View Full Version : Urbane InTech™ Inlet Management System

Gregular
January 25th, 2009, 12:11 PM
Got this little beauty through the post this weekend... DIY & Dyno results to follow :)

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=32&pictureid=318

1 end connects to the airbox, then goes through the unit out the T piece and connects to the linked vacuum tubes/take offs below the throttle bodies.

From the manufacturers website....

Performance - Urbane InTech™ delivers enhanced performance in terms of both power and the way the engine delivers its power. Higher BHP and a smoother power curve combine to deliver exceptional output for the user.

Fuel Economy - Urbane InTech™ is usually able to deliver significant fuel economy in both urban and race use of an engine. Each engine and vehicle often has individual characteristics which benefit from fine tuning, but tests have consistently delivered improvements in fuel economy and savings for all vehicle uses.

Lower Emissions - Time to get rid of the power sapping cat! Urbane InTech™ delivers instant and sometimes staggering reductions in emissions. Most effective in reducing the emission of Hydrocarbons and Carbon Monoxide, InTech™ delivers these benefits from the moment that the engine is started, unlike the catalytic converter that needs to reach and maintain its operating temperature to remain effective.

Adjustable Engine Braking - A unique additional benefit for bikes is the reduction in rear wheel lock or chatter, providing a much cheaper option to a slipper clutch.

Urbane InTech™ was developed to provide a completely new approach to the management of the air fuel feed into the internal combustion engine. In simple terms, the Urbane InTech™ is a sophisticated ultrasonic valve that possesses unique qualities to manage the air fuel feed balance via the engines vacuum source.

Employing the use of leading edge materials and manufacturing, the unit is able to withstand the most demanding engine conditions and speed, including high performance racing engines. The InTech™ unit is also adjustable to enable operation to be finely tuned to each engine and therefore maximise the benefits. The Urbane InTech™ is engineered and finished to the highest standards of quality and performance

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Y017jVmLYi8

HKr1
January 25th, 2009, 01:48 PM
200 GBP for that baby?

Y017jVmLYi8

Ninja007
January 25th, 2009, 05:24 PM
im interested! I'll be awaiting the DIY and pics! :happy80:

Gregular
January 26th, 2009, 07:30 AM
200 GBP for that baby?

Yup, well £198.03 to be exact.

But it would appear that there are 2 companies. If you google "urbane intech" the first few links will be

www.urbaneperformance.co.uk
&
www.urbaneracing.co.uk

apparently www.urbaneperformance.co.uk is the designers website and having spoken to him on the phone today, seemed like a really nice guy and was very helpful even though I bought his product from the other site

www.urbaneracing.co.uk which I'm led to believe, belongs to a previous business partner with surplus stock and is undercutting him by almost £50.

To top it off my kawasaki dealer is now talking end of Feb, maybe March for my bike to turn up :jaw:

Man, they were promising me end of Jan, at this rate I might as well skip the ninja and look for 1 of these :wheelchair:

So it's gonna be a while before I can do any DIYs and dyno charts I'm afraid.
I'd like to be able to tell you guys to get in quick before that surplus stock is sold but at the moment I have no way of knowing if the stock he's selling for alot less, is A ok.
Dang it! I hope I have not been sold a dud. The inventor reassured me it should be ok from the description I gave him, but even so, words like "ex business partner" are ringing alarm bells for me.
Maybe I've got a steal, maybe I've bought a dud. Gonna have to wait at least a month to find out.

Ninja007
January 26th, 2009, 08:43 AM
I hope all turns out well for ya, cross your fingers! :noidea:

kkim
January 26th, 2009, 10:16 AM
Greg... no used bikes on the market there?

Gregular
January 26th, 2009, 01:34 PM
I hope all turns out well for ya, cross your fingers! :noidea:

Cheers bud, everything looks great (aside from the missing bike) but it's the internal workings of this valve that I cannot check on and maybe I've stumbled on a great deal, but I tend to be a tad sceptical till proven otherwise. Ex-business partners undercutting the designer with surplus stock sounds too good to be true. I wish I had my bike to test it out, but instead I'm gonna have to suffer with the unknown for at least a month.
I've emailed pictures to the designer and stressed my concerns. He was very kind and understanding on the phone. I'm hoping that he'll help me to confirm if this unit is ok. I'd even pay the difference between the designers price and the ex business partner to confirm and/or repair if necessary.

Time will tell :)

And eventually I'm going to be able to post some interesting dyno results alongside some other mods that I'm keeping very hush hush for now.

Greg... no used bikes on the market there?

I haven't looked and if I'm honest I kinda have my heart set on buying a new one. I've been reading alot on engine break in and if reports are correct, then there can be a significant performance/reliability difference. So just for once I'd like to break an engine in and build on that bond with my bike from the start.

There's that connection with a bike that you don't get with a car and I guess being the guy to break her in builds on that feeling of man and machine as one on the road.

But I have contacted a number of other dealerships today and if they have a quicker delivery time then I'm gonna write off the deposit with my existing dealer and go with them.

kkim
January 26th, 2009, 01:53 PM
In the US, at least, if you did not sign anything saying the deposit is non refundable, they usually will return it. Even when there is a written agreement, places will return the deposit in cases like these where they can't meet the proposed deadline.

Good luck!

VeX
January 26th, 2009, 05:20 PM
Wow a 5% power increase is a pretty impressive claim. I can't wait to see the results on this. I dunno if I could justify paying almost $300 though :p

Gregular
January 26th, 2009, 10:36 PM
Wow a 5% power increase is a pretty impressive claim. I can't wait to see the results on this. I dunno if I could justify paying almost $300 though :p

Yeah, but it's not just the hp increase. There's improved efficiency, reduced emissions & variable engine braking.

If all goes well, I'm gonna be in the 40's for hp.

Either way, the wait for this bike has been killing me and I'm frightened to add up what my impatience has cost me. Hell, the security chain on its own cost £150

Full Yoshi Carbon exhaust, Urbane Intech, Power Commander, 6K HID kit, Skidmarx double bubble screen, Skidmarx hugger, Skidmarx headlight cover, RG Racing tail tidy, RG racing crash protectors, RG Racing bar end sliders, RG Racing heated grips, Hot Bodies LED fairing indicators, Oxford nano LED indicators, Trojan indicator mirrors, 4Kam wireless rear view camera, Acumen Cat 1 alarm, Tapeworks reflective lightning kit, Galfer brake lines, fryedchickens led footpeg brackets, spin-on oil filter adapter and countless smaller items

and I've yet to pay for the sato rear set, woodcraft clipons, quik turn throttle and ohlins shock.

I think that it's fair to say on the evidence that I conform wholeheartedly to the strereotype that some men never grow up, their toys just get more expensive. Who'd have thunk it? :D

I can't wait to get down and dirty with my little 250. Maybe I'll get some good news from other dealers today. But I fear that a new 250 is rarer than rocking horse **** in the UK right now

kkim
January 26th, 2009, 10:45 PM
But I fear that a new 250 is rarer than rocking horse **** in the UK right now
lol... sawdust? :lol:

Alex
January 27th, 2009, 02:30 AM
If all goes well, I'm gonna be in the 40's for hp.

Tell you what Gregular, I'll spring for the whole ninjette.org community to fly across the pond to your hometown and witness the spectacle that is your bike if you get it into the 40's for hp on a reputable dyno. :D

250 racers spend $5000+ on motor work alone to get it to 34/35 hp at the rear wheel. 40+ at the rear wheel isn't going to happen without forced induction or a criminally optimistic dyno. :2cents:

Viper-Byte
January 27th, 2009, 02:42 AM
I must say, I am with Alex on this one. There is no way you are going to get 40+ rwhp out of this bike with the mods listed there and without throwing some serious cash at it. I doubt you will even be able to with any amount of work on the current engine without turning to NOS or forced induction (I would think this is possible, unsure as I have not seen it done)

If you can genuanlly get 40+rwhp out of the bike without resorting to the means above then I will eat my words! :D

Hmm, NOS, now THAT is an idea :eek: :D

Gregular
January 27th, 2009, 08:11 AM
Yeah, I guess I'm being hopefully optimistic and I have no idea what performance figures to realisticly expect. As long as each performance mod provides some increase I'll be happy.

