View Full Version : I am now a 300 owner

Yakaru
February 26th, 2013, 09:24 PM
Everyone, meet my new 300 "Saturn". I may slip and call her another name from time to time and if you get it then congrats, you're a girly nerd :D (that's a good thing). Give me a bit of time to compose my thoughts, I rode her back to my hotel since I'm not up to riding a brand new bike 300 miles quite yet.

S1att3r
February 26th, 2013, 09:25 PM
Congratulation. That's a nice bike sometimes I wish mine was black.

BlueHairSar
February 26th, 2013, 09:37 PM
Niiiice. You two should share a drink in memory of Hotaru (after you've arrived at your destination for the night, of course).

Congrats, girl.

EternalNewb
February 26th, 2013, 09:46 PM
Congrats!! I'm pretty sure I get the name, though I was more into Gundam Wing in my younger days... *cough*

Yakaru
February 26th, 2013, 09:47 PM
So this may be a bit haphazard, and I'll update it as I ride the bike more, especially if anything changes.

The first thing you notice is the power band. It's not more power, it's just power being available -- my 250 used to not get going till 4k and then REALLY got going around 9k RPMs. The 300 starts from word go. It's quite nice, actually.

The clutch is super sensitive -- I just barely have to touch it to go from disengaged to fully engaged. I will need to see how this changes once I get Pazzos on board (aside: I may start a thread named something like "Ninja 250 mods that work on the 300" so we can document those things as we find them)

The giant tach is super nice. The digital speedo not so much. There's two reasons for this: the first is that the speed gauge is much lower than the gauges were on my 250; I have to 'look down' much more than I did. Because it's digital it's also harder to get a 'rough' look to know about how fast you're going -- you either can read it or you can't.

The lights on the dash are pretty dim. I hope I can put something brighter in for day riding. The different lights for left and right signals is a nice small touch.

The gas tank is SUPER DUPER nice. Laying on top of this tank is one thousand times better than my 250. Flipside: the seat isn't as nice, I'll have to get a Corbin. The bike is very slightly taller and wider -- this makes the seat discomfort just a bit more noticable to a shortie like me. To 'reverse' up a slope I need to get off and walk the bike instead of being able to do it while riding.

The extra power at the top is quite nice. I noticed I could usually be 1, sometimes 2 gears lower than I would have been on my 250. I also trivially ran with the fastest cars, instead of having to go whole-open throttle. After this I'm pretty sure the desire for a bigger bike for long freeway trips will be gone, we'll see how I feel after going back home to Vegas to know for sure.

The kickstand sucks. It's a new shape, it's more awkward for me to get out and I just don't like it.

Appearance wise I still prefer my 250, but there are a few design elements I care for. I may photoshop my 'dream fairings' at some point :P

That's what I remember off the top of my head. Anyone have any questions? I'll try my best to answer them. Oh! My out-the-door price was under $5400 for what that's worth, but I need to go to Nevada to register so that part of the price is forthcoming.

csmith12
February 26th, 2013, 09:58 PM
http://i53.tinypic.com/p2gck.jpg

psych0hans
February 26th, 2013, 09:58 PM
Congratulations!!! ��

Aggrotech
February 26th, 2013, 10:04 PM
To 'reverse' up a slope I need to get off and walk the bike instead of being able to do it while riding.

have you adjusted the preload yet? I believe its on lv2 or even 3, unlike the 250's straight from the dealership. My friend was complaining about that when she got her 300, first thing i did was looked at the preload and fixed that up & it solved everything for her :)

Yakaru
February 26th, 2013, 10:08 PM
have you adjusted the preload yet? I believe its on lv2 or even 3, unlike the 250's straight from the dealership. My friend was complaining about that when she got her 300, first thing i did was looked at the preload and fixed that up & it solved everything for her :)

excellent thought, when I got my 250 the dealer said they'd go and do everything to account for my tiny size that was in spec (e.g. no lowering link) -- I bought this so fast I don't think they had the time. I'll look at this when I have some daylight.

tfkrocks
February 26th, 2013, 10:11 PM
Congrats on the 300! The Corbin definitely makes a huge difference in comfort. I spent probably 5~6 hrs in the saddle last Sat. and my butt wasn't sore at all. I actually get a sore butt faster driving the car now haha.

I thought you were crazy thinking the lights on the dash are dim, but then I remembered that I was running with one working dash bulb in my pre-gen 250 (bought it like that and never changed anything). Anyway, I think you're gonna have fun on the 300 :D

Blystr842
February 26th, 2013, 10:15 PM
Congrats! It looks sick. My gf is thinking of trading her 250 for a 300 in the next 6 months or so.

geeker
February 26th, 2013, 10:16 PM
I used to worry about the speedometer, but after a while, you'll use the tach to know where your speed is at if necessary. I love having a clock on the gauge cluster now. The turn signal lamps on the dash are a little dim for daylight but you get accustomed to that too. I haven't noted any discomfort with the seat, but I'm 5'9". The 250 would wear on me after a few hours. I can ride the 300 for hours on end without issue. I hated the kickstand at first, but I realized it takes up less floor space in my garage than the 250 did. It's partly from the kickstand and partly from where the mirrors are mounted. Enjoy the new ride!

Btw, there is already a thread about what's interchangeable between the new-gen 250 and the 300.

Yakaru
February 26th, 2013, 10:18 PM
Btw, there is already a thread about what's interchangeable between the new-gen 250 and the 300.

Link meeeeeeeeeee :D

Byakkotai
February 26th, 2013, 10:26 PM
Congrats on the new bike and nice write-up on 1st impressions/ride!

geeker
February 26th, 2013, 10:35 PM
Link meeeeeeeeeee :D

Well crap, now I can't find it.

I know brake levers and rear sets are the same. I think the air filter is too.

tfkrocks
February 26th, 2013, 10:39 PM
http://www.scribd.com/doc/121374823/Ninja-300-quick-n-dirty-parts

This one is good. However, the guy who writes it does keep it updated and the link will change when he does. There are quite a few things that are the same.

Yakaru
February 26th, 2013, 10:39 PM
I've heard my Woodcrafts will work, that sounds like my Pazzos will be the same, and I've heard (but not confirmed) that it would use the same pod filter that the 250 does (does that work? I don't know fuel injector tech that well but I remember the pods matched right up to the carbs).

antiant
February 26th, 2013, 10:42 PM
Yakaru - http://www.kawasa***************/forum/9-ninja-300-parts-accessories/722-ninja-250-300-confirmed-parts-interchangeabilty.html

Congrats on your new bike. :)

tfkrocks
February 26th, 2013, 10:42 PM
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=115601

Fun fact: this link was in the list that I linked to ;) That list might be more convenient to look through though.

geeker
February 26th, 2013, 10:47 PM
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=115601

Fun fact: this link was in the list that I linked to ;) That list might be more convenient to look through though.

That's the thread!

Alex
February 26th, 2013, 11:27 PM
Congratulations! :thumbup:

DreamN
February 27th, 2013, 01:02 AM
congrats! saw the vid of your crash. glad you weren't seriously injured.

the 300 sure is a tempting bike.

sharky nrk
February 27th, 2013, 05:31 AM
Congrats

Motofool
February 27th, 2013, 06:47 AM
...........The clutch is super sensitive -- I just barely have to touch it to go from disengaged to fully engaged. I will need to see how this changes once I get Pazzos on board.........

The clutch and the brakes should improve with use.

Finally a positive note for the last days !

Many congratulations and safe miles of joy !!!

NinjetteNewfie
February 27th, 2013, 07:20 AM
Congrats on the new ride!!! Black bikes are so damn sexy:drool:

rojoracing53
February 27th, 2013, 08:43 AM
Looks like you got this just in time for the area-p group buy :)

lgk
February 27th, 2013, 08:59 AM
Congrats.

Yakaru
February 27th, 2013, 06:35 PM
So, day two.

The bike is now my own. Stickers have been applied :D

More impressions:
- The tail section is way better organized. I can fit more back there and it's not as big a pain to get the rear seat back on.
- After riding at noon I can say the lights are WAY WAY WAY too dim during the daylight. I couldn't see my turn signal indicator at all and I was specifically looking at it (at a stop in a safe location).
- Still hate the kickstand

S1att3r
February 27th, 2013, 07:12 PM
Nice.:thumbup: I forgot how ugly those rear fenders are and how ugly those stock cans are on a black bike.

Yakaru
February 27th, 2013, 07:14 PM
Nice.:thumbup: I forgot how ugly those rear fenders are and how ugly those stock cans are on a black bike.

AreaP and Fender Clean up are coming soon (wish the group buy would hurry up :P March is going to be soooo sloooooow)

BlueHairSar
February 27th, 2013, 07:15 PM
I like the purple. Purple rims next? :thumbup:

Yakaru
February 27th, 2013, 07:16 PM
I like the purple. Purple rims next? :thumbup:

Looking for a powder coater and then yep :D
Also getting purple spools, purple on my Pazzo Adjustables... I keep looking for a purple chain but can't find one.

S1att3r
February 27th, 2013, 07:17 PM
AreaP and Fender Clean up are coming soon (wish the group buy would hurry up :P March is going to be soooo sloooooow)

Ya I know but I need all of March to save up for the gb.

SMman
February 27th, 2013, 07:17 PM
Great looking bike. Its nice to see you back on 2 wheels. I hope you enjoy your new 300 :happy110:

S1att3r
February 27th, 2013, 07:18 PM
Looking for a powder coater and then yep :D
Also getting purple spools, purple on my Pazzo Adjustables... I keep looking for a purple chain but can't find one.

Scotchbright and spray paint.

Yakaru
February 27th, 2013, 07:20 PM
Is that safe to do to your chain?

S1att3r
February 27th, 2013, 07:21 PM
Is that safe to do to your chain?

Have no idea but it would be purple.:p

Hunsy34
February 27th, 2013, 07:22 PM
I can't wait for the black Ninja's to hit the east coast I am going to get one. Congrats and let me know if you find a solution to the dim gauge cluster.

S1att3r
February 27th, 2013, 07:25 PM
http://www.ekchain.jp/feature/index.html

They say their chains come in purple but Motorcycle Super Store doesn't sell them.

S1att3r
February 27th, 2013, 07:26 PM
https://www.denniskirk.com/520-mvx-supersport-series-drive-chain.p119934120.prd

Here you go found this.

Yakaru
February 27th, 2013, 07:28 PM
http://www.ekchain.jp/feature/index.html

They say their chains come in purple but Motorcycle Super Store doesn't sell them.

I can't help but feel like I've seen that picture before... but where...
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=115946
:)

Yakaru
February 27th, 2013, 07:29 PM
https://www.denniskirk.com/520-mvx-supersport-series-drive-chain.p119934120.prd

Here you go found this.

*gasp* EEEEEEEEEEEEEE
And that chain fits the 300? :D :D :D

...somebody convince me not to take off a brand new, perfectly good stock chain. Please.

Z300
February 27th, 2013, 07:37 PM
Gratz on the 300!!!

mfresh
February 27th, 2013, 07:39 PM
*gasp* EEEEEEEEEEEEEE

...somebody convince me not to take off a brand new, perfectly good stock chain. Please.

Use that money towards something more useful like an Area-P exhaust. :thumbup:

Also grats on the new bike!

S1att3r
February 27th, 2013, 07:48 PM
*gasp* EEEEEEEEEEEEEE

;)Keep stock for spare.:D

tfkrocks
February 27th, 2013, 07:53 PM
I would try to convince you otherwise, except that now I want one of those colored chains -_-

Edit: On second thought, geez so expensive for something that's gonna get grimy quickly. You could probably buy a few other purple farkles instead.

S1att3r
February 27th, 2013, 07:56 PM
I plan on getting red eventually.

Yakaru
February 27th, 2013, 08:57 PM
I would try to convince you otherwise, except that now I want one of those colored chains -_-

Edit: On second thought, geez so expensive for something that's gonna get grimy quickly. You could probably buy a few other purple farkles instead.

I am open to suggestions! :D

tfkrocks
February 27th, 2013, 09:02 PM
More purple stickers? Purple bolts! Or save up for a corbin!

geeker
February 27th, 2013, 09:03 PM

Pin striping for the wheels and fairings? Aftermarket seat with purple accents? Purple anodized bolts? I wouldn't bother with a colored chain. You are just going to keep it coated with brown chain wax anyway, right? :D

Yakaru
February 27th, 2013, 09:04 PM
More purple stickers? Purple bolts! Or save up for a corbin!

