View Full Version : Ninja 250 Idle Adjustment - Los Angeles

krolinked
February 27th, 2013, 07:13 PM
Is there anybody local to me(los angeles Area) who has the knowhow to properly tune my ninja 250? I've about given up on trying to adjust all the idle screw crap, my bike still wont run properly.

Going to take it to the mechanic but would rather have it done by somebody who knows exactly how to do it.

Motofool
February 28th, 2013, 06:16 AM
:bump:

xaple
February 28th, 2013, 06:50 AM
Did you turn the little knob on the left side of the bike on accident? its a little hose and at the end has a knob that looks like a star with like 8 sides. It changes the idle.

xaple
February 28th, 2013, 06:55 AM
Here is the knob i am referring to. What were you doing when it started idling improperly?
http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/7467/img06481k.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/534/img06481k.jpg/)

csmith12
February 28th, 2013, 07:21 AM
Turning the knob is easy enough and acceptable idle ranges are from 1k to 1.5k rpms. Question though.... Will your bike hold a steady idle? Is it time for a carb cleaning maybe?

StephenA
February 28th, 2013, 11:29 AM
Turning the knob is easy enough and acceptable idle ranges are from 1k to 1.5k rpms. Question though.... Will your bike hold a steady idle? Is it time for a carb cleaning maybe?

this and possibly a sync.? my bike had a verrry low idle ( like 100 to sub 1000) and i tore the carbs out and cleaned them. now with adjusting the screw i have it around 1300 to 1700 approx. depending on various conditions. i know that's a big gap but i have yet to sync them which should fix it.

alex.s
February 28th, 2013, 12:17 PM
i think he means pilot jet air screw. hey chris call Kevin2109 he has tuned many a 250 carb

csmith12
February 28th, 2013, 12:18 PM
I think your right alex.

Kevin2109
February 28th, 2013, 01:44 PM
Start from the top and work down to the bottom, thats normally my method. So start with your main jets, do those feel correct? Meaning, does the bike pull hard to redline or does it have some hesitation? If this is the case, what is the hesitation like? Stuttering or just a flat line?

Next is the needles, do you feel they are adjusted correctly? They dont effect the top end like the jets do, more of the mid range of the RPM band.

Next is the idle mixture screws, make sure both sides match. They will help a little with the consistency of the engines idle, but they help more with the bikes ability to go back to idle. So, blip the throttle, what happens? Does your RPM hang, or shoot back to what its set at? Or does it shoot back, and dip below your idle settings then slowly climb back up to idle?

Then sync them, the 2 bottle methode is perfect for this and cost like $6 to make the tool

If you start from the top and work your way through the bottom then everything should be perfect by the time you are done with syncing your carbs. Hope this is legible... And helps :lol:

alex.s
February 28th, 2013, 03:05 PM
Start from the top and work down to the bottom, thats normally my method. So start with your main jets, do those feel correct? Meaning, does the bike pull hard to redline or does it have some hesitation? If this is the case, what is the hesitation like? Stuttering or just a flat line?

Next is the needles, do you feel they are adjusted correctly? They dont effect the top end like the jets do, more of the mid range of the RPM band.

Next is the idle mixture screws, make sure both sides match. They will help a little with the consistency of the engines idle, but they help more with the bikes ability to go back to idle. So, blip the throttle, what happens? Does your RPM hang, or shoot back to what its set at? Or does it shoot back, and dip below your idle settings then slowly climb back up to idle?

Then sync them, the 2 bottle methode is perfect for this and cost like $6 to make the tool

If you start from the top and work your way through the bottom then everything should be perfect by the time you are done with syncing your carbs. Hope this is legible... And helps :lol:

just go over and do it for him

Motofool
February 28th, 2013, 05:55 PM
just go over and do it for him

Is Orange County near Tujunga? :confused: :confused: :confused: