View Full Version : out of 1 members found this post helpful?

antiant
February 10th, 2013, 09:15 AM
I looked really hard, but I'm not finding the option where you can do this for a post, for an individual user. Do you need a certain post count or privilege to utilize that feature?

http://i47.tinypic.com/315mtl2.jpg

Alex
February 10th, 2013, 09:22 AM
Yes. :)

antiant
February 10th, 2013, 09:30 AM
Ah, makes sense, thanks.

ChaoSS
February 24th, 2013, 06:43 PM
Hmm, I was wondering about that.

So which is it?

Alex
February 24th, 2013, 06:54 PM
It has a minimum post count. Privileges go up here the more one posts. :thumbup:

Joshorilla
February 24th, 2013, 07:00 PM
It has a minimum post count. Privileges go up here the more one posts. :thumbup:

O rly?

Joshorilla
February 24th, 2013, 07:00 PM
Interesting...

antiant
February 24th, 2013, 07:06 PM
In other words, we're not speesho or worthy of love... ;__;

TYE-a0gGCnM

ChaoSS
February 24th, 2013, 07:49 PM
O rly?

Interesting...

Now that's just post spamming to get some more privileges....:cool:

Joshorilla
February 24th, 2013, 07:50 PM
Now that's just post spamming to get some more privileges....:cool:

Damn! My cunning plan has been foiled! To the angry dome!

Jiggles
February 24th, 2013, 07:51 PM
O rly?

You know how sometimes this site runs really slow or glitches for you? :rolleyes: :D

Motofool
February 24th, 2013, 07:53 PM

You guys can receive it, but cannot give love yet. :)

Joshorilla
February 24th, 2013, 07:55 PM
You guys can receive it, but cannot give love yet. :)

That sounds very "rapey"

choneofakind
February 24th, 2013, 07:56 PM
It's just a struggle snuggle.

Zaph42
July 31st, 2017, 03:08 PM
Necro thread. Revived from the dead.

I have 142 posts and I still can't like other peoples posts. Yet I have 56 likes myself.

If that many posts still counts as a newbie that you can't trust, I'm gonna yell out a big WTF. Edit just found it. 1000 posts before you can like someone. Hah, whatever.

jrshooter
July 31st, 2017, 04:15 PM
Necro thread. Revived from the dead.

I have 142 posts and I still can't like other peoples posts. Yet I have 56 likes myself.

If that many posts still counts as a newbie that you can't trust, I'm gonna yell out a big WTF. Edit just found it. 1000 posts before you can like someone. Hah, whatever.
so that button is for the people that dont ride, cause there glued the computer, its taken me over a year to get to 100 post, maybe in 10 years ill like somebody.

DEFY
July 31st, 2017, 04:55 PM
cause there glued the computer

Now now, Helpful posts don't come cheap. Sometimes a lil sacrifice is needed. Jk, its all in good fun. What you don't dream about riding while at work.

P.s. MOTM gets a request that might be able to shorten this value. Or can it??? The world may never know.

jrshooter
July 31st, 2017, 05:13 PM
Now now, Helpful posts don't come cheap. Sometimes a lil sacrifice is needed. Jk, its all in good fun. What you don't dream about riding while at work.

P.s. MOTM gets a request that might be able to shorten this value. Or can it??? The world may never know.

im just chiming in, trying to be funny, i should know better, the wife calls me a grumpy old man.

snot
July 31st, 2017, 06:21 PM
Winter is a good time to get post count up.

Zaph42
July 31st, 2017, 07:13 PM
You know I think it's great that this is a privately owned forum, unlike the sickening monetizing machine that is the group of Verticalscope forums.

But I did notice it's a little cliquey over here. The 1000 post minimum before being able to like a post is just one little way to say "you're not one of our valued members, and you never will be."

its taken me over a year to get to 100 post, maybe in 10 years ill like somebody.

Hahah, it's taken me almost 2.5 years to get to 142 posts. Hmm, let me do some rough math in my head here... about 17 years before I can like someone. Hmmm, that's not too bad after all. I'm going to start picking out my favorite posts right now! :D

MrAtom
July 31st, 2017, 07:52 PM
You know I think it's great that this is a privately owned forum, unlike the sickening monetizing machine that is the group of Verticalscope forums.

But I did notice it's a little cliquey over here. The 1000 post minimum before being able to like a post is just one little way to say "you're not one of our valued members, and you never will be.

We've had members become loved and valued within weeks of them joining. Maybe learn to type faster? I'm only at about 73 wpm and I still got there.