I'm definitely getting a Corbin this summer.
http://www.corbin.com/kawasaki/kn313fr.shtml

From looking at this I see two ways to do it -- the purple color is vinyl so probably best if the seat itself isn't made of that. I could go with the purple welts or go hardcore and make the sides vinyl as well, but that might be 'too much'. I wish they had a visualizer :( Any thoughts?

Yakaru
February 27th, 2013, 09:07 PM
Pin striping for the wheels and fairings? Aftermarket seat with purple accents? Purple anodized bolts? I wouldn't bother with a colored chain. You are just going to keep it coated with brown chain wax anyway, right? :D

I'm thinking of going a step further and powder coating the whole wheel :D

Momaru got his blue wheels from here: http://hp-powdercoatings.com/ (you can see them here: http://www.ninjette.org/forums/album.php?albumid=309&pictureid=2949 ) -- but if anyone has a good recommendation of a place, esp. in the SoCal/Nevada area I'm all ears.

tfkrocks
February 27th, 2013, 09:09 PM
Oh yeah, and purple rim tape! For the corbin, I personally would go with just the purple welts. It gives just enough color to look nice with everything and definitely won't be overwhelming. The materials they chose as default for the seat looks really nice (black carbon fiber leather top, black asphalt vinyl sides). Also, if the purple doesn't match too well with the other purple, it won't be so obvious if there's less of it.

choneofakind
February 27th, 2013, 09:09 PM

Sintered pads. Tires. Clipons and rearsets. purple SS brake lines. Area P quiet core + fuel tuner - snorkel. Bixenon retrofit (with purple shrouds). purple bolts, purple rim tape.

That's the order I would do things. I personally wouldn't do a colored chain until you have to replace it anyways.

Yakaru
February 27th, 2013, 09:12 PM
Sintered pads. Tires. Clipons and rearsets. purple SS brake lines. Area P quiet core + fuel tuner - snorkel. Bixenon retrofit (with purple shrouds). purple bolts, purple rim tape.

That's the order I would do things. I personally wouldn't do a colored chain until you have to replace it anyways.

I've got the clipons (like the stickers I just put on Saturn, I had them for the 250 and never got them on) and am on the order for the AreaP. My plan was to to replace the whole airbox with the pod filter like I did on my 250, unless that's a bad idea. The purple shrouded bixenons is also tempting, was planning to do that this summer before the big road trip. I assume I'll need a blowtorch to get the stock bars off?

Is the sintered pad/SS line that much of an upgrade/worth it? They are on my list but way low at the moment.

SMman
February 27th, 2013, 09:13 PM
I'd stick with a solid black Corbin or a neutrel color welt in case you ever want to sell it down the road. Its kind of like that blue Corbin seat that took awhile to sell on here. I would have snatched it up if it were solid black.

I bought a used black Corbin for my 636 with a dark grey welt. The welt on the Corbin for my SV650S was red and it was an easy sell because of all the red bikes sold. Both of mine were made with the "Corbin fiber" on the seating area and black leather on the sides.

Purple will be tough sell but if you aren't worried about resale, go for it. It will look good.

tfkrocks
February 27th, 2013, 09:14 PM
Oh great, now I'm thinking about getting parts powder coated in the future. Bike forums are both a blessing and a curse hahaha.

Yakaru
February 27th, 2013, 09:15 PM
I'd stick with a solid black Corbin or a neutrel color welt in case you ever want to sell it down the road. Its kind of like that blue Corbin seat that took awhile to sell on here. I would have snatched it up if it were solid black.

I bought a used black Corbin for my 636 with a dark grey welt. The welt on the Corbin for my SV650S was red and it was an easy sell because of all the red bikes sold. Both of mine were made with the "Corbin fiber" on the seating area and black leather on the sides.

Purple will be tough sell but if you aren't worried about resale, go for it. It will look good.

I'm the "run it till it dies" type -- I don't plan on selling Saturn ever. So purple time get down! :D

Since I'm going to Corbin myself I may contact them and maybe send a color sample, they may be able to match better than their stock colors if I do that.

Yakaru
February 27th, 2013, 09:16 PM
So for Rear Sets I've heard good things about these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rear-sets-Kawasaki-NINJA-250-/230843685718?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item35bf5b1b56

I'm thinking maybe buy in silver and get powder coated with the wheels to match? Or would that be too much and I should just get black?

tfkrocks
February 27th, 2013, 09:16 PM
Is the sintered pad/SS line that much of an upgrade/worth it? They are on my list but way low at the moment.

Yes, definitely. Had them on my 250 and I miss it.

Yakaru
February 27th, 2013, 09:18 PM
Yes, definitely. Had them on my 250 and I miss it.

Okay, consider it elevated. I've heard some say you should just go sintered front and others say to do it to both wheels -- any opinion there?

tfkrocks
February 27th, 2013, 09:18 PM
I'm the "run it till it dies" type -- I don't plan on selling Saturn ever. So purple time get down! :D

Since I'm going to Corbin myself I may contact them and maybe send a color sample, they may be able to match better than their stock colors if I do that.

You should totally hit me up when you go to Corbin!

SMman
February 27th, 2013, 09:19 PM

I have stainless front brake lines on all of my bikes because I prefer the feel and fact that they won't expand. Its especially nice for the track but you"ll definitely notice the difference on the street. I have Galfer on the 250 and 636 and Goodridge on the DR-Z400SM. I'll have to check to see what came with the CRF. I have seen purple lines and they would go well with your theme.

tfkrocks
February 27th, 2013, 09:19 PM
Okay, consider it elevated. I've heard some say you should just go sintered front and others say to do it to both wheels -- any opinion there?

It's not as important on the back wheel since most of the stopping power is in the front anyway. Some people might say it's overkill on the back and could cause it to lock up easier. It's really preference based on how you ride.

choneofakind
February 27th, 2013, 09:20 PM
I assume I'll need a blowtorch to get the stock bars off?

Nah, but you'll need a 1/4" drill bit to just drill the heads off those screws. Then the bar ends will literally fall right off. Work smarter, not harder :)

I can't speak well enough of doing a proper bixenon retrofit. The light is just amazing, and it's so well controlled. It's fantastic for seeing at night.

Read through Alex and old3's reviews of the brakes to judge for yourself on the braking situation. According to Alex, using sintered pads makes them feel more like the 250R brakes. According to old3, the SS lines make another improvement. He then went further and mounted a GSXR caliper. I know for sure on my pre-gen that the difference was substantial, both in absolute braking power and feedback. From my experience, totally worth it.

Yakaru
February 27th, 2013, 09:23 PM
You should totally hit me up when you go to Corbin!

Momaru is getting his bike shipped out and we're doing the trip this May/June. I just updated that thread with our latest route here:
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?p=643423#post643423

I'll try to let everyone know when we're heading out for potential meet and greets :D

CZroe
February 27th, 2013, 09:26 PM
Congrats!! I'm pretty sure I get the name, though I was more into Gundam Wing in my younger days... *cough*

Yeah, when you were done Sailing to the Moon. ;)

SMman
February 27th, 2013, 09:27 PM
So for Rear Sets I've heard good things about these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rear-sets-Kawasaki-NINJA-250-/230843685718?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item35bf5b1b56

I'm thinking maybe buy in silver and get powder coated with the wheels to match? Or would that be too much and I should just get black?

Since you're asking for opinions, mine would be to go black because it might be too much purple.

As for the brakes, I've only upgraded my fronts. The 636 has stainless lines at both ends but only because the guy threw the rear line in for free.

Looking forward to the progress on your bike. Seems like you are going to connect with it as much as your dearly departed 250.

Yakaru
February 27th, 2013, 09:41 PM
I have stainless front brake lines on all of my bikes because I prefer the feel and fact that they won't expand. Its especially nice for the track but you"ll definitely notice the difference on the street. I have Galfer on the 250 and 636 and Goodridge on the DR-Z400SM. I'll have to check to see what came with the CRF. I have seen purple lines and they would go well with your theme.