But one thing for sure, the dyno will be a reliable dyno as my bike is going directly to the UK branch of Dynojet for them to do some Research & Development on it. So I would expect the results to be fairly accurate.
I'll be posting 3 dyno results

-at stock
-with full yoshi and custom mapped power commander
-with urbane intech fitted

The best news of all is that my dealer has now quoted next week as a possibility and I have found a different dealer with them in stock but for slightly more (I have a depsoit on the 2008 price) so my dealer has till the end of the week to give me confirmation of delivery and then I'm gonna swallow the extra cost and switch dealers.

Guinss
January 27th, 2009, 08:27 AM
are you planning on mapping on the dyno?

I've thought about buying a powercommander, but cant find any maps on the web.

Gregular
January 27th, 2009, 09:30 AM
Yup, there's no maps to download for the power commander because Dynojet still need to do R&D on a FI 250r.
I've been talking to Dynojet and have my bike booked in for that very purpose. Everything is arranged, the bike just needs to turn up and the date can then be confirmed.
Hang 10 and there'll be some maps for it soon :)

Guinss
January 27th, 2009, 09:41 AM
Yup, there's no maps to download for the power commander because Dynojet still need to do R&D on a FI 250r.
I've been talking to Dynojet and have my bike booked in for that very purpose. Everything is arranged, the bike just needs to turn up and the date can then be confirmed.
Hang 10 and there'll be some maps for it soon :)

great! :) cant wait till you get your bike. ;) would like to see those dyno-results
theres not really a lot of info about the FI on the web yet.

noche_caliente
January 27th, 2009, 09:53 AM
Tell you what Gregular, I'll spring for the whole ninjette.org community to fly across the pond to your hometown and witness the spectacle that is your bike if you get it into the 40's for hp on a reputable dyno. :D

250 racers spend $5000+ on motor work alone to get it to 34/35 hp at the rear wheel. 40+ at the rear wheel isn't going to happen without forced induction or a criminally optimistic dyno. :2cents:

Sweet! I love London! Alex, if by some miracle he manages to pull it off, I'm holding you to this! :D

Alex
January 27th, 2009, 10:31 AM
Sweet! I love London! Alex, if by some miracle he manages to pull it off, I'm holding you to this! :D

I wouldn't rush to the passport office just yet. :rotflmao:

noche_caliente
January 27th, 2009, 10:45 AM
I wouldn't rush to the passport office just yet. :rotflmao:

You don't think that a few hoses can nearly double the hp? Geeez.... you don't think much of our little bikes, do you? :p

Gregular
January 27th, 2009, 12:18 PM
Guys,

Just to be clear, 40 was a hopeful figure that I threw out there. I have no idea what to expect. I'm as much in the dark if not more so than you all.

You're telling me that racer's spend 5K plus to get 34/35 at the rear wheel, so that gives me an idea of what is possible with serious investment. I doubt that my mods will beat or reach this.

I should have stuck to facts.

Fact - I'll have my bike in standard configuration on a dyno at Dynojet.
Fact - They'll be fitting a full Yoshimura exhaust and Power Commander.

now I was going to remove the snorkel and fit a K&N filter, but having read this article http://www.rc51.org/airfilt.htm I am not so sure

You're thoughts on this would be appreciated. I cannot afford to do infinite dyno runs on multiple configurations of air filters

Fact - They'll be doing some R&D and I will have a custom map and dyno results
Fact - I'll have the Urbane Intech fitted and have it on the dyno one last time

Fact - I'll post all the dyno run results in a dedicated thread in the tech area.

