View Full Version : HID Kit Evaluation

Yakaru
March 3rd, 2013, 04:00 PM
Hey guys, I'm considering getting HIDs for my new bike at some point, but I want to make sure I do it right -- I've seen cars with the cruddy kits that basically blind oncoming traffic. A UK car group even did a video on it:

Y5n38wDe684

Can anyone tell me what needs to be done in order to make sure I get great beams to increase my vision and visibility and not just a glare fest?

With that in mind, does anyone have any kit recommendations? I've seen the kit from bkmoto is already out for the 300 but I have no idea if it is any good. Any others?

tfkrocks
March 3rd, 2013, 05:44 PM
I've heard good things about BK Moto, which are projectors that point the light in an appropriate direction. You can adjust where the light is pointing, which is part of the install process actually. Different from just putting in HID bulbs in the bike as is, which would be blinding and pretty useless.

xSean13
March 3rd, 2013, 06:00 PM
bkmoto looks beast. Basically what you need is a piece of metal or something to cutoff the light at a certain point, mainly just below the eye level of oncoming traffic.

choneofakind
March 3rd, 2013, 06:11 PM
theretrofitsource.com. I'm using a knock off of one of their projectors and it's awesome. They have components that are very close to oem quality. Their ballasts have the ignitors built into them, and they warm up in significantly less time than mine does. FWIW, my next bike will get bixenons from theretrofitsource because of the quality of their parts.

I personally think that bkmoto projectors don't look as nice as the retrofit source products.

If you're doing HID, do a projector retrofit. If you're like some members who are hell bent on doing a drop-in kit because it's easy, only do the low-beam side so you still have a functional flashable high beam.

Yakaru
March 3rd, 2013, 06:14 PM
theretrofitsource.com. I'm using a knock off of one of their projectors and it's awesome. They have components that are very close to oem quality. Their ballasts have the ignitors built into them, and they warm up in significantly less time than mine does. FWIW, my next bike will get bixenons from theretrofitsource because of the quality of their parts.

I personally think that bkmoto projectors don't look as nice as the retrofit source products.

If you're doing HID, do a projector retrofit. If you're like some members who are hell bent on doing a drop-in kit because it's easy, only do the low-beam side so you still have a functional flashable high beam.

Nope; I want to do it right. I'll take a look chone, thanks.

Joshorilla
March 3rd, 2013, 06:17 PM
Personally, I wouldn't bother, it's an expensive upgrade for very little gain.

choneofakind
March 3rd, 2013, 06:21 PM

say whaa? Have you ever ridden with an xenon setup? The night vision is absolutely fantastic. The wide lighting alone is worth the time and effort because it allows you to see animals off the side of the road.

Yakaru
March 3rd, 2013, 06:22 PM

Momaru speaks very highly of his, and I trust his opinion pretty much automatically.

We were originally planning to just redo his setup (which was a full on scratch build) for me but since I'm on a 300 now I'm doing the research.

S1att3r
March 3rd, 2013, 06:27 PM
If you do get one I expect a full write up with detailed pictures Yakaru.:D

Joshorilla
March 3rd, 2013, 06:30 PM
say whaa? Have you ever ridden with an xenon setup? The night vision is absolutely fantastic. The wide lighting alone is worth the time and effort because it allows you to see animals off the side of the road.

I'm sure having lighting that spans a greater distance than is legally allowed where i live would be an advantage to visability, but the stock headlights on my ninja more than suffice for me.

I've never had any problems with visibility in day or night, i've rode in several kraut waggons with blue lights and I don't like the way they give everything a blue cast making everything seem well illuminated yet monochromatic, the slightly warm yellow is nicer for me as I am able to make out a larger colour gamut which I value greater than sheer intensity, however if I could get a 6500k bulb for my bike I would think that a worthwhile upgrade.

I don't think i've ever needed to use full beams on my bike, I only use them to flash other road users.

choneofakind
March 3rd, 2013, 06:32 PM
If you do get one I expect a full write up with detailed pictures Yakaru.:D

This is diwhiteii's bike
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=23122&d=1361046385
He did a great job with his retrofit

Check out his thread (http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?p=644857)and go skim a bit at the other ninja 300 site to see more retrofits.

S1att3r
March 3rd, 2013, 06:32 PM
I'm sure having lighting that spans a greater distance than is legally allowed where i live would be an advantage to visability, but the stock headlights on my ninja more than suffice for me.

I've never had any problems with visibility in day or night, i've rode in several kraut waggons with blue lights and I don't like the way they give everything a blue cast making everything seem well illuminated yet monochromatic, the slightly warm yellow is nicer for me as I am able to make out a larger colour gamut which I value greater than sheer intensity, however if I could get a 6500k bulb for my bike I would think that a worthwhile upgrade.

Most true HID conversions produce white light not that super white which is blue.

choneofakind
March 3rd, 2013, 06:40 PM

I've never had any problems with visibility in day or night, i've rode in several kraut waggons with blue lights and I don't like the way they give everything a blue cast making everything seem well illuminated yet monochromatic, the slightly warm yellow is nicer for me as I am able to make out a larger colour gamut which I value greater than sheer intensity

You can aim them down so they comply with headlight laws. That's exactly what car manufacturers who make xenon headlights do. The cutoff stops light from going any further than what is legal. They're still going to spread a wider beam than the halogens and illuminate the sides.

You can also get HID setups in 4300k that are pure white. That's what I have. I can't stand the blue headlights.

choneofakind
March 3rd, 2013, 06:41 PM
Most true HID conversions produce white light not that super white which is blue.

Actually, they produce super white light. The blue you see is from light refracting over the top of the cut-off gate inside the projector. Painting the cut-off gate with high temp flat black gets rid of this blue spectrum right at the cut-off.

That said, you can get bulbs in any color from bright yellow to magenta.

Joshorilla
March 3rd, 2013, 06:46 PM
The laws here are very funny, they don't just have to be aimed down, they have to have a cut off point and give an even spread of light within a maximum and minimum lumen level etc.

I doubt any conversion kit fited by an amateur without the proper tools to measure given output across the spread of the beam could comply to law, that's why they are such a hot topic here as you can see in the video.

choneofakind
March 3rd, 2013, 06:54 PM
...soooo then why are we telling Yakaru, who isn't where you are, that they aren't worth it? They put out even light all over (more even than the stock halogen setup btw) and if you're that concerned with it, oem projectors from other cars are always cheap on ebay.

ANYHOW, Yakaru, go for it. I love my bixenon setup. I know others on here who will give a great review of what they're using as well. It is well worth the money if you're looking for more light off to the sides and even light everywhere in front of you without blinding traffic.

Joshorilla
March 3rd, 2013, 07:13 PM
...... Sooo what I am saying is they are illegal here for a reason, it may not be illegal in other places but that doesn't qualify it as right, turns out they are illegal in the USA also.

While I am not arguing their output would increase visability, I am sure they would aid your visibility a lot, yet i'm not a fan of the lights narrow colour band, I am arguing their legality, and your assumption they aren't dazzling oncoming road users which is unfounded.

I looked on theretrofitsource.com none are DOT compliant, only "dot style" which is a cunning use of wording to fool you.

So, at the end of the day, if you choose to ride with these lights and you happen to be in a road traffic collision and it's totally the other drivers fault yet their insurance team highlights your usage of non dot compliant headlights and the other driver says "I was momenterally blinded" you won't have a leg to stand on.

http://www.hella.com/produktion/HellaUSA/WebSite/Channels/Drivers/Tested_and_Approved.jsp

choneofakind
March 3rd, 2013, 07:29 PM
I am arguing their legality, and your assumption they aren't dazzling oncoming road users which is unfounded.

They don't 'dazzle'; they're a projector. That's the point.

OEM, DOT compliant bixenon setups in cars are the same way. There's a cut-off and no dazzling. The only time they 'dazzle' is when you crest a hill and catch someone coming up towards you.

I have not referenced your traffic laws; stop trying to tell me mine. I'm aware that projectors that are not an OEM part in a vehicle technically aren't legal, but they're a lot better than using an HID kit in a halogen reflector. Again, the cutoff is clean and doesn't blind people, and the light is perfectly even, no hot spots at all. That's why I was suggesting it for Yakaru. A projector retrofit is worth the money.

Now, if you have further issues with my posts, please PM me. I'm done mucking up Yakaru's thread.

Yakaru, I'm sorry for turning your thread into a bickering fest. Please do what you want with your headlights.

Yakaru
March 3rd, 2013, 07:37 PM
It's okay :P

For whatever it's worth, LOTS of upgrades/mods done to bikes are technically illegal. Fender Eliminators, Aftermarket Exhausts, etc.

Also, not trying to be a jerk but the original line used was "very little gain" not "of questionable legality" -- I think you're just searching for a justification Joshorilla. :)

Anyway, I'll keep up with the research and see what I can find. If I do it I'm going to do it right and thus won't be blinding anyone. I'll also check and find out which states use DOT headlight rules and which don't (interesting fact for those overseas: in the US road laws are set by the individual state, not the federal govt).

Joshorilla
March 3rd, 2013, 07:38 PM
I do not recomend you get this lighting setup Yakaru, while it may improve your visibility, it's technically not road legal as it isn't DOT compliant, which could invalidate your insurance in the unlikely event of a crash, and i'd hate to feel i've not made myself vocal if you were to be sued for the full price of somebodies medical fee's and car etc, ontop of your own medical fee's and bike etc if someone were to plow into you, or if you were to have an accident yourself.

That is all I have to say on the matter.

tfkrocks
March 3rd, 2013, 07:47 PM
Going the route of projectors is far safer than just throwing in HID bulbs in the stock setup like some idiots might do whether it be in their car or bike. Those are the people that cause blinding (and I suspect way too many cars do that).

And really, motorcycle crashes tend to be because you aren't seen at all...

azn370z
March 3rd, 2013, 10:32 PM
You will need projectors to prevent light from reflecting in all directions.

I have a zx6r and it has oem projectors so all I needed was the hid bulb and ballast. You can see the sharp cutoff line. I have philips 4300k bulb but I'm switching it out for 6500k. I got the hid to make myself more visible during the daytime and the 4300k was too yellow for my taste.

http://i890.photobucket.com/albums/ac104/azn370z/IMG_0747_zpsf277f20a.jpg

http://i890.photobucket.com/albums/ac104/azn370z/IMG_0740_zps6fe3a473.jpg

Surferboy120
March 7th, 2013, 09:28 PM
I do not recomend you get this lighting setup Yakaru, while it may improve your visibility, it's technically not road legal as it isn't DOT compliant, which could invalidate your insurance in the unlikely event of a crash, and i'd hate to feel i've not made myself vocal if you were to be sued for the full price of somebodies medical fee's and car etc, ontop of your own medical fee's and bike etc if someone were to plow into you, or if you were to have an accident yourself.

That is all I have to say on the matter.

You are incorrect on that even in your country. With a projector setup you can easily make any of these setups DOT legal and give a better quality light output without blinding anyone. If you truely dive into the world of retrofits you will soon see the benefits of them. Go checkout any high end cars these days as they use HIDs in a projector for all the reasons mentioned above. I am glad you feel your lights are adequate but for others its a worthwhile mod.