If you call purple a theme. :P

Awesome though. I pulled up Galfer's site and they don't have anything in the purple/violet range for lines :(

Yakaru
February 27th, 2013, 09:54 PM
Since you're asking for opinions, mine would be to go black because it might be too much purple.

As for the brakes, I've only upgraded my fronts. The 636 has stainless lines at both ends but only because the guy threw the rear line in for free.

Looking forward to the progress on your bike. Seems like you are going to connect with it as much as your dearly departed 250.

The plan is to replace the pegs on that with these: http://www.oppracing.com/product_display/4749-lightech-folding-foot-peg-rftr72/ -- I could keep the pegs black and make the rest of the rearset purple or only paint the pegs as additional options. Once again, I wish I had a visualizer :P

tfkrocks
February 27th, 2013, 09:55 PM
Brake lines with purple fittings here
http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=28849

Yakaru
February 27th, 2013, 09:58 PM
Brake lines with purple fittings here
http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=28849

Purple connector but it doesn't look like I can get the line itself purple.

... Sorry, I'm picky. >.<

SMman
February 27th, 2013, 10:00 PM
Info about stainless steel brake lines in the link below. It mentions replacing brake lines every 4 years. I read somewhere else about it being a good idea to upgrade to stainless by 2 years. Its not something you have to run out and do tomorrow but you would still notice the difference. I used all my bikes (except the CRF450R) with the stock lines for at least 2 years before upgrading the lines. The article mentions Galfer, Goodridge, and Spiegler as the top 3 brands. I've also seen Hel but I only have experience with the first two on the list.

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Stainless_steel_brake_lines_upgrade

Looks like the brake lines from the 250 fit the 300. I didn't read all this:

http://www.kawasa***************/forum/9-ninja-300-parts-accessories/274-stainless-steel-brake-lines.html

I definitely saw purple lines for the 250 on eBay quite some time ago when I was shopping. I forget the brand name but will let you know if I come across them again. I ended up going with clear Galfer.

Yakaru
February 27th, 2013, 10:04 PM
If 250 lines will work...

Do these look like they're of good quality?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/KAWASAKI-EX250-08-11-STAINLESS-STEEL-BRAIDED-CUSTOM-FRONT-REAR-BRAKE-LINES-/320926545580?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4ab8b676ac&vxp=mtr

geeker
February 27th, 2013, 10:06 PM
I think there are cheaper options out there. But as usual, I can't think of the website right now. :rolleyes:

SMman
February 27th, 2013, 10:07 PM
HEL make them in purple but no idea what they are like:

http://www.brake-lines.co.uk/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=9124

Never heard of the ones you posted the link to on eBay but could be good. I paid $50 for my front Galfer.

Yakaru
February 27th, 2013, 10:24 PM
Looks a bit cheaper from their website direct:
http://www.coremoto.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=CBLK2001&CartID=1

Is there any reason I should get a longer rear line than the stock 250? Is the 300s any longer? Would I need to for the woodcraft clip ons? Any other mods I may do?

geeker
February 27th, 2013, 10:35 PM
http://www.cyclebrakes.com/

SMman
February 27th, 2013, 10:36 PM
Core Moto offer the option of longer rear lines for bikes with extended swingarms. It seems like they cater to drag bikes and are a relatively new company with at least one unhappy customer (4 pages on an R1 forum if you're bored, I didn't read it all):
http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=341577

You will not need longer lines, front or rear. I have Woodcraft clip-ons on my 250.

I would probably stick with the big name brands but that's just me.

Yakaru
February 28th, 2013, 12:38 AM
I'll give it some thought before I pick who to order from. Picking because of color alone would be vain... but I'm kinda vain so :P