Dave Wolfe
July 31st, 2017, 08:54 PM
Ha. Im at 60-70 posts a yr. I dont wanna do the math for 1000.

CaliGrrl
August 1st, 2017, 12:06 AM
Huh. I guess I must talk a lot. I only joined about a year and a half ago, when I got my bike.

AwDang
August 1st, 2017, 04:57 AM
some of us are too busy riding to post :)

DannoXYZ
August 1st, 2017, 07:21 AM
Add

DannoXYZ
More

DannoXYZ
Posts!!!

DEFY
August 1st, 2017, 08:04 AM
some of us are too busy riding to post :)

And some, mostly not me, are too busy posting so others can ride.

NevadaWolf
August 1st, 2017, 09:16 AM
*waves old lady stick around*

Least you kids get the helpful posts! Back when I signed up it wasn't even a thing! We were stuck, having to go through each and every post to evaluate their worth on our own!

(looks like it took me close to 14 months to babble "a lot")

snot
August 1st, 2017, 04:25 PM

But I did notice it's a little cliquey over here. The 1000 post minimum before being able to like a post is just one little way to say "you're not one of our valued members, and you never will be."

It was a request from a MOTM to be 1000 post. So, not a clique thing but a request that was won/earned by a member. It makes since. If it was less the risk is higher for thumb down request by the fly by night members.

Try welcoming the new members, playing the picture game, etc....to gain post.

Alex
August 1st, 2017, 04:45 PM

I can see how it seems that way, but that isn't/wasn't the intent. The way the feature is used on this board isn't for a "thanks", where someone appreciates the answer that another poster gave. It was meant for those who have spent quite a bit of time here on the site (because they liked the content, the fellow users, etc.), to be able to support posts that they felt were helpful to the site. Essentially, the reasons they are here, and stick around.

A new user might be very thankful for a particularly useful post that they see. A new user might also be very appreciate of a post that is controversial/inflammatory in some way that the majority of long-time posters here might not appreciate. Just by post count, that new user is unlikely to have spent as much time here to have the background and feel for what works here and doesn't work here. There's nothing particularly smarter/better/faster/attractive/intriguing/insightful about those who have been here longer than somebody joining today. Heck, I've been here since the beginning and I'm an idiot. :) But - by being here long enough to reach that post count, and choosing to be here that long, there must be a reason or reasons why the board is worthwhile for that user to keep coming back. By inference, that same user would have a pretty good idea about what it is that keeps them coming back, and can share that perspective via a click of the "helpful posts" icon.

It was a request from a MOTM to be 1000 post. So, not a clique thing but a request that was won/earned by a member. It makes since. If it was less the risk is higher for thumb down request by the fly by night members.

Try welcoming the new members, playing the picture game, etc....to gain post.

There are certainly some variances in how hard it is to craft a post, and it is hard to value a 1-word post in the word game as compared to a detailed tech thread or ride report. But on balance, it's as reasonable a metric as any to identify those who spend the most time here and contribute the most to the site.

There are currently 162 members on the site who have hit that 1000 post minimum, so while it is a subset of the whole, it's not a particularly tiny amount that have felt it useful/worthwhile to do so. YMMV. :thumbup:

VaFish
August 1st, 2017, 05:26 PM
im just chiming in, trying to be funny, i should know better, the wife calls me a grumpy old man.

If you are a grumpy old man how can you be a Jr Shooter?

jrshooter
August 1st, 2017, 05:32 PM
If you are a grumpy old man how can you be a Jr Shooter?years ago I use to teach kids how to shoot uspsa pistol matches, and the name just stuck.

JohnnyBravo
August 15th, 2017, 02:32 PM
I got 1k posts an MOTM before I got my term limit thingy passed; I rode everywhere, all the time, but my productivity at work suffered :p

Abu_Mishary
August 18th, 2017, 01:19 AM
I got 1k posts an MOTM before I got my term limit thingy passed; I rode everywhere, all the time, but my productivity at work suffered :p

Dun forget, thread reviver! :rotflmao:

JohnnyBravo
August 19th, 2017, 05:02 PM
:rotflmao:Dun forget, thread reviver! :rotflmao:

Abu_Mishary
August 22nd, 2017, 06:22 PM
Huh. I guess I must talk a lot. I only joined about a year and a half ago, when I got my bike.

