View Full Version : What do you do with your tank bag?

93etgocart
March 7th, 2013, 05:46 PM
What do you do with your tank bag while away from the bike? Not like when its in the garage but when you go into a store or something? My bag came with a little shoulder strap but most of the time I already have a backpack so it would end up hanging on my side or something.

tfkrocks
March 7th, 2013, 05:56 PM
I carry it with me. If I have a tank bag, chances are that it's my only bag and I needed it to carry stuff at wherever I'm going anyway.

xSean13
March 7th, 2013, 06:23 PM
If I'm going to class, I used the backpack straps that came with it. If I'm running into the store, I just leave it and put my disc lock alarm on if the area is sketchy. I also always park my bike right in front of the store entrance, either by the door or in the white striped area of the parking lot at the front.

ryanG19
March 8th, 2013, 06:17 AM
I leave it on my bike. I've never had an issue and I don't leave anything valuable in it. Mines sun faded from black to a purplish black so I'm sure no one wants it anyway.

MistahT
March 8th, 2013, 06:38 AM
I leave it on my bike. I've never had an issue and I don't leave anything valuable in it. Mines sun faded from black to a purplish black so I'm sure no one wants it anyway.

In my area it doesn't matter if its full or empty... if you leave something on your bike, consider it gone.

93etgocart
March 8th, 2013, 09:12 AM
Well ive always left my tail bag on it wherever I go but I paid a considerable amount more for the tank bag and was kinda worried. I guess ill just have to judge the area and use that to judge if im going to leave it or not

slickt0mmy
March 8th, 2013, 03:19 PM
I live in a generally low-crime area. Small town feel, and all that. So if I'm just running into the store for a minute I'll leave it on the bike. I've never had any problems. I've left my helmet with the bike too, before. But if I ride to work and my bike will be unattended in the parking lot for hours at a time, I'll bring it in with me.

Kevin1956
April 12th, 2014, 09:24 PM
Some tank bags and will have D rings on them for a carry strap or backpack straps. I replaced the left plastic D ring on mine with a metal one. I run a cable gun lock through the D ring and around the handlebars inward of the clutch cable. Mine is identical to this one. Note the words "Not for resale" on the lock. These are given away free of charge by police departments. Works great as a full face helmet lock too. I hang the helmet on the left passenger peg then run the lock through the helmet and the peg's mounting bracket. The cable has a plastic coating to avoid scratching.

misfitsailor
April 12th, 2014, 09:33 PM
I am a big fan of carrying it with me when I have to be separated from the bike on a ride. Years ago in Sacramento, someone unbuckled and walked away with my tank bag while parked briefly at a public park! :eek:

Once bitten, twice shy...

capt_bugaloo
April 12th, 2014, 09:54 PM
My Wolfman tank bag has a handle on the top. That's how it gets carried, obviously.

NevadaWolf
April 12th, 2014, 10:44 PM
I leave mine on it, tends to only have a tupperware full of munchies in it.

psych0hans
April 12th, 2014, 11:39 PM
I always carry mind with me, regardless... It's magnetic so no issues pulling it off, and has straps so I can lug it about

redbike2
April 19th, 2014, 03:37 PM
use a bag on the rear seat.

always take it with me.

sooner or later some will take it off the bike. figure, its better to take it than buy a new one after some steals it.

greenaero
April 20th, 2014, 07:24 PM
I don't use my tankbags very often, using either the aerotrunk or the cargo area of the streamliner most of the time. But when I do use a tankbag I do the following: If I'm just runing a short errnd like shopping or having a meal I leave the tankbag. If I'm going to stopped for more than an hour or two I detact the bag and take it with me.

Sirref
April 20th, 2014, 07:27 PM
my car doesn't even have working locks so I'm used to taking things with me. Most of the time I would actually need to bring the bag with me though once I get it. I wouldn't be afraid to leave it on the bike for a few minutes though if I'm grabbing something from a convenience store. So long as nothing valuable is in it that is.

fishdip
April 20th, 2014, 07:56 PM
I carry mine around like a man purse.

cuong-nutz
April 20th, 2014, 08:11 PM

Yep same here

misfitsailor
April 20th, 2014, 08:26 PM

Yakaru
April 20th, 2014, 09:04 PM
I've only used mine on road trips, mostly to hold the GPS/phone since I can wire them up to my battery tender; when I stop for a short time (e.g. lunch) I usually leave the bag on the bike but empty those items into my backpack or purse as appropriate. When turning in for the night I take the whole bag into the hotel/house with me.

kirk595x
April 20th, 2014, 10:10 PM
I use mine every ride. I just carry it with me. If shopping carts are available I just toss it and my helmet in the cart.

iplante
April 22nd, 2014, 07:19 PM
If there's nothing in my trunk, I lock it in. Otherwise I leave it on the bike.

CZroe
May 10th, 2014, 05:52 PM
It's my man purse that goes everywhere I go. It has my laptop, so no way am I leaving it anywhere!

LittleRedNinjette
May 10th, 2014, 06:59 PM
If im in a "good" area I'll leave it on the bike for a sort run into Quick Check or something.

Anyplace else I have a strap from an old purse I had laying around that I can clip om to the handle.

Hossua
June 5th, 2014, 06:29 AM
This thread reminds me of my frustration with establishments with "no backpack" policies while riding a bike. Usually devlolved into me wearing it anyway and complaining about all the women allowed to carry purses.

verboten1
June 5th, 2014, 06:36 AM
I haven't removed the tank bag on my KLR in years, unless I'm going off road.

CZroe
June 5th, 2014, 06:44 AM
This thread reminds me of my frustration with establishments with "no backpack" policies while riding a bike. Usually devlolved into me wearing it anyway and complaining about all the women allowed to carry purses.
I carry mine everywhere. I haven't had to argue that yet but that is the exact argument I had prepared. :thumbup:
It truly is my manbag. :)