View Full Version : Used 2008 Prices

maxedpenny
January 27th, 2009, 09:00 PM
I am wondering everyone thinks a 2008 250 in perfect condition should be worth. Do you think the value will have gone up because the 09 models price jump?

Angel-be-Good
January 27th, 2009, 10:53 PM
Your poll doesn't go high enough.

ScraitT
January 27th, 2009, 11:07 PM
I would have to agree that your poll doesn't go high enough. I would say around 4000.
Now technically speaking, the bike shouldn't be worth that, BUT given the demand for this bike and the price hike in the 09s, you can get 4000 easily for an 08 in perfect condition. And personally, if I were selling my bike, whether it's fair or not, I'm getting every penny out of it I can.

kkim
January 27th, 2009, 11:08 PM
I think a lot will depend on mileage and location.

Viper-Byte
January 28th, 2009, 01:40 AM
Also, it depends on what currency you are talking about, remember we have members from all over the world ;)

I think an 08 Ninja with low kms in NZ would be worth about $6500-7000 NZD (new 09s are just about $8000)

SF-Dug
February 4th, 2009, 05:17 PM
I bought mine for $3800 USD last year around December. It only had around 846 miles and was in perfect condition. That was a pretty good deal considering that I lived in Northern California and the 2009's had yet to arrive at stealer..I mean dealerships.

TnNinjaGirl
February 4th, 2009, 05:39 PM
I hope it's high. The higher the '08's are the more my '09 is worth. :)

With that said, I bought an '09 because I couldn't find an '08 for less than what a new bike costs. The one I was looking at, the guy wanted $3800. This is for an '08 with 1200 miles and no warranty. My '09 was $3999 with a warranty and all that good stuff. Even got a free tank of gas!!!

OldGuy
February 4th, 2009, 06:42 PM
I think you need another tier in the poll also. Maybe just make it a >selection. The other factor that isn't offered is are you talking "pure" stock and I mean off the show room floor - no tail bobs, flush turn signals, exhaust mods, etc.:eek:

I know, but how would you factor these into the price?

maxedpenny
February 4th, 2009, 07:04 PM
I dont think I cant edit the poll. But if Alex can feel free to edit it to go higher. The poll was for a stock bike. I dont know how upgrades would factor in. Because its not like you put on a $500 exhaust and your bike is worth 500 more.

Alex
February 4th, 2009, 08:01 PM
But if Alex can feel free to edit it to go higher.

Poll fixed. :thumbup:

Alex
February 4th, 2009, 08:04 PM
Any modifications from stock rarely help resale value of a motorcycle one iota. If anything they hurt the value; used buyers are looking for the least-molested, closest to stock bike in the best condition they can find.

Seems like all that modifications can do when selling a bike is either speed up the sale process (if they are popular mods and you find a buyer who wants the same things), or slow down the sale process (if they are strange mods that aren't appreciated by anyone but you).

A $3500 motorcycle + $500 exhaust + $250 in aux lighting + $300 custom seat = $3500 used motorcycle for sale.

That's why as a seller, you make out best by removing all mods you can as you're selling the bike, and parting them out separately to get at least some return on them. I love the craigslist ads where some clueless newbie adds up every dollar they've ever spent on the bike, including maintenance, (heck, why not gas?), puts a huge total at the bottom, and expects someone to knock on their door and hand them a huge check that exactly equals everything they've ever spent. A fun corollary is that same type of buyer who managed to purchase a $9k motorcycle for $14K by not looking at anything past the $99/month initial payments, and expects someone else to dig them out of that hole with a $14K check out of the goodness of their hearts. :rotflmao:

OldGuy
February 4th, 2009, 09:14 PM
A fun corollary is that same type of buyer who managed to purchase a $9k motorcycle for $14K by not looking at anything past the $99/month initial payments, and expects someone else to dig them out of that hole with a $14K check out of the goodness of their hearts. :rotflmao:

Isn't this what the TARP funds were supposed to be used for? :usa2:

On no wait, that is one of the items in the stimulus package being "debated" right now.

If you check the NADA web site or KBB they are showing a used 2008 to be in the 2695 to 2730 range. :(

komohana
February 4th, 2009, 09:22 PM
Isn't this what the TARP funds were supposed to be used for? :usa2:

On no wait, that is one of the items in the stimulus package being "debated" right now.

:lol:

i'm picking you when we choose up teams! :cheers:

OldGuy
February 4th, 2009, 09:29 PM
:lol:

i'm picking you when we choose up teams! :cheers:

Awh shucks :embarassed:

stroked59
February 4th, 2009, 09:47 PM
i guess i should put all the stock stuff back on the one i have listed and maybe it will sell...... ill have to update my thread:thumbup:

ninjabrewer
February 4th, 2009, 11:20 PM
I think a lot will depend on mileage and location.

And what the local craigslist sellers are getting. I bought mine used, 1200 miles, 5 months old and paid 4K,(I think his cost was well over 5K OTD) I looked at blue book/NADA to get an idea and low balled it, till he showed me a few on craigslist, and those went fast.
Here in the islands, there is really no place to go if there is none here. On the mainland, it is easy to drive to another state, but until they get the Trans-Pacific bridge built, :rolleyes: , you get the idea.

NB

noche_caliente
February 5th, 2009, 08:31 PM
I saw one on a forum that shall remain nameless today that did exactly what Alex was talking about - close to 3k miles on it, wanting $5k for it! right! Honestly, part of the reason I wanted to buy a new one was that I don't know what someone may have doen to it themselves like trying to shim or rejet that don't know what they were doing - no thank you!