View Full Version : Something that bothers me...

aloh
January 27th, 2009, 11:54 PM
I cant stand shows like Superbikes on Speed because of how many people they show that do not wear helmets when riding. That really bothers me for some reason.

I do not understand why anybody would ride without wearing at LEAST a helmet...

/rant

Kurosaki
January 28th, 2009, 12:38 AM
I've heard the excuse before that was something like "I would rather die in an accident then be sitting up in a hospital for a year with broken bones and rash"

Or something morbid like that...

There's tons of "reasons" people choose to not wear helmets or other articles of gear but that one came to mind first.

kkim
January 28th, 2009, 01:13 AM
I've never heard a good reason for not wearing a helmet.

Viper-Byte
January 28th, 2009, 01:44 AM
IMO there is NO reason not to wear one. They are not hard to wear and put on.

I guess a lot of it is the 'image' but still it is not a very valid reason over personal safety. and I think a helmet and all the gear is cool :thumbup:

BlueTyke
January 28th, 2009, 07:06 AM
I have heard the lame one of "It's not a law in this state" and I was like sooooo?

Though I like everyone else see no reason not to wear one.

TrueFaith
January 28th, 2009, 07:26 AM
Actually, SuperBikes is getting better than it has been in the past. Just about every episode I've seen this year has had at least one recommendation to gear up. Last season they were doing a group ride and Jason was making the rounds checking out everyone's gear before the ride and I was surprised how many sportbikers were wearing knee protection. Last night's episode had a group ride and I don't recall seeing one rider who wasn't wearing a helmet, which was a big difference from last year. I have no interest in stunting whatsoever, but I have to give Jason props for trying to make the show at least a little more safety-concious as they get more viewers.

CC Cowboy
January 28th, 2009, 08:03 AM
I don't like the name of the show. It should be stunt riders. There is little coverage of superbikes. I'd rather have a show about sportbikes (reviews and riding them) or superbikes (racing, setup, tech stuff) than all this stunt coverage which although is done by professionals I think incourages kids (which aren't professional) to try the stunts.

HKr1
January 28th, 2009, 02:18 PM
^Something like "Top Gear" for bikes would be kinda cool too.

KJohnson21
January 28th, 2009, 06:36 PM
My local riding club has some people who are members of ABATE, a motorcycle rights organization. I have really mixed feelings about ABATE, they do a toy run every year at Christmas and represent motorcyclists on a number issues in the state, but one the opinions they push is that, "helmets are dangerous" because the weight of the helmet puts extra strain on the riders neck, or some BS like that. All the ABATE advocates I know don't even wear DOT helmets, they wear novelty helmets. /rant

On SuperBikes!, Jason Britton usually tries to push safety when he can. But it's scary how casual or nonexistent the attitude towards safety is in some of the cities he visits.

Bill05
January 28th, 2009, 08:08 PM
Yeah he's always telling people to wear gear when I watch. I dont like watching it cause it makes me wanna sell my bike and buy a big bike. And then do stupid **** with it

TrueFaith
January 28th, 2009, 10:43 PM
I don't like the name of the show. It should be stunt riders. There is little coverage of superbikes. I'd rather have a show about sportbikes (reviews and riding them) or superbikes (racing, setup, tech stuff) than all this stunt coverage which although is done by professionals I think incourages kids (which aren't professional) to try the stunts.

Don't forget all that foolish "gangsta" baloney. What the hell do bikes have to do with rap music? I really don't even know why I watch that show at all between the stunting and the N.W.A. posing. Probably because I'll watch just about anything about bikes, no matter how bad...:D

NJD022588
January 29th, 2009, 12:23 AM
Probably because I'll watch just about anything about bikes, no matter how bad...:D

Me too. Just trying to get my motorcycle fix during winter. :D

Sailariel
January 30th, 2009, 12:37 PM
My local riding club has some people who are members of ABATE, a motorcycle rights organization. I have really mixed feelings about ABATE, they do a toy run every year at Christmas and represent motorcyclists on a number issues in the state, but one the opinions they push is that, "helmets are dangerous" because the weight of the helmet puts extra strain on the riders neck, or some BS like that. All the ABATE advocates I know don't even wear DOT helmets, they wear novelty helmets. /rant

On SuperBikes!, Jason Britton usually tries to push safety when he can. But it's scary how casual or nonexistent the attitude towards safety is in some of the cities he visits.

