View Full Version : Used 300 on craigslist

Rollo
January 28th, 2013, 08:41 PM
Found an ad for a used 2013 Ninja 300 SE with ABS on craigslist tonight. It has 2,000 miles, recently serviced, never dropped with a clean, notarized title. The guy is asking $4,800 for it. He says he wants a bigger bike now(r6, GSXR etc).

I already have my 2012 250 SE, but I called the guy and I'm going to take a look at it. Seems like a hell of a deal, if it's actually as he says it is. It'd be worth the upgrade for fuel injection and ABS alone to me. Aside from the obvious things, what do you suggest I look for when I see the bike tomorrow?

Surferboy120
January 28th, 2013, 09:23 PM
Found an ad for a used 2013 Ninja 300 SE with ABS on craigslist tonight. It has 2,000 miles, recently serviced, never dropped with a clean, notarized title. The guy is asking $4,800 for it. He says he wants a bigger bike now(r6, GSXR etc).

I already have my 2012 250 SE, but I called the guy and I'm going to take a look at it. Seems like a hell of a deal, if it's actually as he says it is. It'd be worth the upgrade for fuel injection and ABS alone to me. Aside from the obvious things, what do you suggest I look for when I see the bike tomorrow?

Not being a smart arse but I would look for your checkbook thats a good deal.

choneofakind
January 28th, 2013, 09:30 PM
It really is. Make sure it hasn't been down, but other than that, buy the damn thing.

Even if it's been neglected for its whole life, who cares? it's only been for 2000 miles. You can't even kill a drive chain in that short of time.

antiant
January 28th, 2013, 09:45 PM
I'm hoping more people think these 300's are "underpowered," so I can reap/rape the benefits.

Rollo
January 28th, 2013, 09:50 PM
Good points all around. If everything goes well tomorrow, I'll post some pics.

skilletmo
January 28th, 2013, 09:59 PM
First rules of checking a bike (for me at least): Check the forks in corners, go through all the gears, walk around inspection (any drop scrapes), and your good to go!

Rollo
January 29th, 2013, 01:26 PM
Offered him $4,500 cash and he jumped on it. Just got it back home. Pics soon to follow.

alex.s
January 29th, 2013, 01:28 PM
2000 miles. You can't even kill a drive chain in that short of time.

wanna bet? :)

Jiggles
January 29th, 2013, 01:29 PM
Sick

choneofakind
January 29th, 2013, 01:32 PM
wanna bet? :)

Well! I didn't mean you personally! I wouldn't put breaking anything in a short amount of time past you :p :lol:

alex.s
January 29th, 2013, 01:34 PM
i destroyed a chain in ~300 miles before because of an improperly offset output shaft. fixt it by hitting the sprocket with a hammer.

choneofakind
January 29th, 2013, 01:39 PM
:lol: I rest my case. Anyone except Mr Shank would have trouble ruining a drive chain on a brand new bike in less than 2000 miles. Go for it Rollo

gt_turbo
January 29th, 2013, 01:44 PM
That's a steal! Hope there will be more squids like this selling their barely used 300's.

beazy411
January 29th, 2013, 02:24 PM
I hope that the bike works out for you because that is one helluva steal. :thumbup:

Rollo
January 29th, 2013, 02:33 PM
I'll be putting up some pics soon. Gotta head to the DMV(I refuse to call it the MVD, sounds like a venereal disease) and transfer the title, etc. The 20 mile ride home was amazing even though it was friggin cold. I can definitely feel the bump in power and I felt a lot more stable even with the crosswinds on the freeway.

Only gripe I have is with the brakes. I've never ridden a bike with ABS before, so there's not a whole lot of feedback from the brakes. I'm sure I'll get used to it soon enough though.

All in all, I'm beyond excited. Best $4,500 I've ever spent.

choneofakind
January 29th, 2013, 02:37 PM
Glad you like it. Others have also had gripes with the brakes on non-abs models, so I'm not sure if those 2 things are connected or not.

Tigerpaw
January 29th, 2013, 04:20 PM
Holy crap!

Great find!

Enjoy!

CZroe
January 29th, 2013, 10:55 PM
I'll be putting up some pics soon. Gotta head to the DMV(I refuse to call it the MVD, sounds like a venereal disease) and transfer the title, etc. The 20 mile ride home was amazing even though it was friggin cold. I can definitely feel the bump in power and I felt a lot more stable even with the crosswinds on the freeway.

Only gripe I have is with the brakes. I've never ridden a bike with ABS before, so there's not a whole lot of feedback from the brakes. I'm sure I'll get used to it soon enough though.

All in all, I'm beyond excited. Best $4,500 I've ever spent.
GA changed their DMV name to Department of Driver Services several years ago. I refuse to call it the DDS. It sounds like some kind of... Syndrome (Developmental? Death?).

JELY1990
January 29th, 2013, 11:15 PM
Congrats man! $4500 is a steal.

GA changed their DMV name to Department of Driver Services several years ago. I refuse to call it the DDS. It sounds like some kind of... Syndrome (Developmental? Death?).

DDS stands for Doctor of Dental Surgery. I guess the DMV could be compared to having teeth pulled haha.

Rollo
January 29th, 2013, 11:40 PM
Congrats man! $4500 is a steal.

DDS stands for Doctor of Dental Surgery. I guess the DMV could be compared to having teeth pulled haha.

Thank you! And yeah that's very appropriate as well. Took me two hours of waiting just to get the title transferred and new registration, yet it took me all of two minutes to add the bike to my insurance online... Oy. I seem to have a knack for poorly timing my trips to the DMV.

Apologies for the lack of pics, the bike was filthy and I spent all afternoon cleaning it up and it got too dark to take decent pictures. But she's looking especially lovely now, so I'll have some up tomorrow. Cheers, all.

CZroe
January 30th, 2013, 12:34 AM
Thank you! And yeah that's very appropriate as well. Took me two hours of waiting just to get the title transferred and new registration, yet it took me all of two minutes to add the bike to my insurance online... Oy. I seem to have a knack for poorly timing my trips to the DMV.

Apologies for the lack of pics, the bike was filthy and I spent all afternoon cleaning it up and it got too dark to take decent pictures. But she's looking especially lovely now, so I'll have some up tomorrow. Cheers, all.

OK, Dr. Fronk-in-stean, I wanna see a stitched-together mixture of your two Ninjettes!

I'll go get the lightning and you start practicing your "It's ALIVE!" screams.

Rollo
January 30th, 2013, 11:03 PM
Well it only took me forever and a day, but here's a couple pics.

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k250/Rollo_Tomasi_/photo7_zpscaddafd7.jpg

Stable mates!

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k250/Rollo_Tomasi_/photo6_zps302abb6e.jpg

It's like Christmas gone wrong(or incredibly right) in my garage.

skilletmo
January 30th, 2013, 11:35 PM
What are the plans for the 250?

Rollo
January 31st, 2013, 01:05 AM
What are the plans for the 250?

I'm far too attached to it to simply sell it off. It's my first motorcycle, after all. I would make it a track bike or something, but my bizarrely proportioned body(I'm 6'4, 160lbs with a 36 inch inseam) makes it impossible to find a one piece suit. At least I haven't been able to find one. So no trackdays for Rollo.

I'll most likely end up hanging on to the 250. Although I probably should sell it considering how crazy I am about the 300. For now, I'll hang on to it.

psych0hans
January 31st, 2013, 01:35 AM
I'm far too attached to it to simply sell it off. It's my first motorcycle, after all. I would make it a track bike or something, but my bizarrely proportioned body(I'm 6'4, 160lbs with a 36 inch inseam) makes it impossible to find a one piece suit. At least I haven't been able to find one. So no trackdays for Rollo.

I'll most likely end up hanging on to the 250. Although I probably should sell it considering how crazy I am about the 300. For now, I'll hang on to it.

Vanson will stitch you a suit to your size, or go in for one of those cheap Pakistani ones... Something's better than nothing... Sweet looking bike, congrats on the deal!!!

choneofakind
January 31st, 2013, 07:59 AM
Another option to check out for custom fitted leathers is Spartan Leathers.

Go try some on if you can. The numbers aren't always right/easy to decide on.

five10
January 31st, 2013, 09:40 AM
Sweet find! Looks like you need some Italian/Japanese leathers.

RS Taichi does custom fitted track gear. Talk about a second skin! Not sure about this next part, but Scuderia (SF, Cali) can measure. Must be a distributor in AZ as well!

antiant
January 31st, 2013, 09:45 AM
Congrats on the new bike, I'm jealous that you got it at that price, haha.

SMman
January 31st, 2013, 01:43 PM
Two great looking bikes you have there. I'm of the opinion to never sell any bikes, just keep buying more ;).

Miles_Prower
January 31st, 2013, 01:54 PM
Two great looking bikes you have there. I'm of the opinion to never sell any bikes, just keep buying more ;).

i was thinking about this, but holy moly, say you want to keep all of them registered..every single year you gotta pay for registration!! And emissions too!

skilletmo
January 31st, 2013, 03:40 PM
I would sell my 250, i mean they are almost identical except the 300 has a few upgrades like the obvious hp, gauge, lights, and abs. So i dont see any point in keeping it! (not like you bout a 636 or any 600cc class bike, in that case it would be a different story and i would keep it) Plus the longer you wait, the less your bike will be worth.

tooblekain
January 31st, 2013, 04:38 PM
lucky!!!!