Let's see... just off the top of my head things to do (this may repeat a few items):
- Clip On Bars (check, Woodcraft 250 set compatible)
- Rear Sets (check, 250 sets are supposed to be compatible)
- Sprocket Swap -- I know on the 250 this was a great freeway mod. I've heard the Sprockets on the 300 are different teeth counts already. I wonder if this would be worth it. From what I can tell (it's hard to find) the default 300 is 14/42. Maybe 15/42 would be good?
- SS Brake/Clutch lines
- Pazzo Adjustable Levers
- Windscreen (Any word when Zero Gravity will have stuff for the 300?)
- Area P Exhaust (and requisite FI programming)
- Swap to Pod Filter (K&N R-0990 for the air box swap and 62-1340 for the crank case)
- Rip out the California Stuff cause it is silly
- Emissions Block Off Plate (anyone know if the 250 version will work on the 300?) -- http://www.slingshotracing.net/catalog/kawasaki-08-09-10-ninja-250-250r-emission-block-off-plate-p-204.html for reference
- Fender Eliminator
- Headlamp Swap
- Get Suspension Dialed in (stock parts/adjustments only for now)

The "later" list:
- Better tires
- Powdercoat Wheels
- Purple chain
- Second set of Wheels for track (assuming I love track)

... I think I may be crazy.

Tigerpaw
February 28th, 2013, 12:39 AM
- After riding at noon I can say the lights are WAY WAY WAY too dim during the daylight. I couldn't see my turn signal indicator at all and I was specifically looking at it (at a stop in a safe location).

It's like the lens is "smoked" or tinted. Very weird choice by Kawasaki.

That being said...I quickly got used to it.

SMman
February 28th, 2013, 12:58 AM
Wow! That's quite a list of mods. If I were in your shoes, I'd ride the 300 the way it is and spend all that money on a track bike instead. Granted, I've never left my bikes stock and spent too much modding them, but I did do it over time. I've had the 636 for 9 years and 400SM for 6 years. Try the track as planned and go from there. It is very addictive and can get expensive, but is worth every penny.

Yakaru
February 28th, 2013, 01:02 AM
Wow! That's quite a list of mods. If I were in your shoes, I'd ride the 300 the way it is and spend all that money on a track bike instead. Granted, I've never left my bikes stock and spent too much modding them, but I did do it over time. I've had the 636 for 9 years and 400SM for 6 years. Try the track as planned and go from there. It is very addictive and can get expensive, but is worth every penny.

Plan isn't to do them all at once :P Just wanted a list. Plus a lot of these are actually 5 minute mods (block off plate, pazzo levers).

S1att3r
February 28th, 2013, 05:56 AM
15/42 is great on the 300. Plus the fender eliminator on the 300 is super easy the stock fender simply unbolts.

YamiLionheart
February 28th, 2013, 06:08 AM
Congratulations! You made a great choice.

Guessing you couldn't resist the pew pew laser cat eyes? :P

http://i.imgur.com/Nt1xTXF.png

S1att3r
February 28th, 2013, 06:14 AM
If you wanted some super cheap purple you could always paint your windscreen.

Yakaru
February 28th, 2013, 10:03 AM
Congratulations! You made a great choice.

Guessing you couldn't resist the pew pew laser cat eyes? :P

http://i.imgur.com/Nt1xTXF.png

Laser Cat Eyes are known to cause cancer in the State of California, so I'll have to install them later ;)

Yakaru
February 28th, 2013, 10:10 AM
If you wanted some super cheap purple you could always paint your windscreen.

hahaha, no thanks :) I actually made the mistake of getting the dark smoke on my 250 screen and realized afterwards it was too dark, I may not look through it a lot but it made me not want to lay as low on the tank as a safety precaution -- I'm thinking ZG Clear Sport Touring, if it comes out.

S1att3r
February 28th, 2013, 10:21 AM
Ya I have a friend who painted his black, it looks good but I'll never do it to mine.

Yakaru
February 28th, 2013, 05:41 PM
Getting Sintered pads and preload adjusted tomorrow morning. At the same time putting a hitch on my Fit so I can tow Saturn back to Nevada for registration.

SMman
February 28th, 2013, 05:57 PM
Not liking the braking like others have mentioned? Make sure they give you the "old" pads back. I worked at Mazda for a couple of years and we were told to not fit trailer hitches on our Mazda 2 and 3 models. Is your Fit rated for towing? If not, be aware that any problems it might cause won't be covered under warranty. Sorry to be a downer, just letting you know.