Ken, ABATE is a very strong lobby in Maine. They were instrumental in negotiating a "Compromise" Get this; The law states that in the first year that you have your MC License, a helmet is mandatory (nothing abour DOT). After the first year it is optional. Their reasoning was that the legislature would be more apt to pass this law if this "concern" was in the language. The rationale was that people who liked helmets would continue to wear them. Of course, anybody who has even a sliver of knowledge of psychology, can predict the outcome. Wearing a helmet brands you as a newbie- so not wearing one is a sort of rite of passage. These same cretins are now lobbying for making straight pipes legal because being heard makes motorcycling safer. I hope our legislators can see through this drivel. End of my rant.

KJohnson21
January 30th, 2009, 02:00 PM
These same cretins are now lobbying for making straight pipes legal because being heard makes motorcycling safer. I hope our legislators can see through this drivel.

Yeah, I hear that concept alot from them.

The latest bill I heard ABATE endorsing would enable the police to immediately confiscate your bike if you're cited for going over 100mph. Well, if it applies to all types of vehicles, I might understand the theory. But, if I heard it right, it would only apply to motorcycles. Basically it would be an anti-sportbike law, and ABATE's endorsing the bill. Gosh, what's their agenda? :rolleyes:

I don't want to sound like I'm saying that it's OK for sportbike riders to ride around at 100+ (if they can ;)), but it's basic physics. Which has more energy on impact? A 300 to 500 pound motorcycle at 100+, or a 3,000 to 5,000 pound car at 100+? (numbers chosen for general accuracy only.)

Sailariel
January 30th, 2009, 06:18 PM
Ken, We are not talking rocket science here. Just look at the lead sleds those cretins are riding--complete with fingerless gloves, chaps like one would wear in a rodeo, a plethora of tasteless tatoos, etc. Every day is Haloween! The only thing they say that makes any sense is "Let those who ride decide" Judging what I have read on this forum--sport bike riders are a pretty sharp group. We would ride with helmets and protective clothes if there was a law or not. That is because we plan to enjoy riding for a long time. Let me draw you an equally absurd picture-- A rider on a 1000cc Kawa sportbike wearing a T-Shirt, shorts, flip flops, and a baseball hat on backwards. Is that cool or what?

aloh
February 2nd, 2009, 04:04 PM
I honestly like wearing all the gear. It looks way cooler than shorts and a tee...

noche_caliente
February 2nd, 2009, 05:12 PM
I love that it gives me a reason to be a smart ass sometimes! It still cracks me up when I go into the dealership for something and they're like "do you have your bike with you?" My response is typically, "No! I just like to dress up like a Power Ranger for fun!":rolleyes:

TnNinjaGirl
February 2nd, 2009, 06:40 PM
One thing I have noticed is that sportbike riders do wear more gear. Usually the best leathers, best helmets, best gloves, etc... The cruiser riders I see run around in jeans and t-shirts.

Perfect example... I ride a sportbike and have proper (textile) riding gear, calf high riding boots and gloves with carbon fiber knuckles and finger tops. Our painter rides a Harley and wears jeans, a t-shirt (sometimes a jacket) and his Harley boots. He complains about us "damn kids and your sportbikes." His Harley is alot louder than my Ninja and his riding gear is alot less complex. What about us "damn kids"? Damn us for being safe and responsible? Why can't we all just get along?

kazam58
February 2nd, 2009, 06:54 PM
His Harley is alot louder than my Ninja
that bothers me so much. I hear complaints about the noise from sportbikes (and yes, about them damn kids making too much noise too, lol) but everytime I hear one of them Harley's accelerate I want to warn my local news team that the graph on the Richter Scale is a false alarm. They are SO MUCH louder than my little ninjette. Though this may change in time with a good exhaust...
Being safe is most important when riding a bike, and I feel that usually the sportbike riders I see, as few as there are, are in full gear. The only piece of gear I don't wear always is riding pants, because I often use the bike for short scoots around town, and jeans are simply that much more practical. But I got myself a pair of Icon pants that look and feel more "normal" for christmas, so that should change too.

Sailariel
February 2nd, 2009, 06:56 PM
I love that it gives me a reason to be a smart ass sometimes! It still cracks me up when I go into the dealership for something and they're like "do you have your bike with you?" My response is typically, "No! I just like to dress up like a Power Ranger for fun!":rolleyes:

Great line! I`ll have to remember that one. One of the best lines I heard last summer was when a couple of HD riders came roaring down the hill to our harbour and pulled in to the space next to me and my friend on his Honda ZR600. They were in their full regalia. This grossly obese woman slid off one of the bikes and said, "Do you really want to be near this Jap Scrap--people might think we are riding with them." My friend, without missing a beat, says, "Of course they will think you were riding with us, since we have been here for 45 minutes." They didn`t stay around.

noche_caliente
February 2nd, 2009, 06:56 PM
The only piece of gear I don't wear always is riding pants, because I often use the bike for short scoots around town, and jeans are simply that much more practical. But I got myself a pair of Icon pants that look and feel more "normal" for christmas, so that should change too.

Just remember, the short scoots are just as likely to get you.... what's that statistic about most accidents happening near the home?

kazam58
February 2nd, 2009, 06:59 PM
what's that statistic about most accidents happening near the home?
Yea, they told me most accidents happen within 10 miles of my home. That's why I moved. :p

In all seriousness, I know, that's why I bought the Icon pants, at least I won't get rashed from sliding down the road this way.

BlueTyke
February 2nd, 2009, 06:59 PM

Hehehe I have done that... "do you ride?" "Nope the Black Ranger was always my favorite"

komohana
February 2nd, 2009, 07:04 PM
Just remember, the short scoots are just as likely to get you.... what's that statistic about most accidents happening near the home?

YES...most accidents happen within "X" amount of miles from home...or the short rides...
i was at the local watering hole and a friend and i decided to ride to the beach..not 2 miles away. i left jacket, helmet and gloves there and we got on the bike..he wearing shorts and a tank-top w/flip flops...
long story short i wasn't paying attention well enuff and high-sided avoiding a car in front of me that decided to turn long after his blinkers were on...
he didn't have a scratch on him as he used me as a human surf board to ride the asphalt wave clear to the roadside :crutch:

BlueTyke
February 2nd, 2009, 07:07 PM
Youch!

Gear for me a must. I love the skin I am in. I do of course realize it cannot prevent everything as if you do fall a certain way or travel far enough even gear will not save you from it but it does reduce the amount of it. :)

aloh
February 2nd, 2009, 07:26 PM
Harleys bother me. For some reason, every harley rider finds it necessary to rev the damn thing every time they come to a stop. And when they actually start moving, it is so annoyingly loud. It doesnt even sound good!! I can appreciate the high-revving scream of a I-4 or that eargasmic bellow from a Ducati V-twin...but for some reason, harleys dont appeal to me.

One thing I have noticed is that sportbike riders do wear more gear. Usually the best leathers, best helmets, best gloves, etc... The cruiser riders I see run around in jeans and t-shirts.

I wish this were universally true because around my area, 90% of the bikes are sportbikes. Unfortunately, only have of the time i see the riders wearing proper gear. Many just wear a helmet and gloves, but wear regular shoes and shirts.

Sailariel
February 2nd, 2009, 07:34 PM
Andy, I got a pair of ICON riding pants and they are super .comfortable. I also wear a First leather jacket and Joe Rocket gloves. My boots are of the non MC type. They are a pair of square toed Dingos which I wear a lot--riding or not. Of course I also wear my helmet.

GreezMunky
February 2nd, 2009, 08:24 PM
It doesnt even sound good!! I can appreciate the high-revving scream of a I-4 or that eargasmic bellow from a Ducati V-twin...but for some reason, harleys dont appeal to me.

I am exactly the opposite. I love the sound of Harleys.. To me sitting there listening to it idle it sounds like it's purring. *drools* Then again I still get shivers down my back everytime I floor it from 3rd to 4th and hear the I-6 on my 5.9 Cummins roar to life and my truck takes off. The day I stop feeling that is the day I sell my truck.. (well, maybe not.. :p )

NJD022588
February 4th, 2009, 08:57 PM
what's that statistic about most accidents happening near the home?

I wrecked my car about 100 feet from my driveway. Close enough?

noche_caliente
February 4th, 2009, 09:01 PM
please tell me this wasn't recent?

aloh
February 5th, 2009, 12:04 AM
I wrecked my car about 100 feet from my driveway. Close enough?

How'd you manage that? :(

NJD022588
February 5th, 2009, 04:28 PM
please tell me this wasn't recent?

How'd you manage that? :(

Nope, this was when I was 16 and a week after I got my car. I found out the hard way that my car doesnt have ABS. I did some substantial damage to the guard rail, but all damage to my car was fixed by me in about a week.