So all in all, I'm really looking forward to my bike turning up, really really looking forward to spending some time stripping her down and doing some DIYs on any items that I may have and have not been covered yet (I'm thinking the RG crash protectors and tail tidy at least but another guy is posting pics of the tail tidy already so maybe he'll beat me to it) and I am really really really looking forward to finding out what will happen when my bike goes to Dynojet.

Let the good times roll :)

Viper-Byte
January 27th, 2009, 01:03 PM
Greg, I do hope you get good results with your mods. :thumbup:

I just think that it is best to approach these sort of things with an open mind as to what you will get (expect nothing) and that way when you see the results, you will be surprised and happy with them. Not disappointed and unhappy as you were expecting more, that is what I try to do anyway. :2cents:

Guinss
January 28th, 2009, 03:09 AM
hey Greg, anyhow theres not alot of people who have gotten a powercommander on their 250R yet, or even any performance mods. Have only seen one FI-250R with full yoshi, and that was without powercommander. So its impossible to tell what rwhp you will get. 40rwhp as someone other mentioned, sounds a little optimistic though, but 40 on the crank, is not impossible? :)
FI is an advantage over carb, so now that there is a possibilty to "rejet" the FI's i think its gonna be faster than tuned carb-bikes.

Just wondered, when you fit a full yoshi exhaust, what are done with that CO-measurer-thing, that is connected to the stock exhaust? its called "lamba-sonde" here in norway, dunno in uk :P you understand what i mean? Its placed where the exhaust goes from 2 to 1.

Gregular
January 28th, 2009, 05:58 AM
hey Greg, anyhow theres not alot of people who have gotten a powercommander on their 250R yet, or even any performance mods. Have only seen one FI-250R with full yoshi, and that was without powercommander. So its impossible to tell what rwhp you will get. 40rwhp as someone other mentioned, sounds a little optimistic though, but 40 on the crank, is not impossible? :)
FI is an advantage over carb, so now that there is a possibilty to "rejet" the FI's i think its gonna be faster than tuned carb-bikes.

Just wondered, when you fit a full yoshi exhaust, what are done with that CO-measurer-thing, that is connected to the stock exhaust? its called "lamba-sonde" here in norway, dunno in uk :P you understand what i mean? Its placed where the exhaust goes from 2 to 1.

Howdy,

Well the guy that mentioned 40hp was me :hitself: :lolsign::rotflmao:
My mistake :sorry:

But it will be interesting to find out what the end result is. There isn't much factual info out there for FI 250r's and especially the intech gizmo...... so hopefully I'll see gains at each step and others will be able to make more informed decisions from the data I post

Besides I'm gonna be happy with my bike at stock, ecstatic when I get to pimp it out with my goodies and over the moon once its been to Dynojet
Should be an interesting few weeks ahead :partytime20:

I think the item you're referring to is the catalytic converter.
As far as I know, that will be removed once the full exhaust system is fitted and hopefully the ever so slightly mystic urbane intech will impart one of it's claimed benefits.

Time will tell. I'll try to provide as much info as possible along the way (personal riding experience before and after, dynos etc)

Guinss
January 28th, 2009, 07:34 AM
I'll try to provide as much info as possible along the way (personal riding experience before and after, dynos etc)

very good ;)

the thing im referring to is connected to a wire, so i was thinking it was an electric component. a measure unit for a/f-mix or something :P but im just guessing

CRXTrek
January 28th, 2009, 11:17 AM

very good ;)

the thing im referring to is connected to a wire, so i was thinking it was an electric component. a measure unit for a/f-mix or something :P but im just guessing

You will need this oxygen sensor reinstalled when you change exhaust systems for the Fuel Injected bikes.

Gregular
January 28th, 2009, 12:12 PM
You will need this oxygen sensor reinstalled when you change exhaust systems for the Fuel Injected bikes.