SMman
January 31st, 2013, 04:53 PM
i was thinking about this, but holy moly, say you want to keep all of them registered..every single year you gotta pay for registration!! And emissions too!

2 words: TRACK BIKE :ride:

I must be lucky because it doesn't cost much to register the bikes I use on the street and there aren't any emission charges.

I've regretted selling a few of my past bikes so vowed to keep them from now on, plus it always nice having a backup bike or two when one is due for maintenance, etc.

I look forward to hearing how you like the 300 compared to the 250 after you get some more miles on the 300. Nice having 2 SE models.

skilletmo
January 31st, 2013, 04:59 PM
Ya unless you really are going to make it into a track bike , then i would keep it. One for the street (300) and one to beat up and abuse at the track (250).

Rollo
January 31st, 2013, 07:16 PM
2 words: TRACK BIKE :ride:

I must be lucky because it doesn't cost much to register the bikes I use on the street and there aren't any emission charges.

I've regretted selling a few of my past bikes so vowed to keep them from now on, plus it always nice having a backup bike or two when one is due for maintenance, etc.

I look forward to hearing how you like the 300 compared to the 250 after you get some more miles on the 300. Nice having 2 SE models.

Now that you fine folks have given me a little hope of finding gear for the track, I'm strongly considering keeping the 250 as a track bike.

I've put 200 miles on the new 300 and I am seriously impressed with it. It's weird how much different it feels compared to the 250. Rather than feeling like I'm riding a small bike, it rather feels like I'm riding a small, big bike... if that makes any kind of sense.

I've gotten used to the brakes a little more, although I still think they're the only negative about the 300. I'm wondering if any non-abs 300 owners experience the same issue with not feeling the brakes grip. Someone at my local gear shop suggested that the previous owner might have gotten something on the front pads, so I might take a peek and see. I did find it funny when a customer at the shop asked me if it was a ZX-10R.

The rubber mounted engine is so freaking nice. Not having my hands numbing at freeway speeds is great. She's still got a good bit of pull at 80 indicated MPH, so there's passing power. But I have to say that I find it a little disconcerting at how quiet the bike sounds. I'm pretty sure my 250 is louder and both have the stock exhaust.

I haven't noticed(or needed?) the slipper clutch yet so I can't really speak to that.

So far, In short:
+ Added power is awesome, especially for confidence at highway speeds
+ The bike is gorgeous(my opinion, some might disagree)
+ Turning the key and hearing the fuel injectors is like hearing a choir of angels
+ Rubber mounted engine means no more numb hands after 20 minutes on the highway
+ New gauges take some getting used to, but I love the huge analog tach and the placement of the indicator lights.
+ Might be a small thing to others, but the footpegs feel much better. My boots seem to grip better than on the 250s rubber pegs.

+/-(depending on your preference) The bike is seriously quiet
- Not feeling the brakes grip, though as I said, might be either the ABS or a mistake on the previous owner's part
- I'm not riding it right now, but I think I'll remedy that. Cheers :D

choneofakind
January 31st, 2013, 07:24 PM
+ Turning the key and hearing the fuel injectors is like hearing a choir of angels

Haha that's the fuel pump running ;)

Slono
February 1st, 2013, 05:00 PM
I don't even know anybody with a ninja 300 and you find a USED one??? Great deal!

Heed
February 12th, 2013, 11:50 PM
Awesome.

I hope there will be some used 300's here in the Chicago area when winter is over. I'm dead set on buying a 300 as my first bike. I've got my finger on the trigger, but there's just no used ones yet. >.<

DreamN
February 13th, 2013, 12:23 AM
Great deal. If you can, keep both. I know I would.

darkwings
February 13th, 2013, 10:53 AM
that guy just threw away 1700$ and handed you a bike... my ninja 300ABS cost me 6158 OTD after DMV fees and such.
good buy!
and ya, these are wayyy more stable on the highway.

StephenA
February 13th, 2013, 11:37 AM
:werd:

drbyatch
March 8th, 2013, 06:28 PM
+/-(depending on your preference) The bike is seriously quiet
- Not feeling the brakes grip, though as I said, might be either the ABS or a mistake on the previous owner's part
- I'm not riding it right now, but I think I'll remedy that. Cheers :D

The brakes on mine are confidence inspiring enough for me... 300 is my first bike so i have no point of reference. i find the rear on is a bit squishy even compared to riding the one at the course i did to get my licence. (australia 250cb honda) - but you only do max 20kmh on the course...

although engaging the abs pulls you up FAST.

that's a top price though... you could probably even resell it with a few hundred dollars on the price and make a profit... however DON'T do it.