View Full Version : First gear click

Bentley813
March 12th, 2013, 09:37 PM
This may be normal, just wanted to be sure. When I drop it into first gear wether from neutral at a standstill or downshifting I feel a very slight clunk. It doesn't lurch or anything it's just much more pronounced than the other gears, like a louder click perhaps. I just worry my clutch lever is too loose or something, hope not though. Anyone care to enlighten me?

Alex
March 12th, 2013, 11:13 PM
Normal.

Firehorse
March 12th, 2013, 11:17 PM
Mine does that but it sounds like not everyone has such a distinct click. I find it kind of reassuring. Had it checked when I first got the bike since I didn't know if there was an issue. Nope, it's fine, just a little louder than average.

On a side note, two other people that had a really loud click into first also went through 2 other odd things like I did. After 500km, I started to have issues with it slipping into neutral, went away at about 900/1000, then the front bearing started to squeak maddeningly, got it replaced (warranty), now no weird stuff for the last 2k. Smooth as glass but I still have a louder click than the big bikes. So either we all learned our riding skills/mistakes at the same rate or it's breaking in issues.:confused20:

Bentley813
March 12th, 2013, 11:39 PM
Phew. That's reassuring. It's not really loud or anything..... just noticable. I'll probably have a list of bullcrap worries for my dealer for my 600 mile service haha.

alex.s
March 13th, 2013, 12:13 AM
your engine is literally going to explode.

Firehorse
March 13th, 2013, 12:16 AM
Phew. That's reassuring. It's not really loud or anything..... just noticable. I'll probably have a list of bullcrap worries for my dealer for my 600 mile service haha.

haha that's normal too :-) Keeps you paying attention to what is going on with your bike. Some of the people on here can tell all kinds of stuff just by the sound. I'm not there yet but someday.

Another new ninja tip: If you've never owned a bike before, take a look at those two hoses under the ninja's belly, both black, both end abruptly ...as though it was cut....:eek:
Normal too, :rolleyes: over flow and intake I think. Sigh. One of my early panics. Funny now but a small heart attack at the time.

Everyone here has been there so when you wonder about something ask, saved me a few times and no one made me feel like an idiot. Even when I was one. :)

Firehorse
March 13th, 2013, 12:18 AM

And then there's Alex.s...

See your posts elsewhere occasionally, good to see you're still here and nothing has upset the balance of the universe.:)

cbinker
March 13th, 2013, 01:39 AM
it is called the "Kawasaki Klunk" almost all kawis have it.

Bentley813
March 13th, 2013, 01:49 AM
Haha I was researching a bit after I made the thread, the guys on the Honda forums call it the Honda clunk. Apparently it can be ever louder on their bikes.

cbinker
March 13th, 2013, 01:50 AM
My ZX6R has a huge clunk to it.

alex.s
March 13th, 2013, 08:06 AM
And then there's Alex.s...

See your posts elsewhere occasionally, good to see you're still here and nothing has upset the balance of the universe.:)

i'm good at clicking links and typing buttons

Firehorse
March 14th, 2013, 02:43 AM
i'm good at clicking links and typing buttons

At least you're good at something, better than being useless. :)

geeker
March 14th, 2013, 03:49 AM
It's how you know you are in 1st gear. It's normal.

nickjpass
March 14th, 2013, 04:11 AM
alex.s is like the only guy who managed to lose the rear under power. cool dude in mah book

alex.s
March 14th, 2013, 09:29 AM
i... err... it wasn't because there was a lot of power.... its because i was gasing the **** out of it leaned all the way over while all the weight was on the front tire... its not skill, its lack of skill.

nickjpass
March 14th, 2013, 10:01 AM
So.

ally99
March 20th, 2013, 04:48 PM

lmao! Dude, you coming to Ga yet? ;) You crack me up! :lol:

alex.s
March 20th, 2013, 05:06 PM
;)

choneofakind
March 20th, 2013, 08:33 PM
alex.s, come to OH with Jiggles. You'd love Mid-Ohio

alex.s
March 20th, 2013, 10:25 PM
eww

nickjpass
March 21st, 2013, 05:31 AM
You react like a two year old lol

drbyatch
April 4th, 2013, 01:52 AM
i... err... it wasn't because there was a lot of power.... its because i was gasing the **** out of it leaned all the way over while all the weight was on the front tire... its not skill, its lack of skill.

are you 2 talking about alex.s' avatar?

psych0hans
April 4th, 2013, 02:33 AM

I call bluff... I think you let one loose mid turn and all that extra thrust made you crash... It's alright, you don't have to lie to us... :thumbup:

alex.s
April 4th, 2013, 10:38 AM
methane boost was too much... VTEC KICKIN IN YO!

tsiratiug
July 2nd, 2013, 06:27 AM
This may be normal, just wanted to be sure. When I drop it into first gear wether from neutral at a standstill or downshifting I feel a very slight clunk. It doesn't lurch or anything it's just much more pronounced than the other gears, like a louder click perhaps. I just worry my clutch lever is too loose or something, hope not though. Anyone care to enlighten me?

Take a test ride on a Triumph. My Bonneville clicks with every change. British bikes have smooth transmissions but you get a definite click on gear changes. Some people like it, others don't. I've heard Ducati's also have a pronounced click.