View Full Version : Ninjette Bath Time..

xTKx
January 22nd, 2009, 03:00 PM
Got a few questions regarding how to properly wash your bike:

How do you dry your bike? Any method in particular?
Can you use regular car wash soap?
Is it okay to openly use a water hose when washing?
Are there electrical components that need to be covered when washing?

I know, I know. I look like the biggest n00b on the board :o, but I just want to make sure that when I (finally) get my ninjette, I'll be ready to go with as many questions out of the way as possible...

kkim
January 22nd, 2009, 03:04 PM
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=11311&highlight=washing

Alex
January 22nd, 2009, 03:06 PM
Don't worry, there are no stupid questions.

Check that, I'm sure we could think of some if we really tried.

But yours aren't yet. :D

Here's a link to a thread (http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=11311) where much of this was covered. I use standard car wash soap, and the Mr. Clean system which basically puts filtered/deionized water on as the last step so it can just dry on its own without water spots.

Keep in mind that your motorcycle is designed to be able to be ridden in the rain indefinitely without failure, so yes, it is OK to get it wet. The only real no-no's are very high pressure washes where you may be able to get the water past some seals that aren't designed to resist high pressure streams.

kkim
January 22nd, 2009, 03:09 PM
Just to add- I also would not wash a bike immediately after riding it w/o giving it some time to cool down.

xTKx
January 22nd, 2009, 03:20 PM
I figured you two would come to the rescue! :woot:

I've already checked out some of that thread and I'll continue to read it later on. Thanks guys!

PS--Sorry for the double thread (I suppose I should have used my search tool before posting a thead...) :)

Viper-Byte
January 22nd, 2009, 03:25 PM
I just wash mine with normal car wash, with a hose on med-fine spray, just making sure to either plug the exhaust, or keep the water away from the exhaust tip, so an no water goes in.

To dry, I take it for a ride down the road and back to dry the brakes and get the worst of the water off, then use a normal car shammy to dry the rest.

Guinss
January 22nd, 2009, 03:53 PM
i use turtlewax shampoo (blue bottle), dry it off with a microfiber-cloth. Then i take a short ride, to get all the water off handlebars/levers etc. Then when its 100% dry, i use turtlewax (black wax) to get it shiny and get rid of the few water-"marks" that you cant avoid gettin.

ive read in the manual that the ninjette should not air-dry, because it damages the paintjob. Dont know if its 100% true, but it sure leaves ugly marks thats hard to get off. Black turtlewax works wonder in that area. Dunno if they got other colors for the other ninjettes. red they got, but dunno about green.

Alex
January 22nd, 2009, 03:58 PM
ive read in the manual that the ninjette should not air-dry, because it damages the paintjob. Dont know if its 100% true, but it sure leaves ugly marks thats hard to get off.

As far as I know, that's only due to the minerals and other contaminants in our water supply. Water that has much of that removed/filtered doesn't leave those drying marks.

Viper-Byte
January 22nd, 2009, 04:02 PM
I will also use this spray on way type stuff (I can't remember the name of it) once washed every now and then, gives it a waterproof coat and nice shine.

BlueTyke
January 22nd, 2009, 04:16 PM
it was once said "The only Stupid question is the one you do not ask"

Forgot who said that

CC Cowboy
January 22nd, 2009, 05:28 PM
As a head coach for both pop warner football and Jr soccer for the last 14 years I have to state what I always tell my teams, "There is no stupid question, just a stupid person asking a question".

As far as washing and detailing your bike. Wash as you would your car (as long as you wash your car correctly) Blow dry your bike with a leaf blower then wax and detail. Make sure your get in all the places that might harbor dirt or grease. If the bike is spotless it is easier to see if you have a leak somewhere. I find that it your bike looks brand new you will treat it like it was brand new. If it is dirty you treat it like you don't care about it.

If you can't wash it correctly I highly recommend a bikini wash or one of those topless bike washes. Your bike will love you for it.

xTKx
January 23rd, 2009, 08:21 AM
I just wash mine with normal car wash, with a hose on med-fine spray, just making sure to either plug the exhaust, or keep the water away from the exhaust tip, so an no water goes in.

To dry, I take it for a ride down the road and back to dry the brakes and get the worst of the water off, then use a normal car shammy to dry the rest.

i use turtlewax shampoo (blue bottle), dry it off with a microfiber-cloth. Then i take a short ride, to get all the water off handlebars/levers etc. Then when its 100% dry, i use turtlewax (black wax) to get it shiny and get rid of the few water-"marks" that you cant avoid gettin.

ive read in the manual that the ninjette should not air-dry, because it damages the paintjob. Dont know if its 100% true, but it sure leaves ugly marks thats hard to get off. Black turtlewax works wonder in that area. Dunno if they got other colors for the other ninjettes. red they got, but dunno about green.