Cool, so that must mean I can use Dynojet's Oxygen Sensor Eliminator Kit so that power commander mappings can take effect?

http://www.dynojet.co.uk/powercommander/images/o2_elim.jpg

And some shock news which I'm sure kkim will frown upon :faint:

My dealer phoned me today, they had a 250r delivered and I had first choice....

It was Green :doh:

I couldn't do it.Half a year waiting for a black one, I can't buckle now. I swear they are torturing me. Apparently it said black on the box, opened it up and behold a big greenie!

CRXTrek
January 28th, 2009, 12:19 PM
Yeah, I passed on a Blue:hellokitty: and a Green :leghump:to get the Black that i wanted

kkim
January 28th, 2009, 12:21 PM
...that's just wrong, on sooo many levels. :tsk:

Viper-Byte
January 28th, 2009, 12:32 PM
...that's just wrong, on sooo many levels. :tsk: You said it... :D

Guinss
January 28th, 2009, 01:04 PM
I couldn't do it.Half a year waiting for a black one, I can't buckle now.

you did the right thing! :thumbup:

black was 'impossible' to get hold of over here, but the green ones were like 4-5 bikes ready for delivery at every dealer. atleast when i last checked (and bought)

headshrink
February 8th, 2009, 10:40 AM
I'm pretty sure I saw those Urbane thingies on QVC.

Gregular
February 8th, 2009, 12:18 PM
you did the right thing! :thumbup:

Well, the bike is here in the country and I have the reg

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=32&pictureid=462

but..... its been delivered to the wrong store and they are currently snowed in so cannot deliver :smow:

Meanwhile these little goodies came through the post for me to fiddle with

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=32&pictureid=464

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=32&pictureid=465

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=32&pictureid=466

It's so close now :drool:
DIY's and dynos to follow shortly

Gregular
February 14th, 2009, 07:14 AM
Well, she's here at last! :dancecool:
Just 2 miles on the clock and she's going for a facelift

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=32&pictureid=505

Space is a bit cramped in the garage, but I'll be sure to do a DIY for the R&G crash protectors and the wireless bike camera at least (I think the rest of my stuff has either been covered already / is dead easy / or included instructions cover it)

Once she's been pimped, all I need to do is clock up 1000 miles to run her, switch to full synth, then it's off to dynojet for dyno runs and exhaust/urbane intech etc

Hardest bit so far has been getting the damn tank protector on straight, with uneven lighting shining off the curves of the tank and my ocd for getting things just right it's been a nightmare, I still don't think its on straight - let it go Greggy boy lol

More interesting stuff to follow :D

noche_caliente
February 14th, 2009, 11:05 AM
looking good! congratulations!

Guinss
February 14th, 2009, 11:48 AM
gratz, you got your black bike! :D

the wireless camera looks nice, is it possible to record with it?

kkim
February 14th, 2009, 11:54 AM
Congrats, Greg. I know you must be like a kid in toy store being as you've waited for what must have seemed like forever. :D

Some better pics when you can... perhaps w/ a flash?? on those black bikes, it's so hard to see detail. :p

OldGuy
February 14th, 2009, 01:28 PM
Nice looking bike Greg. It will be fun to follow your upgrades. Question, what kind of rack are you going to install to get that golf bag to the links. Maybe something on the left side to mirror the muffler? :rolleyes:

headshrink
February 14th, 2009, 02:35 PM
Personally I'm watching the camera/monitor install... I've been waiting for someone to do this on a 250r. I don't know how you are planning to mount the monitor, but I think right above the cluster would loog great!

Gregular
February 15th, 2009, 09:02 AM
Congrats, Greg. I know you must be like a kid in toy store being as you've waited for what must have seemed like forever. :D

Some better pics when you can... perhaps w/ a flash??