Yakaru
February 28th, 2013, 06:05 PM
Not liking the braking like others have mentioned? Make sure they give you the "old" pads back. I worked at Mazda for a couple of years and we were told to not fit trailer hitches on our Mazda 2 and 3 models. Is your Fit rated for towing? If not, be aware that any problems it might cause won't be covered under warranty. Sorry to be a downer, just letting you know.

The US manual says it isn't designed to tow, but the same model is rated 1000 lbs everywhere else in the world. I think it's that americans just hear 'you can tow' and treat it like a V12 truck. I'm also going to use the hitch for a bike rack.
Here's some details on towing with the Fit: http://www.fitfreak.net/forums/729708-post7.html

Oh, as for the braking -- I haven't had a problem with the brakes, but I've barely ridden the bike at all; just that it was the only thing explicitly called out as something I should do so I thought I'd get it out of the way.

Yakaru
March 1st, 2013, 06:47 PM
Progress update: Installed HH pads on the front and adjusted the preload. :D

S1att3r
March 4th, 2013, 04:58 PM
Progress update: Installed HH pads on the front and adjusted the preload. :D

What preload setting are you using?

Yakaru
March 4th, 2013, 05:37 PM
What preload setting are you using?

2, If I recall correctly. The shop did it for free :) -- we did the whole shebang, measuring from neutral, to unloaded, to with me on the bike and got it dialed in.

S1att3r
March 4th, 2013, 05:44 PM
2, If I recall correctly. The shop did it for free :) -- we did the whole shebang, measuring from neutral, to unloaded, to with me on the bike and got it dialed in.

lol if thats the rear the 300s come on #2 from the factory. Ive tried 1,2, and 3 but I bumped it back down to 2. On 3 any decent but I would come off of the seat.

S1att3r
March 4th, 2013, 05:50 PM
On a side note if I got a black bike I'd name it Razgriz. Kudos if you get that one.:thumbup:

Yakaru
March 4th, 2013, 05:54 PM
lol if thats the rear the 300s come on #2 from the factory. Ive tried 1,2, and 3 but I bumped it back down to 2. On 3 any decent but I would come off of the seat.

I think it was, we actually reset it and went through the settings but honestly it feels the same as before and that would make sense if it comes on 2 from the factory.

250rr
March 4th, 2013, 06:20 PM
Nice bike, Yakaru! :thumbup:

Yakaru
March 4th, 2013, 06:25 PM
Nice bike, Yakaru! :thumbup:

Thanks, I'll definitely post more pics as she gets made pretty :D

tnr4
March 14th, 2013, 07:53 PM
Loving the purple theme. Since I'm pretty much unwilling to spend money on cosmetic mods, I'll have to live vicariously through you artsy folks. ;)

On the 15t sprocket: SO GOOD. I was just riding home tonight thinking about how much better the bike is like this. Not only do you get a usable first gear, but 2nd and 3rd gears feel so much meatier. Although I'm sure the change is objectively small, the bike subjectively 'feels' like a bigger bike to me. Being able to pull longer through each of the gears with a bigger spread of power is just really nice. I also found myself staying in 5th much more, and really just using 6th as on overdrive for when I hit the open interstate. Overall, best mod I've ever done to a bike. :thumbup:

Yakaru
March 14th, 2013, 08:01 PM
So for those not following -- I have found my dream bike. sadly I am not half as hot as Chloe Mortez.

S1att3r
March 14th, 2013, 08:28 PM
Is it strange one of the very first things I noticed was the massive chicken strips on that rear tire?

250rr
March 14th, 2013, 08:30 PM
Is it strange one of the very first things I noticed was the massive chicken strips on that rear tire?

Yes. :p

choneofakind
March 15th, 2013, 08:20 AM
So for those not following -- I have found my dream bike. sadly I am not half as hot as Chloe Mortez.

Don't worry, if you rode that bike, no one would even notice you.

It's like dating a supermodel; fantastic for you when it's just the two of you, but everyone ignores you in public because of your sexy escort. :p Purple Panigale takes the cake, no matter who the rider.

tfkrocks
March 31st, 2013, 01:40 PM
So I have what started out as a blue oil cap, but it turned purple. Any chance you'd be interested Yakuru? :p

Yakaru
March 31st, 2013, 01:43 PM
WANT! :drool: