View Full Version : Identify the generation this switch is from!

choneofakind
February 10th, 2013, 04:36 PM
Hey all,

I think this is the right place for this thread. Alex, feel free to move it if needed.

I'm looking to identify which generation/country of ninjette this right hand switch belongs to:
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=893&pictureid=10080

I would like to track it down so that I can use it with my bixenon retrofit with LED Halo. It would allow me to run nothing, just the halo, or the headlight and would look completely OEM. It would also simplify my wiring.

For more info, I got the picture from this site. I read through the thread, but saw no answer of where the control came from:
http://www.kawasa***************/forum/12-ninja-300-appearance-modifications/761-bkmoto-hid-bixenon-projectors-4.html

Help on this is appreciated. If you have a control like this on your ninjette, please let me know.

choneofakind
February 10th, 2013, 05:12 PM
Sorta answering my own question here:

I think this is from an Indonesian 08-12 250R. Can anyone confirm this for me?

CC Cowboy
February 10th, 2013, 05:13 PM
Just a wild guess but I'd say Rangoon (Yangoon) Burma.

DaBlue1
February 10th, 2013, 05:14 PM
Looks like it's an on/off switch for the headlight, which is not an option on US bikes. We have a mandatory ON all the time requirement. You may have to check with someone from Indo/Thai to see which 250 it came off of.

choneofakind
February 10th, 2013, 05:19 PM
wayanlam, I haven't seen you online in a while. Does this look familiar to you?
psych0hans maybe? Does this look like the Indian bike?

Just a wild guess but I'd say Rangoon (Yangoon) Burma.

:lol:

EDIT: yeah, thanks DaBlue1. I just wanted to know where it's from before I started shooting off PM's and mentions to random members.

Alex
February 10th, 2013, 05:56 PM
I think this is from an Indonesian 08-12 250R. Can anyone confirm this for me?

That would be my guess.

DaBlue1
February 10th, 2013, 06:43 PM
Saw a parts drawing that looks close.

http://www.arcticcatpartshouse.com/oemparts/a/kaw/500b78f0f8700223e4798c94/handlebar

psych0hans
February 10th, 2013, 07:31 PM
Could be an Indian bike... All Indian bikes have the on-off option.

choneofakind
February 10th, 2013, 08:06 PM
Thanks Blue, I'll look into those more and see how they're wired. I'd still rather have a legitimate Kawi part though.

Hans, do you have a link to a part supplier that sells India-spec kawasaki parts? Idk how to find foreign-spec parts. I've looked before :o

psych0hans
February 10th, 2013, 08:23 PM
Hans, do you have a link to a part supplier that sells India-spec kawasaki parts? Idk how to find foreign-spec parts. I've looked before :o

If this is what you need it's from a yamaha r15. The Indian ninja does not have an on-off switch either, as its not really an Indian bike, it's only assembled here. And yes, I can definitely source it for you if you need... Let me know.

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3172/2805554310_775a3db426.jpg

DaBlue1
February 10th, 2013, 08:28 PM
.... I'd still rather have a legitimate Kawi part though.

Is not a 2010 Kawasaki FURY 125/FURY 125R legit?

choneofakind
February 10th, 2013, 08:46 PM
Oh, Ha! I meant ninja 250 part :lol:

CZroe
February 10th, 2013, 08:55 PM
I know that the Indonesian bikes arent the only one with the strange "city light" between the two main bulbs, but I imagine that it's for any region with a "city light."

Some aftermarket reproductions copy those parts, like this headlight:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/08-09-10-11-12-KAWASAKI-EX250-Ninja250R-front-head-light-house-new-/261015567297?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cc5bd7bc1

psych0hans
February 10th, 2013, 09:06 PM
I know that the Indonesian bikes arent the only one with the strange "city light" between the two main bulbs, but I imagine that it's for any region with a "city light."

It's in my ninja too... Tho I have it disabled and wired the cfl angel eyes to it instead.

choneofakind
February 10th, 2013, 09:13 PM
^^ that's what I want to do with my LED halo. Is your city light on all the time? I want to find the legit Kawi 250R switch because it matches the bike.

Jap-spec bikes possibly? EU spec bikes?
akima, does your right-hand control have the on/off switch that also controls the city light?

psych0hans
February 10th, 2013, 09:21 PM
^^ that's what I want to do with my LED halo. Is your city light on all the time? I want to find the legit Kawi 250R switch because it matches the bike.

akima, does your right-hand control have the on/off switch that also controls the city light?

Yes, the city light is on all the time and thus the halos... Tho the problem for me is the headlights are on all the time too, so the halos don't stand out as much.

choneofakind
February 10th, 2013, 09:24 PM
Lame. That leaves me back at square one looking for that switch in the picture :lol: Maybe it's the Indonesian bikes.

psych0hans
February 10th, 2013, 09:46 PM
Lame. That leaves me back at square one looking for that switch in the picture :lol: Maybe it's the Indonesian bikes.

I highly doubt that's an original Kawasaki part...

CZroe
February 10th, 2013, 09:48 PM
I highly doubt that's an original Kawasaki part...

It just has to "look" OEM. ;)

That said though, I don't doubt that it could be an original Kawi part. Some regions do have laws mandating an on/off switch (the exact opposite of our laws that mandate they be always-on).

CZroe
February 10th, 2013, 09:56 PM
OK, I started reading and I learned that Cambodia is one of the countries where it is illegal to drive with your lights on during the day. It's a start!

choneofakind
February 10th, 2013, 10:09 PM
It's in that video with the guy who compares the new 250 to the 08-12 250 by tapping everything.

and it's on every bike I can find a picture of from Indonesia where the controls are in the picture. At least, I think it is. I'm getting tired. That can't be coincidence. It's gotta be an OEM part at least somewhere in the world...

http://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-6Q4hFqB/0/M/i-6Q4hFqB-M.jpg

http://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-JWs3zZf/0/M/i-JWs3zZf-M.jpg

I think this one's Wayan's bike:

http://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-zZ28nPW/0/L/i-zZ28nPW-L.jpg

http://i848.photobucket.com/albums/ab44/wandervoegel/IMG00313-20130110-1102_zpsf47ce877.jpg

I'm going to ask this user about his, because both his bikes have them:

http://i1082.photobucket.com/albums/j370/trfixie/IMG00417-20120706-0902_zps79bda45e.jpg

DaBlue1
February 10th, 2013, 11:34 PM
What is the probability that the particular part you are looking for on the 250 is shared amongst a few of Kawasaki's many other bikes? Maybe in another country?

CZroe
February 11th, 2013, 12:02 AM
What is the probability that the particular part you are looking for on the 250 is shared amongst a few of Kawasaki's many other bikes? Maybe in another country?

Probably very high.

choneofakind
February 11th, 2013, 07:26 AM
^^ That likely is high.

I contacted Green Rocket (the user with those 2 250R's that both have big wheels) and he says it definitely is an OE part on the Indonesian 250R.

Next step is to get one imported :)

choneofakind
February 11th, 2013, 07:27 AM
^^ That likely is high.

I contacted Green Rocket (the user with those 2 250R's that both have big wheels) and he says it definitely is an OE part on the Indonesian 250R.

DaBlue1
February 11th, 2013, 08:17 AM
^^ That likely is high.

Ask him what the part number is. You may find that it is the same part that's on the 125 Fury which is sold in the Philipines. It also has a part number
HOUSING-ASSY-CONTROL,RH 46091-0155. There is also an U.S. POC.

Mailing Address

Babbitt's Online
3712 Airline Road
Muskegon, Michigan 49444

Phone: (231) 737-4542
Fax: (231) 733-9617
Email: orderinfo@babbittsonline.com

choneofakind
February 11th, 2013, 09:15 AM
Thanks for the headsup!! if it's the same part, I'll just order it from a US dealer or parts supplier. I'll go ask about that now before I forget.

After a little searching, looks like the part is about $70. I hope the part I'm looking for is the same one. I might just go for the one on the Fury. I bet it's the same thing.

wayanlam
February 11th, 2013, 06:54 PM
been absent from here a while yeah, lol

havent been doing anything to my bike lately so nothing to report really~

havent read the whole thread but to confirm, yes the right side controller has a switch to trun the lights off completely, as well as just only turning on the pilot light or headlight + pilot light.

here everyone who has a HID drives around in the day (sometimes even at night...) with just the angel eyes on, he he... with the flexibility to then turn on the HID when needed.

could easily buy this here~

W.

alex.s
February 11th, 2013, 06:57 PM
Hey all,

I think this is the right place for this thread. Alex, feel free to move it if needed.

I'm looking to identify which generation/country of ninjette this right hand switch belongs to:

I would like to track it down so that I can use it with my bixenon retrofit with LED Halo. It would allow me to run nothing, just the halo, or the headlight and would look completely OEM. It would also simplify my wiring.

For more info, I got the picture from this site. I read through the thread, but saw no answer of where the control came from:
http://www.kawasa***************/forum/12-ninja-300-appearance-modifications/761-bkmoto-hid-bixenon-projectors-4.html

Help on this is appreciated. If you have a control like this on your ninjette, please let me know.

this is a photo of a 2013 indonesian ninja 250fi.

choneofakind
February 11th, 2013, 07:01 PM
this is a photo of a 2013 indonesian ninja 250fi.

Yes, but the owner mentioned using a right hand control other than the stock one, which is why I asked. :thumbup:

akima
February 13th, 2013, 01:31 AM

nope. just throttle, brake, starter button and the red cut off switch on that side.

The only light controls I have are the indicators and a switch that toggles between full/high beam and low beam headlights.

ZackoFF96
February 13th, 2013, 02:45 AM
Hey all,

i can confirm you thats an indonesian 2013 ninja 250.. but of course he changed the lamp switch to the 2008 ninja 250..

the 2013 ninja 250 doesnt have light switch because the new regulation about how lights should be turned on even in the daylight. damn government :mad:

CZroe
February 13th, 2013, 10:44 AM
i can confirm you thats an indonesian 2013 ninja 250.. but of course he changed the lamp switch to the 2008 ninja 250..

the 2013 ninja 250 doesnt have light switch because the new regulation about how lights should be turned on even in the daylight. damn government :mad:
If I recall correctly it's been that way since the 1970s in the USA, which is exactly why our switches don't look like that. Most cars here also have DRLs ("daytime running lights") that are always on but they are extra lights that don't bleed MTBF hours from your primary bulbs.

I see the government's reasoning, but it is a bit different when we are burning through our single main bulb's life expectancy when we don't absolutely need it, increasing the risk of not having it when we do need it. With DRLs in a car, you will not be reducing the life expectancy of the important lights so they are more likely to be available when you truly need them (dawn, dusk, overcast, rain, and night) and they will fail far less frequently. Even then, we don't have all the redundancies a car has. :(

I think the best way would be to add a bit of redundancy by having a really bright and broadly distributed extra "day light" that's always on when the main light is off. Like your "city light," there's no need to aim it high/low. I've had to stop and switch my high-beam bulb to the low-beam socket at night at least twice now. That's not even an option for many bikes, including the EX250F, and it's not typical road-side service: the manual says you have to take the upper and lower fairings off to change it! Someone who hasn't done it before probably can't figure it out blindly.

choneofakind
February 13th, 2013, 11:23 PM
Most cars here also have DRLs ("daytime running lights") that are always on but they are extra lights that don't bleed MTBF hours from your primary bulbs.

They aren't always extra bulbs. Some are, but not all

Of the new cars I've looked at, most have been either the high beam bulb (if it's a 2-bulb setup) or the high beam filament (if it's a 1-bulb setup) that's being run on 8V instead of 12V. This leads to really yellow headlights in cars that have H4 bulbs.

Besides, DRL's in cars aren't legally required. There's studies that suggest that DRL's in cars are reducing their effectiveness in motorcycles. It used to be that only motorcycles had DRL's, so it was really easy to ID a bike. Now, we have the same issue during the day as we do at night; we look like a car with a headlight out.

Anyhow, to get semi back on topic, I realize that I'll be flirting with the DRL law by riding around with an LED halo instead of my low beam, but hey, it's still something. I just don't want to run the HID all the time. I also want to be able to turn it off when I start the bike at 1:00 am to head home, or when I pull into my driveway once I get home. Let's not forget how cool Halos look :) The only good thing about the fluted lens on the pregen is that it kinda acts like a diffuser for LED's and the halo looks like a smooth ring, not just a bunch of points of light
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=893&pictureid=9775