Yes , I'm well stoked! :D I now have 2 loves in my life.
Progress has been slow as I'm glad to say I got to spend time with my other love and she takes priority every time :love:

But yeah, better pics to follow (especially for the DIYs) and that was with a flash lol. Maybe I'll have to try with the garage open for extra light but its freezing outside over here.
What doesn't help is the limited space so I cant get good angles. I'll sort something out and that's a hawaii 5 0 promise :thumbup:

on those black bikes, it's so hard to see detail. :p

the inherent problem of owning black, even when on a stand they are too quick for the camera! :rofl:

Nice looking bike Greg. It will be fun to follow your upgrades. Question, what kind of rack are you going to install to get that golf bag to the links. Maybe something on the left side to mirror the muffler? :rolleyes:

Holy Columbo skills! From that small glimpse, you could tell that was a golf bag! But like the idea, should make it alot quicker round the course :)

gratz, you got your black bike! :D

the wireless camera looks nice, is it possible to record with it?

Maybe, I haven't looked into it yet.
Apparently the visibility with my indicator mirrors is worse than stock and I like checking my mirrors, I do it alot in my car. Really miss the rear view mirror on the bike, so that's the driving force behind this, well that plus I don't want to be turning my head on the motorway too much.

But once I have next months pay in through the post and I've worked my way though all the mods so far (I have to get though adding what I have so far first as I'm finding it quite hard with the limited space to plan it all and minimise the times I remove panels/modify wiring etc) I will be adding this recorder (it comes in a package with a camera)

http://www.4kam.com/onboard_camera_store/sqimage/helmet_cam_dvr_penny.jpg http://www.4kam.com/onboard_camera_store/bike_camera/bike_camera_dvr_r1.jpg

and they have a video switch to allow multiple cameras http://www.4kam.com/onboard_camera_store/sqimage/bike_camera_mini_2_cam_switch.jpg so maybe its possible, time will tell ;)

Personally I'm watching the camera/monitor install... I've been waiting for someone to do this on a 250r. I don't know how you are planning to mount the monitor, but I think right above the cluster would loog great!

Yup, right above the cluster is where it will go, fingers crossed. This screen is the main reason I went for the dark smoke double bubble. It should help to cut out any glare - the screen does come with a tiny sun shield and has adjustable contrast brightness etc but every bit helps and I've had to use laptops out on the airfield - even slightly sunny days make that an almost impossible task.
I want to try and shield it as much as possible from water too as the unit doesn't appear to be sealed, water will deffo get into it around the buttons if submerged so I'm gonna experiment with some clear silicon which should be flexible enough to allow the buttons to operate and help prevent any water getting in. All to come in the DIYs

Will be a couple of weeks all in at least.
I'm trying to do the rear of the bike first, but I now have to wait for a delivery of my 2nd tail tidy as I was a bit heavy handed and cracked it by overtightening some of the bolts :(
that and by the time I worked out how to use the rim tape applicator, I had enough left for only 1 side of 1 wheel lol. I'll be damned if I'm using the applicator the way they intended, dunno, instructions were non existent, but it came out perfectly with no wobbling or creasing
So I'll be posting a DIY on that too :D

Sound Wave
February 15th, 2009, 06:26 PM
hey, greg. you don't have any american coins to use as a size reference do you? lol. or how about the kawasaki key?

that camera thing is a good idea. can't see things behind me too easily.

BoogieQ
April 30th, 2009, 01:38 PM
So... what happened here?

Rocketman
April 30th, 2009, 01:53 PM
I'm guessing you ran out of money ?

Gregular
May 1st, 2009, 11:16 PM
So... what happened here?

I'm guessing you ran out of money ?

Lol. No it's all good, I've just had to wait to run the bike in.

After talking to the manufacturer of the intake, he recommended fitting it after the exhaust system and power commander.
The 250 is fully run in and it's booked to go to Dynojet for R&D on the 14th May. They'll fit the power commander and exhaust and give me dyno results - before and after. I'd imagine that mappings would be available to download from their website shortly after. And I'll post dyno results for any that are interested (and finish my DIYs - just been having so much fun on the 250 sorry)
Then I can get the intake fitted and I'll update with pics and another dyno - I'm guessing this will be around end of May/June time