace it. That way, I could take off the chain for cleaning and or bike maintenance.

If you have a riveting tool, I don't see why adding a rivet type master link would compromise the chain. Besides, our bikes don't really have chain stretching power to start with. I used to use a regular O ring clip type master link on my CBR600 chains.

What Kawasaki recommends for changing chains is ridiculous, more dictated by the corporate lawyers than the engineers, I'd bet. :rolleyes:

Sailariel
January 20th, 2009, 05:30 PM
Kelly, Thanks a million. I had a feeling that Kawasaki was "Pole vaulting over mouse turds". I did not think there would be a problem with he proper tool. Never had a problem changing chains on the Norton. Needed feedback from someone in the know on these modern machines. Thanks. Doc.