I believe we are about the same age in this forum and yet you managed to get the "like" button. The force is strong in you.

jrshooter
August 22nd, 2017, 06:45 PM
im glad we brought this back up. ive gotten more dislikes than likes, from a thread about a like button. go figure.

A.J.
August 28th, 2017, 10:10 AM
im glad we brought this back up. ive gotten more dislikes than likes, from a thread about a like button. go figure.

Some people abuse it, unfortunately. They think it's cute. 95% of the posters and 99% of the mods here are fantastic people. So don't let the roughly 5 posters and 1 mod jack ass you off this message board.

jrshooter
August 28th, 2017, 10:26 AM
Some people abuse it, unfortunately. They think it's cute. 95% of the posters and 99% of the mods here are fantastic people. So don't let the roughly 5 posters and 1 mod jack ass you off this message board.

oh dont worry, ive taken all this in jest, i hope all the button pushers are jesting too.

Zaph42
August 28th, 2017, 10:55 AM
There's a thumbs down too? So what people are worried about is that new member a-holes will down vote legitimate posts as a vindictive punishment to people they don't like?

Solution: set the upvotes to 100 posts, but leave the downvotes at 1000 posts. Is that doable?

On a local forum I'm on, they have thank and spank buttons. Most of the spanks are just in jest and having fun. If anyone comes in the forum and makes trouble, the ban hammer comes down pretty quick anyway. No real need to have a minimum number of posts for anything.

Alex
August 28th, 2017, 11:38 AM

I think I appreciate the sentiment, but this is a board that doesn't have any mods, so I do wonder if we're still talking about the same site.

Solution: set the upvotes to 100 posts, but leave the downvotes at 1000 posts. Is that doable?

Sadly, no. That particular vbulletin mod has a simple filter to allow access, and can only be tied to post count. That's why there isn't more nuance in allowing people who have been here longer but with fewer posts, which I can do with access to some of the other areas of the board.

Zaph42
October 23rd, 2017, 04:37 PM
There's a thumbs down too? So what people are worried about is that new member a-holes will down vote legitimate posts as a vindictive punishment to people they don't like?

On a local forum I'm on, they have thank and spank buttons. Most of the spanks are just in jest and having fun. If anyone comes in the forum and makes trouble, the ban hammer comes down pretty quick anyway. No real need to have a minimum number of posts for anything.

Thanks for the down votes JohnnyBravo on some of my posts here and elsewhere.

Alex, I don't think I said anything here that warrants a down vote. What this shows is that some people with OVER 1000 posts are abusing the system.

I would like you to consider getting rid of the upvote/downvote system completely.

DannoXYZ
October 23rd, 2017, 04:43 PM
needs.....

DannoXYZ
October 23rd, 2017, 04:44 PM

more

DannoXYZ
October 23rd, 2017, 04:44 PM
... posts !!! :)

Alex
October 23rd, 2017, 04:52 PM
http://smithmeadows.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/P4250007.jpg

Abu_Mishary
October 23rd, 2017, 05:40 PM

We have this types everywhere. The "yes-I-am-the-biker-God-type" which only listen to themselves, talk to themselves and see only themselves. They always talk-c*ck when meeting up and suck at corners.

Zaph42
October 24th, 2017, 11:17 AM
I'm pretty sure this is enough posts.

http://www.haynescedarcompany.com/images_wood/large/wire_stays.jpg

Triple Jim
October 24th, 2017, 11:20 AM
Cool hat, it makes you look young.

DannoXYZ
October 24th, 2017, 11:37 AM
AAHhahhahahahahh. !!!

MrAtom
October 24th, 2017, 11:39 PM
http://i.qkme.me/3q3m2m.jpg

choneofakind
October 28th, 2017, 03:44 PM
http://i.qkme.me/3q3m2m.jpg

https://i.imgflip.com/1ez94i.jpg

https://i.pinimg.com/474x/f2/13/3a/f2133a2acd9ba7e4d59d8caad8911fad--teacher-memes-the-walking-dead.jpg

JohnnyBravo
January 29th, 2018, 11:42 PM
:rotflmao: how'd I miss this much

cbinker
January 30th, 2018, 06:08 AM
very carefully.

Ram Jet
January 30th, 2018, 01:55 PM

TYE-a0gGCnM

We love you, but you just don't post enough. But it doesn't make you a bad person.

Bill

verboten1
January 30th, 2018, 08:59 PM
:rotflmao::nahnahnah:

:angel:

JohnnyBravo
March 15th, 2018, 12:07 AM
Where did I lose the downvote all the posts thread??? :p