Thanks for the tips guys! :D

xTKx
January 23rd, 2009, 08:27 AM
it was once said "The only Stupid question is the one you do not ask"

Forgot who said that

As a head coach for both pop warner football and Jr soccer for the last 14 years I have to state what I always tell my teams, "There is no stupid question, just a stupid person asking a question"....

Thanks for the support! Sometimes I feel dumb asking the questions that you guys have probably heard/answered about 10 times over and over again, but I figure if I "do it right" the first time, I won't have to go back over and spend nearly as much time fixing my mistakes...

BlueTyke
January 23rd, 2009, 08:31 AM
There is a pretty good group of understanding folks here. I doubt anyone would think any question is stupid, well bike related questions as there are stupid questions but none are stupid when pertaining to maintaining the heath and well being of motorcycle or rider.

Don't feel ashamed, scared, or otherwise intimidated. If we don't look out for each other who will?

xTKx
January 23rd, 2009, 08:39 AM
^^ And that is exactly why I love this board! ^^ Thanks Sunny!

BlueTyke
January 23rd, 2009, 08:58 AM
Any time Tony :)

Sound Wave
January 23rd, 2009, 09:38 AM
found a link that seems kind of good.
http://motorcycles.about.com/od/motorcyclemaintenanc1/ss/HowToWash.htm

xTKx
January 23rd, 2009, 04:09 PM
Nice find Gary, thanks for sharing!

archetype
January 23rd, 2009, 04:51 PM
I love the leaf blower for drying.
Also, I'm a big fan of Mother's Cleaner Wax.
And like Kkim said, never wash it when it's warm.

k-os
January 23rd, 2009, 05:34 PM
Sham Wow. You'll be saying "WOW!" every time. Not really though; I just had to say it.

Sound Wave
January 23rd, 2009, 07:58 PM
Sham Wow. You'll be saying "WOW!" every time. Not really though; I just had to say it.

lol. i actually the "billy mays" version of that. called zorbeez. i bought it and threw it in one of my closets. have no idea where it is. never even used it once.

yeah a while back, i saw a video series talking about using the leaf blower or compressed air to dry the bike. not so sure about the part about using detail spray on the seat though... i would imagine it would make it slippery.

oh found the series, here it is: http://www.monkeysee.com/play/2172-how-to-wash-a-motorcycle

oh and tony, glad i could be of some help.

aloh
January 24th, 2009, 03:01 AM
From that thread:

I just use a hose and the regular automotive detailing products i use on my own car. I usually just use a light auto shampoo and pat dry with a waffle weave microfiber towel. I only use the hose on areas like the seat, plastics, wheels, etc, and use a wet towel on the controls/gauges/sensitive areas. I plan to wax it every month or so depending on how much I ride

For "in between" cleanings I use a quick detailer spray on the paint.

Detailing is a little hobby of mine. The results always make it well worth the time spent!

Here's a pic i took after a fresh detail:

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x241/aloh874749/CIMG5511.jpg

xTKx
January 26th, 2009, 08:02 AM

LOL! :D I was so close to buying one yesterday!

xTKx
January 26th, 2009, 08:03 AM
From that thread:

I just use a hose and the regular automotive detailing products i use on my own car. I usually just use a light auto shampoo and pat dry with a waffle weave microfiber towel. I only use the hose on areas like the seat, plastics, wheels, etc, and use a wet towel on the controls/gauges/sensitive areas. I plan to wax it every month or so depending on how much I ride

For "in between" cleanings I use a quick detailer spray on the paint.

Detailing is a little hobby of mine. The results always make it well worth the time spent!

Here's a pic i took after a fresh detail:

Good lookin bike aloh, thanks for the tips.

komohana
January 27th, 2009, 07:11 PM
i've had the EX for almost 5 months now and haven't fully showered it with water and wash it like i do my other vehicles or like i used to do my Interceptor. Especially on the west side of Kauai, the water is treated and 'hard'. With the Interceptor i would wash it like any other vehicle but no matter how hard i tried i could never remove all the standing water and corrosion eventually reared it's ugly head. This time i bought myself a small air compressor to dry the bike off after i've taken a sponge & bucket to it.

aloha

Guinss
January 28th, 2009, 01:55 AM
good looking bike aloh. thats a nice color. havent seen that one before.